What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chester Talor - How Valuable Is He? (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Just trying to get a feel for what people think of Taylor. I drafted him late in my league for cheap and was thinking about shopping him to the ADP owner. Not sure if I want to as my depth is fairly thin and rests in the hands of possible sleepers. Thinking of offering him Taylor for Anthony Gonzalez, which I think is a pretty equal swap... where do you guys put him?

I know a lot of his value depends on ADP's health, so assuming he stays healthy all season, where do you put him? What are your projections?

Is 1000 total yards, 6 TDs, and 30 receptions too high?

I could see him rushing for 800, 200 receiving, and scoring 6-7 times. I really ADP is overrated this year, I think he's a top 10 back, but not so much top 2 or 3 or even 5. Maybe not even top 10.

I drafted him cheap as my #3 RB - think he will get his this year. Anyone know his contract status? Will he be a UFA next year?

i have ADP in 2 dynasty leagues and have been trying to get Taylor as a handcuff. the asking price is to high. one owner wants a young RB like Perry or Smith. The price might come down as the season goes along.

Warriors Forever said:
Just trying to get a feel for what people think of Taylor. I drafted him late in my league for cheap and was thinking about shopping him to the ADP owner. Not sure if I want to as my depth is fairly thin and rests in the hands of possible sleepers. Thinking of offering him Taylor for Anthony Gonzalez, which I think is a pretty equal swap... where do you guys put him? I know a lot of his value depends on ADP's health, so assuming he stays healthy all season, where do you put him? What are your projections? Is 1000 total yards, 6 TDs, and 30 receptions too high? I could see him rushing for 800, 200 receiving, and scoring 6-7 times. I really ADP is overrated this year, I think he's a top 10 back, but not so much top 2 or 3 or even 5. Maybe not even top 10.
I think Taylor's upside is much higher than what you're asking for him. Right now, Gonzalez for CT is probably a fair trade...but did you draft CT to get today's value? This is a guy who could put up bye-week replacement numbers right now, and if AP gets hurt you have a #1 RB behind a great OL. How many people have to get hurt for Gonzalez to be the #1 WR in Indy?

He's the kind of player I want to stash on a roster. I will play him when Vikings are at home against weak opponents. Real payoff is he becomes a potential stud if ADP goes down. And, umm, there's sorta been a history of that happening..

Chester Taylor is about as valuable as Larry Johnson the year Priest Holmes went down. That year, I kept drafting LJ in all my leagues around the 5th round.

I won my WCOFF satellite due to that move.

I have had two drafts so far this year and have drafted Chester Taylor in both around the 7th round. You evaluate players in rounds 1-4 based on expected value. You evalute players in rounds 5+ based on option value. Chester Taylor has very high option value.

Warriors Forever said:
Just trying to get a feel for what people think of Taylor. I drafted him late in my league for cheap and was thinking about shopping him to the ADP owner. Not sure if I want to as my depth is fairly thin and rests in the hands of possible sleepers. Thinking of offering him Taylor for Anthony Gonzalez, which I think is a pretty equal swap... where do you guys put him? I know a lot of his value depends on ADP's health, so assuming he stays healthy all season, where do you put him? What are your projections? Is 1000 total yards, 6 TDs, and 30 receptions too high? I could see him rushing for 800, 200 receiving, and scoring 6-7 times. I really ADP is overrated this year, I think he's a top 10 back, but not so much top 2 or 3 or even 5. Maybe not even top 10.
If you drafted him late and cheap........how much value do you think your ADP owner will give you since he could have drafted him anytime before that.Yes, if ADP is healthy all season long, 1000 rushing yards and 6 Td's is high for Chester Taylor.If you're in the camp that ADP is overrated, then keeping Chester Taylor is the right move? Why would you give up the guy who's in line to directly benefit for ADP's ineffectiveness or injury or whatever it is you must not like about ADP?

Chester Taylor is about as valuable as Larry Johnson the year Priest Holmes went down. That year, I kept drafting LJ in all my leagues around the 5th round.I won my WCOFF satellite due to that move. I have had two drafts so far this year and have drafted Chester Taylor in both around the 7th round. You evaluate players in rounds 1-4 based on expected value. You evalute players in rounds 5+ based on option value. Chester Taylor has very high option value.
I was a huge advocate that year with LJ, I can remember drafting LJ in the 4th round before Priest owners could get the handcuff I felt so strongly about it.I don't feel like this is the same situation though. Priest was a guy who was getting older and LJ was the young stud. This isn't the case here. Adrian Peterson is the young stud and he isn't going anywhere. Although Chester is a solid football player, you won't get your true value out of Chester unless Peterson is hurt for a decent amount of time during the season.

Warriors Forever said:
Kiddnets said:
I drafted him cheap as my #3 RB - think he will get his this year. Anyone know his contract status? Will he be a UFA next year?
I believe he's signed through 2010... 4 year deal in 2006
Was a 4 year deal in 2006. He'll be a UFA in 2010. He'll turn 31 in September 2010.

Chester Taylor is about as valuable as Larry Johnson the year Priest Holmes went down. That year, I kept drafting LJ in all my leagues around the 5th round.I won my WCOFF satellite due to that move. I have had two drafts so far this year and have drafted Chester Taylor in both around the 7th round. You evaluate players in rounds 1-4 based on expected value. You evalute players in rounds 5+ based on option value. Chester Taylor has very high option value.
I was a huge advocate that year with LJ, I can remember drafting LJ in the 4th round before Priest owners could get the handcuff I felt so strongly about it.I don't feel like this is the same situation though. Priest was a guy who was getting older and LJ was the young stud. This isn't the case here. Adrian Peterson is the young stud and he isn't going anywhere. Although Chester is a solid football player, you won't get your true value out of Chester unless Peterson is hurt for a decent amount of time during the season.
I'll agree that LJ was a different situation of an aging starter vs. younger backup. However, AP's injury history is somewhat compelling to me. His upright running style is just not conducive to making it through unscathed. And usually this happens right around the fantasy playoffs. Worth a 7th or 8th round flier IMO.

i drafted peterson #2, then took chester in the 7th round of a 12 team league recently. i PROBABLY could have waited another round or maybe two, but i knew the sick feeling i would have if someone scooped me so i was perfectly fine with burning a 7th on him. the guy who said it resembles the old priest-LJ is right on.

Warriors Forever said:
I am in a similar position. I was actually looking at offering CT to the ADP owner for Marvin Harrison. However, I think the upside it too high for CT that I may just have to hang onto him. I do think he is capable of being a decent bye week filler wih ADP starting. However if ADP were to go down, CT would move to a top tier RB1 instantly IMO. It's a tough call.

When AD goes down, we will talk. I tried to get him in all 3 leagues but twice he was drafted right before my pick. :(

When AD goes down he will be worth a top 10 pick. I drafted him and I don't even have AD. This guy is going to win a lot of people leagues this year.

Warriors Forever said:
Just trying to get a feel for what people think of Taylor. I drafted him late in my league for cheap and was thinking about shopping him to the ADP owner. Not sure if I want to as my depth is fairly thin and rests in the hands of possible sleepers. Thinking of offering him Taylor for Anthony Gonzalez, which I think is a pretty equal swap... where do you guys put him?

I know a lot of his value depends on ADP's health, so assuming he stays healthy all season, where do you put him? What are your projections?

Is 1000 total yards, 6 TDs, and 30 receptions too high?

I could see him rushing for 800, 200 receiving, and scoring 6-7 times. I really ADP is overrated this year, I think he's a top 10 back, but not so much top 2 or 3 or even 5. Maybe not even top 10.
If you drafted him late and cheap........how much value do you think your ADP owner will give you since he could have drafted him anytime before that.Yes, if ADP is healthy all season long, 1000 rushing yards and 6 Td's is high for Chester Taylor.

If you're in the camp that ADP is overrated, then keeping Chester Taylor is the right move? Why would you give up the guy who's in line to directly benefit for ADP's ineffectiveness or injury or whatever it is you must not like about ADP?
I have an auction league. I got Taylor late for $1. The guy with ADP spent $48 on Westbrook and $62 on ADP. He had $40 left. He spent $14 on Favre (He's an idiot if you haven't caught on by now, man crush on Favre and everyone knows it- bumping up the price). So he had $26 to spend on 6 more starting positions and 6 bench. No money to spend on Taylor when he needed 2 WRs, another flex, a TE, K, D as well as a decent bench. He couldn't afford to draft Taylor. Also, please read fully before replying, I said 1000 TOTAL yards from Taylor. Not 1000 rushing yards. I said about 800 rushing and 200 receiving. I don't think that's so far fetched. That's 300 total yards LESS than what he got this last season with ADP injured only 2 games, as well as 1 TD LESS than what he scored last season.

And I don't care if he benefits from a trade for Taylor. His team sucks so bad he is destined for last place anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
look at CT's numbers last yr. he put nice RB2 stats. for as cheap as he's going, he's almost a lock to outproduce his av. draft pos.

1. great line

2. AP is injury prone, so i see a RBBC skewed somewhat heavily toward AP, but CT will get his touches.

3. CT is a proven talent that would start on many teams.

4. if AP goes down, which is not unlikely, CT slides in and makes a great RB1.

i took him late in a couple drafts. prolly gonna stash him away and hope he helps me later in the season. maybe offer him to the AP owner just to see what i can get, not sure yet.

Has anyone on this thread ever looked at Chet's ypc when he sees 20 or more carries? I have, and its ugly. The guy is probably the best backup in the league, but isn't anywhere near the starter people seem to think he is.

The CT owner in my dynasty league has twice tried to essentially rape me to CT. He keeps trying to get me to trade Cotchery for some scrub in the deal to get him. I have AP and he has Grant (with Fred Taylor as his only starting backup) and he keeps coming up with offers where I would give him BJax plus Cotchery for someone like S. Moss or Burleson, just to get CT. I have Turner and Ronnie Brown as backups behind AP and McFadden. People need to realize that if they draft a handcuff hoping to deal him, they can only get the value that the team who has his handcuff is willing to give. I keep offering him (in counters) BJax for CT saying a straight RB handcuff swap makes sense, and that he is getting the younger back with starting potential. HE keeps coming back with nonsense about ADP and projections and some crap.

Suffice to say, CT is worth a lot more to his owners than the rest of the FF world, AP owners included.

Has anyone on this thread ever looked at Chet's ypc when he sees 20 or more carries? I have, and its ugly. The guy is probably the best backup in the league, but isn't anywhere near the starter people seem to think he is.The CT owner in my dynasty league has twice tried to essentially rape me to CT. He keeps trying to get me to trade Cotchery for some scrub in the deal to get him. I have AP and he has Grant (with Fred Taylor as his only starting backup) and he keeps coming up with offers where I would give him BJax plus Cotchery for someone like S. Moss or Burleson, just to get CT. I have Turner and Ronnie Brown as backups behind AP and McFadden. People need to realize that if they draft a handcuff hoping to deal him, they can only get the value that the team who has his handcuff is willing to give. I keep offering him (in counters) BJax for CT saying a straight RB handcuff swap makes sense, and that he is getting the younger back with starting potential. HE keeps coming back with nonsense about ADP and projections and some crap.Suffice to say, CT is worth a lot more to his owners than the rest of the FF world, AP owners included.
I don't agree. Every ADP owner wishes they had CT - don't kid yourself. While it's not LJ like, and the ages are reversed, there is no doubt that YPC or not that if the starter CT would be looking at 100 yards and a touch most games in that offense. It's a gamble. But it's one I am willing to take. Assuming league mates aren't donkeys, you need to roll the dice a few times in order to win the SB. Have the guys that are drafted where CT is being taken are going to be cut anyway in the first month of the season. I'd rather stash CT and see how ADP holds up, especially with those first 4 games of the season - pretty brutal if you ask me. BTW, I'm a big ADP fan, and I hope he stays healthy. Just playin' the odds.

Has anyone on this thread ever looked at Chet's ypc when he sees 20 or more carries? I have, and its ugly. The guy is probably the best backup in the league, but isn't anywhere near the starter people seem to think he is.The CT owner in my dynasty league has twice tried to essentially rape me to CT. He keeps trying to get me to trade Cotchery for some scrub in the deal to get him. I have AP and he has Grant (with Fred Taylor as his only starting backup) and he keeps coming up with offers where I would give him BJax plus Cotchery for someone like S. Moss or Burleson, just to get CT. I have Turner and Ronnie Brown as backups behind AP and McFadden. People need to realize that if they draft a handcuff hoping to deal him, they can only get the value that the team who has his handcuff is willing to give. I keep offering him (in counters) BJax for CT saying a straight RB handcuff swap makes sense, and that he is getting the younger back with starting potential. HE keeps coming back with nonsense about ADP and projections and some crap.Suffice to say, CT is worth a lot more to his owners than the rest of the FF world, AP owners included.
Burleson might outproduce Cotchery this season. Who else is catching the ball for the Seahawks? Remember this is a team that has passed for a league high 77% of all their scores over the past two seasons and have a highly suspect ground game.Aside from that I think Taylor has more value in the Vikings offense than BJackson has in the GB offense.You are undervaluing CT, particularly as the ADP owner in your league.

Warriors Forever said:
I am in a similar position. I was actually looking at offering CT to the ADP owner for Marvin Harrison. However, I think the upside it too high for CT that I may just have to hang onto him. I do think he is capable of being a decent bye week filler wih ADP starting. However if ADP were to go down, CT would move to a top tier RB1 instantly IMO. It's a tough call.
I have AD in two leagues. In one I have CT. If you offered me CT for Harrison I wouldnt even respond. I would prolly give Muhammed and thats about it. As one poster said Taylor is worth more to the "current" owner of CT than anyone else.

Warriors Forever said:
I have AD in two leagues. In one I have CT. If you offered me CT for Harrison I wouldnt even respond. I would prolly give Muhammed and thats about it. As one poster said Taylor is worth more to the "current" owner of CT than anyone else.
Unless of course ADP gets hurt. For the current CT owner an ADP injury would be a nice boost to the RB corps (presumably CT was not drafted as a #1 RB) to the ADP owner CT is the difference between remaining competitive or playing out the string.

Burleson might outproduce Cotchery this season. Who else is catching the ball for the Seahawks? Remember this is a team that has passed for a league high 77% of all their scores over the past two seasons and have a highly suspect ground game.Aside from that I think Taylor has more value in the Vikings offense than BJackson has in the GB offense.You are undervaluing CT, particularly as the ADP owner in your league.
Taylor owners? It's a dynasty league. Why would I give up on a young stud at wideout for an aging vet to get a handcuff that probably wouldn't start over my other two backups? If you cover yourself on starters as backups you don't need the cuffs as bad. That's why drafting someone else's handcuff is a risky strategy: the value is dependent on essentially one trade partner. No one else would pay half the price. I don't think this is comparable to Priest/LJ.

week 13,14 and 15 lets say the Vikings are in pretty good playoff position ....... Chester becomes GOLD to Fantasy Football teams because Vikings will rest ADP every chance they get

for that alone Chester is worth having IMO

BTW how many rushes/TD's yards do you think the Vikings will have this year ?

sholditch said:
Chaka said:
Taylor owners? It's a dynasty league. Why would I give up on a young stud at wideout for an aging vet to get a handcuff that probably wouldn't start over my other two backups? If you cover yourself on starters as backups you don't need the cuffs as bad. That's why drafting someone else's handcuff is a risky strategy: the value is dependent on essentially one trade partner. No one else would pay half the price. I don't think this is comparable to Priest/LJ.
Wow, I would trade BJax and Cotchery for Burleson and CT in a heart beat if I'm the ADP owner. You make out on top on both accounts. CT is way more valuable than Jackson, and Burleson will probably produce in the 10-15 range amongst WRs this season. Cotchery is playing second fiddle on his team. People need to get over the Favre Factor and realize that guy will not be a top 10 WR... ever... In a dynasty I acn see why you'd hesitate, but I assume you aren't resting your WR corps on the hands of Cotchery... I'd make that deal and run all the way to the finals

Taylor is the ultimate risk/reward, based on the health of ADP, and the picks bypassed in order to take Taylor, in hopes of hitting it big.

Just sat through a live draft where ADP went 1.02. At the 4/5 turn, while the owner with pick #1 was making his back to back picks, the owner of pick #3 told the ADP owner that if he has any hopes of handcuffing ADP with Taylor, he better do it now with the 5.03 pick, because Taylor wouldn't last until the 6.11 pick (essentially saying he would snag Taylor right before him at 6.10). The ADP owner buckled, and took Taylor earlier than hoped. Not sure if it was a bluff or not....we'll never know. Half the league thought it was dirty pool, the other half felt it was brilliant strategy.

Everyone in this thread keeps saying if ADP gets injured. Could someone tell me when the last time this kid played a full season? I don't think it's a matter of if he gets injured its a matter of when he gets injured.

Taylor is the ultimate risk/reward, based on the health of ADP, and the picks bypassed in order to take Taylor, in hopes of hitting it big.Just sat through a live draft where ADP went 1.02. At the 4/5 turn, while the owner with pick #1 was making his back to back picks, the owner of pick #3 told the ADP owner that if he has any hopes of handcuffing ADP with Taylor, he better do it now with the 5.03 pick, because Taylor wouldn't last until the 6.11 pick (essentially saying he would snag Taylor right before him at 6.10). The ADP owner buckled, and took Taylor earlier than hoped. Not sure if it was a bluff or not....we'll never know. Half the league thought it was dirty pool, the other half felt it was brilliant strategy.
My thought is this............If ADP was the ultimate in durability, his owner could have laughed at that and drafted CHris Perry or Mo Morris 6 rounds later. Its all about sticking to your own strategy; he should have known when he took him 1.2 that he would need the handcuff and that if he didnt get it, you just move on without a second thought, and draft another back that can fill in. One player does not win a championship, he should have played his cards better, let the other owner take Chester too high and let him sit with him. Of course, this is a special situation where Chester will be very good if ADP has an injury, but, whatever, you cant play scared.

i drafted peterson #2, then took chester in the 7th round of a 12 team league recently. i PROBABLY could have waited another round or maybe two, but i knew the sick feeling i would have if someone scooped me so i was perfectly fine with burning a 7th on him. the guy who said it resembles the old priest-LJ is right on.
Probably not. I got AP #3 and thought I could get taylor at 8. He got drafted at round 7. I thought was real high if you ask me, but knowing the guy that did it....it was probably to spite me.

I took him at 13.02 in a 12 team PPR draft as my 5th RB behind my keepers LT and LJ and Mendenhall and Perry. Pretty happy he lasted that long.

I took Taylor at 7.01, and passed on RB's like Ricky, Fred Taylor, Forte, Stewart and WR's like Chambers, Galloway, Ward, Coles. I'm in a league where we only have to start 1 RB (other RB spot is a flex). The AP owner is in my division and took him at 1.3. I figured the Vikings play Houston the week that LT is on bye, so he should at least have some standalone value that game. If you have LT then I think it's a good gamble to get Taylor because if AP goes down you have the SD and MIN running game locked down. Can it really get any better than LT as your RB1 and Taylor as your RB2?

And like someone else noted, there could be a good chance Taylor is the one on the field come playoff time if the Vikings lock up their seed.

sholditch said:
Chaka said:
Wow, I would trade BJax and Cotchery for Burleson and CT in a heart beat if I'm the ADP owner. You make out on top on both accounts. CT is way more valuable than Jackson, and Burleson will probably produce in the 10-15 range amongst WRs this season. Cotchery is playing second fiddle on his team. People need to get over the Favre Factor and realize that guy will not be a top 10 WR... ever... In a dynasty I acn see why you'd hesitate, but I assume you aren't resting your WR corps on the hands of Cotchery... I'd make that deal and run all the way to the finals
Bitter packer fan?????Jericho>>>>>>>>>>> Nate and it's not even close. I have CT in 1 league and would glady Give him and NB for JC.

sholditch said:
Chaka said:
Bitter packer fan?????Jericho>>>>>>>>>>> Nate and it's not even close. I have CT in 1 league and would glady Give him and NB for JC.
You both sound like you are homering up here.I believe Cotchery is a better athlete and WR but there is no denying that Burleson is the only game in Seattle so he is going to get his targets (and Branch's and Engram's and Obamanu's etc.) and they will most likely surpass Cotchery's targets, possibly by a wide margin (the Jets have more receiving options and a better ground game).Long term I hold onto Cotchery, this season Burleson has the opportunity to blow the doors off of Cotchery. The guy did score nine TDs on only 50 catches last season, Cotchery scored twice on 82 catches (only 8 TDs on 189 career receptions).It is not nearly as bad a trade as some people are making it out to be.

ADP owner in 2 dynasty leagues. been trying to get Taylor as a handcuff in both leagues. finally made a trade to get him in 1 league. I might of over paid not sure.

gave a first round rookie pick in 2009 for Taylor.

as long as I make the playoffs(good chance at this point of the season, based on how the league is shaping out), that pick will be 6 to 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread