What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (8 Viewers)

The current moves we are seeing from the Bears seem to point to the same tried and true Bear’s strategy - prioritizing defense and the running game. The next chapter is obviously top first round picks. Im very skeptical that the Bears can make the shark move for the major value adds.

Frankly, if Williams is the prodigious franchise QB does he really want to come to Chicago? Can the current coaching staff facilitate a jump to the pro level for Williams given the train wreck of how Fields was “developed”? What about this year’s draft capital- is it enough? Picks are limited after first round so value reduces significantly. All this is pointing to trade down on pick 1 or 9. I believe Poles is stressing a long term patient strategy. I am tempering expectations for 2024 and project that the Bears can make bigger impacts by 2025 if they don’t blow this draft
There are still dominoes to fall - Keenan Allen and/or Mike Williams is likely to hit the open market today. Poles is clearly saving cap space for something...or let's hope so at least.

Last edited:
The current moves we are seeing from the Bears seem to point to the same tried and true Bear’s strategy - prioritizing defense and the running game. The next chapter is obviously top first round picks. Im very skeptical that the Bears can make the shark move for the major value adds.

Frankly, if Williams is the prodigious franchise QB does he really want to come to Chicago? Can the current coaching staff facilitate a jump to the pro level for Williams given the train wreck of how Fields was “developed”? What about this year’s draft capital- is it enough? Picks are limited after first round so value reduces significantly. All this is pointing to trade down on pick 1 or 9. I believe Poles is stressing a long term patient strategy. I am tempering expectations for 2024 and project that the Bears can make bigger impacts by 2025 if they don’t blow this draft
My gut feeling is that there is no way Williams wants to play for the Bears. He may be saying the right things publicly so far, but my guess is that he somehow forces the Bears to either trade the pick or take another QB #1. Poles will then try to convince the fans that it was "their guy" all along. I'm not even sure Williams is a legit sure thing, I just get the vibes he doesn't want to be a Bear and I don't blame him. Odds for success are stacked against him here.

I'm not sure what they've done so far makes the D any better than last year. Byard on paper should be an upgrade from Jackson, but he wasn't exactly great in Philly last year.

Swift seems like a weird fit to me. Really should've just made Montgomery a better offer to stay instead of paying similar money to a smallish, speed back who now will run on grass.

The biggest problem for the Bears, as seen so far in free agency, is this isn't a team that good players are clamoring to go to. Even Montgomery supposedly took the similar money from DET instead of signing with the Bears last year. The Bears need to show the NFL that they have a good coaching staff in place and a system to win. Not sure how long that takes or if this current staff will develop into that, but right now they are a poor to middling team in a improving division. Best case they will be battling for 3rd place.

Really can't believe we haven't added a body to our wr room yet.
They might be looking at pick 9 to land a top WR. That could be bigtime. Now the kicker is as Rome and Nabers rise up the boards they might have to trade up a few spots to get one of those guys. I think it would be 100% worth it in this case to get one of those guys.

I'll mention this more in my next post but I just don't think the Bears front office is smart enough to sort through all this as they have fumbled the Fields situation currently.

They might be looking at pick 9 to land a top WR. That could be bigtime. Now the kicker is as Rome and Nabers rise up the boards they might have to trade up a few spots to get one of those guys. I think it would be 100% worth it in this case to get one of those guys.

I'll mention this more in my next post but I just don't think the Bears front office is smart enough to sort through all this as they have fumbled the Fields situation currently.
Agreed. There's no reason to believe the Bears can grow a young qb and build around him. There's some people in this thread that could do a better job at building an offense to support a young QB. Definitely couldn't do any worse than the Bears have and they get paid millions to fail continually.

My gut feeling is that there is no way Williams wants to play for the Bears. He may be saying the right things publicly so far, but my guess is that he somehow forces the Bears to either trade the pick or take another QB #1. Poles will then try to convince the fans that it was "their guy" all along. I'm not even sure Williams is a legit sure thing, I just get the vibes he doesn't want to be a Bear and I don't blame him. Odds for success are stacked against him here.

I'm not sure what they've done so far makes the D any better than last year. Byard on paper should be an upgrade from Jackson, but he wasn't exactly great in Philly last year.

Swift seems like a weird fit to me. Really should've just made Montgomery a better offer to stay instead of paying similar money to a smallish, speed back who now will run on grass.

The biggest problem for the Bears, as seen so far in free agency, is this isn't a team that good players are clamoring to go to. Even Montgomery supposedly took the similar money from DET instead of signing with the Bears last year. The Bears need to show the NFL that they have a good coaching staff in place and a system to win. Not sure how long that takes or if this current staff will develop into that, but right now they are a poor to middling team in a improving division. Best case they will be battling for 3rd place.
I think you nailed this. My gut feeling says the bears a dumpster fire. Caleb probably is thinking "please trade the pick, PLEASE!". Their coaches and offensive play calling last year was bad and didn't help Fields out at all. Fields seems like a legit good guy who is working hard and trying his best. One of those guys you want to root for but the coaches just couldn't get out of their own way to help Fields be successful.

I just don't see how they are going to help Caleb unless they somehow figure it all out this offseason and change how they operate.

Your Monty analysis is spot on, they Bears bring in Swift when they should have just kept Monty. I'm actually happy Monty got out of there and is on a true team now where they value their players and have an amazing culture. Couldn't be more opposite than the Bears last year.

Something just isn't right with the Bears and maybe it is a bit of everything - front office, coaches, schemes, culture etc. Bringing in Caleb isn't going to fix this. Yes he very well may be a better QB in the end but I'm not sure he's mentally there to handle this mess right now.

Caleb going into this mess is not a good fit for him and it could get ugly if the fail bigtime in year 1. If it fails they fire their coaches, and have to start over with a new system/coaches for Caleb and he basically lost a year.

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
With free agency rolling, there wasn't a single GM at Oregon QB Bo Nix's Pro Day, and just one head coach—Bears coach Matt Eberflus, who led a sizable Chicago contingent.
3:22 PM · Mar 12, 2024

At first I wrote something crazy, but now I am just hoping they were there to get eyeballs on Troy Franklin.
Perhaps JPJ?
Getting the top center in the draft would be awesome, but this means we have to trade back from #9.

JPJ is going to go between picks 20-40 and we have no picks in that range. Probably have to take him early to mid 20s if they "need" him.

Trading a 4th for Mike Williams works for me too. Maybe the other mid-round pick we get in a trade back can be used for a decent #3 WR prospect.

The problem is that there are two (2) WRs on contract right now. We need warm bodies, hopefully better than the guys we usually sign for that WR3, WR4 and WR5 spots. I like ESB as much as the next guy, but he's not going to be a factor in the passing game.

Everything is pointing to first pick trade down. The ROI will yield better value. This means they are rolling the dice on Fields and retaining draft capital. Cannot take a risk on a potential franchise QB again w so much risk on the coaching staff. Are the fans willing to be patient on Williams w gaps on the IOL and no proven playmaker behind DJ and Kmet? Williams proved to be erratic w missing pieces last year. If Washington and NE believe the Bears are stuck w Fields are they willing to trade two years of draft capital to move up? That should signal a trade down is coming and if a partner does not materialize there is going to be a compromise coming for fans. I think Poles might be going w youth on filling the holes so draft. If they try to roll plug and play w too many vets its going to be dicey
Has to be addressed in the draft. Its hard to pass on top 3 WR w two top 9 first rounders

The problem is that there are two (2) WRs on contract right now. We need warm bodies, hopefully better than the guys we usually sign for that WR3, WR4 and WR5 spots. I like ESB as much as the next guy, but he's not going to be a factor in the passing game.
Looks like Hunter Renfrow will be available. Not sure what happened to him with the Raiders but he's a very solid WR who can come up big on third downs and work the short to mid-range stuff and do the dirty work. Very good route runner and has a bit of grit to his game.

I think you nailed this. My gut feeling says the bears a dumpster fire. Caleb probably is thinking "please trade the pick, PLEASE!". Their coaches and offensive play calling last year was bad and didn't help Fields out at all. Fields seems like a legit good guy who is working hard and trying his best. One of those guys you want to root for but the coaches just couldn't get out of their own way to help Fields be successful.

I just don't see how they are going to help Caleb unless they somehow figure it all out this offseason and change how they operate.

Your Monty analysis is spot on, they Bears bring in Swift when they should have just kept Monty. I'm actually happy Monty got out of there and is on a true team now where they value their players and have an amazing culture. Couldn't be more opposite than the Bears last year.

Something just isn't right with the Bears and maybe it is a bit of everything - front office, coaches, schemes, culture etc. Bringing in Caleb isn't going to fix this. Yes he very well may be a better QB in the end but I'm not sure he's mentally there to handle this mess right now.

Caleb going into this mess is not a good fit for him and it could get ugly if the fail bigtime in year 1. If it fails they fire their coaches, and have to start over with a new system/coaches for Caleb and he basically lost a year.
That something unfortunately is the ownership. I think they meddle too much. Virginia comes from the run the ball play defense 1950s era. It just feels like they went into an appeasement mode w Fields and the fans in a half hearted attempt to bring in a real modern day franchise QB than played wash, rinse, repeat w coaches that are cost effective resulting in losing bad. Sadly the turnstyles spin and sellouts at Soldier Field are the one true constant

We need more than a rookie. I don't care how high a pick they are, they're never a sure thing. I don't understand how some people think Odunze or Nabers are going to save the day. Top ten wrs fail all the time.

We have nothing to give to move up in the top ten. That's not an option.

Everything is pointing to first pick trade down. The ROI will yield better value. This means they are rolling the dice on Fields and retaining draft capital. Cannot take a risk on a potential franchise QB again w so much risk on the coaching staff. Are the fans willing to be patient on Williams w gaps on the IOL and no proven playmaker behind DJ and Kmet? Williams proved to be erratic w missing pieces last year. If Washington and NE believe the Bears are stuck w Fields are they willing to trade two years of draft capital to move up? That should signal a trade down is coming and if a partner does not materialize there is going to be a compromise coming for fans. I think Poles might be going w youth on filling the holes so draft. If they try to roll plug and play w too many vets its going to be dicey
Has to be addressed in the draft. Its hard to pass on top 3 WR w two top 9 first rounders
With all due respect, free agency hasn't even come close to concluding yet. Quality WR pieces like Renfrow, Allen/Williams, and more are coming available as cuts come in.

With all due respect, free agency hasn't even come close to concluding yet. Quality WR pieces like Renfrow, Allen/Williams, and more are coming available as cuts come in.
Mike Williams could be a very good option if he doesn't expect top dollar. Hollywood Brown (in the right spot) could be a really good pick up. He was injured last year and could come at a bit of a cheaper price.

Appreciate your response. Exciting times for sure. Everything comes w risk. Allen w DJ would be interesting but at what cost? We all know Allen and Williams have long history of injuries but that’s the NFL. Renfroe had that huge year I want to say 2021? If they go this route they end up w potential Chargers receiving stable or close to it assuming Everett and Williams/ Allen. Have to be careful there. I am partial to line builds and still inclined to lean towards top 3 WRs in the draft. Get this done correctly and chances of winning increase.

Mike Williams was released so he can be had for cheap. The question is would you rather sign one of the available FA WRs or a rookie in the first round (either/or). If a FA veteran, which one?

Mike Williams was released so he can be had for cheap. The question is would you rather sign one of the available FA WRs or a rookie in the first round (either/or). If a FA veteran, which one?
I think the Bears NEED to come out of FA with a WR3 caliber player. I'd like a player who could be a WR2 or WR3.

That leaves Brown, Williams and Ridley. I think Tyler Boyd or Curtis Samuel could fill subpar WR2 roles.

If the Bears don't get one of the 5 listed, I think they HAVE TO go WR in rd1. A WR in rd1 or two should still be prioritized even if they get someone above as well.

I think the Bears NEED to come out of FA with a WR3 caliber player. I'd like a player who could be a WR2 or WR3.

That leaves Brown, Williams and Ridley. I think Tyler Boyd or Curtis Samuel could fill subpar WR2 roles.

If the Bears don't get one of the 5 listed, I think they HAVE TO go WR in rd1. A WR in rd1 or two should still be prioritized even if they get someone above as well.
Williams and Ridley are the only 2 I'd want. I think Hollywood is thoroughly overrated (not all the different a player than Mooney) and I think Samuel and especially Boyd are more WR3 than WR2 guys. Rather take a flier on M. Thomas or OBJ and hope they can stay healthy, then sign someone with talent limitations, which I guess is part of why I like M. Williams as a potential signing.

Trading down makes a lot of sense if they want a WR in the draft.

Bears have agreed to terms with former Rams and Broncos QB Brett Rypien on a one-year contract.
Older, less talented Tyler Bagent. I'd be shocked if he made the roster.

Williams and Ridley are the only 2 I'd want. I think Hollywood is thoroughly overrated (not all the different a player than Mooney) and I think Samuel and especially Boyd are more WR3 than WR2 guys. Rather take a flier on M. Thomas or OBJ and hope they can stay healthy, then sign someone with talent limitations, which I guess is part of why I like M. Williams as a potential signing.

Bears have agreed to terms with former Rams and Broncos QB Brett Rypien on a one-year contract.
Thomas or OBJ worry me because they are both big personalities on the downside of their careers. Both seem the type to get annoyed playing with a rookie QB.

Bears need to just spend some money on their glaring holes.

Thomas or OBJ worry me because they are both big personalities on the downside of their careers. Both seem the type to get annoyed playing with a rookie QB.

Bears need to just spend some money on their glaring holes.
I don't love either guy, I just like them more than Tyler Boyd because at least there is some upside, and they'll be a lot cheaper (in theory) than someone like Hollywood. Williams would be my #1 choice, even over Ridley. I do love the draft class though and would be thrilled to trade down and still get Thomas or McConkey, or even Mitchell. Ideally Odunze is there at #9 but that's seeming increasingly unlikely, especially if the top-3 aren't all QBs.

Ridley probably best one there. Had a boom bust season last year. He seems like good value when a number one draws attention. Looks like Patriots all in on trying to sign him.

Ridley probably best one there. Had a boom bust season last year. He seems like good value when a number one draws attention. Looks like Patriots all in on trying to sign him.
The Titans just paid 50 million guaranteed on a 4/92 deal for Ridley. I think that means that the Bears are now third in available cap space with 57 Million. What are they saving it for? Really surprised they haven't landed a single big, or even decent-sized, fish.

The Titans just paid 50 million guaranteed on a 4/92 deal for Ridley. I think that means that the Bears are now third in available cap space with 57 Million. What are they saving it for? Really surprised they haven't landed a single big, or even decent-sized, fish.
Yes it’s interesting they are holding their coin after the fans were told that being under cap was a big win. Wagner just went to Washington on a 1 year deal

That's a huge overpay. No thanks.

By looking at this WR room, Marvin Jr. is looking plausible at #1 unless they have something working with Higgins.
Im in minority here but I would be all in on Harrison Jr. The pieces would be interesting on offense w DJ Harrison Kmet Swift plus whatever they do at 9. Fun to dream but my favorite headache is this QB conundrum and 38 years of not lifting the Lombardi

That's a huge overpay. No thanks.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the Bears should have paid that for Ridley. I meant to highlight that we have significant money remaining, relative to the rest of the league. At some point, you have to spend it. I wouldn't want to overpay for Ridley but, at this point, I wish that they had overpaid for Wilkins or Hunter. Maybe there is still a difference maker out there?

By looking at this WR room, Marvin Jr. is looking plausible at #1 unless they have something working with Higgins.
Im in minority here but I would be all in on Harrison Jr. The pieces would be interesting on offense w DJ Harrison Kmet Swift plus whatever they do at 9. Fun to dream but my favorite headache is this QB conundrum and 38 years of not lifting the Lombardi
If they take MHJ at #1 I might have to resign my fandom. If they trade back a bit and grab him, I'd be displeased, but still a fan, as long as they grab a QB at #9. Maybe Williams isn't the guy, but I've been watching the Bears since 1983 (6 years old) and I'm ready to have a quarterback that I can believe in. They need to get this position figured out for real.

Don't forget about Jenkins. If he can stay healthy, he's a solid guard and will be looking at an extension at some point.

I wouldn't mind Josh Reynolds at WR3 and then grab one at 9

Im in minority here but I would be all in on Harrison Jr.
Trade down to 2 or 3 and grab Marvin would be my preference and I'm not even a Fields fan. DJ Moore had a career year with Fields, and started kinda slow. Fields had some gaudy numbers at OSU and helped Olave and Wilson become first round picks. Could be worse situations than taking Marvin Jr and seeing what Fields can do on a prove it year. If Fields flops with talent like Harrison and Moore, he's gone and would mean the Bears will have a high pick again.

I took an afternoon nap and woke up with an idea. I've read several articles like this. And I confess I like Fields more than most. Imagine keeping him, taking Harrison first and coming back with Odunze. Or possibly trade that 1st overall and come out of this with Nabers, Odunze and one of these beast OLs that will be available late 1st early 2nd? Or maybe Harrison or Nabers and Alt or Fashanu and one of these top receivers that will be available in the 2nd? Throw Bowers in there too.

Your Bears are in an amazing and complicated situation. Blessed that this draft is very deep at WR, OL, CB, and QB. The players seem fairly unanimous in wanting Justin back. The fan base is so onboard with him, it's in part responsible for much of the bogus anti-Caleb stuff. Somewhere I read a player saying the locker room would be fired up for Justin if he stayed. That's nothing to ignore imo. I always say the time to fire a coach is when he loses the locker room, and keep a struggling coach who has full support of the players. It's apples and oranges, but your Bears were a tough out late in the season. Justin was looking better.

Sunday Gravy can't believe they haven't added to the wr room? How about two of Harrison, Nabers and Odunze?

Can you really justify using #1 and #9 on two WRs though, especially when one of them at best will be your #3 WR, and Fields is your QB?
I mean, I'd just call that a bad use of resources.

If I was a Bears fan and they wanted to keep Fields and trade off of #1 I wouldn't hate that, but when you have this draft capital you have to do better than taking two WRs

I took an afternoon nap and woke up with an idea. I've read several articles like this. And I confess I like Fields more than most. Imagine keeping him, taking Harrison first and coming back with Odunze. Or possibly trade that 1st overall and come out of this with Nabers, Odunze and one of these beast OLs that will be available late 1st early 2nd? Or maybe Harrison or Nabers and Alt or Fashanu and one of these top receivers that will be available in the 2nd? Throw Bowers in there too.

Your Bears are in an amazing and complicated situation. Blessed that this draft is very deep at WR, OL, CB, and QB. The players seem fairly unanimous in wanting Justin back. The fan base is so onboard with him, it's in part responsible for much of the bogus anti-Caleb stuff. Somewhere I read a player saying the locker room would be fired up for Justin if he stayed. That's nothing to ignore imo. I always say the time to fire a coach is when he loses the locker room, and keep a struggling coach who has full support of the players. It's apples and oranges, but your Bears were a tough out late in the season. Justin was looking better.

Sunday Gravy can't believe they haven't added to the wr room? How about two of Harrison, Nabers and Odunze?
I don't really trust rookie receivers as a sure thing so that doesn't get me very excited. I understand taking one and hoping they work out but throwing another one in there, no thanks. Inn ready for this team to make the playoffs this season.

And I really don't see multiple rookie receivers fixing the main issues with Fields.

Can you really justify using #1 and #9 on two WRs though, especially when one of them at best will be your #3 WR, and Fields is your QB?
I mean, I'd just call that a bad use of resources.

If I was a Bears fan and they wanted to keep Fields and trade off of #1 I wouldn't hate that, but when you have this draft capital you have to do better than taking two WRs
If you take Harrison, your next pick has to be offensive or defensive line.
By not taking a qb at 1, you've put yourself all-in on Fields. If you make that commitment, you have to build around him. That means not taking a qb on the early rounds (for better or worse).

Investing heavily in WR for a QB who to date is a low volume, low yardage passer would really be a bold decision.

If it wasn't for trading a second for Claypool, Poles drafting Velus Jones in the 3rd would be his biggest f up. Velus Jones Jr. and Tyler Scott can't run routes and it's debatable if they should even be in the league let alone top of a depth chart. Maybe Scott can be something, but I've seen enough of Jones.

I can pitch an argument for two of top three WRs assuming a trade down but I don’t believe Wash or NE are going to move up. AZ will run to the podium to get Harrison. Now its plausible they can draft Harrison at 1 and possibly snag Odunze at 9 but teams are going to want playmakers so chances are slim. Last year was a rarity w the Carolina move. Teams are going to be more conservative with trading into first round or inching up two spots. I think Harrison and Taliese Fuaga would be solid moves. I would be happy w that move

Investing heavily in WR for a QB who to date is a low volume, low yardage passer would really be a bold decision.

History favors the bold? :)

I dunno. I admit it was an unconventional thought, but I'll also plant a flag on the top 3 wrs in this draft. They're superstars. Your D handled late season GB better than Dallas or SF did in the playoffs. I also like the idea of wr ol with those 2 picks, as I mentioned. Whether it's Justin or Caleb, do everything possible to fix this offense. We saw what a deep high quality wr room can do for a QB with Love last season. Players get hurt. Depth is a good thing.

Fuaga is a no for me unless you get him late 1st early 2nd and plan to use him inside. I've watched all the Pac 10 OLs closely, and Fashanu is miles ahead of Fuaga. I'm also a little obsessed with OLs since Dallas dominated with theirs in the 90s. But my opinion is amateur. I follow Brandon Thorne, who's opinion is highly educated. He played OL and he focuses on it alone all through the college season. He and the analytics geek from Reception Perception are responsible for the OL and WR grades at Bleacher Report's post combine big board. I don't love the qb rankings, but I trust these OL and WR rankings.

Also fwiw, despite my out of the box idea, I'm on record saying it would be dumb to pass on Caleb. Just finding options kind of fun and fascinating. I love Caleb, and I like Justin. Whatever the outcome of this sweet situation is I'll be closet Bears fan for a couple years.

If it wasn't for trading a second for Claypool, Poles drafting Velus Jones in the 3rd would be his biggest f up. Velus Jones Jr. and Tyler Scott can't run routes and it's debatable if they should even be in the league let alone top of a depth chart. Maybe Scott can be something, but I've seen enough of Jones.
Please debate the side that Jones should be in this league and let me know when you're prepared to argue your case.

I can pitch an argument for two of top three WRs assuming a trade down but I don’t believe Wash or NE are going to move up. AZ will run to the podium to get Harrison. Now its plausible they can draft Harrison at 1 and possibly snag Odunze at 9 but teams are going to want playmakers so chances are slim. Last year was a rarity w the Carolina move. Teams are going to be more conservative with trading into first round or inching up two spots. I think Harrison and Taliese Fuaga would be solid moves. I would be happy w that move
You want to guarantee you're picking in the top ten for the next decade? Take Marvin Harrison at 1.

I'm starting to worry about Poles now.

I liked "frugal" when we didn't have championship aspirations. The current roster is a borderline playoff team. He just isn't doing anything to get over the hump.

I hope he doesn't think drafting a QB at #1 means there isn't an a semi urgency to make the playoffs. All he is doing is setting the next QB up for mediocrity.

So frustrated with where the Bears are right now compared to when the season ended.

You want to guarantee you're picking in the top ten for the next decade? Take Marvin Harrison at 1.
I am gauranteed to land the most NFL ready low risk player out of the top ten picks. Harrison adds instant value day one. If the Bears are picking top ten next decade it all points to ownership. Who else can be blamed?

I am gauranteed to land the most NFL ready low risk player out of the top ten picks. Harrison adds instant value day one. If the Bears are picking top ten next decade it all points to ownership. Who else can be blamed?
MHJ at pick 1 would be a bad pick. Maybe not in EVERY year, but it would be this year. If they truly want MHJ, trade down to 3.

MHJ at pick 1 would be a bad pick. Maybe not in EVERY year, but it would be this year. If they truly want MHJ, trade down to 3.
Struggling to understand why this would be a bad pick. Its yet another high risk maybe we get the next Stroud or Mohomes vs. WR prodigy instant plug and play. I haven’t seen one draft class ranking or expert poll that would suggest MHJ would be a bad pick. MHJ Kmet DJ Swift Fields and a shot at an improved OL is in reach. Looks like a win to me.

Users who are viewing this thread