What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlie Johnson named starting LT for Colts (1 Viewer)

djcolts

Footballguy
Link

Caldwell: Charlie Johnson now starting LT for Indianapolis Colts

Aug.10, 2009 in General Leave a Comment

Indianapolis Colts OL Charlie Johnson is now the starting left tackle, Colts Head Coach Jim Cadlwell said late Monday morning.

Johnson, after missing the first week of training camp with a pectoral injury, returned to practice Monday morning. He worked at starting left tackle during the session.

Tony Ugoh, a starter at left tackle much of 2007 and 2008 and a 2007 second-round draft selection, will work at right and left tackle, Caldwell said.
Just about every knowledgable Colts fan has any hopes for this season dashed, unless this is simply to light a fire under Ugoh. Johnson is not a starting-caliber LT in the NFL. Not even close. Downgrade all your Colts.Edit (8/21/2009) - Still not too impressed with Johnson, but right now he's less bad than Ugoh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think this guy will be such a bust? I honestly have never heard of the guy. Just looking for a scouting report...

Why do you think this guy will be such a bust? I honestly have never heard of the guy. Just looking for a scouting report...
If you can find the 2nd half of the Colts/Pats game in 2007 - you'll see all you need to see on how bad he is at LT.Also - he was the LT in the Colts/Chargers game where Peyton threw 6 picks. He got hurt, and they replaced him with the 3rd stringer - and the Colts actually moved the ball much better in the 2nd half of that game with Johnson out of the game.

Charlie Johnson settled in at left guard, where he is quick enough, but not really strong enough to deal with big defensive tackles. - Football Outsiders 2009

Who is this guy and what happened with Ugoh?
Ugoh basically isn't tough enough for the job. He has the arms and feet of a LT, but he hasn't put it together yet. I really, really hope that this is just something to motivate Ugoh. Even at this point, I'd rather see Ugoh at LT than Charlie Johnson - and it isn't close.

From the Colts Team Page ... http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=bio&player_id=386

CAREER NOTES

2008: Started 16 games, 12 at LG and four at LT…started at LT games 3-6…was one of two OL to start all 16 games (Ryan Diem)…with linemates, has helped club produce 5,000+ net yards in last three seasons (club has produced franchise record 11 consecutive overall)…line allowed 14 sacks in 2008, ranking 3rd in AFC and 4th in NFL in fewest sacks allowed…marked sixth time in seven seasons club ranked in top five in NFL (23, 2002, 4th; 19, 2003, 3rd; 14, 2004, T1st; 20, 2005, 1st; 15, 2006, 1st; 23, 2007, 7th; 14, 2008, 4th)…line set franchise record in 2008 for best ratio of sacks per pass plays (1 sack for every 42.8 pass plays), while six-best ratios of sacks per pass plays in the club's 56-year history have been accomplished since 1998: 1 sack for 42.8 pass plays in 2008 (599 pass plays, 14 sacks); 1 for 40.0 in 1999 (560, 14), 1 for 38.6 in 2004 (541, 14), 1 for 38.1 in 2006 (572, 15), 1 for 30.9 in 2003 (588, 19), 1 for 29.6 in 2000 (591, 20), 1 for 26.7 in 2002 (614, 23) and 1 for 27.2 in 1998 (598, 22)…line helped QB-Peyton Manning become only NFL passer with 11 consecutive seasons with 25+-TD passes and 3,000+ seasons to open career, while Manning extended his NFL record for 4,000+ seasons to nine. POST-SEASON: Started at LG in Wild Card Playoffs at San Diego 1/3.

2007: Second-year tackle who opened 10 of 14 games at LT and RT…was inactive for first two games vs. New Orleans 9/6 and at Tennessee 9/16…saw action on special teams in games 3-5 before seeing reserve action at LT for injured Tony Ugoh at Jacksonville 10/22…started at LT games 7-11 before filling in for injured RT-Ryan Diem games 12-16…line allowed 23 sacks in 2007, ranking 5th in AFC and 7th in NFL in fewest sacks allowed…snapped streak of five consecutive seasons club ranked in top five in fewest sacks allowed...line helped RB-Joseph Addai (261-1,072, 12 TDs) become third Colts rusher (Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James) to begin career with consecutive 1,000+ seasons...line helped team total 19 rushing TDs, the most since 22 in 1990…line helped club produce 7th 4,000+-passer (4,040, Manning) and 1,000+-rusher (1,072, Addai) and 1,000+-receiver (1,510, WR-Reggie Wayne) tandem. POST-SEASON: Saw action on special teams in Divisional Playoffs vs. San Diego 1/13.

2006: Rookie who started one of 16 games at OT…started at RT for injured Diem at Tennessee 12/3…was reserve RT vs. Philadelphia 11/26 and reserve LT at Houston 12/24…action in other contests came on special teams and short-yardage situations. POST-SEASON: Saw action as reserve RT for injured Diem vs. Chicago 2/4 in Super Bowl XLI…saw action on special teams and short-yardage situations vs. Kansas City 1/6 in Wild Card Playoffs, at Baltimore 1/13 in Divisional Playoffs and vs. New England 1/21 in AFC Championship Game…helped club average 151.0 rushing yards per game and hold 35:02 time of possession average.

For the full bio and further information read the Colts Media Guide.

COLLEGE

Versatile player who opened 14 of 42 games…began career as TE before switching to OL in final season…started nine games on OL as senior…appeared in 10 games as junior, primarily as blocking TE…was 5-57 receiving…started two of 13 games at TE as sophomore…was 7-67, 2 TDs receiving…had TD receptions against Louisiana-Lafayette and Texas Tech…started three of 10 games as freshman…was 8-109, 2 TDs receiving…had 13t against Oklahoma…other scoring grab came against SMU…was 3-47, including 25-yard reception against Southern Mississippi in Houston Bowl…majored in education.

PERSONAL

Full name is Charlie Johnson…born in Sherman, Texas.…attended Sherman High School…was all-district TE as senior…was 13-135, 1 TD receiving…had 56 tackles, five passes defensed, three sacks and one FR on defense…also was co-MVP of district in basketball…Johnson and his wife, Nicole, reside in Sherman, Texas.

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :lmao: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.

Is he a bad pass blocker/run blocker/both?
He's not a LT - his arms are too short and he doesn't have the feet for the job. He's best served as a G/RT and has some versatility.
So why would they go with him at LT then? It's early in TC. They could make a change, right? Looks like we need to pay close attention to these preseason games:PHI @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 8:00 PM Tickets FOX IND @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM Tickets NFL NETWORK Seems both games are televised nationally...

If he has the quickness but lacked strength at guard, I can see the coaches thinking he might be better suited for tackle.

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :lmao: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
Well, it's either that or the Colts became the Rams of the last few years...

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? ;) This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
Maybe you should post this on the various Colts forums and blogs - because there isn't a single Colts fan that would agree with this - at least that I've seen so far.

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :confused: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
Maybe you should post this on the various Colts forums and blogs - because there isn't a single Colts fan that would agree with this - at least that I've seen so far.
As an Eagles fan, I've long ago come to accept that what the fans get most vehement about is usually what we're most wrong about.

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :confused: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
As an Eagles fan, I've long ago come to accept that what the fans get most vehement about is usually what we're most wrong about.
I hope you're right. I really do. But, unless he's made huge leaps and strides in the off-season to show that he can be starting caliber LT (I've never seen him play anything close to that in the past) - this is now by far my biggest concern as a Colts fan.

Peyton Manning makes his offensive line look good, so I am not too worried about Johnson taking over at LT. Besides, there is still plenty of time until the season starts. You could well be correct that it is a way of lighting a fire under Tony Ugoh.

So...he's either been named starter because he's made some huge strides, or because Ugoh has fallen that much.

Can't wait to watch some preseason games!

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :rolleyes: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
yep.from what I have heard and seen (I admit probably not as much as the serious Colt fans) the gap between the 2 wasn't so great and neither appeared to be quality starter material. sounds like Colts reached on Ugoh when they should not have because that perennial all-pro they had (Glenn?) retired and they panicked.

So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :football: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
yep.from what I have heard and seen (I admit probably not as much as the serious Colt fans) the gap between the 2 wasn't so great and neither appeared to be quality starter material. sounds like Colts reached on Ugoh when they should not have because that perennial all-pro they had (Glenn?) retired and they panicked.
Just to clarify: They drafted Ugoh - then Glenn retired a couple of months later. However, I think they knew that Glenn was likely to retire when they drafted Ugoh.

brutha said:
Jason Wood said:
So Caldwell, Mudd and Moore, three proven offensive minds if there ever were, who have overseen this offense and highly effective O-line for years, decide Johnson is better than Ugoh and we're supposed to panic about this move? :thumbup: This isn't a situation where Ugoh was a stud and tore his ACL and now the team has to put a good face on a tough spot, this is a case of the starting LT on an offensive line that rarely gives up sacks, being outplayed and relegated to a backup gig. That sounds like GREAT news to me.
actually, and not to nitpick, but the colts drafted Ugoh in hopes that he would have a year or two under Glenn before he retired. Glenn then dropped the bombshell that he was going to retire before training camp started and that forced the colts to start Ugoh as a rook. needless to say, it is beginning to look as if the colts made a mistake in trading a first in order to move up to get Ugoh.

IIRC, Johnson had a nice game in the Superbowl a couple years back. Ugoh sucked last year. I'd rather have him as a top backup than a struggling starter.

I think Johnson will help the run game but will be scary in pass protection.

I honestly think the Colts are going to run a bunch of spread 4 and 5 WR/TE packages that are quick hitting where the pass blocking is less concerning. Then Johnson could benefit the running game.

We'll see.

IIRC, Johnson had a nice game in the Superbowl a couple years back. Ugoh sucked last year. I'd rather have him as a top backup than a struggling starter.I think Johnson will help the run game but will be scary in pass protection.I honestly think the Colts are going to run a bunch of spread 4 and 5 WR/TE packages that are quick hitting where the pass blocking is less concerning. Then Johnson could benefit the running game.We'll see.
Johnson was playing RT in the Super Bowl, and the Colts ran it down the Bears' throats in a rain-soaked game.I'm definitely scared of Johnson in pass protection. Ugoh is not living up to his draft position - but I still feel more comfortable with him in pass protection than Johnson. I really hope I'm wrong and Johnson has taken a big leap in the off-season. I still have nightmares about his play in the 2007 games vs. the Pats and Chargers where he was just plain awful.

You are right, downgrade Manning and Wayne BIG TIME.They are almost undraftable now.
I understand the sarcasm - but to Colts fans this was the first major blow in training camp (where every team feels optimistic that things will go really well this season based on seeing the improvements in the off-season). So - I was very upset when I saw this news - especially seeing his play at LT in the past has been shaky (and that is being generous).

Known this guy for a long time... High School teammate in football/basketball @ Sherman where I grew up. Had soft/big hands, good footwork and athleticism for his size but nothing to crazy. Hard worker and great attitude but I agree that the Colts could be in trouble with Chuck playing LT esp. vs. pass rush. Not sure if my efame is going up/down. :lmao:

If you can find the 2nd half of the Colts/Pats game in 2007 - you'll see all you need to see on how bad he is at LT.Also - he was the LT in the Colts/Chargers game where Peyton threw 6 picks. He got hurt, and they replaced him with the 3rd stringer - and the Colts actually moved the ball much better in the 2nd half of that game with Johnson out of the game.
Ugoh was not the reason Peyton threw those picks.

Preseason week 1:

Charlie Johnson didn't play. Reviews on Ugoh's play was generally OK - the coach gave positive comment's on his play - and from what I saw and what I've read from others - I think OK is probably a fair grade for his play on Friday. The real issue on Friday was 3rd string RT Corey Hilliard - his performance was absolutely dreadful - he gave up 2 of the 3 sacks on Peyton - and he wasn't even close to get a block on his man. I'm concerned about the offensive line overall - but I think Hilliard will be not make the 53-man roster (I think Dan Federkeil is a better backup tackle and he can also play guard) - and therefore overeacting to this preseason series is probably not wise.

Preseason game 2:

Charlie Johnson started at LT. He was beaten badly on the Manning strip/sack in the 2nd series. He was servicable in the other 2 drives - and seems like he's a decent run blocker. The rest of the line played better than last week. The first drive was impressive - the 3rd drive was a fluke thanks to a blown assignment by Ellis Hobbs.

Ugoh - however - was not good at all in backup duty - so it looks like the coaches are correct in demoting him at this point. I think Johnson will definitely be the starting LT for the Colts now - and I expect a TE to help out against good pash rushing DEs.

Preseason game 2:Charlie Johnson started at LT. He was beaten badly on the Manning strip/sack in the 2nd series. He was servicable in the other 2 drives - and seems like he's a decent run blocker. The rest of the line played better than last week. The first drive was impressive - the 3rd drive was a fluke thanks to a blown assignment by Ellis Hobbs.Ugoh - however - was not good at all in backup duty - so it looks like the coaches are correct in demoting him at this point. I think Johnson will definitely be the starting LT for the Colts now - and I expect a TE to help out against good pash rushing DEs.
yep. Being at the game (haven't watched the tape yet), I saw a lot of Tamme chipping the end, then hitting the flat as a release. Looks like it worked quite well, and Tamme has really improved his blocking. Looks at this pt to be Wayne/Gonzo outside, Clark in the slot, and Tamme on the left over Johnson. Also of note, Collie is definitely the 3rd wr on the field right now. He and Gonzo stacked together is deadly.

Mid-week update. GM Bill Polian was on an Indy sporst radio station yesterday. He said this:

We'll find out over the next two weeks which of Charlie Johnson or Tony Ugoh has a lock on the job. Right now, you'd have to say Charlie has an edge. Of Johnson, Polian said, he has come on and played better each and every day. It's reasonable to assume if Charlie's the guy we can trust him to do a heck of a job out there.
http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/ar.../3242#more-3242The Colts 3rd and most important pre-season game is Saturday at 1pm on NFL Network (vs the Lions). I won't be able to watch it live because I have my keeper league auction going on, but I'll DVR it and give some thoughts on Sunday on how the two LTs do. I expect the "starter" (looking like Charlie Johnson) to not play in pre-season game 4 - so this is it before the season starts to evaluate him.

I will say this in bold for emphasis:

I was wrong. Charlie Johnson can play left tackle in the NFL.

Pass protection is much better than last year so far. It allows Peyton to throw it deep sometimes - and it is paying off.

Users who are viewing this thread