What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (4 Viewers)

It feels like they have to run it back with Fields. He has shown enough here lately, and they can get another bundle for the top pick. With their defense quietly getting better, they could be a team to watch in 2024.
Fields sucks and they don't need to run anything back with him. The Bears will have had 2 drafts kn a row to pick a QB. They already passed on Stroud. Passing yet again and replacing the dud that is Fields would be moronic. Stroud has already been better in his first season. Fields has big games and flashes and brilliance and then sucks again. He's a bum
Fields is absolutely not a bum. He’s one of, if not the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NFL. By all accounts, he is a very hard worker. He’s a good leader that is respected and loved by his teammates. He has the mental strength to handle the pressure of playing in the NFL and particularly in Chicago. And, despite 3 years of terrible offensive coordinators, he has still proven to be a capable starter in the NFL.

I much rather keep him than roll the dice on a rookie.
2 OCs in 3 seasons. Isn't it so easy to blame the coordinator who's not on the field?

The whole keeping him thing isn't so simple when you bring contract stuff into it. You'd be willing to give him a Daniel Jones monster deal after next season? What if he's not very good again like this season but we don't have a top 5 pick because we are talented enough to get like the 12th pick? Caleb Williams is probably going to grade off the charts when the evaluations begin. That's who you need to pass on.

It's not so easy.
It's not an easy decision. I think Williams will grade off the charts as well, but that doesn't mean Poles thinks so. I think that also increases the value of the #1 pick.

Fields is loved in that locker room too, so that's another thing Poles needs consider. If you're moving a team leader out, you better be sold it's the right move.

I think Poles needs to feel out Fields and his agent about what they think a long term contract looks like. Daniel Jones money is too rich for me. This is a tough one to figure out.

If they find some middle ground on a contract and trade the #1 for an awesome package, I think that's a good option.

It feels like they have to run it back with Fields. He has shown enough here lately, and they can get another bundle for the top pick. With their defense quietly getting better, they could be a team to watch in 2024.
Fields sucks and they don't need to run anything back with him. The Bears will have had 2 drafts kn a row to pick a QB. They already passed on Stroud. Passing yet again and replacing the dud that is Fields would be moronic. Stroud has already been better in his first season. Fields has big games and flashes and brilliance and then sucks again. He's a bum
Fields is absolutely not a bum. He’s one of, if not the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NFL. By all accounts, he is a very hard worker. He’s a good leader that is respected and loved by his teammates. He has the mental strength to handle the pressure of playing in the NFL and particularly in Chicago. And, despite 3 years of terrible offensive coordinators, he has still proven to be a capable starter in the NFL.

2 OCs in 3 seasons. Isn't it so easy to blame the coordinator who's not on the field?

The whole keeping him thing isn't so simple when you bring contract stuff into it. You'd be willing to give him a Daniel Jones monster deal after next season? What if he's not very good again like this season but we don't have a top 5 pick because we are talented enough to get like the 12th pick? Caleb Williams is probably going to grade off the charts when the evaluations begin. That's who you need to pass on.

It's not so easy.
It's not an easy decision. I think Williams will grade off the charts as well, but that doesn't mean Poles thinks so. I think that also increases the value of the #1 pick.

Fields is loved in that locker room too, so that's another thing Poles needs consider. If you're moving a team leader out, you better be sold it's the right move.

I think Poles needs to feel out Fields and his agent about what they think a long term contract looks like. Daniel Jones money is too rich for me. This is a tough one to figure out.

If they find some middle ground on a contract and trade the #1 for an awesome package, I think that's a good option.
This all makes sense. As to Flapgreen and Sunday Gravy, as well as you, I know it’s not an easy decision with so much on the line. Also, not claiming to be a genius in this area. Simply stating my opinion and what I prefer to see.

It's not so easy.

This all makes sense. As to Flapgreen and Sunday Gravy, as well as you, I know it’s not an easy decision with so much on the line. Also, not claiming to be a genius in this area. Simply stating my opinion and what I prefer to see.
I'm obviously being a little hyperbolic about it. I try to keep it as simple as possible. Good QBs will win, regardless of the situation. Fields just hasn't done that. Is it possible than he can? Sure. But odds are that he won't after consistently losing for 3 season. Then, you have to take into account the new contract they'll have to give him versus the rookie contract of a new QB. My guess is they actually keep him and trade down. If the McCaskeys weren't such losers at life, they'd throw everything at Harbaugh and also draft a QB early and then a WR. Would be the talk of the NFL and a historic turn around. Defense is already balling and they have their OTs in place. It's not like the cupboard is bare, even if they go qb with the first pick. Still, the McCaskeys are genuine losers and will likely not do any of that and just stay losers.

I would like to see them trade the #1 for #3 if Washington holds it for #3, 2025 WSH 1st and 2nd Rounder or Bears 2nd Pick back and draft Harrison

If WSH is bad enough maybe that 2025 #1 turns into another top 3 pick and then can draft a QB in 2025 or resign Fields after this year. Heard it this morning on the Score, if the Bears trade Fields and draft a qb, the rookie qb now not only has a ton of pressure on him to perform, but will always be compared to Fields who is playing for another team. I am not sold on Williams or Maye as the QB Savior.

Bears made it to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. The D is greatly improved. Give Fields another year.

It's not so easy.

I'm obviously being a little hyperbolic about it. I try to keep it as simple as possible. Good QBs will win, regardless of the situation. Fields just hasn't done that. Is it possible than he can? Sure. But odds are that he won't after consistently losing for 3 season. Then, you have to take into account the new contract they'll have to give him versus the rookie contract of a new QB. My guess is they actually keep him and trade down. If the McCaskeys weren't such losers at life, they'd throw everything at Harbaugh and also draft a QB early and then a WR. Would be the talk of the NFL and a historic turn around. Defense is already balling and they have their OTs in place. It's not like the cupboard is bare, even if they go qb with the first pick. Still, the McCaskeys are genuine losers and will likely not do any of that and just stay losers.
I think the bolded is wrong. A great QB can elevate a team above its talent sure, but pretty much every QB other than Brady has had losing seasons when their team isn't very good.

Not arguing Fields is a franchise QB, but I think holding his record against him is misguided. The Bears wouldn't have been a playoff team in 21-22 if Mahomes was the QB. This year was better, but Fields has been a good QB this year, showing clear improvement. If he'd stayed healthy, they are likely in a winner takes all game with GB this week.

It's not so easy.

I think the bolded is wrong. A great QB can elevate a team above its talent sure, but pretty much every QB other than Brady has had losing seasons when their team isn't very good.

Not arguing Fields is a franchise QB, but I think holding his record against him is misguided. The Bears wouldn't have been a playoff team in 21-22 if Mahomes was the QB. This year was better, but Fields has been a good QB this year, showing clear improvement. If he'd stayed healthy, they are likely in a winner takes all game with GB this week.

Texans and Browns this year proved the coaching is more important than having an elite QB. Jimmy G is the very definition of "average" starting QB and he took SF to the Super Bowl and nearly won. Hell, the Jags were a few minutes away from a Super Bowl a few years ago with Blake Bortles at the helm. I have zero doubts with better coaching and an upgraded cast that Justin Fields could take the Bears to the Super Bowl.

It's not so easy.

The agent is David Mulugheta. There will be no home team discounts. He is a "Super Agent" known for maximizing contracts. The Bears will have to pay to keep Fields.

It's not so easy.

The agent is David Mulugheta. There will be no home team discounts. He is a "Super Agent" known for maximizing contracts. The Bears will have to pay to keep Fields.
Right now he's 10-27 as a starter. He's thrown for over 300 yards ONCE. But he's a good team guy and runs really fast. What's the going rate for that kind of quarterback?

Well "maximizing contracts" or not, there's only so much leverage that Fields and his agent have given his body of work and the fact the Bears own the 1.01 pick. Fields obviously won't get a "top of market" contract given those factors. It's not hard to imagine that Fields refuses a more modest contract now, and his play in 2024 is such he never gets an offer for starting QB money. It might be a "sign for Jimmy G money now, or sign for $4-5mm/year backup money in 2025" situation.

Right now he's 10-27 as a starter. He's thrown for over 300 yards ONCE. But he's a good team guy and runs really fast. What's the going rate for that kind of quarterback?

If you're strictly considering his running ability and "good team guy" aspects I'd say the recent comp for Fields would be Daniel Jones. But Jones had a solid late season push in the final year before his extension (which Fields has not) so I'd say he won't get Danny Dimes money.

If instead of his athletic profile, you're talking about the more holistic concerns about whether he was the "right guy" for the team to build around and whether he could actually win a Lombardi given sufficient tools, then the proper comp is 2018 post-AFC Championship game Blake Bortles (if the Bears keep him) or 2022 Jimmy G (who the Niners let go to be signed by the Raiders). Bortles contract AAV was around $18mm and JimmyG is $24mm.

One has to believe the Bears will quietly shop Fields during the offseason and see what return they can get for him. That will drive the decision about how to approach the 1.01 pick and if they trade down.

Well "maximizing contracts" or not, there's only so much leverage that Fields and his agent have given his body of work and the fact the Bears own the 1.01 pick. Fields obviously won't get a "top of market" contract given those factors. It's not hard to imagine that Fields refuses a more modest contract now, and his play in 2024 is such he never gets an offer for starting QB money. It might be a "sign for Jimmy G money now, or sign for $4-5mm/year backup money in 2025" situation.

If you're strictly considering his running ability and "good team guy" aspects I'd say the recent comp for Fields would be Daniel Jones. But Jones had a solid late season push in the final year before his extension (which Fields has not) so I'd say he won't get Danny Dimes money.

If instead of his athletic profile, you're talking about the more holistic concerns about whether he was the "right guy" for the team to build around and whether he could actually win a Lombardi given sufficient tools, then the proper comp is 2018 post-AFC Championship game Blake Bortles (if the Bears keep him) or 2022 Jimmy G (who the Niners let go to be signed by the Raiders). Bortles contract AAV was around $18mm and JimmyG is $24mm.

One has to believe the Bears will quietly shop Fields during the offseason and see what return they can get for him. That will drive the decision about how to approach the 1.01 pick and if they trade down.
Fields' contract is such an overblown issue. 24 is his 4th year of the rookie deal. 25 is the 5th year option at approximately $20 million. 26 CAN be a franchise tag (approx $45 million). And if they're still unsure by 2026, the Bears are probably going to get a new GM/Front office anyway.

Fields' contract is such an overblown issue. 24 is his 4th year of the rookie deal. 25 is the 5th year option at approximately $20 million. 26 CAN be a franchise tag (approx $45 million). And if they're still unsure by 2026, the Bears are probably going to get a new GM/Front office anyway.
They have to make the 5th year call this off-season, which I think they will pick up, but Poles can't be sitting on both the most value draft asset and not have a more clear understanding of his team's most valuable asset at the same time.

If the Bears get a future first and second from a bad team they at least get another insurance policy should JF regress.

I think the last thing any of us want is to franchise tag JF. I like him, but he isn't a top 10 QB.

The Bears have to make a decision. The 5th-year option must be picked up by May 2024. The draft is in April. If they draft a QB with the first pick or even the 10th or anywhere in the top ten they are not picking up his 5th year option. If they trade Fields the question is when? And of course to who? Poles will want to slow play this as much as possible for the option of mortgaging as much as possible for the #1 pick if they decide that route. The first move is the staff. Do the Bears keep the coaching staff and OC? Or move on from both or one?

If they keep the HC and OC that seems more arrows pointing in Fields staying. If they keep Getsy but get rid of Eberfluse could go any which way with Fields. If they get rid of both or Getsy that points to Fields being replaced. None of this affects Fields or "Athletes First". If the Bears trade him he is most likely getting the 5th year option picked up from his new team. The estimation of that is 23.5 million or he gets a new long-term contract. If the Bears decide to keep him they will have the option of picking up his option or signing him to a longer-term deal.

They or someone will be dealing with an agent known to be a strong negotiator. My point earlier someone is paying more than what his numbers say he should be paid. That is just how quarterback contracts go. The contract and price are going to play a big role in what they do. They could start over with a younger QB on a rookie deal and already have built the roster up around that player and can continue to do so. The risk of a bust is always there. Or they can get a pretty good haul for the #1 pick and build around Fields but you will be paying more than you should for Fields and gambling he improves. If they do trade him then I would think it is in the AFC or at least they will want to trade him to an AFC team. I wonder if New England would be interested in Fields? There seems to be a lot of talk around Atlanta but if they can find a partner in the AFC I would think that would be the option they would want to go. The Bears could also just stick and pick (weapon MHJ or best lineman option) and keep Fields or keep Fields and draft another QB later.

Either way. Fields is getting paid sooner or later.

Last edited:

It's not so easy.

A good QB this year? In what world? He's partially responsible for 3 of the biggest blown leads in recent Bears history and hasn't been to the playoffs in his only 3 years. If you can't hold a players record over a 3 year period against him, what can you hold against him? The kid doesn't have it. He's solid when there's no pressure in his face, like last week. He's terrible when he does. If he was even a mediocre QB, the Bears are in the playoffs this year. His 3rd year! But he's not, so they aren't. It's easy to see if a guy has it after 3 years years. Look at Stroud. Fields has never even came close to that in 3 years. If the Bears don't move on from him, it will be more of the same. There's a reason the Bears won't get over a 3rd round pick for him. Iv he was legit, teams would offer much more. They won't.

It's not so easy.

Exactly. 3rd round pick at best

I'm actually stunned there's an impression going around the league that Fields has had a good season. He got shut out against the Vikings. Look what Love just did to them. Three points in the second half at home to Arizona. Blown big leads late to Cleveland and Detroit and freaking Denver at home! What planet are these people on?

It's not so easy.

The best part is we will all get a chance to find out. I think you are underestimating what teams will pay. I also think some of these blown losses could also see some coaching and staff issues. Getsy just has not used Fields how he should have. There is enough film of Fields doing enough to sell that. I think they could get a 1st maybe a 2nd. Or a couple 2nds.

Atlanta might not have been that good. Bears have won 4 out of the last 5. Arizona beat Philly this weekend so stuff happens. It's going to be fun to watch either way. The Bears own the 2024 offseason.

I could be wrong. I'm okay with that but I think there are believers in the NFL community in what Fields can be in the right offense.

I'm actually stunned there's an impression going around the league that Fields has had a good season. He got shut out against the Vikings. Look what Love just did to them. Three points in the second half at home to Arizona. Blown big leads late to Cleveland and Detroit and freaking Denver at home! What planet are these people on?
It's nuts. I don't think it's going around the league. It's just Bears fans not wanting to face the facts that the franchise blew another QB pick. They did. He has the same issues that he had in college. Good on the move. Panics under pressure. Nothing has changed.

I think there is an opinion that the coaching staff has not used him correctly. Fields has done enough to leave doubt. This little run has been good for the Bears and the ability to shop Fields. I'm not saying there is not an opinion that Fields is only worth a 3rd or he is not a franchise QB but I'm saying there are opinions out there that he is a franchise QB. I like a lot of what Fields can do but I also have some worries about him. The number one issue I have with him is his throwing mechanics. He has that little side-arm-looking mechanism that I'm not a fan of. I think it just causes issues for him in the pocket. I do think he can be very good in the right offense with the right staff.

It's not so easy.

The best part is we will all get a chance to find out. I think you are underestimating what teams will pay. I also think some of these blown losses could also see some coaching and staff issues. Getsy just has not used Fields how he should have. There is enough film of Fields doing enough to sell that. I think they could get a 1st maybe a 2nd. Or a couple 2nds.

Atlanta might not have been that good. Bears have won 4 out of the last 5. Arizona beat Philly this weekend so stuff happens. It's going to be fun to watch either way. The Bears own the 2024 offseason.

I could be wrong. I'm okay with that but I think there are believers in the NFL community in what Fields can be in the right offense.
If he gets more than a high 3rd, I'll stand corrected. But he won't. He's just another very athletic but mediocre QB who struggles under pressure in the NFL. He's going nowhere and has shown that time and time and again over 3 years. The list excuses is endless for QBs who never make it. I truly hope I'm wrong. He seems like a decent kid.

It's not so easy.

If he gets more than a high 3rd, I'll stand corrected. But he won't. He's just another very athletic but mediocre QB who struggles under pressure in the NFL. He's going nowhere and has shown that time and time and again over 3 years. The list excuses is endless for QBs who never make it. I truly hope I'm wrong. He seems like a decent kid.
Honestly knowing this franchise we're going into week one next year with Eberflus, Fields, and a new offense he will never figure out. The built in excuse of having to learn a new offense. D will play great. O will keep us around 7-8 wins. This is Bears football!

It's not so easy.

The Sam darnold trade sets the floor for Fields. If they trade him, they'll get a 2nd and 4th or better.

I think both of the top two QBs in the draft are flawed.
Caleb would be good in a spread offense which the Bears don't currently have the coaching or personnel to run. I think he will be a Kyler Murray level pro.

Maye fits more of the mold that Getsy likes and can run a pro style offense. Maye has never jumped off the tape to me. Maye was 12-10 in college vs DI opponents. 1-4 against ranked teams. Pro comp is a poor man's Justin Herbert.

JF has his issues, but very few QBs in this league really elevate their entire team. I think we're entering an era where a quality OC and good WRs make a bigger difference.

Let's try this the other way. Poof, you're the Bears GM. Regardless of what you think of Fields, what's the *minimum* compensation you need to trade down from the 1.01 pick?

And what's your ideal ratio of moving down vs. acquiring future draft capital? For instance, you could:

(a) Move down 2-3 spots, and still draft MJH Jr and probably pocket 2nd rounders in 2024 and 2025 and/or a quality starter for your trouble.

(b) Move down 10-12 spots probably picking up a 2025 first round pick and more, which still allows you both have your pick of 2nd tier QBs (e.g. Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, Michael Pennix, etc.) AND a top WR like malik nabers/rome odunze. OR

(c) Sell the 1.01 while keeping your own pick, forgo drafting a 1st round QB to roll with Fields, and probably acquire future 1st round picks for the next 3 years or something.

It's not so easy.

A good QB this year? In what world? He's partially responsible for 3 of the biggest blown leads in recent Bears history and hasn't been to the playoffs in his only 3 years. If you can't hold a players record over a 3 year period against him, what can you hold against him? The kid doesn't have it. He's solid when there's no pressure in his face, like last week. He's terrible when he does. If he was even a mediocre QB, the Bears are in the playoffs this year. His 3rd year! But he's not, so they aren't. It's easy to see if a guy has it after 3 years years. Look at Stroud. Fields has never even came close to that in 3 years. If the Bears don't move on from him, it will be more of the same. There's a reason the Bears won't get over a 3rd round pick for him. Iv he was legit, teams would offer much more. They won't.
The Bears had arguably the worst defense in the NFL before the Sweat trade (and the newer arrivals gelling, which was after Fields got hurt)

I'll agree they've looked like a playoff team in the second half of the season, but a lot of that is Fields, most of its the defense, but Fields has played well. He's shown marked improvement from year 1 to year 2, and year 2 to year 3. He's developing, even if its slower than you'd prefer.

"Look at Stroud" isn't a rational argument. He's having the best rookie QB season, maybe ever. He's already a top-8 NFL QB, but that's not a reasonable expectation, he's clearly special. That doesn't matter at all when compared to Fields, any more than it matters compared to say, Trevor Lawrence, who honestly hasn't been better than Fields, and is even more volatile week to week, but has a better HC/team.

I think he's been ok to good pretty much all year with a couple exceptions. He sucked against TB in week 2, though that felt like Getsy (or Eberflus) really drilled into him to stay in the pocket that game, as he had his fewest rushes and most sacks all season that week. He was also bad against the Browns, though they win if the WRs hold onto anything in that game. He was great against Atlanta this week, and I think he was great against Denver, but Getsy blew that game with awful play calling late, after the defense fell apart. Yes, Fields turnover swung the outcome, but dude went 28-35 for 335-4, that's not a failure on his end at all.

If the Bears choose to move on, they'll easily get more than a 3rd. You seen some of the starting QBs this season? I think at least a high 2nd, and possibly 2 2nds, maybe a late 1st if some of the rookies go really high or lose steam in the next couple months. I could see Las Vegas being really interested in Fields, same with Atlanta. He's a huge upgrade in both spots.

It's not so easy.

Honestly knowing this franchise we're going into week one next year with Eberflus, Fields, and a new offense he will never figure out. The built in excuse of having to learn a new offense. D will play great. O will keep us around 7-8 wins. This is Bears football!
Exactly

It's not so easy.

The Sam darnold trade sets the floor for Fields. If they trade him, they'll get a 2nd and 4th or better.
Not even related

Caleb would be good in a spread offense which the Bears don't currently have the coaching or personnel to run. I think he will be a Kyler Murray level pro.

Maye fits more of the mold that Getsy likes and can run a pro style offense. Maye has never jumped off the tape to me. Maye was 12-10 in college vs DI opponents. 1-4 against ranked teams. Pro comp is a poor man's Justin Herbert.

JF has his issues, but very few QBs in this league really elevate their entire team. I think we're entering an era where a quality OC and good WRs make a bigger difference.
What recent history makes you think that? It's never been more about having a QB than now.

What recent history makes you think that? It's never been more about having a QB than now.
Outside of Tom Brady (who played at 50% of his market rate) and Mahomes, no other QB has consistently won.

Both guys have HOF coaching and are way better when they have weapons.

Hurts, Allen, Burrow aren't playing well even with top talent around them.

Purdy is a system QB.

Tua isn't even good without Tyreek.

Point being I think a guy like MHJr makes JF better more than Someone like Caleb Williams makes Tyler Scott good.

Outside of Tom Brady (who played at 50% of his market rate) and Mahomes, no other QB has consistently won.

Purdy is a system QB.

Point being I think a guy like MHJr makes JF better more than Someone like Caleb Williams makes Tyler Scott good.
Teams can’t keep hitting the reset button at qb while letting the rest of the team go. As much of a generational talent the next qb is, he needs talent around him.

It's not so easy.

Not even related
You're right. Darnold was worse than awful throughout his career with the Jets. Fields has at least shown some playmaking ability. Poles should be shown the door if he lets Fields go for less than the Darnold trade.

It's not so easy.

Not even related
You're right. Darnold was worse than awful throughout his career with the Jets. Fields has at least shown some playmaking ability. Poles should be shown the door if he lets Fields go for less than the Darnold trade.
Bears should get at least a second and hopefully a contingent 2nd-4th the following year.

Purdy is a system QB.

Teams can’t keep hitting the reset button at qb while letting the rest of the team go. As much of a generational talent the next qb is, he needs talent around him.
It's why I'm currently a bit more excited about a package for the #1 vs taking a QB.

This team still has plenty of holes and either rookie is going to be a step back for the team next year. No promise either rookie is ever as good as Fields either

The way I'm looking at the offseason,
Bears Need...

Another 3down RB. Foreman is probably gone and was a healthy scratch multiple games this year.

4 WRs. Moore and Scott are the only two under contract. Need at minimum 2x starting caliber WRs.

TE - replace Tonyan

OL - need a better swing tackle, guard depth and starting center. I don't like Davis, but we're stuck with him.

DL - another starting edge.

DB - Replace Eddie Jackson.

By my count we need 5x new starters and 4-5x quality backups.

A trade back frees up some more draft capital to address these needs. If they take a QB at 1, we almost need to trade back from 10 to get another middle round pick.

If they clean house and get a high 2 from Atlanta or NYG or similar for Fields, I would think that is a fair swap and wouldn’t expect much better.

If they keep Fields and coaches, 1.1 from NYG would net like 1.5, 2.5, 25 1st probably.

Should be an interesting couple months for this whole organization.

If they clean house and get a high 2 from Atlanta or NYG or similar for Fields, I would think that is a fair swap and wouldn’t expect much better.

If they keep Fields and coaches, 1.1 from NYG would net like 1.5, 2.5, 25 1st probably.

I'd personally hate 1.05 because I feel after the draft combine that is going to be start of the second tier of guys.

Williams, Maye, Daniels and MHjr will go top 4.

I do like hearing the reports that this year's #1 should hold more value than last year's because Williams grades out higher than Young and Stroud.

I think two firsts and two seconds is the minimum. A lot depends on how far back they trade.

I'd personally hate 1.05 because I feel after the draft combine that is going to be start of the second tier of guys.

I do like hearing the reports that this year's #1 should hold more value than last year's because Williams grades out higher than Young and Stroud.

I think two firsts and two seconds is the minimum. A lot depends on how far back they trade.

When was the last time getting the QB who was the perceived QB1 overall from a given draft made the key difference to a team and turned it from laughingstock into Super Bowl contender? I can think of maybe 3 examples in the past 20 years: Eli, Burrow, and Cam Newton. Joe Cool is the only successful example that's relatively recent, and it's debatable how much of his success is due to drafting Jamaar Chase his 2nd year after a good but not awesome rookie year.

So for true franchise QB like Eli or Burrow, your hit rate with the 1.01 or even 1.02 pick is like 5%, maybe?

Then you have the other results:

Maybe 10%: Guys who were All-Pro caliber: Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, arguably RG3.

Another 15% ish: Guys who are quality starters and can succeed if given good coaching and weapons: Trevor Lawrence, Kyler Murray, Jared Goff.

For the rest, if you're lucky you have a serviceable but low-ceiling starters like Alex Smith. Most end up as replacement level starters at best like Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston, Sam Bradford, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, etc. ad infinitum.

Then compare the results with using a high pick on an elite weapon for your existing QB:

Tyreek Hill made Tua look awesome.
Sun God made Goff look good.
Ja'marr Chase made Burrow look awesome.
Davante Adams made Derek Carr look good.
OBJ made late career Eli look good.
AJ Green made Andy Dalton look good.
Randy Moss made Matt Cassel look good.

You give Fields a guy like MJH Jr. or Malik Nabers, all of a sudden you can pencil in Fields as for the Pro Bowl. Probably won't be an All-Pro, but he'll be a completely viable playoff QB in the Jared Goff model.

The delusion and fan guilt over Fields in here is extraordinary. None of that is happening.
We are all giving our opinion, just like you are. None of us know for sure how it plays out. I don’t think it makes anyone delusional to have a different opinion.
I just don't see anything of long-term value in Fields. There's never been a more perfect time to throw the bank at a guy like Harbaugh and bring in a new staff and QB with him. It's a great set-up for a new coach to walk into with the picks and cap space and turn it all around, which is why I don't think the Bears will do any of it and just continue further years of failure. The McCaskeys will overrule Poles on any huge moves and stay losers.

throw the bank at a guy like Harbaugh and bring in a new staff and QB with him. It's a great set-up for a new coach to walk into with the picks and cap space and turn it all around, which is why I don't think the Bears will do any of it and just continue further years of failure
You're right, it's the McCaskey way.
How much of the decision to keep or trade Fields comes down to the fact that Poles didn't draft him? Maybe he's not a Poles guy, sorry if this was covered earlier.

The delusion and fan guilt over Fields in here is extraordinary. None of that is happening.
We are all giving our opinion, just like you are. None of us know for sure how it plays out. I don’t think it makes anyone delusional to have a different opinion.
I just don't see anything of long-term value in Fields. There's never been a more perfect time to throw the bank at a guy like Harbaugh and bring in a new staff and QB with him. It's a great set-up for a new coach to walk into with the picks and cap space and turn it all around, which is why I don't think the Bears will do any of it and just continue further years of failure. The McCaskeys will overrule Poles on any huge moves and stay losers.
The Bears way would be to clean house, keep Fields, flounder in 24 and then trade him for peanuts after the season. But I am hopeful that Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles can help change that busted culture.

The Bears way would be to clean house, keep Fields, flounder in 24 and then trade him for peanuts after the season. But I am hopeful that Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles can help change that busted culture.
Lol truth!

Fields is not it. Holds the ball waaaaaayyyyyy too long. That ain’t changing.

THIS is the draft all of this rebuild has been leading up to. You get your pick of the QB and you add a high quality piece shortly after that. You didn’t do all the work to keep Fields.

When was the last time getting the QB who was the perceived QB1 overall from a given draft made the key difference to a team and turned it from laughingstock into Super Bowl contender? I can think of maybe 3 examples in the past 20 years: Eli, Burrow, and Cam Newton. Joe Cool is the only successful example that's relatively recent, and it's debatable how much of his success is due to drafting Jamaar Chase his 2nd year after a good but not awesome rookie year.

So for true franchise QB like Eli or Burrow, your hit rate with the 1.01 or even 1.02 pick is like 5%, maybe?

Then you have the other results:

Maybe 10%: Guys who were All-Pro caliber: Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, arguably RG3.

Another 15% ish: Guys who are quality starters and can succeed if given good coaching and weapons: Trevor Lawrence, Kyler Murray, Jared Goff.

For the rest, if you're lucky you have a serviceable but low-ceiling starters like Alex Smith. Most end up as replacement level starters at best like Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston, Sam Bradford, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, etc. ad infinitum.

Then compare the results with using a high pick on an elite weapon for your existing QB:

Tyreek Hill made Tua look awesome.
Sun God made Goff look good.
Ja'marr Chase made Burrow look awesome.
Davante Adams made Derek Carr look good.
OBJ made late career Eli look good.
AJ Green made Andy Dalton look good.
Randy Moss made Matt Cassel look good.

You give Fields a guy like MJH Jr. or Malik Nabers, all of a sudden you can pencil in Fields as for the Pro Bowl. Probably won't be an All-Pro, but he'll be a completely viable playoff QB in the Jared Goff model.
Of those on your list, only Chase, OBJ and Green really fit your definition of "high pick / elite weapon". The others were not particularly high picks and/or became elite or were already established NFL weapons when paired with these QBs. If you're going to worry about whiffing on a QB, you can also worry about whiffing on a WR.

Fields is not it. Holds the ball waaaaaayyyyyy too long. That ain’t changing.

THIS is the draft all of this rebuild has been leading up to. You get your pick of the QB and you add a high quality piece shortly after that. You didn’t do all the work to keep Fields.
Seems so simple, but Bears fans are so damaged from decades of losing that they don't know what to do. It's bizarre.

QB and a stud WR is the only play.

Purdy is a system QB.

With the advantage of rookie QB contracts they sure can - and often do

Users who are viewing this thread