What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CB Richard Sherman (1 Viewer)

Sherman attested that the cup with his urine specimen leaked, which forced the person collecting the sample to use a second cup underneath the first one. Thus, Sherman argued, the presence of the second cup (the seal on which was broken) violated the chain of custody requirements for a fair test.
Man, this guy can't even cover his own pee.

Sherman attested that the cup with his urine specimen leaked, which forced the person collecting the sample to use a second cup underneath the first one. Thus, Sherman argued, the presence of the second cup (the seal on which was broken) violated the chain of custody requirements for a fair test.
The sort of grasping at straws argumentation you so frequently see out of those with nothing to hide. Oh, wait...

The sort of grasping at straws argumentation you so frequently see out of those with nothing to hide. Oh, wait...
It wasn't argumentation, it was a joke. Some people just need to calm down and stop taking everything so seriously. I swear this is a place where many come just to keep them from kicking their dog. Sherman is a very good CB, I don't think there's any denying that.

did sherman have johnson?

he made a game winning play, but don't know if I'd call 9-110 locked... :)
Early on there were at least two catches that were on Sherman. One was AJ getting a step when Sherm tried to guess the route and was wrong. Another time was very good coverage but AJ grabbed it. A few grabs I saw looked like finding a seam in zone.

They moved Johnson around. Not sure what was or wasn't on Sherman. He did tie the game up though.
sherman is great, he may be the top CB in the NFL right now...

maybe not at level revis was at pre-injury...

it would interesting to back-test this though...

how did WRs he covered do in first three weeks before today? last year?

i realize some teams have top CB shadow top WR all over the field, some don't, and stick to one side or the other...

of course, if SEA is the latter kind of defensive scheme, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the thread (but if the former, very relevant and well worth tracking going forward - and even back-testing, as i suggested)...

They moved Johnson around. Not sure what was or wasn't on Sherman. He did tie the game up though.
sherman is great, he may be the top CB in the NFL right now...maybe not at level revis was at pre-injury...

it would interesting to back-test this though...

how did WRs he covered do in first three weeks before today? last year?

i realize some teams have top CB shadow top WR all over the field, some don't, and stick to one side or the other...

of course, if SEA is the latter kind of defensive scheme, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the thread (but if the former, very relevant and well worth tracking going forward - and even back-testing, as i suggested)...
Good question. I know I saw one stat in game that said he was #1 in PD's in the last 19 games.

Joe Haden?

eta* I want to see Deion and Joe Haden talk shop on TNF. I think that would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne vs. Sherman is going to be fun to watch this week. The old crafty veteran receiver gets that slant pattern against anyone. Will be really interested to see if Sherman overplays his inside shoulder, and if so, what Luck's/Wayne's counter-move will be.

ETA: I can't see Sherman playing Hilton. It's overkill from a strength standpoint, and if Sherman has one misstep which allows Hilton to squirm past him, it could be an 80-yard TD in a blink.

joe haden and patrick peterson are both pro bowl caliber and should be in conversation for top CBs.
I don't watch PP as much as I'd like to, but Haden is fantastic. Picked up the Brownies D this week because they are going against the Bills tomorrow night, but the way they have been playing, I can't see cutting them anytime soon.

I'm guessing Fleener is huge this week. I don't see much running or maybe 4WR/3WR 1TE sets and running out of that.

This should be the week for Hilton and Fleener.

I'm guessing Fleener is huge this week. I don't see much running or maybe 4WR/3WR 1TE sets and running out of that.

This should be the week for Hilton and Fleener.
:thumbup:

Seattle's D has allowed an average of 12.85 fantasy points per road game to tight ends. (Small sample size, but still).

joe haden and patrick peterson are both pro bowl caliber and should be in conversation for top CBs.
I don't watch PP as much as I'd like to, but Haden is fantastic. Picked up the Brownies D this week because they are going against the Bills tomorrow night, but the way they have been playing, I can't see cutting them anytime soon.
Peterson is ridiculously good! You could throw a blanket over those 3. All are great.

Peterson is ridiculously good! You could throw a blanket over those 3. All are great.
Peterson's ex-LSU teammate Mo Claiborne was supposed to join him as the next great NFL CB. But he just got benched.... because he lost his confidence. Just in time to welcome Manning and the Broncos to town! :excited:

Peterson's ex-LSU teammate Mo Claiborne was supposed to join him as the next great NFL CB. But he just got benched.... because he lost his confidence. Just in time to welcome Manning and the Broncos to town! :excited:
It's gonna be a long night for the Cowgirls.

Sherm gave up some plays, but he made the one that counts.
If you want to be called a Shutdown CB, every play counts.
Deion got beat. Green got beat. Woodson got beat. Revis got beat. It happens to all of them.
I know. I'm just poking at Sherman because he's a #####. But he's a ##### that I'd love if he were on my favorite team, that's for sure.
Hard not to like the enthusiasm with which he plays the game.

Deion got beat. Green got beat. Woodson got beat. Revis got beat. It happens to all of them.
I know. I'm just poking at Sherman because he's a #####. But he's a ##### that I'd love if he were on my favorite team, that's for sure.
I'd like him a lot more if he'd quit running his mouf

Ha Ha, was just coming to post the same thing, everybody gives up some plays...kudos to you for being honest that u hate him, but would like him on your team. :thumbup:

Ha Ha, was just coming to post the same thing, everybody gives up some plays...kudos to you for being honest that u hate him, but would like him on your team. :thumbup:
Thanks. I've got no problem admitting it. I've said the same in the past about guys like Finnegan. Yeah, he's a punk. Yeah, I kinda liked it when Andre put him in his place. But when these guys are on their game, that cockiness, that attitude, is part of their game. It puts opposing players off their game. These guys are arrogant a-holes, but it works for them. And I'd love to have them on my team. It's just naturally the kind of thing that opposing fans are going to hate, and that hometown fans are going to turn on when they don't play well. Deangelo Hall, on a much lesser talent level, is a good example of that. He yaps his lip, and fans don't particularly care when he's returning pick-6's and sticking tight to receivers (rarely). But when he's getting burnt, it's the first thing fans turn on.

Sherman is no shut down corner. I was at reliant and focused on this matchup. Dre was KILLING him. A 30 year old dre who everybody says has "lost a step." his pick six was not shut down esque. It was sitting in a zone with the perfect play call and a floater right to him.

Any word on if Sherman will be covering RW this weekend? I read somewhere (maybe rotoworld) that RW would be playing out of the slot, and that Sherman would be on TY Hilton.

Any word on if Sherman will be covering RW this weekend? I read somewhere (maybe rotoworld) that RW would be playing out of the slot, and that Sherman would be on TY Hilton.
Sherman will be lined up on the WR to the right of the offensive formation every snap (most often the flanker). Browner will be on the other side (most often the split end). Sherman has followed a particular receiver exactly one time his NFL career. That was Boldin the week that Browner was out.

This guy is not a shutdown corner. Give me a break. Calvin would abuse him.
Who wouldn't Calvin abuse?

Sherman has specific skills that make him a good corner. I believe he has the best ball skills in the NFL at the CB position. He still sees himself as a WR when sprinting down the sideline. If the ball is in the air he's trying to catch it. Also, he's very good with his press at the line of scrimmage using his hands.

Is he good? Yes. Is he the best? That's a silly question. He's probably the best at some things, while not the best at others. Trying to argue that he's the best all around CB is a waste of time. There's no agreed upon metric. If you want to argue best from a subjective standpoint you might as well argue which is the best color.

Sherman has specific skills that make him a good corner. I believe he has the best ball skills in the NFL at the CB position. He still sees himself as a WR when sprinting down the sideline. If the ball is in the air he's trying to catch it. Also, he's very good with his press at the line of scrimmage using his hands.

Is he good? Yes. Is he the best? That's a silly question. He's probably the best at some things, while not the best at others. Trying to argue that he's the best all around CB is a waste of time. There's no agreed upon metric. If you want to argue best from a subjective standpoint you might as well argue which is the best color.
Peterson has the best ball skills of any CB in the NFL and it's not that close IMO. That's why he's playing offense now as well. Sherman is the better player, right now. He's more refined and doesn't make as many mistakes. Peterson is the scariest CB in the NFL because of his rare size, strength, athleticism and ball skills though.

Right now the only CB I hesitate to start a WR against is playing tonight and his name is Joe Haden.

Hooper31 said:
Sherman will be lined up on the WR to the right of the offensive formation every snap (most often the flanker). Browner will be on the other side (most often the split end). Sherman has followed a particular receiver exactly one time his NFL career. That was Boldin the week that Browner was out.
good info... and kind of moots the premise of the thread, if opposing WR doesn't line up in same spot, across from sherman most of the time...

Andre J abused this over-rated putz. Shut down corner my ###.....Schaub passed for 300+ yards on these guys
And still "these guys" have yielded less points via the pass than any other defense (3 TDs and 7 INT). Why so disturbed by any recognition that the Seattle DBs might earn? Further, do you have any idea how many receptions and yards Johnson actually had while being covered by Sherman?

The one guy that started this thread is a complete tool. He's the only one that might refer to Sherman as a shutdown corner. Just him. Nobody else. The notion of a shutdown corner doesn't exist. Its something that tools use to start meaningless arguments.

Andre J abused this over-rated putz. Shut down corner my ###.....Schaub passed for 300+ yards on these guys
And still "these guys" have yielded less points via the pass than any other defense (3 TDs and 7 INT). Why so disturbed by any recognition that the Seattle DBs might earn? Further, do you have any idea how many receptions and yards Johnson actually had while being covered by Sherman?

The one guy that started this thread is a complete tool. He's the only one that might refer to Sherman as a shutdown corner. Just him. Nobody else. The notion of a shutdown corner doesn't exist. Its something that tools use to start meaningless arguments.
Well said.

Also great with Sweetness's logic that a team passed for 300+ yards on a team, so one corner must suck (not taking into account anything else about that game at all)

Didn't Calvin only have like 45 receiving yards against him last year? Not sure what your definition of abuse is, but I wouldn't say 45 yards is a killing.
It was 46. I remember it well as I was starting Calvin in my main money league. He did drop a TD in that game, as well as a few other passes if memory serves. He just didn't look right most of that game, though the Lions did win. Whether Sherman was the cause of that is up for debate.

For my money, it is between Sherman and Revis for most complete corner; taking into account speed, size, strength, hands, hand eye coordination and (and this is where these two are head and shoulders better than the rest) film study and preparation. Sherman and Revis both are exceptionally smart DB's that are students of the game. Peterson will likely get there. Haden is horribly inconsistent due to not doing his homework. Kid was wretched last night.

He was defensive player of the month, so he must be doing something right.

:shrug:
Rah rah rah...going to ask me what I don't know about Lambeau again...that was fun how you scurried off after that.
Sherman gets a bad rap for running his mouth, and people don't know what a really good guy he is. In his pc today he said that his award was a team effort and the Legion of Boom actually won the award this month..classy.

Peterson has the best ball skills of any CB in the NFL and it's not that close IMO. That's why he's playing offense now as well. Sherman is the better player, right now. He's more refined and doesn't make as many mistakes. Peterson is the scariest CB in the NFL because of his rare size, strength, athleticism and ball skills though.
since 2011...

peterson... 2011 - 2, 2012 - 7 & 2013 - 2 (four games) INTs (combined 11 INTs)

sherman... 2011 - 4, 2012 - 8 & 2013 - 2 (four games) INTs (combined 14 INTs)

there may be other ways to compare ball skills, and it might also be possible to look at metrics to see who was thrown at more, and had more INT opportunities...

but looking at number of picks in last two and a quarter seasons, not obvious that peterson has clearly better hands (let alone not close part)...

as has been pointed out upthread, sherman was a converted WR...

peterson is without question one of the best athletes in the NFL, and he is converting the athleticism into becoming an elite CB... he arguably has higher overall upside due to that and his measurables (which you alluded to)...

sherman might be better in his press coverage technique and his ability to disrupt routes...

he also might be better purely in coverage (very hard to shake, consistent in not giving up much separation)...

it is also possible his coverage instincts are more natural (or at least better at this point)...

not sure if we polled starting CBs, if they would prefer to face sherman than peterson... because of his upside, maybe fewer would want to see peterson in their division long term, but right now, not so clear cut...

this raises some interesting questions...

it is true, if you want a run support CB for a given scheme, antoine winfield in his prime best i ever saw (one of best pound for pound tacklers at any position, sort of like the wolverine is in animal kingdom, winfield was to NFL :) )...

somebody who may not get a lot of historical recognition in best ever type polls, but michael haynes (patriots than raiders) was almost spooky in how he could mirror opposing WRs, definitely one of best pure cover CBs i ever saw...

maybe an approach to this would be to ask, if 32 GMs could take any CB in draft, who would they take...

with way the league is evolving and trending in passing direction, that puts coverage at a premium...

imo, pre-knee injury revis would have been dominant choice in such a CB-only draft among NFL front office, of players in recent years...

i haven't seen him much this season as far as how close he is to what he used to be (and some players, if they ever return close to completely back to form, it happens in second season back)... revis in his prime was closest i saw to deion... he didn't have that kind of speed (who does, except for darrell green?), but fantastic instincts and technique...

He was defensive player of the month, so he must be doing something right.

:shrug:
Rah rah rah...going to ask me what I don't know about Lambeau again...that was fun how you scurried off after that.
Sherman gets a bad rap for running his mouth, and people don't know what a really good guy he is. In his pc today he said that his award was a team effort and the Legion of Boom actually won the award this month..classy.
Very cool of him to do...my rah rah comment was more just for ITS getting that excited about such an award.

In the 2 games since this thread has been made.

The Seahawks are 1 - 1 and if not for a horrible INT by Schaub it could be 0 - 2

They have also allowed 2 receivers to go over 100 yards receiving, Andre Johnson, T.Y. Hilton. I am not saying I believe in jinxing your favorite team but...

Users who are viewing this thread