What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Choosing redraft draft order (1 Viewer)

Any commishes out there have a great way to randomly select a draft order for a local league?
Well it’s too late to do this for this season, but what we do is randomly assign every owner an NBA team before the NBA season. Our owners then get to pick what draft slot they want based on the most wins by their NBA team. For example the owner that had Utah got his first choice of what draft slot he wanted, the owner that had the Suns got the second choice, etc, etc.

Its just as random was any other way and give a you an NBA team to pull for.

Well it’s too late to do this for this season, but what we do is randomly assign every owner an NBA team before the NBA season. Our owners then get to pick what draft slot they want based on the most wins by their NBA team. For example the owner that had Utah got his first choice of what draft slot he wanted, the owner that had the Suns got the second choice, etc, etc.

This is cool. Prior to last year, our commish would put together a NCAA March Madness bracket just for the folks in our league. The best bracket at the end would get to pick their draft position first, second best bracket, etc. Still largely luck, but you did have some influence on what pick you’d end up getting. 

Any commishes out there have a great way to randomly select a draft order for a local league?
I have a crown royal velveteen bag - 12 poker chips in it, each has a team name on it. Last year‘s winner pulls the first chip.

that person walks to the draft board and chooses their draft position, and then they reach into a bowl and pull out a folded piece of paper that has either a one, two, or a three on it which is their division.

that person then pulls the next name, and so on. 

Best way to do it is like joey said but with a twist. 

Put the names in a hat and come up with an order.  Owners then get to pick their spot rather than the order simply being what is picked out of the hat. 

That is the best way to do it. 
“ Kentucky derby style“

My league voted that in six years ago, and we love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are websites that'll randonly generate the results and email it to each party, so there's no possible cheating.

used this for years.

there are websites that'll randonly generate the results and email it to each party, so there's no possible cheating.

used this for years.
We used to do that for my online league. Just find a randomizer & it emails everyone simultaneously. Easy. 

But for in-person draft it’s more fun to pull names out of a hat. 

Put the names in a hat and come up with an order.  Owners then get to pick their spot rather than the order simply being what is picked out of the hat. 

We do this but using cards.....Ace gets first choice then in number order to queen getting stuck with the draft spot left

I have also had it where you use an auction for the first 5 rounds and then go to snake to conclude the draft.  Whoever has the most money left  after the auction gets first choice etc.  Coin flip (or card draw) for ties

Pieces of paper with team names in a hat. 
pull them out with witnesses. 
old school. 
We do that but also double blind it. We have one “hat” with the positions and another with the names. They get shuffled and one person draws a draft position, another person draws the name. 

We do that but also double blind it. We have one “hat” with the positions and another with the names. They get shuffled and one person draws a draft position, another person draws the name. 
lol - reminds me of my 1st draft. We threw darts & closest to the bullseye shuffled & dealt the cards, A-Q. 

Became a running joke for years, as we kept exaggerating the steps to add push-ups, racing around the block, eating hot peppers, etc. 

Red solo cups with the draft number on the bottom. Cover the number with duct tape.

Ping pong balls with each person’s name on it.

Randomize the cups. Play beer pong.

Name that ends up in the cup, that’s their draft position.

In the past we have done a pre draft golf outing....winner gets first pick, etc.....switched it up to a poker night a few times...cornhole tourney a couple times.....usually involve families and stuff and a reason to get together and have a few cold ones, bbq, etc before the actual draft...

Dr. Octopus said:

This is awesome.  So you'd give out the teams in November-ish and assume everyone would be back next year?  1 NBA team per owner? 

I guess you could also just do it with NFL teams if your league isn't into basketball, and just give them out September 1st.

Gally said:
We once had someone suggest we draw cards to figure out the order to draw cards.
I thought my league-mates were the only ones. 

They seriously voted this method of selecting draft order in about five years ago.

We have a open top trophy for the champion. For the draft everyone has a ping pong ball and we pass the trophy around drawing each pick of the draft starting with Mr. Irrelavent going up to #1 overall. After each round we all throw the ping-pong balls back at the trophy attempting to make it into the trophy or hit the holder with them. 

This is awesome.  So you'd give out the teams in November-ish and assume everyone would be back next year?  1 NBA team per owner? 

I guess you could also just do it with NFL teams if your league isn't into basketball, and just give them out September 1st.
Yes, it’s a long standing “local” league of my college friends so there really hasn’t been much turnover - but if so the new owner would just get the old owners NBA team.

And sure you could do with any sport that fits into the timeframe (baseball wouldn’t work).

I thought my league-mates were the only ones. 

They seriously voted this method of selecting draft order in about five years ago.
We eventually just went with the reverse order from the previous year (we don't do playoffs).  So last place picks first card.....etc.  

The person that suggested the pick cards to pick cards is mercilessly mocked every year as we draw for draft spot.  

joey said:
Pieces of paper with team names in a hat. 
pull them out with witnesses. 
old school. 

Ghost Rider said:

I've done this both ways and like them both.

In my work league I used to put the names on a piece of paper and also the numbers.  Would draw them separately and place them together.  Then open up all the numbers.  Then open up all the names 10 to 1.

Another twist we did in one of my redraft leagues for a few years was the two participants from the championship the previous year "drafted" their divisions, playground style.

We eventually just went with the reverse order from the previous year (we don't do playoffs).  So last place picks first card.....etc. 
Someone proposed this one year & I wouldn’t even put it up to vote. I am a big believer in the “fresh start“ aspect of re-draft fantasy football.

Plus, I’ve spent years incentivizing people not giving up on the season. Rewarding the worst team with the first pick does the opposite of that & encourages tanking.

ETA - oh, wait - draws 1st card. Ok yeah that’s fine. lol

Someone proposed this one year & I wouldn’t even put it up to vote. I am a big believer in the “fresh start“ aspect of re-draft fantasy football.

Plus, I’ve spent years incentivizing people not giving up on the season. Rewarding the worst team with the first pick does the opposite of that & encourages tanking.

ETA - oh, wait - draws 1st card. Ok yeah that’s fine. lol
I see you realized that it was only for card picking.  I agree that in redraft the draft order should be random because of no carryover.  

I see you realized that it was only for card picking.  I agree that in redraft the draft order should be random because of no carryover.  
Yeah, almost every year someone in my league (usually the loser) suggests that last place should get 1st pick & everyone boos them. I misread initially and got triggered. lol 

it’s become a running joke at this point t. 

Users who are viewing this thread