What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Palmer Traded to Oakland (1 Viewer)

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Carson Palmer to the Raiders now official. Compensation expected to be a 1 in 2012 and a conditional 1 in 2013.
So they announced the trade. But compensation "EXPECTED" to be 1 in 2012 and conditional 1 in 2013?I think when the trade is officially announced, the compensation is going to be less than that. A 1 and conditional 1 for Carson Palmer is going to be unreal -- basically the Bengals recoup the #1 pick they used on Palmer way back when and a bit more. That's a lot when you consider Palmer didn't even take Cincy to the Super Bowl.
If this is true it could be one of the worst trades in NFL history.

So has the trade actually happened yet or not? Multiple sources claiming yes, but can't give the finalized details of an official trade? Or is this yet another case of everyone falling "first!"?

Rotoworld is reporting that the deal is close to done. The Raiders and Bengals are close to a trade that would send Carson Palmer to Oakland, according to FOX's Jay Glazer.Per Glazer, the deal is expected to be completed by today's 4pm ET deadline with Cincy receiving a first-round pick in 2012 and a future conditional pick. He adds that Hue Jackson's close, personal relationship with Bengals owner Mike Brown is what got the Bengals to move off their stubborn stance. Jackson was the Bengals' wide receivers coach from 2004-06. Palmer may need a week to get his feet under him, but the 31-year-old will give an Oakland passing game that was set to go in the tank under Kyle Boller some life. Hold your Raiders wideouts. The Beloved Silver and Black gives up a first for Palmer??? If I didn't know any better...nah. R.I.P Al.
A little late there pal.

JayGlazer Jay Glazer

Trade is for a first-rounder in 2012 then a second rounder in future that can turn into a first-rounder based on his play

A guaranteed 2012 first rounder and depending on how Palmer does a 2013 possible first rounder. It has to be. Or else the Raiders just made the worse trade in NFL history if they guaranteed two 1st rounders.

I wonder if the other owners or league commish can vote to veto this trade due to it being lopsided?

Palmer stunk 2 years ago. I'm sure he's worse now.
That had me laughing. If this were a FF trade, we would have dozens of posts calling this trade collusive.Back to the FF impact of this trade-I think this trade "could" help AND hurt DHB, Ford, & Moore's FF value, but I feel it can only help McFadden's.

Campbell seemed to be looking first & foremost for DHB since he returned, which negatively impacted Ford & Moore's FF points. We don't know what Palmer will do (or even if he's in shape), so it's hard to predict the FF impact on them.

With regards to McFadden, IMO he stood to lose FF value if Boller was QB; not necessarily because Campbell was so much better than Boller, but Campbell seemed to be doing a good job of managing the offense, keeping drives going, and avoiding turnovers. Boller has never been good at those things. If the Raiders offense wasn't able to sustain drives, than McFadden wouldn't get as many opportunties to touch the ball. I believe that Palmer will be able to manage the offense, so McFadden shouldn't lose many touches.

This is like when Roy Williams was traded to Dallas. What a haul.
No even close, Palmer has actually accomplished something in this league. Hell, he was even a top 5 QB a one point.
That's like saying Donovan McNabb for 2 1st rounders now would be a good trade. Carson Palmer's days as an elite QB have nothing to do with today, unless you believe he is still a top 5 QB.

What's even more sad is I'm going to have to burn my #2 waiver pick for him. I have a 6-0 team lead by Alex Smith and Sexy Rexy.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It only took Mark Davis ten days to channel his inner TommyBoy.
As a Raider fan, I hope the ending to the Raider story is as good as the Tommy Boy ending. I really have my doubts. I have a whole new respect for Mike Brown. He played his cards extremely well. He probably guessed some desperate team would come calling.

Cardinals gave a 2nd and a 1st round former Pro Bowl talent in DRC for Kolb. :shrug:

50% of Palmer is better than Kevin ####### Kolb.

Can't get over this trade. Horrible for Oakland. If I were a fan, I'd rather they were like 2-4 right now so a move like this wasn't made

No even close, Palmer has actually accomplished something in this league. Hell, he was even a top 5 QB a one point.
That's like saying Donovan McNabb for 2 1st rounders now would be a good trade. Carson Palmer's days as an elite QB have nothing to do with today, unless you believe he is still a top 5 QB.
People are talking about Palmer like he's 40. He's only 31. I realize he wasn't good in Cincinnati the last two years. But its certainly possible there were reasons for that other than he's just done.

It only took Mark Davis ten days to channel his inner TommyBoy.
As a Raider fan, I hope the ending to the Raider story is as good as the Tommy Boy ending. I really have my doubts. I have a whole new respect for Mike Brown. He played his cards extremely well. He probably guessed some desperate team would come calling.
Yep, & making decisions when in desperation mode tend to yield train wrecks. I actually feel badly for Raiders fans today

JayGlazer Jay GlazerTrade is for a first-rounder in 2012 then a second rounder in future that can turn into a first-rounder based on his play
Reports of this deal keep getting worse and worse for the Raiders. When I saw that a "conditional" pick was included, I assumed it was a 5th or a 6th round selection.

John Clayton reported this morning that this could not happen because the Raiders didn't have the cap space for Palmer's $11 million cap number. How is this happening?

Why would the Raiders not offer these two 1st round picks and maybe a little more at the chance to draft Andrew Luck? Seems like a no brainer to me.

You guys are all going to look silly when Carson Palmer leads the Raiders to the SUPER BOWL.

:goodposting:

:blackdot:

I think it's awesome that everyone is piling on Oakland. Personally I think this could end up huge for the Raiders.
The Raiders had to get help at QB. I get it. I was not impressed with Campbell but was happy that he was good enough to win. Boller was not the answer and was never going to be the answer. The problem is that you do not give up your future for an OK fix in the present. The Raiders have a history of doing that for the past decade which is why the past decade has been ugly.

What would Palmer have to do to make this a good move for the Raiders? Is it a bust unless he takes them to the playoffs for the next 3-5 years? Feels like Super Bowl or bust to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's awesome that everyone is piling on Oakland. Personally I think this could end up huge for the Raiders.
The Raiders had to get help at QB. I get it. I was not impressed with Campbell but was happy that he was good enough to win. Boller was not the answer and was never going to be the answer. The problem is that you do not give up your future for an OK fix in the present. The Raiders have a history of doing that for the past decade which is why the past decade has been ugly.
Maybe the Raiders have concluded that they suck at drafting. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. Trades and FA.

People are talking about Palmer like he's 40. He's only 31. I realize he wasn't good in Cincinnati the last two years. But its certainly possible there were reasons for that other than he's just done.
His arm is shot. Shot as in he can't make the throws anymore. I've watched him and he has no zip (or not nearly as much as he used to). But... maybe he's gotten his strength back now that he's a couple of years removed from his injury.

With a budding young QB in Andy Dalton and no need for Palmer, the Bengals fleeced the Raiders.

I thought one second rounder would get the deal done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread