What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (4 Viewers)

Or would santos have like basically a 0% chance of making it?

Chicago, IIRC, was barely on the other side of the field. That's sixty-plus yards at least. It was more like sixty-five or greater.
That’s how I remember it….
They were on the Cleveland 45, so a 62-yarder.

This was Eberflus' explanation:

After the game, Eberflus explained why he chose to huck the ball deep rather than try a kick.

“That was going into the wind,” Eberflus said. “That was just too far of a kick for us to make that attempt there.”

Eberflus wouldn’t say exactly what his kickline was for the day, but he said the offense was “quite a ways back.” The weather clearly played a significant role in the decision, because Santos has been perfect on 50+ yard kicks this year, going 6-6 with a couple of makes from 54 and one from 55.

“The wind was significant in that direction for sure,” Eberflus said.

I understand wanting to roll with Fields, but you will have to pay him soon and you are not 100% sure if he is the guy. If you draft Caleb number one, you at least start that rookie contract over. I don’t know how you pass that up unless somebody backs up the truck for the pick (which is certainly a possibility).

I understand wanting to roll with Fields, but you will have to pay him soon and you are not 100% sure if he is the guy. If you draft Caleb number one, you at least start that rookie contract over. I don’t know how you pass that up unless somebody backs up the truck for the pick (which is certainly a possibility).
That's what I think it comes down to. Poles needs to do what's best for the team. If someone offers 2 1st, 2 2nds and a starting caliber player, I think the Bears would be silly not to take that.

They also have the cap space to go add a guy like Mike Evans.

This team isn't that far off from being a playoff caliber team.

I think the Bears have a very serious hole at WR2-4 next season. Maybe Scott can step into #4, but he needs to be more consistent. Moore and Scott are the only two WRs under contract next season. I'd bring back E. St. Brown as a #6. Done with Mooney.

Couple other FA WRs of interest next year.

Michael Pittman
Curtis Samuel
Calvin Ridley
Tee Higgins
Gabe Davis

This draft class is loaded with WR talent. But at minimum the Bears need to sign another starting WR and draft one in the first couple rounds as well.

Or would santos have like basically a 0% chance of making it?

Chicago, IIRC, was barely on the other side of the field. That's sixty-plus yards at least. It was more like sixty-five or greater.
That’s how I remember it….
They were on the Cleveland 45, so a 62-yarder.

This was Eberflus' explanation:

After the game, Eberflus explained why he chose to huck the ball deep rather than try a kick.

“That was going into the wind,” Eberflus said. “That was just too far of a kick for us to make that attempt there.”

Eberflus wouldn’t say exactly what his kickline was for the day, but he said the offense was “quite a ways back.” The weather clearly played a significant role in the decision, because Santos has been perfect on 50+ yard kicks this year, going 6-6 with a couple of makes from 54 and one from 55.

“The wind was significant in that direction for sure,” Eberflus said.
The real head scratcher is that was the direction the Bears picked. Flus wanted the wind in the first (while it was raining the hardest) to "jumpstart the passing game".

Bears ended up throwing 2x hail marys this game because they didn't have the wind to end either half.

Listened to Hoge and Johns who had a former GM on their show yesterday that shared his perspective of what Chicago will do.

He thinks its the right move to take Caleb Williams at #1. He also doesn't like Maye even if the Bears get the #2 pick.

Comes down to the fact that the Bears should know the Getsy/Fields experiment is over. They don't form an effective offense. Bears can't replace Getsy with a new offense and expect Fields to improve in year one with a new OC. Which means another year of not knowing what you have in JF and that's just too long at that point.

He thinks a QB needs 3 years in the same system to master it. Year 1 is learning, Year 2 is refining and Year 3 is perfecting. JF isn't going to get that in Chicago, so its best to turn the page.

Listened to Hoge and Johns who had a former GM on their show yesterday that shared his perspective of what Chicago will do.

He thinks its the right move to take Caleb Williams at #1. He also doesn't like Maye even if the Bears get the #2 pick.

Comes down to the fact that the Bears should know the Getsy/Fields experiment is over. They don't form an effective offense. Bears can't replace Getsy with a new offense and expect Fields to improve in year one with a new OC. Which means another year of not knowing what you have in JF and that's just too long at that point.

He thinks a QB needs 3 years in the same system to master it. Year 1 is learning, Year 2 is refining and Year 3 is perfecting. JF isn't going to get that in Chicago, so its best to turn the page.

That's a pretty realistic take, TBH. Love the quote about QBs learning the system. It's accurate and a big reason why paying big bucks for an older QB generally isn't a good idea.

Taking a look at the Bears contract situation, here are the team's 8 biggest contracts in amount per year:

$24.5M/yr DE Montez Sweat (4 yr $98M contract extension for 2024-27 signed in 2023 after trade from WAS on 1 yr $7M contract for rest of 2023)
$18.0M/yr LB Tremaine Edmunds (4 yr $72M FA contract for 2023-26 signed in 2023 offseason)
$17.4M/yr WR D.J. Moore (3 yr $52.3M contract remaining for 2023-25, after 2023 offseason trade from CAR)
$14.6M/yr S Eddie Jackson (4 yr $58.4M contract extension for 2021-24 signed in 2020)
$12.5M/yr TE Cole Kmet (4 yr $50.0M contract extension for 2024-27 signed in 2023 offseason)
$10.5M/yr DE Yannick Ngakoue (1 yr $10.5M FA contract for 2023 signed in 2023 offseason)
$10.3M/yr C/G Cody Whitehair (5 yr $51.3M contract extension for 2020-24 signed in 2019)
$10.0M/yr RG Nate Davis (3 yr $30M FA contract for 2023-25 signed in 2023 offseason)

We can break these down into three categories (this time I'll show the amount of new money that they're owed if CHI keeps them on the roster in 2024 and in 2025):

Good players
$24.5M/yr DE Montez Sweat ($21M in new money in 2024, $0.0M in new money in 2025)
$17.4M/yr WR D.J. Moore ($14.9M in new money in 2024, $16.1M in new money in 2025)
$12.5M/yr TE Cole Kmet ($0.1M in new money in 2024, $10.0M in new money in 2025)

All three of these guys have played up to their contract and are likely to stick around. DJ Moore has been great: a top 10 WR by production (and by PFF grade) and the team's one big weapon on offense. Montez Sweat has been great and the defense has improved a lot since they traded for him. Cole Kmet has been solid. Kmet and Sweat also just signed their extensions which pretty much guarantee that Kmet will be on the roster in 2024 and Sweat through 2025; both contracts are also front-loaded so that it only costs the team an additional $10M/yr to keep Kmet each year beyond that and Sweat $21M/yr.

Stuck under contract?
$18.0M/yr LB Tremaine Edmunds ($8.3M or $13.3M in new money in 2024, $6.8M in new money in 2025)
$10.0M/yr RG Nate Davis ($2.5M in new money in 2024, $9.5M in new money in 2025)

Edmunds & Davis were two of the team's big FA signings this past offseason, and both have disappointed. Edmunds has been inconsistent at LB and has gotten outplayed by the less expensive TJ Edwards, and Davis hasn't been solid like he was the previous 3 years in Tennessee. But on the whole they've been meh rather than awful, and as new big signings in 2023 their contracts favor keeping them around. Davis's contract strongly favors keeping him through 2024, and Edmunds's contract favors keeping him through 2025 (by just how much depends on whether the Overthecap or Spotrac numbers are right - they disagree on whether his $5M 2024 roster bonus is gtd). Both will probably be back as starters next year with another chance.

On the way out?
$14.6M/yr S Eddie Jackson ($14.2M in new money in 2024, FA in 2025)
$10.5M/yr DE Yannick Ngakoue (FA in 2024)
$10.3M/yr C/G Cody Whitehair ($10.3M in new money in 2024, FA in 2025)

Yannick Ngakoue signed a 1-year FA deal late last offseason to be the Bears' top pass rusher and hasn't produced. His 4 sacks are a career low, his 11 pressures are a career low by far, and PFF grades him as one of the worst EDGE players in the league. He is unlikely to be re-signed for next year, and I'd expect him to get a much smaller contract wherever he lands.

Eddie Jackson & Cody Whitehair are both deep into their contracts and easily cuttable, and aren't the players that they used to be. PFF graded Whitehair as awful in 2023, after being averageish in 2021-22 and good before that. Whitehair provides some IOL versatility since he can move between C & LG (he has mostly played LG this year, because guards Teven Jenkins and Nate Davis have each missed a few games), but that versatility isn't that useful if he isn't playing the position well. PFF grades say that Eddie Jackson hasn't had another season close to his huge 2018, and he has been a below average safety in 3 out of the past 4 years. I thought that Whitehair & Jackson with both cut candidates last offseason, and with both having another unimpressive season and the team now less flush with cap space I think they're both likely to be gone season (or perhaps restructured to smaller contracts).

Time to see what Roschon can do as the main guy. I'm not sure he's good enough but they need to try these next few games. Can't just ignore rb anymore. They don't and most likely won't have a superstar qb to carry the offense. Would be nice if we had a legit rb to lean on.

So here are the two scenarios.

- Keep Flus and Getsy, you have to Keep Justin. Take Harrison then load up on D and O line. You can't give those two a new qb just to use as a scapegoat.

- New staff = Trade Justin, take Williams. Resetting Fields with a new offense doesn't work for me.

The wildcard is keeping Flus, changing OC which means Caleb.

I'm very torn. Williams is hard to listen to. He does not seem like a leader of men. He paints his fingernails. His dog is his soulmate. Then I watch highlights and he looks like Mahomes. Fields is tough as nails. Locker room respects him big time. But his play is so inconsistent it's maddening. What a hard decision.

- Keep Flus and Getsy, you have to Keep Justin. Take Harrison then load up on D and O line. You can't give those two a new qb just to use as a scapegoat.

- New staff = Trade Justin, take Williams. Resetting Fields with a new offense doesn't work for me.

I'm very torn. Williams is hard to listen to. He does not seem like a leader of men. He paints his fingernails. His dog is his soulmate. Then I watch highlights and he looks like Mahomes. Fields is tough as nails. Locker room respects him big time. But his play is so inconsistent it's maddening. What a hard decision.
Ar the very least the OC has to go . Getsy makes me want to throw up half the time with his conservative play calls.
As for Williams, I'm with you, I'm torn. The worst thing that could happen to him actually happened. That was his backup tearing down the house in the bowl game. USC qbs already have the reputation of being system players and this did nothing to dispel that. Plus, the dude is a kook.

Keep JF... get the Panthers style package.
Sign Evans or Pittman
Sign d. Hunter
Sign conner Williams
= contender
I highly doubt Evans or Pittman hit the market. Pittman seems especially likely to be a franchise tag candidate with Taylor taken care of.

I do agree with the trade down and keeping Fields. If they don't though, I think Fields has done enough that he gets at least 2 2nds in a deal, or a 1st.

Would love if they can trade down and still get 1 of Nabers, Latu, or Alt.

Sign Evans or Pittman
Sign d. Hunter
Sign conner Williams
= contender
Well, if they trade down, there's a chance they get Harrison or Nabers, so I'm not sure they'll need to break the bank for Evans, Pittman or Higgins. That's good, because all three are gonna get paid. As for their other pick, take the best OT available or even splurge on Bowers.
I would love to get Hunter and Williams though as fa's.

Sign Evans or Pittman
Sign d. Hunter
Sign conner Williams
= contender
Well, if they trade down, there's a chance they get Harrison or Nabers, so I'm not sure they'll need to break the bank for Evans, Pittman or Higgins. That's good, because all three are gonna get paid. As for their other pick, take the best OT available or even splurge on Bowers.
I would love to get Hunter and Williams though as fa's.
The problem is we have Moore and Scott under contract. That's it.

Scott is a #4 on a contender. I'm unsure how #2 & 3 get staffed this year, there are multiple ways to address these needs.

Ar the very least the OC has to go . Getsy makes me want to throw up half the time with his conservative play calls.
As for Williams, I'm with you, I'm torn. The worst thing that could happen to him actually happened. That was his backup tearing down the house in the bowl game. USC qbs already have the reputation of being system players and this did nothing to dispel that. Plus, the dude is a kook.
You can't keep Fields if you get rid of Getsy. I have no interest in Fields learning a new offense which will take 2-3 years to perfect.

I think Getsy made some strides this season just like Eberflus did. I'm not going to blame him for the inconsistent Fields play.

Make no mistake if you keep Fields you HAVE TO give him Harrison. I can't believe what I'm seeing here after the screw up with Carter last year. Stop trying to trade good picks. How about picking some stars! Damn.

Make no mistake if you keep Fields you HAVE TO give him Harrison. I can't believe what I'm seeing here after the screw up with Carter last year. Stop trying to trade good picks. How about picking some stars! Damn.
You can have both here. If you can trade down a pick or two, say Washington or New England wants to trade up to ensure they get Williams, I'd absolutely do that. Plus you could still get Harrison.

You can have both here. If you can trade down a pick or two, say Washington or New England wants to trade up to ensure they get Williams, I'd absolutely do that. Plus you could still get Harrison.
Agree with that. But you can't move down past 3 probably and expect to get him.

It feels like they have to run it back with Fields. He has shown enough here lately, and they can get another bundle for the top pick. With their defense quietly getting better, they could be a team to watch in 2024.

You can't keep Fields if you get rid of Getsy. I have no interest in Fields learning a new offense which will take 2-3 years to perfect.

I think Getsy made some strides this season just like Eberflus did. I'm not going to blame him for the inconsistent Fields play.
Yeah, I don't believe that. A competent OC will incorporate things that work from the current offense while slowing adding in his own stuff. Fields is a smart, first in the building, last to leave kinda guy. He can pick it up quickly in year 4. He can do that especially with an OC who will, you know, actually work with him and not try to change his footwork and mechanics during training camp. What an abject failure that was and it was 100% on Getsy because he didn't like Fields' dropback. I swear most of the early sacks taken and disruption of timing was because of that. 100% Getsy.
The new guard of great OCs are flexible, able to adapt to the personnel they have, and can be creative within the limitations of that personnel. The "my system" guys are a dying breed.

Back to Flus, though. Assuming Poles knocks it out of the park and hires a killer OC, what happens next? That OC stays for two years and leaves for a head coach position. Then the Bears are right back where they started. Personally, I'd like to see them hire an offense minded coach with a young up and comer OC and an established DC. HC calls plays while grooming the OC and eventually promoting from within when the OC moves on. It's the way Andy Reid has done it in KC (and Philly) since the beginning of time.

Yeah, I don't believe that. A competent OC will incorporate things that work from the current offense while slowing adding in his own stuff. Fields is a smart, first in the building, last to leave kinda guy. He can pick it up quickly in year 4. He can do that especially with an OC who will, you know, actually work with him and not try to change his footwork and mechanics during training camp. What an abject failure that was and it was 100% on Getsy because he didn't like Fields' dropback. I swear most of the early sacks taken and disruption of timing was because of that. 100% Getsy.
The new guard of great OCs are flexible, able to adapt to the personnel they have, and can be creative within the limitations of that personnel. The "my system" guys are a dying breed.

Back to Flus, though. Assuming Poles knocks it out of the park and hires a killer OC, what happens next? That OC stays for two years and leaves for a head coach position. Then the Bears are right back where they started. Personally, I'd like to see them hire an offense minded coach with a young up and comer OC and an established DC. HC calls plays while grooming the OC and eventually promoting from within when the OC moves on. It's the way Andy Reid has done it in KC (and Philly) since the beginning of time.
Completely disagree. Let's put Fields who has given us zero reason to think he can perfect any offense let alone a completely new one in that situation in his last year on his rookie deal. We can go 7-9 again because we're talented. We can still be confused about Fields because hey he's learning a new offense and then what do you do about his contract? Give him the Daniel Jones deal?

It's so simple what the Bears need to do. They already have their OTs in place and the defense is much improved. Draft a QB, along with Nabers at WR to compliment DJ and you're set. Nabers would be the top WR taken in any other draft. Of course, the Bears are idiots and it's unlikely they will do this. It would be the perfect setup for a rookie QB to walk into.

It feels like they have to run it back with Fields. He has shown enough here lately, and they can get another bundle for the top pick. With their defense quietly getting better, they could be a team to watch in 2024.
Fields sucks and they don't need to run anything back with him. The Bears will have had 2 drafts kn a row to pick a QB. They already passed on Stroud. Passing yet again and replacing the dud that is Fields would be moronic. Stroud has already been better in his first season. Fields has big games and flashes and brilliance and then sucks again. He's a bum

Getsy and Fields are both losers and need to go.

Fields sucks and they don't need to run anything back with him. The Bears will have had 2 drafts kn a row to pick a QB. They already passed on Stroud. Passing yet again and replacing the dud that is Fields would be moronic. Stroud has already been better in his first season. Fields has big games and flashes and brilliance and then sucks again. He's a bum
It seems like Fields has been better lately, and the fans seem to have really rallied around him. It would be a very Bears thing to get rid of the game and then draft a guy who busts, but with the zillions picks they accumulated from the Panthers, they have a chance to get really good really fast with the right moves.

It seems like Fields has been better lately, and the fans seem to have really rallied around him. It would be a very Bears thing to get rid of the game and then draft a guy who busts, but with the zillions picks they accumulated from the Panthers, they have a chance to get really good really fast with the right moves.
They're in a position to build a very formidable team now. It's just hard to have any faith that they'll ever do it.

I don't like Maye and don't love Williams.

Very concerning to see Williams backup go out and throw for 375 yards and 6 TDs against a good Louisville team. Williams only did that once all year.

10-27 career record

I'm calling it now. The Bears win this division next year and easily
I like what the Bears have shown this year and how they are set up for the future but dream 🛌 on.
The division is becoming one of the best in the NFL and whoever wins it is in for a dogfight.

And if the Bears move on from Fields for a rookie QB they will have a harder time of it

Unfortunately coordinators move on all the time. It’s rare to have relationships like Manning with Tom Moore. The Bears could keep everyone, Fields takes the next step, then Getsy is gone.

Fields is absolutely not a bum. He’s one of, if not the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NFL. By all accounts, he is a very hard worker. He’s a good leader that is respected and loved by his teammates. He has the mental strength to handle the pressure of playing in the NFL and particularly in Chicago. And, despite 3 years of terrible offensive coordinators, he has still proven to be a capable starter in the NFL.

I much rather keep him than roll the dice on a rookie.

Fields is absolutely not a bum. He’s one of, if not the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NFL. By all accounts, he is a very hard worker. He’s a good leader that is respected and loved by his teammates. He has the mental strength to handle the pressure of playing in the NFL and particularly in Chicago. And, despite 3 years of terrible offensive coordinators, he has still proven to be a capable starter in the NFL.

None of this means anything and is just another list of excuses on why he can't do what's most important and win games. All of the rest is just chatter. Excuses for why he hasn't won and opinions about him being a leader and being mentally strong. He can't win and he stinks. I think much of this is just fan guilt and being unwilling to admit being wrong and moving on. He's had 3 years and still hasn't won consistently. Move along

2 OCs in 3 seasons. Isn't it so easy to blame the coordinator who's not on the field?

The whole keeping him thing isn't so simple when you bring contract stuff into it. You'd be willing to give him a Daniel Jones monster deal after next season? What if he's not very good again like this season but we don't have a top 5 pick because we are talented enough to get like the 12th pick? Caleb Williams is probably going to grade off the charts when the evaluations begin. That's who you need to pass on.

It's not so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread