What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cards release Shipp (1 Viewer)

Federal

Footballguy
Cards release Shipp

This may not deserve it's own thread, but I'm too lazy to hunt down the Tim Hightower thread. As a local/homer, I'm a little surprised

I just received word that the Cardinals released running back Marcel Shipp, who along with safety Adrian Wilson, had been with the team longer than any other players.

Shipp's agent, Brad Blank, confirmed the news. My colleague, Bob McManaman, is working the story in Flagstaff and will have more information later.

Shipp was due to make $1.75 million this year, the second year of a three-year contract he signed last year. He received no signing bonus, so the Cardinals save $1.75 million against the cap.

I didn't see this move coming, and Blank said Shipp really didn't, either. But Shipp didn't get much work late last week, as Tim Hightower, a rookie from Richmond, took more snaps than usual. Shipp had been running with the second team behind Edgerrin James. I thought J.J. Arrington was in more danger of getting cut than any of the other running backs, and his place on the roster still isn't certain.

Shipp, who turns 30 on Friday, made the team as an undrafted free agent in 2001. He played in 87 games, starting 28 over eight seasons. He missed the 2004 season after suffering a dislocated ankle and fractured led during a scrimmage in Flagstaff.

Over the years, I bumped into several coaches from other teams who always asked about Shipp and if the team was going to keep him. He would be a good pickup for a club, although teams are hesitant about adding 30-year-old running backs.

Isn't Arrington used on special teams? I haven't watched much of the Cards, but that could be one reason Arrington was kept over Shipp.

Isn't Arrington used on special teams? I haven't watched much of the Cards, but that could be one reason Arrington was kept over Shipp.
Shipp was listed as 1st team Kick Return, along with Breaston. Arrington was listed as 4th on KR. Not sure if he makes contributions elsewhere. JJ has the tools to be a nice change of pace back. Hightower does many of the same things Shipp does so I guess it makes sense.I have always liked Shipp, hope he gets at least one more shot somewhere.

Sad to see Shipp go...guy gave everything he had and was effective.

Hightower must be delivering.

Shipp was listed as 1st team Kick Return, along with Breaston. Arrington was listed as 4th on KR. Not sure if he makes contributions elsewhere. JJ has the tools to be a nice change of pace back. Hightower does many of the same things Shipp does so I guess it makes sense.I have always liked Shipp, hope he gets at least one more shot somewhere.
Thanks for the clarification. Of the few Cards games I caught last year, I seem to recall JJ being used on KR/PR and not seeing Shipp. Might have been my wonky memory, though.

If I remember correctly last year JJ was a change of pace / 3rd down back and Shipp handled the goal line carries. I dont know about ST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification. Of the few Cards games I caught last year, I seem to recall JJ being used on KR/PR and not seeing Shipp. Might have been my wonky memory, though.
Arrington DID return more kicks last year. I just checked the Cards site and the had Arrington #3 KR, Shipp #4. I don't remember where I saw Shipp a #2. Might have been MY wonky memory.

I think Hightower moves just outside the top 5 rookies now.

Very nice if you were able to get him in the second or third round of your dynasty draft.

And he might even have value this year as a goalline vulture or Edge handcuff. After all, Edge is getting old.

I think Hightower moves just outside the top 5 rookies now.Very nice if you were able to get him in the second or third round of your dynasty draft.And he might even have value this year as a goalline vulture or Edge handcuff. After all, Edge is getting old.
Honestly I did not want to hear this. I have Edge in one league with no Hightower and was able to nab Hightower in another league late (1st compensatory pick after the 3rd round) but I don't seem to have a roster spot for him...Time to see what the Edge owner wants to give me for Timmy....

There was a day where i drafted Marcel Shipp and Amos Zeroue with 3rd and 4th round picks in a start up dynasty draft. Guess i can cut Shipp now. :goodposting:

Shipp will always have a soft spot in my heart...he ran a 65 yd. TD against the Rams years ago that won me my div. championship game. He is still hated by the other owner to this day.

I think Hightower moves just outside the top 5 rookies now.Very nice if you were able to get him in the second or third round of your dynasty draft.And he might even have value this year as a goalline vulture or Edge handcuff. After all, Edge is getting old.
Shipp was really holding you back? Or releasing him gives you a clue that he's a superior talent. Hightower may be good, but don't let this change your view that much.

Besides clearing salary I'm a fan of this cut because now I won't have to listen to the stupid, barely decipherable ship horn at UofP stadium whenever he gets a carry.

Users who are viewing this thread