What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cedric Benson gets 3 game suspension! (1 Viewer)

% chance Scott plays well enough to keep the job after Benson comes back?I'm saying 10% (So you're saying there's a chance!)
how well do you think he has to play?
Well, in a normal organization or in Cincy?Benson is a solid back. Cincy wants to run him and get their money worth. Scott is more talented, but maybe less stable between the tackles.If Scott really impresses, can they just go back to Benson? They CAN, that would completely blow up what little farce of serious competition remains and prove, once and for all, even to the homers, that this is a complete joke of an organization.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm pumping the breaks. I may grab some Cincy RB action, but no way do they see my lineup that first week of the suspension.

I just have a bad feeling we're looking at a 70/30-60/40% share in FAVOR of Brian Leonard. :kicksrock:

I know that's not the flavor of kool-aid everyone wants to be drinking in this thread, but why is that so much worse then the predictions where Scott assumes the lead-back role?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked Benson's contract: 1 year, $3 million, $2 million in incentives.

So if Scott plays well, don't they have two million reasons not to let Benson take over again? Remember this is the Bengals.

I'm curious whether any players received or were denied any benefits during the lockout. I would think that could set a precedent on whether punishments could be levied against players during the lockout. Didn't the NFL try to pull health insurance from players? Did they succeed there?

Quite a few Bengals homers actually believe that Scott is a better back than Benson, and that this is his great chance to get the starter job he deserves.

I have Rice (bye week 5) og Wells (week 6) as my main RB's, so I picked up Scott today and I believe I've got a great bye week replacement. Here's to hoping the suspension will be the full three weeks :-)

I just checked Benson's contract: 1 year, $3 million, $2 million in incentives.So if Scott plays well, don't they have two million reasons not to let Benson take over again? Remember this is the Bengals.
Knowing the Bengals, the incentives were probably so high that Benson would have had to play almost every snap of 16 games to reach them. So if he only plays 13 games, the Bengals would have no problem letting Benson take over.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm pumping the breaks. I may grab some Cincy RB action, but no way do they see my lineup that first week of the suspension. I just have a bad feeling we're looking at a 70/30-60/40% share in FAVOR of Brian Leonard. :kicksrock:I know that's not the flavor of kool-aid everyone wants to be drinking in this thread, but why is that so much worse then the predictions where Scott assumes the lead-back role?
I'm with you griff. Scott has received nothing but praise and love from the fantasy community for years now. Not every young backup is destined to be the next Emmit Smith; sometimes he is just the next Troy Hambrick. I think the snap count breakdown over the first couple games has favored Leonard which could be an indicator that he is the better play. I think the work all goes back to a fresh Benson when he returns so either replacement is just a rental anyways.

I think Scott takes the spot and rolls on with it.

I don't like when any sports league allows a player to play when they've been suspended. It's odd and too many kids watch stuff like that. How many Cincy kids love Benson? OK he messed up, suspended, done. They get timeouts, they'll understand. They can't grasp this messy appeal process though and shouldn't have to.

there WR jerome simpson just got busted with 6 pounds of weed!
yeah he and collins had 2.5 pounds of weed(number I saw, who cares tho) NFL needs to investigate Cincy. I'm sick of them getting arrested there. These kids turned into millionaire men have to have better leaders. I wonder if all the other franchises' arrests add up to the total arrests cincy has had since Marvin. It's morally wrong for the game and there's always moral clauses in the entertainment world. The NFL needs to start digging in Cincy.

I dont get how they can suspend anyone for conduct during the lockout when they had no contract with the players. The union should be up in arms. Also how the hell do they go after Benson and leave Britt alone?
benson was arrested, charged, and convicted of assult twice... britt's first arrest during the lockout was reduced to reckless driving and his second arrest is still pending in court... his suspension could still be coming.
Can you explain why Albert Haynesworth was not suspended after he plead no contest to simple assault on a waitress?

This has the smell of RBBC with Scott getting the short end if Benson suspension holds. I stay away from this mess except in the deepest of leagues

'Gopher State said:
This has the smell of RBBC with Scott getting the short end if Benson suspension holds. I stay away from this mess except in the deepest of leagues
Any idea who has been getting the 1st team reps this week? Given the suspension, i think scott should get more carries this week (?10 touches) to let him get comfortable with the 1st team offense given only 6 carriers so far this year.

'Gopher State said:
Any idea who has been getting the 1st team reps this week? Given the suspension, i think scott should get more carries this week (?10 touches) to let him get comfortable with the 1st team offense given only 6 carriers so far this year.
Benson. His appeal date is set for Tuesday, so he'll be the workhorse again this week.

Scott's dynasty potential has been mostly speculative thus far, and for those of us who have been holding him (somewhat reluctantly, in my case), this opportunity should allow us to assess whether we should continue to hold or cut bait. I like Scott to be the guy over Leonard, in Benson's absence, but unless Scott is very impressive, Benson is likely to step back in after his suspension.

Marvin has been saying recently he wants to get Scott more touches (within the last week). He said in the offseason that it is his fault they didn't get him more touches last season. So the lip service is that Scott will be a bigger part of the offense. Though the first two weeks didn't bear this out.

I like Scott, he is a dynamic player and I think in this offense if you can get him the ball on swing passes out of the backfield he will be very productive.

Well here goes the theory that his appeal will fly through because there was a lockout:

"NFLPA agreed to allow punishment of eight players for lockout misconduct

The eight players identified in the letter are: Talib, Britt, Benson, Albert Haynesworth, Clark Haggans, Johnny Jolly, Pacman Jones, and Brandon Underwood."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/24/nflpa-agreed-to-allow-punishment-of-eight-players-for-lockout-misconduct/

If even the union is happy to let Benson get suspended I doubt the appeal to Goodell, of Goodell's own decision, will be swayed by any lockout argument.

Well here goes the theory that his appeal will fly through because there was a lockout:"NFLPA agreed to allow punishment of eight players for lockout misconductThe eight players identified in the letter are: Talib, Britt, Benson, Albert Haynesworth, Clark Haggans, Johnny Jolly, Pacman Jones, and Brandon Underwood."http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/24/nflpa-agreed-to-allow-punishment-of-eight-players-for-lockout-misconduct/If even the union is happy to let Benson get suspended I doubt the appeal to Goodell, of Goodell's own decision, will be swayed by any lockout argument.
But there technically was no union during the lockout.

Scott's dynasty potential has been mostly speculative thus far...
He's 27 years old!
Don't understand why people fixate on age of guys like Scott and even Greene. Wear and tear from number of career carries is far more indicative of how much tread is left on a guy's tires.
Simply put, because age is age, regardless of wear and tear. There have been a number of threads where this was discussed - athletes abilities worsen due to age after a certain point. Period. I would also theink the fact that he has never cracked the starting lineup ahead of a mediocre back like Benson might also be indicative of his skill set - but feel free to pick him up - he may be useful for the 2-3 games Benson is out.

i did pickup Scott after getting the email alert.

and to my dismay, now i'm reading people think Leonard is the better play.

What gives? To the folks here thinking Leonard is the smarter play, explain the rationale?

I get that he's a big guy, a Hillis prototype.. but anything else here?

I would think that with the Cincy receivers getting caught with dope, you'd rely more on a pass catching RB like Scott in weeks 4+.

He's 27 years old!
Don't understand why people fixate on age of guys like Scott and even Greene. Wear and tear from number of career carries is far more indicative of how much tread is left on a guy's tires.
Simply put, because age is age, regardless of wear and tear. There have been a number of threads where this was discussed - athletes abilities worsen due to age after a certain point. Period. I would also theink the fact that he has never cracked the starting lineup ahead of a mediocre back like Benson might also be indicative of his skill set - but feel free to pick him up - he may be useful for the 2-3 games Benson is out.
how many years do most rbs usually last? if scott can grasp a lead back roll and is effective, he could easily last 2-5 more years, and that is a standard return on less than elite backs.

'duh said:
i did pickup Scott after getting the email alert.and to my dismay, now i'm reading people think Leonard is the better play.What gives? To the folks here thinking Leonard is the smarter play, explain the rationale?I get that he's a big guy, a Hillis prototype.. but anything else here?I would think that with the Cincy receivers getting caught with dope, you'd rely more on a pass catching RB like Scott in weeks 4+.
It's just how I feel based on not much evidence. Same goes with Scott backers. To be fair I'd say the Scott backers in the expert community outweigh Leonard hopefuls by a good margin.

Was able to pick up Scott, but right now he is in the position of being startable for me the next few weeks, except he has less upside than the rest of my bench (Sims-Walker, Decker, DMoore) or there's underachievers I cant cut yet (Ingram/PT handcuff, DWill). Im guessing others are in a similar position.

Ive always liked Scott, and it looks like Im going to 1-2 and 0-3 in my leagues so I could really use a guy like him for a few weeks, but I wont be happy if he splits carries with Leonard and I kept him instead picking up this week's upside guys like Torrey Smith or Stevan Ridley.

My gut says he gets 75% of the carries, but this is the Bengals

'mr roboto said:
'cheese said:
Bengals still looking for options to use during the suspension...

Working out Larry Johnson
How many teams has he worked out for now?I don't think this reflects negatively on Scott necessarily. The Titans had Johnson and others in for workouts a couple weeks ago IIRC.

Just doing their due diligence.
He must be showing "just enough" to warrant all these calls, but not enough to clinch it. I am shocked they are not ringing Tiki...he would meld right in with the "company culture".

Bengals still looking for options to use during the suspension...

Working out Larry Johnson
How many teams has he worked out for now?I don't think this reflects negatively on Scott necessarily. The Titans had Johnson and others in for workouts a couple weeks ago IIRC.

Just doing their due diligence.
He must be showing "just enough" to warrant all these calls, but not enough to clinch it. I am shocked they are not ringing Tiki...he would meld right in with the "company culture".
LaCanfora reporting that they could sign Portis after he passes a physical...My link

Insurance or Scott/Leonard fill-in???

Well here goes the theory that his appeal will fly through because there was a lockout:"NFLPA agreed to allow punishment of eight players for lockout misconductThe eight players identified in the letter are: Talib, Britt, Benson, Albert Haynesworth, Clark Haggans, Johnny Jolly, Pacman Jones, and Brandon Underwood."http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/24/nflpa-agreed-to-allow-punishment-of-eight-players-for-lockout-misconduct/If even the union is happy to let Benson get suspended I doubt the appeal to Goodell, of Goodell's own decision, will be swayed by any lockout argument.
But there technically was no union during the lockout.
This wasn't agreed to during the lockout. It was agreed to after the lockout was over and the union was re-certified.

i did pickup Scott after getting the email alert.

and to my dismay, now i'm reading people think Leonard is the better play.

What gives? To the folks here thinking Leonard is the smarter play, explain the rationale?

I get that he's a big guy, a Hillis prototype.. but anything else here?

I would think that with the Cincy receivers getting caught with dope, you'd rely more on a pass catching RB like Scott in weeks 4+.
Brian Leonard has been used as the third down back for the last couple of seasons.

He's 27 years old!
how many years do most rbs usually last? if scott can grasp a lead back roll and is effective, he could easily last 2-5 more years, and that is a standard return on less than elite backs.
A few things. First off, Benson is 28, Scott 27. So in terms of dynasty value Scott is limited. Taken with the fact that for the last 2 years Scott and Benson have exsisted in the same backfield, and Benson has consistantly gotten a significant majority of touches. Right or wrong, Cincy doesn't seem to see Scott as the long term starter - if they did, they would have given him more than 60 rushing attempts last season (when Benson got 320+). If Scott get traded or cut (he is a FA 2013), then sure. But on the Bengals Scott is only getting starts while Benson is out - i.e. they don't seem to see him as a long term answer at RB. Obviously, if they renegotiate Scott's deal (or Benson's) that changes things.

I asked why in the game on Sunday if they knew Scott was going to be starting in a week, why not work Scott into the game more instead of just 2 for 10 yds, that seems kind of weird to me. Leonard is definitely the 3rd down back so that won't change and then I believe it will be Scott 2 drives, then maybe Leonard comes in for a series, then back to Scott. But I want to stress that Cinci is not a RB bonanza right now. Dalton has been efficient but teams are looking to shut the run down 1st and force Dalton to throw. Cinci typically starts off running a lot so they don't put Dalton in a bad spot to start the games and then they open things up as they go along.

I have a hard time discussing things with Scott owners because they seem to think Soctt is the best kept secret in the world but I have done a lot of Cinci recaps the last couple years and I never see anything that makes think he is a 1,500 yd guy in the making. He also seems rather small when running and I don't see him capable of 20-25 carries a game.

I picked up Scott right before the games last week in a short roster(14-15) league and we have some owners that are bleeding badly from injuries. As soon as they announce Scott is the starter the next 3 weeks, my plan is to move him immediately to one of these teams that is hemorrhaging at the RB spot.

A few things. First off, Benson is 28, Scott 27. So in terms of dynasty value Scott is limited. Taken with the fact that for the last 2 years Scott and Benson have exsisted in the same backfield, and Benson has consistantly gotten a significant majority of touches. Right or wrong, Cincy doesn't seem to see Scott as the long term starter - if they did, they would have given him more than 60 rushing attempts last season (when Benson got 320+). If Scott get traded or cut (he is a FA 2013), then sure. But on the Bengals Scott is only getting starts while Benson is out - i.e. they don't seem to see him as a long term answer at RB. Obviously, if they renegotiate Scott's deal (or Benson's) that changes things.
totally agree, the bengals, despite often gushing lip service to the contrary, have shown they with their actions they dont have any plans for utilizing scott. its a weird situation where, since day one, coaches and players have raved about him.

Link

There is some good info there as to why it is complicated and taking so long. Benson might be able to get this delayed another week as it is a messy deal. Goodell is such a (bleep) to add this into things. The guy should have been a prison warden or perhaps was in his former life.

Link

There is some good info there as to why it is complicated and taking so long. Benson might be able to get this delayed another week as it is a messy deal. Goodell is such a (bleep) to add this into things. The guy should have been a prison warden or perhaps was in his former life.
So Goodell is the one that made the agreement to make Benson one of the guys eligible for punishment on things that happened during the lockout?

According to John Clayton, the decision to suspend Benson may not come until next week. He should be able to play this weekend unless a decision comes late in the week. They normally don't announce suspensions late in the week so the team doesn't have to make personnel decisions last minute.

Per FBG email

"The NFL is unlikely to make a decision on Cincinnati Bengals RB Cedric Benson's suspension appeal until next week. Benson will miss Week 4 but is hoping his suspension is reduced."

Can't seem to find anything that confirms Benson is out for week 4. Wonder what their source is?

Sorry. Should have been clearer. What I meant was I see nothing on roto for example (where Evan Silva resides) that states Benson WILL miss week 4.

totally agree, the bengals, despite often gushing lip service to the contrary, have shown they with their actions they dont have any plans for utilizing scott. its a weird situation where, since day one, coaches and players have raved about him.
This situation feels similar to when Jerome Harrison was backing up Jamal Lewis at the end of his career. For years, all the fantasy pundits were screaming to give Harrison a shot because he was more explosive, but the Browns sat on him and kept giving the ball to Lewis. Even after Lewis went down and Harrison exploded at the end of '09 ( against terrible defenses ), he's proven himself to be nothing more than a backup/COP back. The situation with Scott feels almost identical, except that he hasn't had the breakout opportunity. Either way, it seems like there's something the coaching staff has seen that the fantasy gurus haven't. You could almost say the same thing about Peerman, on the same team, at this point.I hope I'm wrong, as I nabbed Scott last week and could really use a breakout, but it seems there's a reason it may not happen.

Users who are viewing this thread