What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (5 Viewers)

I think both of the top two QBs in the draft are flawed.
Caleb would be good in a spread offense which the Bears don't currently have the coaching or personnel to run. I think he will be a Kyler Murray level pro.

Maye fits more of the mold that Getsy likes and can run a pro style offense. Maye has never jumped off the tape to me. Maye was 12-10 in college vs DI opponents. 1-4 against ranked teams. Pro comp is a poor man's Justin Herbert.

JF has his issues, but very few QBs in this league really elevate their entire team. I think we're entering an era where a quality OC and good WRs make a bigger difference.
What recent history makes you think that? It's never been more about having a QB than now.
Outside of Tom Brady (who played at 50% of his market rate) and Mahomes, no other QB has consistently won.

Both guys have HOF coaching and are way better when they have weapons.

Hurts, Allen, Burrow aren't playing well even with top talent around them.

Purdy is a system QB.

Tua isn't even good without Tyreek.

Point being I think a guy like MHJr makes JF better more than Someone like Caleb Williams makes Tyler Scott good.
Teams can’t keep hitting the reset button at qb while letting the rest of the team go. As much of a generational talent the next qb is, he needs talent around him.
With the advantage of rookie QB contracts they sure can - and often do
What teams are continually hitting the reset button once they have a decent qb?

Poles already passed on Stroud. I'll put in on the McCaskeys for forcing Eberflus on him like the morons they are. If he passes again on Williams or Maye, he doesn't deserve to ever have a job in the NFL again. Amazes me how many dummies get jobs.

The agent is David Mulugheta. There will be no home team discounts. He is a "Super Agent" known for maximizing contracts. The Bears will have to pay to keep Fields.

Well "maximizing contracts" or not, there's only so much leverage that Fields and his agent have given his body of work and the fact the Bears own the 1.01 pick. Fields obviously won't get a "top of market" contract given those factors. It's not hard to imagine that Fields refuses a more modest contract now, and his play in 2024 is such he never gets an offer for starting QB money. It might be a "sign for Jimmy G money now, or sign for $4-5mm/year backup money in 2025" situation.

Right now he's 10-27 as a starter. He's thrown for over 300 yards ONCE. But he's a good team guy and runs really fast. What's the going rate for that kind of quarterback?

If you're strictly considering his running ability and "good team guy" aspects I'd say the recent comp for Fields would be Daniel Jones. But Jones had a solid late season push in the final year before his extension (which Fields has not) so I'd say he won't get Danny Dimes money.

If instead of his athletic profile, you're talking about the more holistic concerns about whether he was the "right guy" for the team to build around and whether he could actually win a Lombardi given sufficient tools, then the proper comp is 2018 post-AFC Championship game Blake Bortles (if the Bears keep him) or 2022 Jimmy G (who the Niners let go to be signed by the Raiders). Bortles contract AAV was around $18mm and JimmyG is $24mm.

One has to believe the Bears will quietly shop Fields during the offseason and see what return they can get for him. That will drive the decision about how to approach the 1.01 pick and if they trade down.
Fields' contract is such an overblown issue. 24 is his 4th year of the rookie deal. 25 is the 5th year option at approximately $20 million. 26 CAN be a franchise tag (approx $45 million). And if they're still unsure by 2026, the Bears are probably going to get a new GM/Front office anyway.
You're right. If they keep Fields they'll probably have several more shots at having the #1 overall pick anyway. Might as well keep him.

If they clean house and get a high 2 from Atlanta or NYG or similar for Fields, I would think that is a fair swap and wouldn’t expect much better.

If they keep Fields and coaches, 1.1 from NYG would net like 1.5, 2.5, 25 1st probably.

Should be an interesting couple months for this whole organization.
I'd personally hate 1.05 because I feel after the draft combine that is going to be start of the second tier of guys.

Williams, Maye, Daniels and MHjr will go top 4.

I do like hearing the reports that this year's #1 should hold more value than last year's because Williams grades out higher than Young and Stroud.

I think two firsts and two seconds is the minimum. A lot depends on how far back they trade.
They would get a haul for the pick, which should tell everyone exactly what they should do with it.

If they clean house and get a high 2 from Atlanta or NYG or similar for Fields, I would think that is a fair swap and wouldn’t expect much better.

If they keep Fields and coaches, 1.1 from NYG would net like 1.5, 2.5, 25 1st probably.

Should be an interesting couple months for this whole organization.
I'd personally hate 1.05 because I feel after the draft combine that is going to be start of the second tier of guys.

Williams, Maye, Daniels and MHjr will go top 4.

I do like hearing the reports that this year's #1 should hold more value than last year's because Williams grades out higher than Young and Stroud.

I think two firsts and two seconds is the minimum. A lot depends on how far back they trade.
They would get a haul for the pick, which should tell everyone exactly what they should do with it.
There we hauls for Bryce Young and Trey Lance as well.

Who might that team and player be?

Commanders or Patriots are the two most talked about.

I don't see the Pats doing that, though.

That said, it only takes one. It's like every year that free agent that gets signed where everybody does a double-take and goes "What?"

Yep.

Y'all think other teams don't remember those two deals?

Who exactly is going to trade up and give Chicago this massive haul in 2024?
Someone who wants this year’s version of a generational talent.
Washington perhaps? New owners want to show their fans they are all in. Calib W will be the pick.

That said, it only takes one. It's like every year that free agent that gets signed where everybody does a double-take and goes "What?"
Washington is interesting because I believe that, if Snyder were still the owner, they would trade up (even just from #2) to take local kid Williams. I have no idea what the new regime will look like.

And, in any case, trading from #2 to #1 isn't going to cost nearly what coming in from #9 or whatever would.

Yep.

Washington perhaps? New owners want to show their fans they are all in. Calib W will be the pick.
You think Caleb Williams is a generational talent?

Yep.

WAS, NWE, LAV, ATL and PIT are all QB needy. MIN, TAM and SEA will be looking. The player will obviously be a QB and likely one of Williams, Maye, or Daniels depending on who's the flavor of the month after the combine.

Yep.

WAS, NWE, LAV, ATL and PIT are all QB needy. MIN, TAM and SEA will be looking. The player will obviously be a QB and likely one of Williams, Maye, or Daniels depending on who's the flavor of the month after the combine.
Raiders will take a swing on someone. Now we can add Denver to the list as well.

NYG are in play too.

I think Tampa runs it back with Baker again.

The delusion and fan guilt over Fields in here is extraordinary. None of that is happening.
We are all giving our opinion, just like you are. None of us know for sure how it plays out. I don’t think it makes anyone delusional to have a different opinion.
I just don't see anything of long-term value in Fields. There's never been a more perfect time to throw the bank at a guy like Harbaugh and bring in a new staff and QB with him. It's a great set-up for a new coach to walk into with the picks and cap space and turn it all around, which is why I don't think the Bears will do any of it and just continue further years of failure. The McCaskeys will overrule Poles on any huge moves and stay losers.
I certainly understand this take, and it makes some sense if you can get Harbaugh and if you believe Williams, or one of the other quarterbacks coming out of college are indeed going to be elite. I’m not confident in either of those things. No matter what, it will be an interesting offseason for Bears fans.

Since last time I checked in around here...
-Team managed to secure the #1 pick again except this time they stole it from Carolina, truly hope they think long and hard about who to draft, they could also trade down and stack a lot of picks to fill this team up with a lot of talent.

-The Bears are 1 win away from an 8-9 season which might not sound good but when you look at where they started and where they are finishing, big accomplishment in my book. Reminds of when Miami started 0-7, finished like 6-10 and had a winning record the 2nd half of the season after stripping it bare, sign of things to come for Miami over the last several seasons.

Believe it or not Miami went 10-7, 9-8, missed the Playoffs both seasons and then went 9-8 last year and 11-5 so far this season. 4 years in a row we have produced a winning record although we have no Playoff victories to show for any of it. We were much worse prior to the last several years.

I think you all have a strong opportunity to change the arc of the franchise for years to come. Somebody is going to want that #1 pick badly that is still going to be pretty average after they take a QB that high, wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger again

What do you do with Eberflus? ...however that is spelled and pronounced.
I know most of you wanted him long gone by the middle to late part of October, how about now?

I know most of you wanted him long gone by the middle to late part of October, how about now?

Still want him gone. Yea he turned the defense around when he took over play calling mid season, and has also kept the locker room together. But the team looked totally unprepared to play in the beginning of the year. His coordinators have also been a disaster. Give me Harbaugh!

Yep.

You think Caleb Williams is a generational talent?
No, but I have seen a lot of references to him as one. I have a lot of questions after watching his performances vs ND and Utah.

-Team managed to secure the #1 pick again except this time they stole it from Carolina, truly hope they think long and hard about who to draft, they could also trade down and stack a lot of picks to fill this team up with a lot of talent.

-The Bears are 1 win away from an 8-9 season which might not sound good but when you look at where they started and where they are finishing, big accomplishment in my book. Reminds of when Miami started 0-7, finished like 6-10 and had a winning record the 2nd half of the season after stripping it bare, sign of things to come for Miami over the last several seasons.

Believe it or not Miami went 10-7, 9-8, missed the Playoffs both seasons and then went 9-8 last year and 11-5 so far this season. 4 years in a row we have produced a winning record although we have no Playoff victories to show for any of it. We were much worse prior to the last several years.

I think you all have a strong opportunity to change the arc of the franchise for years to come. Somebody is going to want that #1 pick badly that is still going to be pretty average after they take a QB that high, wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger again

I think he’s staying, the OC is up in the air. If they beat Green Bay, it’s a no-brainer. The Chi-GB game Sunday is one of the more interesting Bears games in a while, with what’s at stake for both teams.

Washington is interesting because I believe that, if Snyder were still the owner, they would trade up (even just from #2) to take local kid Williams. I have no idea what the new regime will look like.

And, in any case, trading from #2 to #1 isn't going to cost nearly what coming in from #9 or whatever would.
IMO even if the Bears dropped one spot and took Harrison and got something next year, it’s a win.

The Bears had 3 historic meltdowns in the 4th quarter this year. Like crunched the numbers, the leads and time remaining in those games was at 0.3% odds of losing all three and we did it.

I put about 40% on Flus, 40% Getsy and 20% on JF.

So on one hand that statistic is unacceptable and no coach should survive that. On the other hand, this team was very close to being a 10-11 win team after starting 0-3.

Bears were not prepared for the season. I hope Flus and Poles learned something there.

I'd take Harbaugh if he's interested, but it sounds like the Chargers have the inside track right now. If no Harbaugh, I can at least live with Flus for one more year as long as he gets a new OC. This is coming from someone who wanted Flus fired week 4.

Just watched some footage of Maye and now I want him. Move one spot back with Wash, deal Fields, draft Maye at 2. Harbaugh plus Maye equals dynasty.

Man I'm going to annoy the hell out of myself this off-season.

Just watched some footage of Maye and now I want him. Move one spot back with Wash, deal Fields, draft Maye at 2. Harbaugh plus Maye equals dynasty.

Watch the late season games and not the highlights. He feasted against crap defense early in the season and then folded in late season against much better D. The game against NC State was a perfect example.

Watch the late season games and not the highlights. He feasted against crap defense early in the season and then folded in late season against much better D. The game against NC State was a perfect example.
Yeah, I want no part of Maye. I'd sooner draft Daniels over him. Maybe a few other qbs as well.
After Chicago got the first pick, I really started looking closely at the qbs. The more I see of Maye, the less I want him on this team.

It's weird how we get the shiny watch syndrome when it comes to NFL rookie QBs. If we could have an unbiased AI program that intelligently evaluates talent I'd be willing to bet Fields might even rate higher then Amy of these newcomers. Imo

Fields has set the bar so low for what's viewed as success for him. 6 games since returning from injury. 5 passing TDs and 3 INTs and a little over 200yds per game. Seen as some huge run. It's just pitiful.
That 6 game stretch is: 202.2 passing yards per game, 65.6 rushing yards per game. That's 267.8 yards per game, which is 4,553 over the course of a season. Also, a 23-9 TD/INT ratio.

Using his full season averages you'd have: 214.2 passing yards per game, 53.1 rushing yards per game. That's 267.3 yards per game, or 4,544 over the course of the season. Also, a 30-12 TD/INT ratio.

The huge run started with the Denver game. The Bears have won 5 of Fields last 7 games, and the 2 losses were to Detroit, and Cleveland (road games against playoff teams) and they could have won both, especially Cleveland if WRs held onto the ball. I'm not saying Fields has been some elite QB during that, but he's been solid for the majority of it.

I don't know why you completely ignore the rushing aspect of Fields game. Do you do that for Lamar Jackson too?

Fields has been relatively consistent this season, the difference has been the defense has gone from laughingstock to one of the best in the league over the last 5 weeks. Which is where the win/loss difference comes from. If the defense played at this level all season (and Fields stayed healthy) the Bears would have made the playoffs and would probably have 9-10 wins right now.

Fields has set the bar so low for what's viewed as success for him. 6 games since returning from injury. 5 passing TDs and 3 INTs and a little over 200yds per game. Seen as some huge run. It's just pitiful.
I agree.

He has for sure improved and he puts in the work so should continue to improve. But so far his major area of improvement is really cutting down on the turnovers, meager improvement as a passer.

I truly think people who play fantasy football are blinded by his rushing production. Just not doing much as a passer while playing a lot of losing football is hard for me to think the Bears think this is the guy they want to build around and extend when they got other viable options. And really the major reason the team is started to win a little is because he cut down on the turnovers and they are winning the turnover margin battle decisively. Which again I'd give him credit for improvement but he's not wowing anyone in the passing game.

As for the Bears fans chanting they want Fields I just got to say those fans just don't know what a real franchise QB looks like because most of them are not old enough to have cheered for Sid Luckman and that's part of why the bar is so low.

I agree.

He has for sure improved and he puts in the work so should continue to improve. But so far his major area of improvement is really cutting down on the turnovers, meager improvement as a passer.

I truly think people who play fantasy football are blinded by his rushing production. Just not doing much as a passer while playing a lot of losing football is hard for me to think the Bears think this is the guy they want to build around and extend when they got other viable options. And really the major reason the team is started to win a little is because he cut down on the turnovers and they are winning the turnover margin battle decisively. Which again I'd give him credit for improvement but he's not wowing anyone in the passing game.

As for the Bears fans chanting they want Fields I just got to say those fans just don't know what a real franchise QB looks like because most of them are not old enough to have cheered for Sid Luckman and that's part of why the bar is so low.
Speaking of a low bar - Jordan Love’s season would be the best in Bears history.

I agree.

This is a man with common sense

I agree.

Speaking of a low bar - Jordan Love’s season would be the best in Bears history.
Ain't that some ****

Panthers scored a total of zero points in their final 2 games. Scored 30 on the Packers. Bears have a grand total of 6 at the half. Looks to be yet another embarrassing performance against the Packers. What a joke

I've known it for a month now but seeing how much better Love is than Fields is astounding. He has total command of his offense. Extremely poised in the pocket.

I've known it for a month now but seeing how much better Love is than Fields is astounding. He has total command of his offense. Extremely poised in the pocket.
You don't hear anyone crying about how Love has no one to throw to either. I don't even know any of those guys.
Yup, I was arguing this very point last week with a buddy in my FF league. Love has nothing close to a DJ Moore to throw to.

Users who are viewing this thread