What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Career advice - AKA asking for a raise (1 Viewer)

That's not always true.  That's the crappy attitude that way too many employees have and is what can hurt their pay or get them fired.
In my experience, and from what I have seen, it is very true. I never said always. Let's not talk about the crappy attitude employers have, right? ;)

In my experience, and from what I have seen, it is very true. I never said always. Let's not talk about the crappy attitude employers have, right? ;)
Obviously it goes both ways.  A bad boss with have unhappy employees.  A good boss can have crappy employees.  Both are true.

Is your annual raise time at the end of the year? One of the challenges I have as a manager is people bringing these cases to me off cycle. I can't do anything in June because HR won't budge unless it's an extreme case of matching an offer of a top performer who is being poached.  However, I can try and help get my staff a justified salary adjustment in December/January as part of our annual review and raise period.

Are the two positions in the same area of the country?  Similar industries?  I have found in my field that salaries have a huge range depending on the industry and location.  I am not talking about cost of living adjustments per se but demand of that particular skill set.  

Is your annual raise time at the end of the year? One of the challenges I have as a manager is people bringing these cases to me off cycle. I can't do anything in June because HR won't budge unless it's an extreme case of matching an offer of a top performer who is being poached.  However, I can try and help get my staff a justified salary adjustment in December/January as part of our annual review and raise period.
Well, that brings up the point that it has been over two years since my last raise..
As I mentioned, I transitioned to a new role, reporting to the Director back in April and reviews around here tend to happen May/June..
My "old" manager didn't feel he could do a review as I wasn't reporting to him any longer and didn't inform the new person I was moving to about our planned conversation. :angry:

And by the time HR got all the records up to date, any automated "Hey, it's time to review your employee" for me didn't get sent to the Director so left with notta so far again.

Are the two positions in the same area of the country?  Similar industries?  I have found in my field that salaries have a huge range depending on the industry and location.  I am not talking about cost of living adjustments per se but demand of that particular skill set.  
I work from home for a company headquartered in New York.
We do have a Office in Minnesota, which is listed as my "Home Office".
I use to commute back and forth to that office for 8 years prior to switching to working from home.

This position that I applied for is in the same city as my "Home Office" so definitely comparing ?to ?

Last edited by a moderator:
snogger said:
I work from home for a company headquartered in New York.
We do have a Office in Minnesota, which is listed as my "Home Office".
I use to commute back and forth to that office for 8 years prior to switching to working from home.

This position that I applied for is in the same city as my "Home Office" so definitely comparing ?to ?
Aye aye.  Ohh sorry Who! dat!

Been a while since I updated this.. Should have figured applying for a State job would take time....

I had an impromptu "phone interview" where they went over the job responsibilities and what was expected from an applicant, including that telecommuting is only available for weather/family reasons, otherwise expected to be in the office 5 days a week. I forgot to ask about flexible scheduling, so will need to bring that up at the interview.
They also discussed the salary stating "although the top range is listed as $$$ they rarely offer that to new applicants so, knowing that, what salary range would you be looking for?"

I gave them my range and they responded "OK, so the upper range.. would you be available for an interview this week?" :)

Now that I have an interview set, and knowing that the salary range is excepted, I'm trying to decide if I should meet with my Company before the interview, or wait until after...
Decisions, decisions....

Wait to meet with your company. Take the interview. There will be a bit of a wait from first interview to offer (possibly multiple interviews). Then you will likely have a window of time to accept the offer (several days to a week). 

You can talk to your employer once you feel an offer is inevitable, or you have one in hand. 

Conversely, if you walk away from the first interview with a feeling that this is not a good fit, that may be a good time to leverage the fact that you are “interviewing For a position with a salary range of X.” The possible downside being that they see you as 1 foot out the door and begin looking for a replacement. That is a gamble. 

Wait to meet with your company. Take the interview. There will be a bit of a wait from first interview to offer (possibly multiple interviews). Then you will likely have a window of time to accept the offer (several days to a week). 

You can talk to your employer once you feel an offer is inevitable, or you have one in hand. 

Conversely, if you walk away from the first interview with a feeling that this is not a good fit, that may be a good time to leverage the fact that you are “interviewing For a position with a salary range of X.” The possible downside being that they see you as 1 foot out the door and begin looking for a replacement. That is a gamble. 
Thanks!!

I do have a project I've been leading for 6+ Months that would pretty much come to a dead stop if I left.
The person I report to knows that I've tried to get others on board supporting it, but no one has stepped up to learn the details enough to take over.... and it is a BIG project involving all 140+ Locations around the world.

Big enough that on Monday before Thanksgiving, as we were preparing to deploy it to our corporate office, I was informed it was imperative I be onsite for the deployment and had to make hasty travel arrangements to travel there Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I can proudly say the deployment went off without a hitch and many accolades were communicated to the person I report to about the work I did and how well it went. :bowtie:

Awesome. That bodes well IMO. 

Corporate culture varies place to place. They likely are aware you’re worth well above what they pay you... and most smart managers will shun convention to keep valuable employees. However most companies  our more than happy to keep those employees at a lower salary if they can. 

I was with a small medical device company as director of marketing For five years… Any discussions I pushed regarding salary were rebuked with “we don’t have the money”.  When I interviewed with another company and received an offer that was a 40% increase, they suddenly Found much of a difference to make up, we’re willing to let me work offsite multiple days a week which was previously against corporate policy, and were even willing to negotiate a portion of equity within the company. 

In the end I took the new role because I didn’t want to disrupt the culture by accepting a lot of benefits that others in the company didn’t have, and potentially open Pandora’s box of employee morale issues. But the bottom line was that companies will often change their tune once you have a competing offer, or other significant evidence of your value.

Thought about this most of the day and decided to take your advice.. :thumbup:
Going into the interview tomorrow to see what the position/team look like and get information regarding work load, conditions and Flexible scheduling.
Then meet with the director I report to on Thursday morning to talk about my "Career Development" aka.. Raise.

Well interview went well.. I think.. Strange to interview for a Government position.. Very "rigid".. 3 person panel, asking 14 total questions, switching off between the 3 to ask. I couldn't ask any follow-up questions so the best I could get was a rereading of the question.
Did see many "Nods" as I was answering some of the questions as a form of acknowledgement that it was a good answer..

After going through the 14 questions, when I had a chance to ask my questions, I got back very good feedback including for one where one of the panelist exclaimed "GREAT question!!" ..
Got the normal "We hope to wrap up interviews early next week" as I was leaving.. Made sure to send off a Thank you letter early this morning..

Met with my Director this morning... Didn't mention that I has actually gone in to the interview, but did mention how a few companies had contacted me recently and laid out the increase of salary ( 15 to 25%) that was being offered.
He stated that he is glad I was evaluating my position at the company as well as what my overall worth as he expects those that report to him to continue to do so at least yearly. Mentioned that he doesn't blame employees for "testing the market". So now don't feel as guilty as I did about going in for the interview.

As I just started reporting to him this summer he stated he would need to review my salary increases throughout my time here, as well as asked I send a list of the added responsibilities that I have taken on as that would help him when presenting any salary increase request to the VP.

He also stated he couldn't promise me anything, and he also wouldn't lie.. That if he went to the VP and they came back with no money for a raise he would be honest with me. Stated he doesn't want to lose me, but also understands that people need to feel they are being paid what they are worth.

Now the waiting games begins for both the interview results and hopefully the raise. :mellow:

Mentioned that he doesn't blame employees for "testing the market". So now don't feel as guilty as I did about going in for the interview.

:mellow:
Never be afraid of looking out for Snogger Inc.

You always have to look out for yourself and your family because chances are, the company won't.

I work for a great company, I really enjoy the people I work with and the job that I have.  No complaints there. But as a result of working in an executive position for long enough, I know that they call Human Resources that for a reason. You are really only a human resource. 

Never be afraid of looking out for Snogger Inc.

You always have to look out for yourself and your family because chances are, the company won't.

I work for a great company, I really enjoy the people I work with and the job that I have.  No complaints there. But as a result of working in an executive position for long enough, I know that they call Human Resources that for a reason. You are really only a human resource. 
:thanks:

4 months later and things changed drastically...

A couple weeks after I posted in December, the company I worked for did a reorganization and let the CIO go. The IT Department was split into reporting to two different VP's.
Just when most companies are trying to move away from Siloing, they went and silo'd their own IT department :loco:

Then on March 1st another Reorganization happened... The position that was created for me a year ago was determined to be not needed and I, along with about 200 employees, were laid off.
Almost 11 years and just like that gone.. :(

I've spent the last 6 weeks applying and interviewing for many, MANY positions.
When I was first laid off I thought "well, I have a desired Skill set in SharePoint and Office 365 this shouldn't take long"..
It was quite the eye opener to see just how long of a process it is to find, apply, interview and get a new job.

But I am happy to announce that I was offered,and accepted, a new position as an Office365 System Analyst which I start on, of all days, Tax day. 

In the end I did get a decent raise, cheaper Health premiums and 4 weeks of vacation a year.. Oh, and for the next 6 weeks, double paychecks!

Onto my new beginning!

A couple weeks after I posted in December, the company I worked for did a reorganization and let the CIO go. The IT Department was split into reporting to two different VP's.
Just when most companies are trying to move away from Siloing, they went and silo'd their own IT department :loco:

Then on March 1st another Reorganization happened... The position that was created for me a year ago was determined to be not needed and I, along with about 200 employees, were laid off.

When I was first laid off I thought "well, I have a desired Skill set in SharePoint and Office 365 this shouldn't take long"..
It was quite the eye opener to see just how long of a process it is to find, apply, interview and get a new job.

But I am happy to announce that I was offered,and accepted, a new position as an Office365 System Analyst which I start on, of all days, Tax day. 

In the end I did get a decent raise, cheaper Health premiums and 4 weeks of vacation a year.. Oh, and for the next 6 weeks, double paychecks!

Onto my new beginning!
nice work bud

Onto my new beginning!
i have been trying to transfer within my company for the past few months.  just burned out with what i have been doing.  12 years of the same stuff. 

had an interview last week and just found out i got the job.  might take some time to sort everything out with the move but i am excited.  my current boss is not going to like this.  

snogger said:

Onto my new beginning!
Congrats!  I was in a similar boat two years ago.  5 years with a company.  6 months prior I was given a raise and promoted to a new position.  Then they decided that position was no longer necessary.  

The week after I was laid off I went on 3 different interviews.  Everything seemed good.  And then I went 7 months without hearing from another company.  It sucked.  But the new job pays more and has a better bonus.  Only real downside was my old company gave us 8 weeks of vacation.  Yeah.  It was awesome.  Had to start all the way back at 2 weeks and it's hard getting used to only a fraction of my old amount.

need2know said:
i have been trying to transfer within my company for the past few months.  just burned out with what i have been doing.  12 years of the same stuff. 

had an interview last week and just found out i got the job.  might take some time to sort everything out with the move but i am excited.  my current boss is not going to like this.  
:thumbup: hindsight being 20/20 I should have listened to my gut that things didn't feel right and job hunted a little harder and not spent the last 6 weeks stressing out.. Then again, I wouldn't have received the 3 month severance package, meaning the next 6 weeks are double paycheck, so there is that.

Congrats!  I was in a similar boat two years ago.  5 years with a company.  6 months prior I was given a raise and promoted to a new position.  Then they decided that position was no longer necessary.  

The week after I was laid off I went on 3 different interviews.  Everything seemed good.  And then I went 7 months without hearing from another company.  It sucked.  But the new job pays more and has a better bonus.  Only real downside was my old company gave us 8 weeks of vacation.  Yeah.  It was awesome.  Had to start all the way back at 2 weeks and it's hard getting used to only a fraction of my old amount.
Uggggghh 7 months :eek: .. And I thought 6 weeks sucked. Yea, sometimes the move inside the company isn't as good as it looks... Had I stayed in my old position I wouldn't have been laid off. But I was becoming frustrated with that role so probably would have left any ways..

I don't blame you for not asking for a raise, we we're in a recession and you probably felt fortunate to just have a job.  Things are better now, so people are finally looking around.

Users who are viewing this thread