What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (9 Viewers)

Bears will (should) take a RB in the draft. If there is one thing you can say about Poles is that he likes his value plays. If a RB is ever the top option on their board, I'm thinking the Bears take him. I'm thinking RD 3 is probably the earliest though.

@menobrown - how you drafting Gibbs if he’s a Bear, and what do you think the chances are they take him?
As much as I can say a team has a zero percent change of drafting a player I would say zero. That makes no sense to me.
I’ve seen several mock drafts with the bears taking him in the 2nd.
A lot of info on the web/twitter, key is knowing what is nonsense and not worth your time.
Like I said, I considered it and I think he’s a perfect fit there.

The Bears offense needs electric play making weapons. Gibbs would most certainly be that.

DHM, Gibbs, Mooney, Kmet is a much more dangerous top 4 target share than DJM, Mooney, Kmet, Claypool.

One man’s opinion. It’s not that crazy of a landing spot. Would make more sense than Bijan.
I've not been following this thread but I'm staying with zero, that's as much sense as it makes to me.
I don’t think they will either, but I’d love to see it.

@menobrown - how you drafting Gibbs if he’s a Bear, and what do you think the chances are they take him?
As much as I can say a team has a zero percent change of drafting a player I would say zero. That makes no sense to me.
I’ve seen several mock drafts with the bears taking him in the 2nd.
A lot of info on the web/twitter, key is knowing what is nonsense and not worth your time.
Like I said, I considered it and I think he’s a perfect fit there.

The Bears offense needs electric play making weapons. Gibbs would most certainly be that.

DHM, Gibbs, Mooney, Kmet is a much more dangerous top 4 target share than DJM, Mooney, Kmet, Claypool.

One man’s opinion. It’s not that crazy of a landing spot. Would make more sense than Bijan.
I've not been following this thread but I'm staying with zero, that's as much sense as it makes to me.
I don’t think they will either, but I’d love to see it.
I am not saying he's about a zero chance of landing in Chicago because I hate it, but I would in fact hate it, at least for Gibbs.

but I would in fact hate it, at least for Gibbs.
I know you’re very high on him.

I think it would be great for fields.
I am high on Gibbs and have considered him close to a lock for me at 1.2, a pick I traded for with drafting him in mind. He would not be a lock if he was drafted by the Bears.

He would help make life easier on Fields, that I agree with, but would say the same thing what I think he can do in a lot of offenses for a lot of QB's.

but I would in fact hate it, at least for Gibbs.
I know you’re very high on him.

I think it would be great for fields.
I am high on Gibbs and have considered him close to a lock for me at 1.2, a pick I traded for with drafting him in mind. He would not be a lock if he was drafted by the Bears.

He would help make life easier on Fields, that I agree with, but would say the same thing what I think he can do in a lot of offenses for a lot of QB's.
Yep - I agree with all of that. I said it in my first post about it. it would be bad for FF, but great for Fields/the Bears.

I’m not sure what I’d do if he landed on the Bears…none of the RBs there are on long time contracts, right?

Scary offense if they do something like this. Sorry to put that juju out there - I’ll hope along with you it doesn’t happen.

Sorry to put that juju out there - I’ll hope along with you it doesn’t happen.
I don't want to tie up this thread with Gibbs talk but fwiw there are places I'd hate a lot more and to be honest and some of that has to do with Gibbs and some of it with current RB's I already own. A lot of teams picking higher in round two, where I think he most likely will get drafted make me a little uneasy.

Carolina put together a respectable offseason. They have a pretty solid roster if you think Dalton can still play in this league. Definitely potential to win the South.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D

Carolina put together a respectable offseason. They have a pretty solid roster if you think Dalton can still play in this league. Definitely potential to win the South.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D
I mean, the South is wide open, but I'm have a really hard time seeing this as a good offseason. They should be better at QB by default, but Sanders is a downgrade from Foreman in my opinion (he's not taking the Eagles OL with him) and Thielen is clearly a downgrade from DJ Moore. Hurst is JAG (and again, how open can he get when he's not the #5 priority to stop?)

I'd agree that the OL is solid enough, and the defense is ok. I think it'll really come down to the #1 pick. If Dalton starts for most of the season, its hard to see them winning the South. If the #1 pick hits the ground running, they've got a shot by default. Right now, I'm leaning New Orleans.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D
The Panthers are signing players like they are Superbowl competitive because Tepper is getting antsy. Their DEF is pretty good and that group of vets they sign might get them 2 years of better than average play. Here's the thing: Dalton isn't a QB that can carry you to a Superbowl and they will be lucky if the QB they pick is competitive in year 3.

Bears signing Robert Tonyan, 1 year deal. I haven't seen an amount yet.

Here are the signings so far, ranked by my opinion of how good the player is (relative to other players at his position).

$18M/yr LB Tremaine Edmunds (4 years, $72M)
$6.5M/yr LB T.J. Edwards (3 years, $19.5M)
$10M/yr G Nate Davis (3 years, $30M)
$7M/yr DE/DT DeMarcus Walker (3 years, $21M)
$3.5M/yr DT/NT Andrew Billings (1 year, $3.5M)
?? TE Robert Tonyan (1 year)
$2.25M/yr RB/ST Travis Homer (2 years, up to $4.5M)
$2.5M/yr QB P.J. Walker (2 years, up to $5M)

Everyone from Billings up is a solid starter or better, IMO, and Edwards & Billings are the best deals for the money.

Updating the bottom portion of this list to add the Foreman signing, and contract info now available for Tonyan, Homer, and Walker:

$3M/yr RB D'Onta Foreman (1 year, $3M)
$2.65M/yr TE Robert Tonyan (1 year, $2.65M)
$1.95M/yr RB/ST Travis Homer (2 years, $3.9M)
$2.08M/yr QB P.J. Walker (2 years, $4.15M)

I expect Foreman to compete with Herbert for the RB workload. Either of them could wind up with twice as many snaps as the other gets, or anything in between.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D
I mean, the South is wide open, but I'm have a really hard time seeing this as a good offseason. They should be better at QB by default, but Sanders is a downgrade from Foreman in my opinion (he's not taking the Eagles OL with him) and Thielen is clearly a downgrade from DJ Moore. Hurst is JAG (and again, how open can he get when he's not the #5 priority to stop?)

I'd agree that the OL is solid enough, and the defense is ok. I think it'll really come down to the #1 pick. If Dalton starts for most of the season, its hard to see them winning the South. If the #1 pick hits the ground running, they've got a shot by default. Right now, I'm leaning New Orleans.
Panthers have hinted that the #1 pick will be the starter sooner vs later. Dalton was signed in case the #1 pick isn't ready to start the season. I personally think Dalton gets a couple games to start the season and gets yanked after his first bad outing.

As much as I'd love the Panthers pick to be in the top 10, I think they are looking like a middle of the road team for 2023.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D
The Panthers are signing players like they are Superbowl competitive because Tepper is getting antsy. Their DEF is pretty good and that group of vets they sign might get them 2 years of better than average play. Here's the thing: Dalton isn't a QB that can carry you to a Superbowl and they will be lucky if the QB they pick is competitive in year 3.
I'm only worried about how they finish for the next couple of years. I think they spent the money to have some temporary pieces around the #1 pick. This team isn't a contender

I don't think another RB in the draft is out of the question. I'd love for them to grab a speed back.

The biggest hole in skill position players looks to be WR4. St. Brown and Jones are fine for 5-6, but if one of the starters goes down, I want someone better than St. Brown to fill in. I have to think there are a couple mid-round WRs Poles likes in the draft. The FA market still has plenty of plug and play vets if we strike out on WR during the draft.

Disappointed to see both Hardman and Hollins get signed this week. I'm guessing there are a couple WRs the Bears are considering in the draft. Rumors that the Bears brought in Smith-Njigba for an official visit. Other WR visits... Rachee Rice and Dantayvion Wicks

Eberflus was at Ohio State's Pro day today and Paris Johnson looked great. I'm thinking he will be the pick if Carter and Tyree Wilson are gone.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D

Panthers have hinted that the #1 pick will be the starter sooner vs later. Dalton was signed in case the #1 pick isn't ready to start the season. I personally think Dalton gets a couple games to start the season and gets yanked after his first bad outing.

As much as I'd love the Panthers pick to be in the top 10, I think they are looking like a middle of the road team for 2023.
The panthers roster and a rookie qb is a middle of the road team?

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D

I think they will be. Panthers won 7 games last year. Would have been 8 if not for the D.J. Moore penalty game. New HC should be a net positive. Dalton and a Rookie are probably an upgrade over Mayfield/Darnald/Walker. Losing Moore hurts, but they picked up some solid FAs. They will probably spend pick 39 on a WR.

Plus the Bucs lost Brady and Atlanta hasn't addressed their QB situation. They might get 4+ wins from their division alone.

Dalton
Sanders
Thielen
Hurst
Decent OL
Decent D

I think they will be. Panthers won 7 games last year. Would have been 8 if not for the D.J. Moore penalty game. New HC should be a net positive. Dalton and a Rookie are probably an upgrade over Mayfield/Darnald/Walker. Losing Moore hurts, but they picked up some solid FAs. They will probably spend pick 39 on a WR.

Plus the Bucs lost Brady and Atlanta hasn't addressed their QB situation. They might get 4+ wins from their division alone.
Seems pretty optimistic for that team but anything is possible.

Mike Clay's unit grades for every team's roster.

He has the Bears as great at LB, averageish at QB, OL, WR, S, and TE, and bad at CB, EDGE, DT, and RB. 22nd overall, 16th on offense, 29th on defense.

That's close to my impression - I would've expected them to rate a little better at S and RB and a little worse at OL.

I'd say the Bears are only BAD at EDGE and DT. OL isn't great, but they are young and hopefully will take the next step this year.

Everything else is Average though. I think the LB grade is too high without this unit ever playing a snap together and little depth.

They're also in bad shape at CB. Jaylon Johnson has been an adequate starter, everyone else has been pretty bad. If they're putting some combination of Kyler Gordon, Kindle Vildor, and Jaylon Jones out there with Johnson again this year then that's one of the worst CB groups in the league, unless there is significant improvement from Gordon or someone else.

The Bears on Thursday signed veteran defensive end Rasheem Green to a one-year contract

Green, 25, spent his first five NFL seasons with the Seahawks (2018-21) and Texans (2022). The 6-4, 279-pounder has appeared in 69 games with 29 starts, recording 136 tackles, 17 tackles-for-loss, 17.0 sacks, three fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and eight pass breakups
Green was selected by Seattle in the third round of the 2018 draft out of USC. His most productive NFL season was in 2021 when he registered career highs with 17 games played, 16 starts, 48 tackles, six tackles-for-loss, 6.5 sacks and eight pass breakups.

The Bears on Thursday signed veteran defensive end Rasheem Green to a one-year contract

Green, 25, spent his first five NFL seasons with the Seahawks (2018-21) and Texans (2022). The 6-4, 279-pounder has appeared in 69 games with 29 starts, recording 136 tackles, 17 tackles-for-loss, 17.0 sacks, three fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and eight pass breakups
Green was selected by Seattle in the third round of the 2018 draft out of USC. His most productive NFL season was in 2021 when he registered career highs with 17 games played, 16 starts, 48 tackles, six tackles-for-loss, 6.5 sacks and eight pass breakups.
Decent depth signing. I think this paves the way for Poles to take an OT with pick #9. As much as I'd like to have JSN on the team, it isn't as much of a position of need as Tackle.

Decent depth signing. I think this paves the way for Poles to take an OT with pick #9. As much as I'd like to have JSN on the team, it isn't as much of a position of need as Tackle.
Agreed, he can play multiple spots on the DL and played in a similar system last year with ok production on a bad team. I like that we now have several pieces who can move around on the line. Still keeps the BPA mentality open for the draft.

These weeks before the draft are always the longest. At this point I just want to know which direction we're going.

I don't think the Bears can screw up the first rd pick too bad here. Skoronski is my least favorite prospect at 9, but I could understand the pick. OT or DL make a ton of sense. A strong case could even be made for getting the pick of litter for skill positions WR/RB/TE.

I think its highly likely 4 QBs are off the board by 9. If not, Maybe 9 becomes a valuable spot to move down from. I really don't want to move down past the Commanders pick at 16 if I had my choice. At 16 there should still be OT/DL/CB talent comparable to what was available at 9.

Last edited:
IMO the Bears could easily go for any of the premium non-QB positions at pick 9: WR, pass rusher (EDGE or DT), CB, or OT. They could use the talent at any of those positions, and there are players at all of the positions who are rated right around there. EDGE, DT, OT, CB are all weaknesses on this roster, and WR is worth looking at if you want to prioritize getting Fields weapons, or you're thinking more than a year ahead with Mooney & Claypool both going into the last year of their rookie deals, or if you want to reunite Fields with a college teammate (though JSN was buried on the depth chart behind 3 other first rounders during the one year they overlapped).

They also could trade down, which would make other positions more reasonable options too.

According to a "Bears insider" when asked about who the bears will take at #9, said the plan is not to draft at the #9 spot.

If this is the thinking, it seems like best case scenario is for Levis/Richardson or Carter to slip to #9 to maximize the value there and grab another early pick this year or next. I still love the value in the 16/17 range (Wash/Pit picks).

I don't want Jalen Carter anywhere near the Bears. Someone can take on that drama.
Do you still feel this way? I will leave it to the Bears to do the full assessment, but talent wise, I wouldn't be opposed to the Bears taking him at 9. After getting More in the trade with Carolina, it's almost like playing with house money. With first first overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select DJ Moore... and Jalen Carter... and a 2024 first round pick... and a 2023 second round pick... and...

resigned Pettis to compete with Jones for the return/6th WR slot. Good chance the loser of that competition is a camp cut.

If the Bears stay at 9, I'm hoping for Jalen Carter, Christian Gonzalez, or Devon Witherspoon. Not because I especially want to see them go defense, just because I think that those guys are more talented than the offensive tackles or anyone else at a premium position who has a reasonable chance to be there.

Bears draft rumor articles and podcasts have jumped the shark for me. Everyday there is a new rumor, scenario or interest in a draft prospect.

The one constant is the desire to trade down again, which I think is the most likely option.

I think the Bears need more ammo to move up in the second round. Too many good prospects in the 30-50 range of this draft for them to sit back and hope players fall to end of the 2nd/early third.

Bears draft rumor articles and podcasts have jumped the shark for me. Everyday there is a new rumor, scenario or interest in a draft prospect.

The one constant is the desire to trade down again, which I think is the most likely option.

I think the Bears need more ammo to move up in the second round. Too many good prospects in the 30-50 range of this draft for them to sit back and hope players fall to end of the 2nd/early third.
Amen on both accounts. I've gotten to the point that I just scroll past the Bears articles this time of year. Speculation and hot takes are just out of control. And you're right, trading down to the middle first and picking up a solid 2nd as well CAN really help propel this team into one heading toward contention instead of one floundering and wasting the best years of some good talent.

If jalen Carter is sitting there at 9, I'd like the Bears to roll the dice on him, unless they can get a king's ransom to trade down again. It wasn't long ago that he was being touted as the best prospect in the entire draft and to trade down, get a few picks, a WR1, and still get him would be a steal. If he's not there, I'd like for them to trade down a few spots and get the best O lineman available. Supposedly D line is deep this year and we can address that need in the 2nd round.

If jalen Carter is sitting there at 9, I'd like the Bears to roll the dice on him, unless they can get a king's ransom to trade down again. It wasn't long ago that he was being touted as the best prospect in the entire draft and to trade down, get a few picks, a WR1, and still get him would be a steal. If he's not there, I'd like for them to trade down a few spots and get the best O lineman available. Supposedly D line is deep this year and we can address that need in the 2nd round.
I posted in the Carter Thread a few weeks back that I was indifferent on taking Carter at 9. Early in the process I was pumped about the idea of getting Carter and focused on him while watching the Georgia games. He was disruptive, but I wasn't blown away watching him play. Of course I'm not a scout, so I deferred to their opinions and was willing to tune out his negatives because there was consensus that he was a top prospect.

Add on his driving issue and poor pro day, I just don't know about the kid. However, Ryan Poles is doing his homework on Carter and as of now I trust Poles' judgement, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if we do pick Carter at 9. This pick (or trade back) at 9 is going to be one of his most notable acquisitions during his Bears GM career.

Poles has also recently said something along the lines of that this team isn't one player away from a championship. They want to bring in good locker room guys with a passion for the game. Reading between the lines that says to me that talent isn't going to outweigh character.

I posted in the Carter Thread a few weeks back that I was indifferent on taking Carter at 9. Early in the process I was pumped about the idea of getting Carter and focused on him while watching the Georgia games. He was disruptive, but I wasn't blown away watching him play. Of course I'm not a scout, so I deferred to their opinions and was willing to tune out his negatives because there was consensus that he was a top prospect.

Add on his driving issue and poor pro day, I just don't know about the kid. However, Ryan Poles is doing his homework on Carter and as of now I trust Poles' judgement, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if we do pick Carter at 9. This pick (or trade back) at 9 is going to be one of his most notable acquisitions during his Bears GM career.

Poles has also recently said something along the lines of that this team isn't one player away from a championship. They want to bring in good locker room guys with a passion for the game. Reading between the lines that says to me that talent isn't going to outweigh character.
Our best case scenario right now is for either Carter or one of the QBs to drop to 9 and move back a bit more IMO. Take Van Ness, their best OL or a CB.
Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Washington, TB could all try to move up.

Our best case scenario right now is for either Carter or one of the QBs to drop to 9 and move back a bit more IMO. Take Van Ness, their best OL or a CB.
Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Washington, TB could all try to move up.
I'm cool with that, although I have soured a bit on Van Ness.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/

Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham says team will take best player available in NFL draft​

Story by Alyssa Barbieri • 5h ago

It’s no secret that the Chicago Bears have a number of needs to address in the 2023 NFL draft, most notably in the trenches at defensive tackle, edge rusher and offensive tackle.

But general manager Ryan Poles has indicated in the past that the Bears aren’t going to let positional need get in the way of taking the best option available. Just look at free agency with linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and T.J. Edwards.

Assistant GM Ian Cunningham indicated as much during a pre-draft press conference on Tuesday, where he said Chicago’s approach remains one where they’re focused on landing the “best player available.”

“I think that’s what we always do is try to take that best player available approach,” Cunningham said. “I think the whole needs thing… those needs kind of get ironed out with the whole process, but ultimately it’s the best player available.”

Cunningham said positional need will come more into play on the third day of the draft, where the Bears have six selections.

While many expect offensive tackle to be the move at No. 9, if top options at their biggest needs are off the board, positions like cornerback, wide receiver and running back could be on the table.

Cunningham said there are six to eight players that Chicago has tabbed as options at that ninth spot.

If they are serious about best football player available regardless of position, Bijan and JSN have to be the front runners. I wouldn't hate either of those picks if we can't move down.

I am baffled by comment about positional need comes into play more day 3 of the draft. Those are long shot / special team players.

Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham says team will take best player available in NFL draft​

It’s no secret that the Chicago Bears have a number of needs to address in the 2023 NFL draft, most notably in the trenches at defensive tackle, edge rusher and offensive tackle.

But general manager Ryan Poles has indicated in the past that the Bears aren’t going to let positional need get in the way of taking the best option available. Just look at free agency with linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and T.J. Edwards.

Assistant GM Ian Cunningham indicated as much during a pre-draft press conference on Tuesday, where he said Chicago’s approach remains one where they’re focused on landing the “best player available.”

“I think that’s what we always do is try to take that best player available approach,” Cunningham said. “I think the whole needs thing… those needs kind of get ironed out with the whole process, but ultimately it’s the best player available.”

Cunningham said positional need will come more into play on the third day of the draft, where the Bears have six selections.

While many expect offensive tackle to be the move at No. 9, if top options at their biggest needs are off the board, positions like cornerback, wide receiver and running back could be on the table.

Cunningham said there are six to eight players that Chicago has tabbed as options at that ninth spot.

If they are serious about best football player available regardless of position, Bijan and JSN have to be the front runners. I wouldn't hate either of those picks if we can't move down.

I am baffled by comment about positional need comes into play more day 3 of the draft. Those are long shot / special team players.
I think he meant more as needs for depth on day 3.

I'm pretty much good with any scenario that doesn't have them taking an OT at #9. I think OL is a strength of the team right now. Jones-Davis-Whitehair-Jenkins-Borom is a solid mostly young OL. Probably in the 10-15 range in the NFL. I could maybe get on board with Skoronski due to his NFL readiness and versatility, but don't have any interest in any of the other top OL guys without a trade down. JSN would be an interesting pick, suddenly Claypool/Mooney are splitting the #3 job, but that probably isn't where they are looking without a trade down.

Last edited:

I just can't wrap my head around taking either bijan or jsn at #9 with the huge amount of needs on the team. This draft is pivotal in the development cycle of Fields. If he flatlines this year, then we are likely starting over in 2024. If he excels, then we want to be in a position to compete in 2024 and 2025 while he is still in a rookie deal. I just don't see either player elevating the TEAM to that point given all the glaring holes in the Defense and a mediocre OL.

Users who are viewing this thread