What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

Doorbell rings. 

“we are here to set up your service?”

me:  umm, I have service. I disconnected then got re connected hours later  

“oh you’ll get new equipment we’ll set it up” 

me: ok sure. 

At their truck on the phone for ten minutes, comes back oh your already connected and your five year old equipment is still good. Have a good day.  

idiots.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Doorbell rings. 

“we are here to set up your service?”

me:  umm, I have service. I disconnected then got re connected hours later  

“oh you’ll get new equipment we’ll set it up” 

me: ok sure. 

At their truck on the phone for ten minutes, comes back oh your already connected and your five year old equipment is still good. Have a good day.  

idiots.  
Mind posting or PM’ing the details of your deal? About to do this song and dance myself. 

Still have a month until my stuff runs out.  Just tried to chat and see if they had anything.    They didn't.   I hate doing this

Mind posting or PM’ing the details of your deal? About to do this song and dance myself. 
It was a process but once in full disconnect status:

$54.01 off for 12 months 

$5.00 for auto pay 

Sunday Ticket Max, HBO/Showtime, $100 Visa Gift Card. 

Just got the "NFL Sunday Ticket Max is free this year for our loyal fans" email again this year, just like last year. No muss, no fuss.  

Notnsure if it's going out to everyone, people who have subscribed X number of years, or what. Won't argue with it though!

Got that last year...nothing so far this year.

My credits have just run out so about to call and do the dance but it will be harder to keep me this year...sunday ticket would be great...but their prices plus their price of internet is just so high compared to even other cable or streaming options (and hell we already pay for netflix, hulu-no commercials, Dis+)  They wanted $85+ taxes for DTV streaming...that was an easy no.  We will see what they can offer next.

need2know said:
Still have a month until my stuff runs out.  Just tried to chat and see if they had anything.    They didn't.   I hate doing this
Yeah...I usually go through the chat first...last year that actually worked out.  Lowered by my bill by about $60, already had the ST Max email for free, and talked them into a $100 gift card on chat.  This year...hey, you can try the streaming service for $85 + tax.  No thanks...but gave me the number supposedly to loyalty.  Time to make the call.

Yeah...I usually go through the chat first...last year that actually worked out.  Lowered by my bill by about $60, already had the ST Max email for free, and talked them into a $100 gift card on chat.  This year...hey, you can try the streaming service for $85 + tax.  No thanks...but gave me the number supposedly to loyalty.  Time to make the call.
Loyalty isn’t great. You need to normally get to Winback. Good Luck.  

Loyalty isn’t great. You need to normally get to Winback. Good Luck.  

I dropped my DTV service on Aug. 11th (but kept my internet service) ...called today and got the whole smear - $70 off (Choice pkg - $69.99) SuperTicket, HBO for a yr/buncha movie channels for 3 mo. free/and $100 VISA card.

Just as we were finalizing stuff - he said he had to send me to WINBACK.  Got them - they started over ...and after a bunch or runaround - found that BECAUSE I HAD INTERNET THEY CONSIDERED ME AN EXISTING CUSTOMER AND I GOT OFFERED CRAP!

offer was:  Choice for $96.99 and HBO for 3 mo. free - ####ers.

Binky The Doormat said:
I dropped my DTV service on Aug. 11th (but kept my internet service) ...called today and got the whole smear - $70 off (Choice pkg - $69.99) SuperTicket, HBO for a yr/buncha movie channels for 3 mo. free/and $100 VISA card.

Just as we were finalizing stuff - he said he had to send me to WINBACK.  Got them - they started over ...and after a bunch or runaround - found that BECAUSE I HAD INTERNET THEY CONSIDERED ME AN EXISTING CUSTOMER AND I GOT OFFERED CRAP!

Ouch.  

Any new options for stand alone red zone channel? Anyone have luck getting this even if paid? 
Nope...

Have to have DTV with ST Max...XFinity with the sports package and more...Fubu, Hulu, Youtube and Sling all have it in their live packages plus sports packages I think.

Any new options for stand alone red zone channel? Anyone have luck getting this even if paid? 

Not that it helps you DTV guys (although maybe it will if you use this in your negotiations), but you can get an add-on sports package on spectrum/time warner for $6/mo, and it includes stand alone red zone. I'm out of market for the Jets, and this plus the NFL game pass will suffice. 

23 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Expand  
Ouch.  

####ers ...first I am really considering other options

####ers ...first I am really considering other options
I am too...Ive thought of staying if they can come down more...but so far no luck getting much.

This would likely have been my last year of it with wanting ST Max once Rodgers is gone...I would just settle for Redzone or hit up the Packer bar if its not a national game and I just really want to see it.

And the issue is its not just DTV...its that we have our internet with them as well (and a home phone my wife refuses to give up).  I can get the full on package of TV, Phone, and internet with Redzone for about $80 cheaper with xfinity.  I have just loathed the way comcast was years ago and refused to go back to them.  But their offers right now are super cheap  when it comes to packaging it all together compared to DTV.

I am too...Ive thought of staying if they can come down more...but so far no luck getting much.

This would likely have been my last year of it with wanting ST Max once Rodgers is gone...I would just settle for Redzone or hit up the Packer bar if its not a national game and I just really want to see it.

And the issue is its not just DTV...its that we have our internet with them as well (and a home phone my wife refuses to give up).  I can get the full on package of TV, Phone, and internet with Redzone for about $80 cheaper with xfinity.  I have just loathed the way comcast was years ago and refused to go back to them.  But their offers right now are super cheap  when it comes to packaging it all together compared to DTV.
If your wife wants a home phone, go and get an Obitalk for $50, get a free Google Voice phone number, and never pay a phone bill again.

Have had one for years and works like a charm. You can even pick your number with Google (if that's still a thing).

If you want to make sure you have 911 service with it, then pay a little more and get an Ooma (you do have to pay monthly taxes as well, roughly $4/month). 

If your wife wants a home phone, go and get an Obitalk for $50, get a free Google Voice phone number, and never pay a phone bill again.

Have had one for years and works like a charm. You can even pick your number with Google (if that's still a thing).

If you want to make sure you have 911 service with it, then pay a little more and get an Ooma (you do have to pay monthly taxes as well, roughly $4/month). 

just one more reason I love this thread...I'm always learning something new.  I was literally telling my wife last week that it time to ditch the AT&T land line and internet and try the T-Mobile internet.  

called and got $60 off 12 months.. Only gave $16 off a month for Sunday ticket so just cancelled since I dont have time to watch until November anyways.

Will call back on Sunday Ticket before the season

swirvenirvin said:
called and got $60 off 12 months.. Only gave $16 off a month for Sunday ticket so just cancelled since I dont have time to watch until November anyways.

I have to call in a few weeks.  Can you post the phone number that you used.   Did you cancel or was your service still active?

Did a quick chat. My promotion is up Sep18. No promotions.available until then. Call back then. I asked about others receiving free Sunday ticket emails and that I haven't seen anything yet. They gave me a number for their NFL team. I think I'll wait a couple more weeks and call and set up a cancel unless like last year which was a first where they gave me the typical discount and after asking the Ticket. First time there. Probably could have gotten more cancelling but went with it. Maybe I cancel this year and do the full game.

I dropped DirecTV two years ago, after having them for nearly two decades.  Just reading through this thread makes me both angry and slightly nauseous, reminding me of how many hours I wasted on the phone with those people over the years.  If I wasn't calling to do the annual "haggle for free NFL ticket," I was calling because they mistakenly charged me for some movie I never rented, they forgot to apply discounts that they'd given me, or some other billing issue.  And, their notes are terrible (it got to the point where I would literally record conversations with them because I couldn't believe they'd remember anything that they promised me).  Hours on the phone every year.  I'm guessing, over the course of 17-18 years, I probably spent in excess of a week on the phone with those *#@&ers.  What a waste of time.

I now have Fubo TV with the red zone.  Costs me like $60-70 per month. Very easy to watch on my phone, laptop, Samsung TV's, etc.  As a Minnesota fan living in CA, do I miss being able to watch the Vikings every week?  Yeah, a little.  But, between the red zone and my lifetime paid for subscription to SiriusXM radio, I listen to the games and see the highlights, while catching the local/national games as well.  And, even though I admit that DirecTV's DVR is far superior to Fubo's, I haven't even thought about ever going back.  I'd stop watching the NFL completely before I'd ever go back.  Not saying that's the answer for everybody, but for anybody who is on the fence about cutting the DTV cord, I'd be surprised if you regret it once you do.  

I dropped DirecTV two years ago, after having them for nearly two decades.  Just reading through this thread makes me both angry and slightly nauseous, reminding me of how many hours I wasted on the phone with those people over the years.  If I wasn't calling to do the annual "haggle for free NFL ticket," I was calling because they mistakenly charged me for some movie I never rented, they forgot to apply discounts that they'd given me, or some other billing issue.  And, their notes are terrible (it got to the point where I would literally record conversations with them because I couldn't believe they'd remember anything that they promised me).  Hours on the phone every year.  I'm guessing, over the course of 17-18 years, I probably spent in excess of a week on the phone with those *#@&ers.  What a waste of time.

I now have Fubo TV with the red zone.  Costs me like $60-70 per month. Very easy to watch on my phone, laptop, Samsung TV's, etc.  As a Minnesota fan living in CA, do I miss being able to watch the Vikings every week?  Yeah, a little.  But, between the red zone and my lifetime paid for subscription to SiriusXM radio, I listen to the games and see the highlights, while catching the local/national games as well.  And, even though I admit that DirecTV's DVR is far superior to Fubo's, I haven't even thought about ever going back.  I'd stop watching the NFL completely before I'd ever go back.  Not saying that's the answer for everybody, but for anybody who is on the fence about cutting the DTV cord, I'd be surprised if you regret it once you do.  
I can't give up the Vikings yet. Two more seasons and the ticket is elsewhere. I'm guessing Amazon. Other than the yearly hassle direcTV has been for the most part painless for me. Well I mean I did have some technical issues a while.back with on demand not working which was annoying but before them I had Cox and it seemed like their DVRs were going bad constantly. I might go back to Cox in a couple years. We'll see how DTV evolves with the ATT spinoff. Who knows, maybe it will turn some stuff around.

I can't give up the Vikings yet. Two more seasons and the ticket is elsewhere. I'm guessing Amazon. Other than the yearly hassle direcTV has been for the most part painless for me. Well I mean I did have some technical issues a while.back with on demand not working which was annoying but before them I had Cox and it seemed like their DVRs were going bad constantly. I might go back to Cox in a couple years. We'll see how DTV evolves with the ATT spinoff. Who knows, maybe it will turn some stuff around.
I get it.  It's not an easy decision.  For some reason, I also feel like I get more done while multi-tasking with the RZ and/or radio going, versus sitting glued to the TV watching the Vikes.  And, between the couple of nationally televised games and a couple more where I might go watch it somewhere, I still end up watching a handful of their games in full.  

And, yes, as bad and frustrating as DirecTV was for me, cable was worse (before Fubo, I tried Spectrum for a while).  Talk about completely incompetent people, from the ones on the phone who sign you up to the "technicians" who do the installs.  Brutal.  

I've been a DTV subscriber since 2005 and have had Sunday Ticket every year. I typically call once a year in August to ask about deals. I called the 888-333-0804 number today (saw it listed earlier in this thread). I spoke to someone foreign-sounding and said I'm a longtime subscriber and heard that others had gotten Sunday Ticket Max for no charge, and I wanted to ask if I qualify. She asked if I had gotten it for free last year, and I said I couldn't remember (true). She asked me to wait, and after a few minutes, she said I qualify for Sunday Ticket Max. She also said I had a credit of $60 off my bill per month for 12 months, and that was expiring in September, so she renewed that. Total time was 15 minutes. 

UPDATE:

I waited 4 more days and called the new customer number.  I didn't discuss that I had internet and they didn't mention my existing internet account when they put in my name and phone number (which has always brought it up in the past).

I got all the stuff - $69.99 Choice pkg, free SuperTicket, HBO free for a year, big group of movie channels free for 3 months (Cinemax/Showtime/Starz/Epix), and the $100 VISA GC.

They did a new install with new boxes and remotes (mine were super old).  Here's the new twist ...it's crazy because their customer service is SOOOOOOO BAD.

I got a call from a local customer service person ...just wants to see how the install went and if he could be of any help.  Well ...I have always had issues getting the various movie channels loaded through my firestick - and the ATT/Direct TV website has always been a cluster. And apparently now I have 2 different ATT account numbers (existing internet ...and my new Direct TV account ...not sure).

The guy offers to come to my house at my convenience and get it all set up - f'n sweet. Have him coming tomorrow afternoon.  

Anyone else had this? 

I have to call in a few weeks.  Can you post the phone number that you used.   Did you cancel or was your service still active?
the normal 1800 directv number

just said cancel then went to rep and said bill was too high and they said we found $60 off.. Could have been done in 5 minutes if I didnt putz around with Sunday Ticket trying to get that for free

Was dreading the call...that was freaking easy this year.

So...had gone through the chat the other day as my first effort.  I do each year as every now and then it has been successful.  Nothing that first try.

Got on my account on the website to look over my bill and prepare my little game plan before calling.  Decided to try the chat again...and have them remove Showtime as some free 3 month thing had run out and I was not going to actually pay to not watch things on Showtime.

Anyway...she had removed that and I asked about any promotions available...after a few minutes of "looking", my phone rang with an 877 number.  I took a shot and actually answered and it was ATT.  A few minutes after talking to that guy who explained the chat rep gave him my info...he got the full questions about I want to keep my channels and looking for promotions...he then transferred to loyalty.

She was super pleasant (Carla)...quickly had a promotion for $20 off our gig internet...and another $55 off our Directv.  First time they had ever discounted the internet.  While I had better Directv discounts...getting that $20 was nice.  I then just asked about if Redzone is ever offered stand alone.  She said no, only with ST Max...she then offered to look for any promotions on it...and a few minutes later said she could add it to my account at no charge.

Easiest call ever done for me...$75 total in discounts and free ST Max.  20 minute phone call.

Was dreading the call...that was freaking easy this year.

So...had gone through the chat the other day as my first effort.  I do each year as every now and then it has been successful.  Nothing that first try.

Got on my account on the website to look over my bill and prepare my little game plan before calling.  Decided to try the chat again...and have them remove Showtime as some free 3 month thing had run out and I was not going to actually pay to not watch things on Showtime.

Anyway...she had removed that and I asked about any promotions available...after a few minutes of "looking", my phone rang with an 877 number.  I took a shot and actually answered and it was ATT.  A few minutes after talking to that guy who explained the chat rep gave him my info...he got the full questions about I want to keep my channels and looking for promotions...he then transferred to loyalty.

She was super pleasant (Carla)...quickly had a promotion for $20 off our gig internet...and another $55 off our Directv.  First time they had ever discounted the internet.  While I had better Directv discounts...getting that $20 was nice.  I then just asked about if Redzone is ever offered stand alone.  She said no, only with ST Max...she then offered to look for any promotions on it...and a few minutes later said she could add it to my account at no charge.

Easiest call ever done for me...$75 total in discounts and free ST Max.  20 minute phone call.
Nice.

Hopefully they follow through.  Decent chance they don't do anything they told you

I disconnected last night and called winback this morning. Got the deal no problem:

Free Sunday Ticket Max
$100 Visa gift card
3 mos free HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime and Epix
$46 off the XTRA package for 12 months

My discounts rolled off yesterday. Cancelation was set for the 28th - end of the billing cycle. I called Winback today to see what they could do. 

Was offered $50 off for 12 months, Sunday Ticket Max, premium channels for 3 months. No HBO and no gift card. 

I got them to transfer me to loyalty where they moved the disconnect up to today. I’ll call tomorrow and see if the offer improves. 

I’m actually totally fine canceling this year, so either they get much closer to the cost of Hulu or YouTube with live TV, or I walk. 

Yeah, around this time last year I had to call and negotiate a lower price and free sunday ticket (which I got). I was hoping I'd just get the email (like others have) for free Ticket again, but no such luck.

So looks like I'll need to call again. Probably on the docket for next week. They're still hemorrhaging subs, so I imagine I'll get something decent (although it may require a little work)

My discounts rolled off yesterday. Cancelation was set for the 28th - end of the billing cycle. I called Winback today to see what they could do. 

Was offered $50 off for 12 months, Sunday Ticket Max, premium channels for 3 months. No HBO and no gift card. 

I got them to transfer me to loyalty where they moved the disconnect up to today. I’ll call tomorrow and see if the offer improves. 

I’m actually totally fine canceling this year, so either they get much closer to the cost of Hulu or YouTube with live TV, or I walk. 
I would have taken that.

I would have taken that.
The issue for my family is that we rarely watch DirecTV. My wife likes to have it to flip on from time to time. I’d happily cut the relationship with them, get a VPN and game pass, and pay for HBO out of pocket. 

The vast majority of the time we spend watching TV is streaming from Netflix, HBO, Prime, Apple +, Disney +, or Hulu. So I’m basically comparing the $100 I’d spend for game pass and $15 a month for HBO vs the $80 a month on Directv for a full year. 

This is how I got them to pay me one year. I took the bigger discount on the service, got Free HBO and the gift card. Called winback between week 1 and week 2 and told them I was told to call back to see if they could add Sunday ticket to my account after week 1. Lady couldn’t do it, but added Sunday Ticket at full price ($60 a month or so for 6 months) and then put a 12-month bill credit of $60 on my account. 

Not kidding. I got paid to watch directv that year with the gift card. 

You guys realize this is a dead company? Like literally dead. Their business model is toast and they won't exist in 5 years. The only haggle you should do is tell them what you'll pay for a year, what you want and either take it or leave it.  If they pass, cancel. You can get everything you want for less money via apps and the internet

Worth going ahead and fully disconnecting. Officially went through overnight at Midnight. 

I tried the chat this morning but was told to return my equipment and just sign up as a brand new customer. 

I just got off the phone with Rhon in winback (888.333.0804). His first offer out of the gate:

$47.01 Discount per month + additional $5 autopay discount; free HBO for a year; free movie channels for 3 months (showtime, starz, epix, Cinemax); free Sunday ticket max; $100 visa gift card. 

He said that would make my bill what it was before - essentially $86 a month. I told him the reason we had cancelled was Hulu offered almost everything the exact same and was only $65 per month, and that “my friend told me” that his discount was $60 a month, not $47.01. 

No haggling or back and forth, he says, “I’m going to put a bill credit on your account for $30. It will appear as a one-time credit, but I’m notating the account that we agreed to this price and the loyalty department needs to extend the credit. After your first month’s bill is issued, call this number and tell them to re-apply it.” Rhon then gave me his name, his employee number, the loyalty department phone number, and a confirmation number and swore up and down that the $30/month credit would be re-instated by loyalty. 

Even without the $30 credit being extended, I seemed to get what others have gotten price-wise ($86 out the door with the taxes, RSN fees, and other jazz for choice) plus all the other goodies. 

If the $30 indeed gets extended, this year just became the best it’s been with DirecTV in a while. 

Worth going ahead and fully disconnecting. Officially went through overnight at Midnight. 

I tried the chat this morning but was told to return my equipment and just sign up as a brand new customer. 

I just got off the phone with Rhon in winback (888.333.0804). His first offer out of the gate:

$47.01 Discount per month + additional $5 autopay discount; free HBO for a year; free movie channels for 3 months (showtime, starz, epix, Cinemax); free Sunday ticket max; $100 visa gift card. 

He said that would make my bill what it was before - essentially $86 a month. I told him the reason we had cancelled was Hulu offered almost everything the exact same and was only $65 per month, and that “my friend told me” that his discount was $60 a month, not $47.01. 

No haggling or back and forth, he says, “I’m going to put a bill credit on your account for $30. It will appear as a one-time credit, but I’m notating the account that we agreed to this price and the loyalty department needs to extend the credit. After your first month’s bill is issued, call this number and tell them to re-apply it.” Rhon then gave me his name, his employee number, the loyalty department phone number, and a confirmation number and swore up and down that the $30/month credit would be re-instated by loyalty. 

Even without the $30 credit being extended, I seemed to get what others have gotten price-wise ($86 out the door with the taxes, RSN fees, and other jazz for choice) plus all the other goodies. 

If the $30 indeed gets extended, this year just became the best it’s been with DirecTV in a while. 
I hope you get the $30 credit re-instated but I am skeptical about that so please post back to let us know.  And if for some reason you don't get it then submit a BBB complaint.  I had a problem with a promised credit on my last deal and after doing a BBB complaint I got it taken care of.

I hope you get the $30 credit re-instated but I am skeptical about that so please post back to let us know.  And if for some reason you don't get it then submit a BBB complaint.  I had a problem with a promised credit on my last deal and after doing a BBB complaint I got it taken care of.

I’m a bit skeptical, but that’s precisely why I asked for the confirmation number, the employee ID number, and reiterated multiple times that I wanted it noted in the account, which he swore he did. And he gave me a phone number I haven’t seen for them before, so … fingers crossed. I’ve got ammunition  to fight back if they try to screw me out of it. 

My bill cycle goes from the the 6th of the month to the 5th of the following month.  I have a $65 credit that will roll off as of the bill cycle beginning on 10/6.  I have a separate $35 credit that will not roll off until the bill cycle beginning 1/6/22 so when the $65 credit rolls off I will still have 4 months left on the $35 credit.  But when the $65 rolls off my bill will increase to more than I want to pay even with the $35 credit still on the account.

For timing reasons of when I want to be without service I want to do the disconnect/reconnect game at the end of my current bill cycle of 9/5.   Anyone have history of disconnecting before all active credits had rolled off the account?  If I disconnect as of 9/6 will my ability to get a new deal be impacted when Winback sees that I disconnected early before all of my credits rolled off? 

You guys realize this is a dead company? Like literally dead. Their business model is toast and they won't exist in 5 years. The only haggle you should do is tell them what you'll pay for a year, what you want and either take it or leave it.  If they pass, cancel. You can get everything you want for less money via apps and the internet
Give me a hassle free way to watch my Vikings every Sunday. I'm not interested in unreliable shady streams.

I’m a bit skeptical, but that’s precisely why I asked for the confirmation number, the employee ID number, and reiterated multiple times that I wanted it noted in the account, which he swore he did. And he gave me a phone number I haven’t seen for them before, so … fingers crossed. I’ve got ammunition  to fight back if they try to screw me out of it. 
So - confirmation email comes through this morning with everything EXCEPT the HBO free for a year - it shows as three months. 

Here’s the kicker to remember - MAKE SURE YOUR WINBACK REPRESENTATIVE PUTS EXPLICIT NOTES IN THR ACCOUNT. 

I called the number he gave me for loyalty - got an American in Boise. Told him my confirmation email didn’t line up with what I was promised and asked if they just ran out of room or if I was getting the bait and switch. He politely accesses the account, says, “Yep, that’s what he said in the notes that he gave you.” They’re adding it now. Same guy also said the notes mention the $30 credit being extended if I call back after the first month. 

So, again, MAKE SURE YOUR REP NOTES THE ACCOUNT WITH EVERYTHING THEY PROMISE YOU. 

cap'n grunge said:
Give me a hassle free way to watch my Vikings every Sunday. I'm not interested in unreliable shady streams.
Have been using it for two years now. Never an issue or weak stream with any sporting event.  It's free.http://bilasport.com/

im getting closer to pulling the plug - only thing keeping me is Red zone and local channels to watch Jets games as Im in NY area...anything that covers that for cheaper than DTV?  Otherwise just watch Hulu/Netflix, etc

i called them last week and eventually we reached a negotiation that i would hang up and stop bugging them before they turned me in to the coppers at the fcc take that to the bank brohans 

Users who are viewing this thread