What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (7 Viewers)

Strange feeling they beat the Lions this week.
I wanted to say that as well, but the fact that Flus has never won back to back games is holding me back. Defense has been substantially better lately.

I'll say I wouldn't be shocked if the Bears win this week. Only a -3 pt spread.

Bears have been giving up and average of less than 20 points a game since the Washington game. If they keep Detroit around 21, I think they have a good chance.

All depends on what style of Offense they come out with this week. That Minny gameplan still feels wrong to me.

It occurred to me as I was thinking about Fields and what you all could do with him.
-Trade, I was thinking 4th Rd pick which isn't a lot for a former 1st however...his base salary is $1M next year or thereabouts lets' say.
OK, his 5th year option is maybe around $20M, just keeping a round number.
Would a team out there like to try Fields for the next 2 years and see if he develops more than he has so far?
Would a team like to gamble that is close to winning and has decent players but no QB...there's more than one of those types out there.
I'm thinking they could possibly squueeze a 3rd and maybe even a conditional 2nd pick that is attached to a lot of snaps or accomplishments
-And if they can live with the picks being in the 2025 Draft, they might be able to pit a couple teams against each other for Fields.

You're 4-8, still own the top pick in '24, Another top-10 1st in '24 likely, lot of options will be on the table and the defense seems to be improving.
I don't think I do it for anything less than a 2nd. He's only 24 and still has potential to improve. He's at least an average to above average QB in this league when used right. I don't think he will ever be elite, but you only need one GM to think so. At least two years for an affordable starting QB is a nice asset in itself.

Like you said, there are a handful of middling teams who are going to be looking for a QB. Free Agent class is minimal. Its basically Kirk Cousins and a bunch of cast offs.

If the Bears can't get at least an early third, I think its in their best interest to keep him. Don't give him the 5th year option and take the comp pick when someone gives him a big deal in 2025.
No way they're getting a second for Fields after drafting a QB. And keeping him kn the team with a 1st round rookie is also a mistake. These younger guys are so fragile now with their little egos. He'd just sulk.

It occurred to me as I was thinking about Fields and what you all could do with him.
-Trade, I was thinking 4th Rd pick which isn't a lot for a former 1st however...his base salary is $1M next year or thereabouts lets' say.
Would a team out there like to try Fields for the next 2 years and see if he develops more than he has so far?
Would a team like to gamble that is close to winning and has decent players but no QB...there's more than one of those types out there.
I'm thinking they could possibly squueeze a 3rd and maybe even a conditional 2nd pick that is attached to a lot of snaps or accomplishments
-And if they can live with the picks being in the 2025 Draft, they might be able to pit a couple teams against each other for Fields.

You're 4-8, still own the top pick in '24, Another top-10 1st in '24 likely, lot of options will be on the table and the defense seems to be improving.
I don't think I do it for anything less than a 2nd. He's only 24 and still has potential to improve. He's at least an average to above average QB in this league when used right. I don't think he will ever be elite, but you only need one GM to think so. At least two years for an affordable starting QB is a nice asset in itself.

Like you said, there are a handful of middling teams who are going to be looking for a QB. Free Agent class is minimal. Its basically Kirk Cousins and a bunch of cast offs.

If the Bears can't get at least an early third, I think its in their best interest to keep him. Don't give him the 5th year option and take the comp pick when someone gives him a big deal in 2025.
No way they're getting a second for Fields after drafting a QB. And keeping him kn the team with a 1st round rookie is also a mistake. These younger guys are so fragile now with their little egos. He'd just sulk.
They'd have to trade him pre draft or draft day. I think there will be 3-4 teams interested who aren't near the top of the draft.

Steelers are a new potential landing spot that makes a ton of sense if the price is only a second.

I think they get at minimum a 2nd rounder. JF is a QB who can play in their league and with the right coaching might actually be good. That's worth a lot to franchises.

They'd have to trade him pre draft or draft day. I think there will be 3-4 teams interested who aren't near the top of the draft.

Steelers are a new potential landing spot that makes a ton of sense if the price is only a second.

I think they get at minimum a 2nd rounder. JF is a QB who can play in their league and with the right coaching might actually be good. That's worth a lot to franchises.
My target for trading Fields is a 2nd and 4th. I suspect Atlanta and Pittsburgh will be very active in the QB market this season and trading up into the top 5-10 for a rookie probably isn't what either will do. Who knows what Minnesota, LV, NYJ, SEA or Tampa will do. To be clear, I don't want Poles to trade Fields, but I understand why he would. Both decisions are risky. I still think the best bet is to trade down the #1 for a haul, keep Fields, build both lines and add skill positions and hire a coach who understand how to work with him as a running QB.

Question to Chicago homers: Is this D for real?

Was impressed with them last week. They seem like total nails against the run. Tempted to pick them up prior to kickoff. They're playoff schedule looks pretty good: @CLE, AZ, ATL. Those last two at home, two warm weather/dome teams maybe running into a good D and lousy weather as well???

Was impressed with them last week. They seem like total nails against the run. Tempted to pick them up prior to kickoff. They're playoff schedule looks pretty good: @CLE, AZ, ATL. Those last two at home, two warm weather/dome teams maybe running into a good D and lousy weather as well???
I think they are. This D was a mess early in the season. A lot of new faces and we lost our DC week 3. Flus has shown he is a good DC in the NFL and we're starting to see that now.

Secondary looks worlds better now that the Bears at least have a respectable pass rush. Sweat was a big pick up and Dexter is improving.

Edwards is a stud, Edmonds is playing better now as well.

Things are improving for sure. A rookie CB and Eddie Jackson are our weakest links.

Defense is definitely coming together with Sweat and the rookies coming on. Looks to be the making of something solid.

Congrats, Bears defense was great in the second half.

Kicked Detroit’s butt all day long, better prepared, played harder, made way fewer mistakes. Good dub, Chicago outplayed the Lions twice this year.

Since it seem like a near certainty that Chicago gets the 1st pick via Carolina at this point (two games lead with 5 left) where does everyone stand with Justin Fields? Do you take the qb and reset the qb salary clock?
We don't have the luxury of trading out of 1.1 if you want Harrison, unless 1.2 wants to trade up. I doubt he gets past Arizona.
With their own pick I go best trench player available. It could be o-line or d-line, I don't care.
IMO, we trade Fields, take Caleb, than grab the best offensive or defensive lineman.
I could be swayed to keeping Fields, drafting Harrison and getting the lineman if you could resign Fields to a fairly reasonable deal, but that might be tough.

Since it seem like a near certainty that Chicago gets the 1st pick via Carolina at this point (two games lead with 5 left) where does everyone stand with Justin Fields? Do you take the qb and reset the qb salary clock?
We don't have the luxury of trading out of 1.1 if you want Harrison, unless 1.2 wants to trade up. I doubt he gets past Arizona.
With their own pick I go best trench player available. It could be o-line or d-line, I don't care.
IMO, we trade Fields, take Caleb, than grab the best offensive or defensive lineman.
I could be swayed to keeping Fields, drafting Harrison and getting the lineman if you could resign Fields to a fairly reasonable deal, but that might be tough.
Plenty of QB needy teams will be willing to trade up to #1 or #2. I suspect that Arizona will trade down as they need help at a bunch of spots. Chi should absolutely entertain the idea of a trade down. MHJ isn't the only stud wr in this class. There will be multiple wrs taken in the 1st round.

Plenty of QB needy teams will be willing to trade up to #1 or #2. I suspect that Arizona will trade down as they need help at a bunch of spots. Chi should absolutely entertain the idea of a trade down. MHJ isn't the only stud wr in this class. There will be multiple wrs taken in the 1st round.
Oh, I agree. I was just saying that, if they really want Harrison, they can't trade back very far. Williams and Maye are going one and two. I don't care what the Williams haters are saying, he's not dropping past number two. In that scenario, I believe Harrison is the third pick.
Right now WR are gold in the NFL. There was a time I would have laughed at taking a wr at 3. Times change and pairing DJ and Harrison would a thing of beauty.

If the Bears can get a great offer for the first pick, I think they have to take it. Two firsts, two seconds and a starter I think you take that trade all day right now.

I'm not sold on Williams or Maye but this is what Poles gets paid to do. He better be sure they are a lock to be a tier above JF. And like mentioned the deal JF wants could swing this either way. If he wants more than 40m a year, it's really questionable.

I would love to get MHjr, but I also think there are about 4 first rd WRs with similar upside. Harrison leads the pack, but with the first rd talent depth I don't think the Bears should reach.

If the Bears can get a great offer for the first pick, I think they have to take it. Two firsts, two seconds and a starter I think you take that trade all day right now.

I'm not sold on Williams or Maye but this is what Poles gets paid to do. He better be sure they are a lock to be a tier above JF. And like mentioned the deal JF wants could swing this either way. If he wants more than 40m a year, it's really questionable.

I would love to get MHjr, but I also think there are about 4 first rd WRs with similar upside. Harrison leads the pack, but with the first rd talent depth I don't think the Bears should reach.
How far are you willing to drop down? If Chicago wants to keep Fields (for arguments sake), where would your cutoff be? I'm not sure I want to got past 5.

I'm so torn. I'm not a Williams guy as I do not believe hes built to be a leader of men. I also don't love Fields. He's not capable of being a pocket passer and being a physical freak runner will almost never end well.

This D might have the makings of being special if they keep it together AND add a couple of pieces to the line.

Wish I knew more about Maye because a tough qb that can stand up and deliver the ball all over the field when needed would be our best bet.

How far are you willing to drop down? If Chicago wants to keep Fields (for arguments sake), where would your cutoff be? I'm not sure I want to got past 5.
Id still want another pick in the top 10. Hopefully that comes in a package with an early second as well.

Grab an OT/WR combo in the first 10 picks and I'd be happy. Maybe an Eddie Jackson replacement in the 2nd.

With two early firsts, I like the Bears ability to move where they want to get who they need.

I'm so torn. I'm not a Williams guy as I do not believe hes built to be a leader of men. I also don't love Fields. He's not capable of being a pocket passer and being a physical freak runner will almost never end well.

This D might have the makings of being special if they keep it together AND add a couple of pieces to the line.

Wish I knew more about Maye because a tough qb that can stand up and deliver the ball all over the field when needed would be our best bet.
I've been looking at some reports on Maye and watching some stuff on YouTube and whatnot since I knew the Bears would be looking at him.
IMO, he reminds me of a Justin Herbert-lite type player. I think Williams has more upside, much more upside in fact. I also see a bigger bust capability too since Williams does not like to get out of his comfort zone.
I dunno though, I think all the speculation is moot until we find out who the coach will be. Like, if we somehow get Harbaugh, who's to say they don't trade down further and go after JJ McCarthy?

Agree on the Williams part.

Maye had a down season as well. UNC played a soft schedule and he looked decent throughout the year. His biggest wins on the year were Duke and Miami which isn't saying much.

I'm almost 100% on team Keep Fields if you can get anything like what they got for the #1 pick last offseason, and I think its likely they'll be able to get more, as Williams is a better prospect than Bryce was. I'm also not sure what Fields would fetch via trade, probably just a 3rd rounder (which is well below his value) just because it will be obvious he wouldn't be staying.

Let's assume they get pick #1 and pick #10 or so. So the #10 and hopefully move down from #1 to somewhere in the #6-#9 area and add either 2 additional 1sts, or a 1st and a quality starter. I think Fields has clearly improved each season, and well I understand the idea of keeping the rookie deal window open via drafting a new QB, I think that would be sort of wasting 3 years of development for a guy who is playing pretty well this season, while sacrificing several potential rookie contract starters elsewhere.

Ideally, I think they can add an EDGE opposite Sweat, and either a LT, or another CB (hopefully this winning streak helps convince Jaylon Johnson to stay), with WR being more of a secondary need in round 2 or a mid-tier FA assuming Mooney walks. I do feel like keeping Fields and taking Harrison at #1 would be a poor use of assets, regardless of my thinking that Harrison is the best WR prospect since Calvin.

I've been looking at some reports on Maye and watching some stuff on YouTube and whatnot since I knew the Bears would be looking at him.
IMO, he reminds me of a Justin Herbert-lite type player. I think Williams has more upside, much more upside in fact. I also see a bigger bust capability too since Williams does not like to get out of his comfort zone.
I dunno though, I think all the speculation is moot until we find out who the coach will be. Like, if we somehow get Harbaugh, who's to say they don't trade down further and go after JJ McCarthy?
ACC football fan here. Maye has talent and a solid skill set. He has also crumbled in the face of stronger defenses. UNC's record is padded with a terrible ACC coastal division and cream puffs. The past two years they've been ranked going into the last month of the season and completely collapsed playing the heavy hitters on D.
I expect Maye's ceiling to be a fair to middling NFL QB that will take 2-3 years to develop. The Bears organization and fan base are not patient enough for that.

As much as Flus has improved the DEF in the later half of the season, I still think he needs to go for several reasons.

1. His incoherence at the podium is frustrating from a fan's perspective. I can't begin to count the number of times he's asked a direct question and flopped around the answer like a fish out of water. Right or wrong, the fans need a HC they understand and can get behind.
2. His choices for positional coaches has largely been terrible. Alan Williams was relieved of his duties just a few weeks into the season for internal reasons. His defense was in shambles. Yes, Flus has come in and pulled the D together into a very nice unit, but as HC his priority is to the entire team and he'll need a defensive coordinator that can handle the job. I'm not even going to get into the disaster that is Luke Getsy.
3. In the modern NFL, the problem with having a defensive minded HC is that you're going to need a highly skilled OC to run the offense. If you have any kind of success, that OC will move on to a HC position quickly, then you are stuck looking for the next highly skill, young OC. Look at Buffalo. They lost Daboll and the offense hasn't been right since. They just fired their OC mid season and are working with another as an interim. Contrast that with the relative stability of KC offense under Andy Reid (with OCs coming and going).

As much as Flus has improved the DEF in the later half of the season, I still think he needs to go for several reasons.

1. His incoherence at the podium is frustrating from a fan's perspective. I can't begin to count the number of times he's asked a direct question and flopped around the answer like a fish out of water. Right or wrong, the fans need a HC they understand and can get behind.
2. His choices for positional coaches has largely been terrible. Alan Williams was relieved of his duties just a few weeks into the season for internal reasons. His defense was in shambles. Yes, Flus has come in and pulled the D together into a very nice unit, but as HC his priority is to the entire team and he'll need a defensive coordinator that can handle the job. I'm not even going to get into the disaster that is Luke Getsy.
3. In the modern NFL, the problem with having a defensive minded HC is that you're going to need a highly skilled OC to run the offense. If you have any kind of success, that OC will move on to a HC position quickly, then you are stuck looking for the next highly skill, young OC. Look at Buffalo. They lost Daboll and the offense hasn't been right since. They just fired their OC mid season and are working with another as an interim. Contrast that with the relative stability of KC offense under Andy Reid (with OCs coming and going).
Pretty spot on and totally agree with all the points. I can't stand his coach speak and I don't think he is a good HC, but he is a heck of a DC in this league. Some team is going to be happy with him as their DC.

As much as I like Mooney, I think he moves on next year. He has more talent than his stats show for the year and other teams have to see that. Bears however need to offer based on production and unless he gives a decent hometown discount, He's gone...

As much as I like Mooney, I think he moves on next year. He has more talent than his stats show for the year and other teams have to see that. Bears however need to offer based on production and unless he gives a decent hometown discount, He's gone...
Yeah, I don't see Mooney sticking around. He's too much of a gamble at his potential cost. I'm guessing that the Bears will take at least 1, maybe 2 WRs in the draft or pick up a journeyman WR as the WR3.

Defense is definitely coming together with Sweat and the rookies coming on. Looks to be the making of something solid.
Grabbed the CHI D prior to kickoff. Like what I saw.

This D could be a serious factor during the fantasy playoffs. Combine this D with some wind and show in weeks 16 and 17...jackpot.

Yeah, I don't see Mooney sticking around. He's too much of a gamble at his potential cost. I'm guessing that the Bears will take at least 1, maybe 2 WRs in the draft or pick up a journeyman WR as the WR3.
If the Bears aren't locked into taking a WR in RD1, I'm also ok if they want to take a big swing on a guy Like Mike Evans. If we don't take a QB at #1, we really should shift in to win-now mode.

I spent some time tonight watching Drake Maye tape and I just don't see it with him. A lot of missed throws or under throws.

UNC does a good job scheming WRs open. Pocket awareness seems decent and he moves in the pocket well. OK running skills.

The ACC just looks weak and he didn't rise to the occasion to take his team anywhere.

He's a decent prospect and I'm no scout, but he's not a generational talent to me

I'm strongly in the keep Fields camp. I think that he has improved each year despite not being place in great positions to succeed, especially his first two years. He is one of, if not the most exciting quarterback in the league to watch. He has all of the physical tools and I believe the game is starting to slow down for him.

Beyond that, I am not a believer that either of the top two picks are anywhere close to being guarantees to succeed. Williams in particular worries me that he may be more of a locker room cancer than a leader.

Finally, by keeping Fields, the Bears are in a position to surround him with a pretty complete team next year.

I'm strongly in the keep Fields camp. I think that he has improved each year despite not being place in great positions to succeed, especially his first two years. He is one of, if not the most exciting quarterback in the league to watch. He has all of the physical tools and I believe the game is starting to slow down for him.

Beyond that, I am not a believer that either of the top two picks are anywhere close to being guarantees to succeed. Williams in particular worries me that he may be more of a locker room cancer than a leader.

Finally, by keeping Fields, the Bears are in a position to surround him with a pretty complete team next year.
Poles is in the best/worst position as a GM. If Poles is a quality GM and make the right call here, he punches his ticket for years. If he blows it, he follows Pace down the drain.

JF has grown on me the last 3 weeks. I think he's always going to be in that QB 8-15 range. It's not elite, but it is better than average. Put a good team and staff around him and I think he can win a single SB.

Caleb Williams is the only QB that interests me in this draft. Bears better like what they see off the field, but he is a generational talent at QB.

If I were in Poles shoes it would come down to what someone offers for the #1. If a team goes stupid big with an offer, JF is the answer.

Folks can say what they want about Fields, but his locker room presence and work ethic have never been in question. Every single player in the locker room would take a punch for that kid.

Please fire Getsy
Ugly game plan today. Fields was horrible as well.

D could only do so much.
This one isn't on Fields. The bears have 4 serviceable OL. When one goes down (Jenkins), the middle of the line is just a straight up turnstile. Dude did the best he could with Miles Garret in his jersey the whole game. Bears need to sign a top flight vet center and draft more interior OL help.

Please fire Getsy

D could only do so much.
This one isn't on Fields. The bears have 4 serviceable OL. When one goes down (Jenkins), the middle of the line is just a straight up turnstile. Dude did the best he could with Miles Garret in his jersey the whole game. Bears need to sign a top flight vet center and draft more interior OL help.
I don't agree at all. Yes, Cleveland has a very good defense, but there were plenty of opportunities. Fields has no pocket awareness at all. He has poor decision making skills. If there's a wrong thing to do, he usually finds it.

Please fire Getsy

D could only do so much.
No, he sucked today. Takes dumb sacks constantly. Stands there like a doofus with his head on a swivel half the time. Inaccurate throws all day. Stop giving this third year veteran a pass like he's a rookie. He's not in the developmental stages anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread