What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can't cut lists (1 Viewer)

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy
What is the point of playing with a "Can't cut" list?

Are people in your league so dumb they'd drop Tom Brady if they didn't have the site telling them not to? Would people sabotage things in your league by cutting Adrian Peterson? If so, wouldn't it be better to just find a different league? I'm sure there are good reasons for these lists...but I'm drawing a blank.

What is the point of playing with a "Can't cut" list?Are people in your league so dumb they'd drop Tom Brady if they didn't have the site telling them not to? Would people sabotage things in your league by cutting Adrian Peterson? If so, wouldn't it be better to just find a different league? I'm sure there are good reasons for these lists...but I'm drawing a blank.
It is to prevent teams which are out of the playoffs (or virtually out of them) from dumping all their best players on the WW, or as free agents. It is against the spirit of the competition.

To prevent cheating. Cutting say Tom Brady because your friend has the #1 waiver pick and needs help.

ETA. I have been in leagues before where this has happened, many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point of playing with a "Can't cut" list?Are people in your league so dumb they'd drop Tom Brady if they didn't have the site telling them not to? Would people sabotage things in your league by cutting Adrian Peterson? If so, wouldn't it be better to just find a different league? I'm sure there are good reasons for these lists...but I'm drawing a blank.
It is to prevent teams which are out of the playoffs (or virtually out of them) from dumping all their best players on the WW, or as free agents. It is against the spirit of the competition.
That's what a commish is supposed to handle. If someone in my league pulled that nonsense I'd reverse it and kick them out of the league. How hard is it to do that? Cut lists often take waaay to long to get fixed. How long was Randy Moss on the list? Orton is still on many cannot cut lists. If someone in my league cut Orton I'd be okay with it. If someone had cut Randy a month ago that would be okay.

Whate really sucks is when one of your can't cut players gets hurt - but because he is still a can't cut player for several days you can't pickup an adequate replacement. Happened to me with Gore this year and Finley this year. How did Finley become an undroppable player in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whate really sucks is when one of your can't cut players gets hurt - but because he is still a can't cut player for several days you can't pickup an adequate replacement. Happened to me with Gore this year and Finley this year. How did Finley become an undroppable player in the first place?
Because he kept getting bumped all summer. Duh. :goodposting:

Can't cut lists are useful when playing in leagues with strangers or people that can't be trusted. I don't like them because it always leads to an issue where you've given up on a player but the site has not (Randy Moss and Steve Smith are examples that might apply this year). If you can't trust the other owners and there is money on the line they are a necessary evil.

Can't cut lists are useful when playing in leagues with strangers or people that can't be trusted. I don't like them because it always leads to an issue where you've given up on a player but the site has not (Randy Moss and Steve Smith are examples that might apply this year). If you can't trust the other owners and there is money on the line they are a necessary evil.
If there is money on the line and somebody wants to cheat, a can't cut list isn't going to be much of an obstacle in preventing the cheating.

Are people in your league so dumb they'd drop Tom Brady if they didn't have the site telling them not to? Would people sabotage things in your league by cutting Adrian Peterson? If so, wouldn't it be better to just find a different league? I'm sure there are good reasons for these lists...but I'm drawing a blank.
That's what a commish is supposed to handle. If someone in my league pulled that nonsense I'd reverse it and kick them out of the league. How hard is it to do that? Cut lists often take waaay to long to get fixed. How long was Randy Moss on the list? Orton is still on many cannot cut lists. If someone in my league cut Orton I'd be okay with it. If someone had cut Randy a month ago that would be okay.
Harder than just having a can't cut list with the commish making manual overrides when someone wants to cut someone on the list.

Harder than just having a can't cut list with the commish making manual overrides when someone wants to cut someone on the list.
People should generally be able to handle a team as they see fit. If someone wanted to cut Orton today, would you object?

Never seen a league where the Can't Cut list wasn't a turn on/off option. Your commish either messed up, or thinks the league members might start cheating. So why complain?

People should generally be able to handle a team as they see fit. If someone wanted to cut Orton today, would you object?
Not at all. I'm shocked to see Orton on a can't cut list, but just noticed he was on Yahoo :unsure: The more I think about it, the more I agree with you. A couple of times in the past I've seen one loser in a league go off and cut all his players causing the commish to do a lot of cleanup and obviously kicking the guy out. The list doesn't stop that though, just certain players.

The can't cut list saved me from my own stupidity earlier in the season. I was going to cut Witten and hold on to Hernandez. What a colossal mistake that would have been.

The can't cut list saved me from my own stupidity earlier in the season. I was going to cut Witten and hold on to Hernandez. What a colossal mistake that would have been.
What if Witten had sucked and Hernandez blown up?
Apparently the experts who put together the can't cut list knew this wouldn't happen. That's why they got the can't cut list job. ;)
That explains Steve Smith, Randy Moss, and Kyle Orton being on the list at various times this year. ;)

Because he kept getting bumped all summer. Duh. :goodposting:
cause hes a monster...hes going for 1300 and 15 next year

I don't know if commish can turn it off in public free leagues. Time to ask that was before the season.

I'm in a throwaway league on Yahoo, and it doesn't matter too much, but I find myself kinda constrained that Kyle Orton is on the Can't Cut List in the shallow league I am in. I'm starting Vick, and would like to cut orton for a better backup, but cannot. Orton's just too good.

Oh well.

If a money league is hosted on yahoo, it'd behoove any league to turn this thing off.

Users who are viewing this thread