What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charles Clay (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Dolphins transition player Charles Clay signed a five-year, $38 million offer sheet with the Bills.
The deal includes a whopping $20 million guaranteed, and $24.2 million over the first two years. Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the offer is "structured to attack" Miami's cap space in 2016. The Dolphins now have five days to match. They will receive no compensation if they pass. It's the culmination of a week-long odyssey that's seen the AFC East rivals jockey over the H-back whilst remaking their rosters at tight end. The Bills cut Scott Chandler, while Miami signed Jordan Cameron. The Buffalo News previously reported there's a "90 percent chance" Clay ends up a Bill. NFL Network's Mike Silver reports the Dolphins' final offer to Clay was for four years and $27 million, and included $15 million guaranteed.

Related: Bills

Source: Vic Carucci on Twitter
Mar 17 - 7:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Dolphins transition player Charles Clay signed a five-year, $38 million offer sheet with the Bills.
The deal includes a whopping $20 million guaranteed, and $24.2 million over the first two years. Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the offer is "structured to attack" Miami's cap space in 2016. The Dolphins now have five days to match. They will receive no compensation if they pass. It's the culmination of a week-long odyssey that's seen the AFC East rivals jockey over the H-back whilst remaking their rosters at tight end. The Bills cut Scott Chandler, while Miami signed Jordan Cameron. The Buffalo News previously reported there's a "90 percent chance" Clay ends up a Bill. NFL Network's Mike Silver reports the Dolphins' final offer to Clay was for four years and $27 million, and included $15 million guaranteed.

Related: Bills

Source: Vic Carucci on Twitter
Mar 17 - 7:21 PM
stupid high numbers.

Charles Clay signs offer sheet with Buffalo BillsExcerpts:

The Dolphins now have five days to match the offer sheet or lose Clay to the Bills without getting anything in return. It would be a surprise if the Dolphins matched it. With Clay set to receive $24.5 million over the first two years, Rapoport notes the deal is structured to attack Miami's salary cap in 2016. In comparison, Rob Gronkowsk's average annual salary is about $9 million.
The total deal is "only" for $38 million for five years. In essense, the Bills are gambling that Clay stays on the roster for the length of the deal. If he gets hurt in his second season, they will have paid him like a top-five NFL wide receiver.
Clay would give the Bills another unique weapon that can move around the offensive formation, much like Percy Harvin and LeSean McCoy. Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods adds to the team's arsenal, and new offensive coordinator Greg Roman loves to get creative. Buffalo's quarterback situation may be up in the air, but this is one of the most talented teams in football on both sides of the ball.

Man that is a stupid contract. I thought Clay was underrated but in no way is he worth that much. Worse than the total amount is front-loading it like they did. Miami was never going to match anyways.

The deal includes a whopping $20 million guaranteed, and $24.2 million over the first two years.
Right there in value with Kyle Rudolph:

Kyle Rudolph signed a 5 year / $36,500,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $6,500,000 signing bonus, $18,500,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,300,000.

That is $3mm more guaranteed than the Jaguars gave Julius Thomas. He will be the highest paid tight end over the next two seasons by over $2mm each year.

That is $3mm more guaranteed than the Jaguars gave Julius Thomas. He will be the highest paid tight end over the next two seasons by over $2mm each year.
The Jags gave Thomas $24M guaranteed and he'll get paid $21M for the first two years (including signing bonus). The rest of his deal is 3 years/$25M.

Clay is getting $20M guaranteed and he'll get paid $24.2M for the first two years (including signing bonus). The rest of his deal is 3 years/$13.8M.

Clay's deal is front loaded so the Bills will pay $3.2M more for the first two years, but his salary after that is $3.7M a year cheaper than Thomas.

The Jags gave Thomas $24M guaranteed and he'll get paid $21M for the first two years (including signing bonus). The rest of his deal is 3 years/$25M.

Clay is getting $20M guaranteed and he'll get paid $24.2M for the first two years (including signing bonus). The rest of his deal is 3 years/$13.8M.

Clay's deal is front loaded so the Bills will pay $3.2M more for the first two years, but his salary after that is $3.7M a year cheaper than Thomas.
Misread the Clay guarantee as $24mm, but this site has Thomas at $21mm.

they aint paying this much for a blocker and why did rex want this guy so bad if he could of made the same play for thomas? what is it that clay does so well that rex is willing to spray his cash all over clays face?

they aint paying this much for a blocker and why did rex want this guy so bad if he could of made the same play for thomas? what is it that clay does so well that rex is willing to spray his cash all over clays face?
Clay has more balanced skills between blocking & receiving that Rex wants. Scott Chandler was good receiver but poor blocker. Clay not the downfield threat of a Thomas but better blocker since he started as a FB and Bills still going run a bunch.

Clay has more balanced skills between blocking & receiving that Rex wants. Scott Chandler was good receiver but poor blocker. Clay not the downfield threat of a Thomas but better blocker since he started as a FB and Bills still going run a bunch.
pretty much this plus JT, as good as he is downfield, is not as good a short yardage receiver. Presumably Rex believes Clay fits his offense better.

pretty much this plus JT, as good as he is downfield, is not as good a short yardage receiver. Presumably Rex believes Clay fits his offense better.
he has shown signs of good talent but that can get lost in miami not being a focal point. where does his value sit now. im pretty sure his targets should go up based off this signing and few receiving options in buffalo. the past two years in miami clay had 102 and 84 targets if he can get 115 targets we can see 75/900/7 which is what kelce put up this past season roughly. Clay did have 69/759/6 on 102 targets in 2013. 102 targets were good for 7th in 2013 and if he did have 115 last year that would have been good for 5th just ahead of delaine walker so not impossible.

From a football, not Fantasy perspective, that is INSANE money being offered to Clay.

From the Fantasy side of things, I think he can't repeat even his TE2/Flex numbers in Buffalo. Or if he does, that's about the ceiling.

If he does make it to Buffalo, I think the guy I like to emerge from the smoke is Dion Sims. He could be a guy that puts up Clay's numbers right away, or be useful as an FA pick up in March as speculative bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a football, not Fantasy perspective, that is INSANE money being offered to Clay.

From the Fantasy side of things, I think he can't repeat even his TE2/Flex numbers in Buffalo. Or if he does, that's about the ceiling.

If he does make it to Buffalo, I think the guy I like to emerge from the smoke is Dion Sims. He could be a guy that puts up Clay's numbers right away, or be useful as an FA pick up in March as speculative bait.
chandler was a top 20 te in buffalo last year on few targets with bad qbs and less talent in standard ppr. i see that as a person with more talent and making clays money to get more opportunity than chandler did. so being in the top 20 in a 12 team league is definition of te2 and chandler did that in buffalo.

chandler was a top 20 te in buffalo last year on few targets with bad qbs and less talent in standard ppr. i see that as a person with more talent and making clays money to get more opportunity than chandler did. so being in the top 20 in a 12 team league is definition of te2 and chandler did that in buffalo.
Let's imagine 60 for 700 and 6, as a rough estimation of what Clay does in Buffalo, as a balance of slightly increased opportunity, slightly weaker QB play, and commitment to the run/weather/adjustment to a new system. So sure, TE2. Not useless. I am guessing that's the ceiling, is all.

And heck, Mike Rivera is going to put that up this year. Nobody would pay him Clay's money, and nobody wants him in my leagues. Just sayin.

Clay can be a top 10 TE in Buffalo, though he's probably closer to 10 than 5. He's very much in the tier of Heath Miller, Cook, Walker, etc. He could have been top 5 in another offense (I'm disappointed NO didn't go after him). But I would agree that he doesn't have top 5 upside in Buffalo. At least until they get a QB.

When Cameron misses games, Sims will do well. Maybe even as their TE2. But with JC in town he isn't worth much.

Let's imagine 60 for 700 and 6, as a rough estimation of what Clay does in Buffalo, as a balance of slightly increased opportunity, slightly weaker QB play, and commitment to the run/weather/adjustment to a new system. So sure, TE2. Not useless. I am guessing that's the ceiling, is all.

And heck, Mike Rivera is going to put that up this year. Nobody would pay him Clay's money, and nobody wants him in my leagues. Just sayin.
so you let what other people think of a player drive your value of him? so if he puts up 60/700/6 that is a 166 points in standard ppr. would have been good for 6th last year, if you or other owners dont want that value i dont know what to tell you. rivera isnt a bad te if people dont value him because there isnt enough hype that is their problem too.

so you let what other people think of a player drive your value of him? so if he puts up 60/700/6 that is a 166 points in standard ppr. would have been good for 6th last year, if you or other owners dont want that value i dont know what to tell you. rivera isnt a bad te if people dont value him because there isnt enough hype that is their problem too.
60/650 he could possibly get, but 6 TD's is a lot. The Bills added Harvin and replaced Spiller with McCoy but have Cassel at QB.

Thomas benefits immensely from having Manning. My bet is that if you swapped Clay and Thomas last year, their stats would pretty much flip as well. Clay drops less passes, causes more missed tackles and is a MUCH better blocker than Thomas.

Bad contract. They overpaid (as most do for free agents) but this is not a great player by any stretch.

I liked Clay. I am glad the Fins did not over pay for him like the Bills are.

If Clay plays out all five years this will look like a pretty good contract. Especially given the expected size of the cap from 2017-2019. If he's done in a year or two it's pretty bad.

Bad contract. They overpaid (as most do for free agents) but this is not a great player by any stretch.

what don't you like about him?
Like I said I liked Clay. Gutsy player. Has great hands. But he is not a game changer by any stretch. Undersized compared to the better TE's in the league. And the fact we signed Jordan Cameron made him expendable. That would not be a good contract for the Dolphins and their current state. They have a lot of holes to fill. Signing another TE to that kind of money would not be money well spent for the Fins. Maybe he goes on and becomes a star for the Bills....then the contract looks great. But I don't think you will see much more production than what he did in 2013. That to me is who he is. A solid pass catcher. But I don't see a very high ceiling.

If they can use him properly, he has plenty of athleticism to put up numbers:

Clay Highlights

Also, to give an idea of how far under the radar he's mostly been:

Dennis Pitta's best season: 61/669/7 (in 2012)

Charles Clay's best season: 69/759/7 (in 2013)

Both accomplished those seasons in their 3rd year, both finished TE8 in their respective seasons, except Clay was 3 yrs younger when he did it than Pitta.

Pitta was considered a TE to target after his season and Clay has mostly been an afterthought amongst the FF community. The fact that Miami tagged him like they did and Buffalo paid a ton to make sure they got him shows that the NFL thinks more of him than we do.

Clay Highlights

Also, to give an idea of how far under the radar he's mostly been:

Dennis Pitta's best season: 61/669/7 (in 2012)

Charles Clay's best season: 69/759/7 (in 2013)

Both accomplished those seasons in their 3rd year, both finished TE8 in their respective seasons, except Clay was 3 yrs younger when he did it than Pitta.

Pitta was considered a TE to target after his season and Clay has mostly been an afterthought amongst the FF community. The fact that Miami tagged him like they did and Buffalo paid a ton to make sure they got him shows that the NFL thinks more of him than we do.
There is a lot to say about age and athleticism. And that is why teams either look super smart or superbly dumb in free agency. Remains to be seen if the Bills overpaid.

what don't you like about him?
Like I said I liked Clay. Gutsy player. Has great hands. But he is not a game changer by any stretch. Undersized compared to the better TE's in the league. And the fact we signed Jordan Cameron made him expendable. That would not be a good contract for the Dolphins and their current state. They have a lot of holes to fill. Signing another TE to that kind of money would not be money well spent for the Fins. Maybe he goes on and becomes a star for the Bills....then the contract looks great. But I don't think you will see much more production than what he did in 2013. That to me is who he is. A solid pass catcher. But I don't see a very high ceiling.
A lot of TEs are certainly bigger, but there are plenty of good pass-catching TEs his size and smaller that have done just fine in the NFL.

Charles Clay -- 6'3, 255

Antonio Gates -- 6'4, 255

Jordan Reed -- 6'2, 237

Aaron Hernandez -- 6'1, 245

Owen Daniels -- 6'3, 245

D. Allen -- 6'3, 265

Bigger than all but Gates and Allen (1 inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter, respectively). He's not that undersized that it would keep him from succeeding. He's not Gronk or Graham, but that list shows guys that have put up pretty big seasons and/or pretty decent fantasy seasons that shouldn't be ignored.

The route he runs into the endzone at about the 1:30 mark is unreal.

The thing to like about Clay in those highlights is that he's often too fast for the LBers and too big for the DBs. You see him burning multiple LBers deep and using his body to shield DBs from the ball. That's the type of weapon that keeps teams from being able to stack the box.

Love all of BUF's moves. The problem is they still don't have the most important position in all of sports filled. Without a QB, while sad, the talent of all these guys (except maybe shady) is going to be squandered.

to me this is the worst overpay this FA period so far... i'd rather have the concussion prone cameron at 2/15 than give clay that much guaranteed cash. As a bear fan it sure makes the contract they gave Marty bennett in 2013 at 4 yr for $17m look like stealing.

Rotoworld:

Charles Clay said the Bills "don't want me coming off the field."

Clay better be an every-down player considering the Bills made him the NFL's highest-paid tight end over the next two seasons ($11.5M per). That doesn't mean he'll be a statistical force. Clay will block a lot in Rex Ryan's run-centric offense and when the Bills do pass, it will be spread around by shaky quarterbacks. Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin and Robert Woods will be chirping for targets.

Source: Buffalo News
Mar 26 - 8:08 AM

Rotoworld:

The Bills intend to use Charles Clay on all three downs.

The Bills showed how high they were on Clay by making him the NFL's highest-paid tight end over the next three years. He's going to be an every-down player and his ADP is currently undrafted. There's not a ton of upside given the Bills' offensive philosophy and quarterback situation, but 60 catches is well within reach.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo
Jun 25 - 9:18 AM

Rotoworld:

Charles Clay said the Bills "don't want me coming off the field."

Clay better be an every-down player considering the Bills made him the NFL's highest-paid tight end over the next two seasons ($11.5M per). That doesn't mean he'll be a statistical force. Clay will block a lot in Rex Ryan's run-centric offense and when the Bills do pass, it will be spread around by shaky quarterbacks. Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin and Robert Woods will be chirping for targets.

Mar 26 - 8:08 AM
They must really value his run blocking, then.

Rotoworld:

Charles Clay - TE - Bills

Bills No. 2 TE MarQueis Gray calls Greg Roman's offense "tight end heaven."

We wouldn't refer to Roman's scheme as "heaven" for anyone. Although Vernon Davis did catch, 26 touchdowns in his four years with Roman, he was far more effective under Jimmy Raye. Still, the Bills' commitment to Charles Clay ($24.5M over the next two seasons) shows they're serious about using the tight end. Don't be surprised if he finishes second in targets on the team, behind only Sammy Watkins.

Related: MarQueis Gray

Jul 13 - 8:47 AM

Rotoworld:

Charles Clay had two catches for 69 yards and a touchdown in the Bills third preseason game.

Clay got open deep against the Steelers Cover-2 for a 67-yard touchdown. It was the first time he's made in impact in any of Buffalo's preseason games. Clay will open the season as a mid-range TE2.

Aug 29 - 6:36 PM

Clay should be a good start week 4 against the Giants. He'said developing good chemistry with TT and Watkins is out. Giants to date giving up fantasy points to tight ends.

Clay should be a good start week 4 against the Giants. He'said developing good chemistry with TT and Watkins is out. Giants to date giving up fantasy points to tight ends.
My thoughts exactly. Clay starts this week for me as Gronk is on a bye week.

Another Gronk owner here rolling out Clay in his stead this week. I expect good things, chose him over Daniels which wasn't hard.

How sustainable is Clay? The Gronk owner has him but he asked for Arian Foster straight up which I rejected immediately. I'm not expecting Top 5 TE, but anyone have issues with this guy being your week to week starter?

No reason he can't be a top 5 TE in my opinion. Taylor looks for him constantly and he also had like a 45 yard TD called back last game because of a chop block by Incognito.

How sustainable is Clay? The Gronk owner has him but he asked for Arian Foster straight up which I rejected immediately. I'm not expecting Top 5 TE, but anyone have issues with this guy being your week to week starter?
Clay definitely seems to be Tyrod Taylor's first option as long as Watkins is out.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports Charles Clay (back) is still "a bit sore" and is considered questionable for Week 16 against the Cowboys.

Clay missed last week with a pulled muscle in his back. He returned to a limited practice Wednesday, and the Bills are reportedly optimistic about his chances of playing. Clay has one touchdown since Week 3 and has not surpassed 70 yards receiving since Week 4. He will be a low-upside TE2 even if he suits up.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Dec 24 - 8:59 AM

Users who are viewing this thread