What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris (1 Viewer)

On SSOG's dynasty site the non-SSOG writer has Chris Johnson now ranked at #27. Behind Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis and some others.

:popcorn:

A lot of people putting Johnson's lack of production on the O-line. I'm surprised this Playbook analysis by Baldinger hasn't been posted before and apologies if it has.

It's a good "before and after" illustration of similar plays run against the same Houston team in 2011 and 2009. Obviously only three data points, but how is this the O-line's fault that Johnson can't find running room?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d823894d4/Playbook-Colts-vs-Titans

ETA: Only the first 1:30 of the video is relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet they're blocking better for Ringer. Odd.
Why does everyone keep saying that Ringer is running better than Johnson? They've both had a long run of 25 yards. If you remove that run for each of them, Johnson is averaging 2.6 ypc and Ringer is averaging 2.8 ypc. They've both been terrible.

Why does everyone keep saying that Ringer is running better than Johnson? They've both had a long run of 25 yards. If you remove that run for each of them, Johnson is averaging 2.6 ypc and Ringer is averaging 2.8 ypc. They've both been terrible.
well, 2.8 is a bigger number than 2.6.Ringer also hasnt had anywhere near the attempts.That'll change this week. Chaos in TEN when Ringer takes control.

well, 2.8 is a bigger number than 2.6.Ringer also hasnt had anywhere near the attempts.That'll change this week. Chaos in TEN when Ringer takes control.
Takes control? OK.

Takes control? OK.
Ya, takes control.

Takes control? OK.
Good god. Why is it so hard to believe that a guy that has a lot to prove (Ringer) will outproduce a guy who's clearly either (A. a giant POS who doesn't care or (B. lost some burst at 26 years old. No one knows what will happen, but it seems logical to me. Just defending Johnson and saying he might eventually produce because you own him is asinine.

Someone already said it: When a team is dead last in rushing yardage and then it turns into a RBBC on top of that, what's the point in starting either one of them? After losing J.Charles and now this....I'm forced to go with someone like Jackie Battle as my RB1. Totally sucks. Thanks CJ.

Takes control? OK.
Good god. Why is it so hard to believe that a guy that has a lot to prove (Ringer) will outproduce a guy who's clearly either (A. a giant POS who doesn't care or (B. lost some burst at 26 years old. No one knows what will happen, but it seems logical to me. Just defending Johnson and saying he might eventually produce because you own him is asinine.
Or a guy making trolling posts about a back up RB to a guy who clearly is having a bad season...but is clearly a much more talented RB. Javon Ringer taking over. Ok.Sheesh.This place reeks of Trolls now.

it wouldnt be far-fetched at all if you have watched these 2 play. ringer has played better. cj just runs into the line and falls over. i dont know why he isnt making cuts, its weird.

Or a guy making trolling posts about a back up RB to a guy who clearly is having a bad season...but is clearly a much more talented RB. Javon Ringer taking over. Ok.Sheesh.This place reeks of Trolls now.
Trolling?We'll talk in a week or two and see the rush counts.If I'm right, I expect an apology.If I'm wrong, I'll have no problem saying I was wrong.

Someone already said it: When a team is dead last in rushing yardage and then it turns into a RBBC on top of that, what's the point in starting either one of them? After losing J.Charles and now this....I'm forced to go with someone like Jackie Battle as my RB1. Totally sucks. Thanks CJ.
It's simple, Ringer hasn't been given enough opportunity to see if the running game will continue to suck if he is the primary back vs. CJNoPlay

it wouldnt be far-fetched at all if you have watched these 2 play. ringer has played better. cj just runs into the line and falls over. i dont know why he isnt making cuts, its weird.
numerous NFL analysts (guys that watch coaches tape) have said the same thing - not sure what the troll comment is for.

It's simple, Ringer hasn't been given enough opportunity to see if the running game will continue to suck if he is the primary back vs. CJNoPlay
I agree, but I don't think Ringer will get that opportunity, even with good play. CJ isn't going to reverse this slump (which is exactly what Tennessee expects to see from a healthy player making big money) while playing out of rhythem, occasional snaps and riding pine. On the flip side, Ringer hasn't proven capable of carrying a full load. The 14 rushing attempts Ringer made against the Colts were the most he's ever gotten in one game. Before that the most he had was 10. I think you're going to continuue seeing an even split until either CJ rebounds, gets hurt or Ringer puts up some explosive/phenominal numbers consistantly with his limited number of touches.

He is at the bottom of my RB list and my RBs aren't good. He just doesn't seem to have any drive or interest in being a RB and I would like to be competitive with my team so I am done starting him.

OL, play calling, passion...I don't care what the problem is, it appears nothing is going to change anytime soon so trying to figure out the "why" of his failure unless you are in a keeper league and considering trading him seems like a waste of time. He isn't worth starting right now so unless you have no other options, I think you just have to use a different player.

I agree, but I don't think Ringer will get that opportunity, even with good play. CJ isn't going to reverse this slump (which is exactly what Tennessee expects to see from a healthy player making big money) while playing out of rhythem, occasional snaps and riding pine. On the flip side, Ringer hasn't proven capable of carrying a full load. The 14 rushing attempts Ringer made against the Colts were the most he's ever gotten in one game. Before that the most he had was 10. I think you're going to continuue seeing an even split until either CJ rebounds, gets hurt or Ringer puts up some explosive/phenominal numbers consistantly with his limited number of touches.
He's already getting that opportunity. TEN wants to make the playoffs - they're not going to sit on their hands giving CJ one crappy run after another to try and get into "rhythm." Ringer is getting it done, CJ isn't, the change is imminent.

He's already getting that opportunity. TEN wants to make the playoffs - they're not going to sit on their hands giving CJ one crappy run after another to try and get into "rhythm." Ringer is getting it done, CJ isn't, the change is imminent.
this.

...they're not going to sit on their hands giving CJ one crappy run after another to try and get into "rhythm."
Sure they are. This was the last Tenn series of the 3rd quarter from last weeks game:1-P.McAfee kicks 73 yards from IND 35 to TEN -8. 83-M.Mariani, Touchback.

1-10-TEN 20 (7:41) 28-C.Johnson left tackle to TEN 22 for 2 yards (50-P.Wheeler).

2-8-TEN 22 (7:09) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass short left to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 25 for 3 yards (51-P.Angerer).

3-5-TEN 25 (6:22) (Shotgun) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass short right to 85-N.Washington to TEN 34 for 9 yards (23-T.Johnson; 41-A.Bethea).

1-10-TEN 34 (5:49) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass short right to 45-A.Hall to TEN 40 for 6 yards (30-D.Caldwell).

2-4-TEN 40 (5:12) 28-C.Johnson left end to TEN 39 for -1 yards (51-P.Angerer).

3-5-TEN 39 (4:35) PENALTY on IND-99-A.Johnson, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at TEN 39 - No Play.

1-10-TEN 44 (4:21) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete deep left to 85-N.Washington (25-J.Powers).

2-10-TEN 44 (4:15) 28-C.Johnson left tackle to 50 for 6 yards (53-K.Conner).

3-4- (3:35) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass short right to 87-L.Hawkins to IND 42 for 8 yards (21-K.Thomas). PENALTY on TEN-28-C.Johnson, Chop Block, 15 yards, enforced at 50 - No Play.

3-19-TEN 35 (3:03) (Shotgun) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass short middle to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 45 for 10 yards (23-T.Johnson).

4-9-TEN 45 (2:23) (Punt formation) 6-B.Kern punts 55 yards to end zone, Center-58-K.Amato, Touchback.

The only time Ringer played a whole series was to run down the clock down near the 2 minute warning at the end of the game.

The only time Ringer played a whole series was to run down the clock down near the 2 minute warning at the end of the game.
Wrrrong. The Titans had three possessions in the fourth quarter, and Ringer was the RB for every single play, with the exception of when he tapped out to get a breather. Johnson was clearly pulled for Ringer for the last quarter of the game, I think that chop block penalty Johnson had was the final straw. Game logs are cool, but watching the game is better.

Just because I cut and pasted some game log doesn't mean I didnt watch the game. I did. I just missed that first series of the 4th quarter. My bad. But I don't really believe Ringer needed a breather after just one play to start that second series (at least you should hope he doesn't if he's the bellcow). And that whole 3rd series wasn't even a minute long, man. I don't really call that taking over, especially with a 17 point lead. That's pretty much garbage time right there.

I'm all for seeing Ringer take all the snaps. I'd love to see CJ sulking on the bench. I just don't think it's going to happen. If I see Ringer playing full series throughout te whole game against Cincy then maybe I'll start believing what you believe, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

I wonder if there's room for some serious discussion on Chris Johnson in this thread amongst the legitimate frustration from fantasy owners.I haven't been fortunate, or unfortunate, enough to watch him play. He has a longer track record of success than one year, he hasn't had enough carries to wear down yet, and he hasn't had a major injury since his success. So we know it's not a lack of talent, an injury or just wearing down.So to those that have actually watched him play and not just seen the pitiful box scores like I have, what is it?I know many will say that he got paid, and he's just mailing it in, but I was hoping for something more concrete. Are the holes no there for him like they were last year? Is he constantly being met in the backfield? Are they misusing him such as making it obvious where he is going to run and not getting him the ball in space? Is he "dancing" more than last year?Hoping for some insight and/or ray of hope beyond the frustration of fellow owners.
The Titans are 2nd to last in Rushing Attempts (158 for TEN, 273 for HOU) and dead last in Rushing Yards (482 for TEN, 1259 for PHI). If Tennessee were in the middle of the pack in these two categories then you could make an argument on the performance of Johnson alone. However, because of these numbers you have to allow for an argument that points to playcalling causing a lack of opportunity for Johnson.I also think that Chris Palmer (Offensive Coordinator) is no Mike Heimerdinger. Palmer was the head coach of the Browns for the first two years of the new teams history and was fired after a 5-27 record. He was also fired as the offensive coordinator in Houston under Capers in week 2 for poor offensive production. If Bud Adams put Palmer in this role it would not surprise me as I completely disagree with his decision to fire Fischer. I like Munchak's experience as a former Oiler Guard for 12 years (elected to 9 Pro Bowls as well as numerous other accolades) and I don't understand how he could have chosen Palmer for this role (if he had any say in it at all).

there is a reason why they are at the bottom in rushing attempts. It's obvious - why continue to do something that isn't working?

there is a reason why they are at the bottom in rushing attempts. It's obvious - why continue to do something that isn't working?
Because there isn't a head coach in the NFL who is going to say, "Looks like we're having trouble running the ball so let's just not run at all." The solution to the problem is fixing the problem, not to stop trying.

I wonder if there's room for some serious discussion on Chris Johnson in this thread amongst the legitimate frustration from fantasy owners.I haven't been fortunate, or unfortunate, enough to watch him play. He has a longer track record of success than one year, he hasn't had enough carries to wear down yet, and he hasn't had a major injury since his success. So we know it's not a lack of talent, an injury or just wearing down.So to those that have actually watched him play and not just seen the pitiful box scores like I have, what is it?I know many will say that he got paid, and he's just mailing it in, but I was hoping for something more concrete. Are the holes no there for him like they were last year? Is he constantly being met in the backfield? Are they misusing him such as making it obvious where he is going to run and not getting him the ball in space? Is he "dancing" more than last year?Hoping for some insight and/or ray of hope beyond the frustration of fellow owners.
The Titans are 2nd to last in Rushing Attempts (158 for TEN, 273 for HOU) and dead last in Rushing Yards (482 for TEN, 1259 for PHI). If Tennessee were in the middle of the pack in these two categories then you could make an argument on the performance of Johnson alone. However, because of these numbers you have to allow for an argument that points to playcalling causing a lack of opportunity for Johnson.I also think that Chris Palmer (Offensive Coordinator) is no Mike Heimerdinger. Palmer was the head coach of the Browns for the first two years of the new teams history and was fired after a 5-27 record. He was also fired as the offensive coordinator in Houston under Capers in week 2 for poor offensive production. If Bud Adams put Palmer in this role it would not surprise me as I completely disagree with his decision to fire Fischer. I like Munchak's experience as a former Oiler Guard for 12 years (elected to 9 Pro Bowls as well as numerous other accolades) and I don't understand how he could have chosen Palmer for this role (if he had any say in it at all).
Palmer is there for their young QB. Possibly he should be the QB coach not the OC. Heimerdinger was masterful at hiding lesser talents and somehow getting production out of them. Some things were exposed and would have under any OC that wasn't the creative mind he was.I think that right now ya gotta figure Oiler/Titan great Bruce Matthews is either gone or they'll bring in some old legend of a OL coach to help him. They can't trust him to coach the OL in 2012 by himself. That seed needs to be planted so there's no crying about it in the offseason. He's loved in TEN, but the line didn't just suddenly stink. Bruce almost has to be the scapegoat if not the reason. Munchak clearly can't coach the OL and manage the team. Again, a better OL coach is necessary.The Tackles are still very good and plenty young. Some horrible plays are masked by some plays where they are still beasts knocking someone down or knocking someone so far away from the play it just makes ya smile. Anyone on the interior is disposable in free agency. Maybe they need Matthews to help evaluate. I'd like to think Bruce N Mike can evaluate free agent OL very well. First things first is getting the owner to divvy out some money so they can go OL shopping in free agency. Centers and Guards are readily available in most every NFL draft as it's customary to begin to take them in later rounds. Maybe they need to get to the GM and simply grab the best in the first round despite what round they usually go in. Linebackers are an enormous need-IMO they could cut em' all. I doubt they have enough FA money or picks to cure both OL and LB. CJs poor performance indicates to me that it has to be now on the OL. A blocking WR or better coach for teaching WRs to block is necessary too. Offer Hines Ward player like money to coach the WRs in 2012? If they block half as good as him, Titans are fine.It's possible that Hall is a step slow now and needs to be replaced. A dear FB, underrated contributor, but it might be time to land the best FB. That can usually be done in the 7th round so just a commitment to actually draft one is needed. Very doable. Ya can't, just can't, pretend CJ doesn't exist and plan for Ringer in 2012. No one, not even ADP, has the home run ability of CJ. He's in the lower tier of NFL RBs if they choose some grind it out mode offense, so they have to have a top OL that can blow open some big holes for him to fly through. ADP is the complete package, CJ isn't. The guy can fly though so work with that. Gotta remove any doubt or reservations about the blocking- no matter how they do it. That's gotta be the 2012 offseason plan

my offer of battle and jordy for johnson was rejected. guy wanted nicks instead of nelsol. laughable
With all due respect your offer is garbage.CJ is playing like garbage through 8 games. Your fishing with that offer. If you own CJ you can't make a good trade right now. He is a hold. If you accept deals like the one above...your desperate,Now I don't know if your in a dynasty or not.....but it does not matter with that kind of offer.

my offer of battle and jordy for johnson was rejected. guy wanted nicks instead of nelsol. laughable
With all due respect your offer is garbage.CJ is playing like garbage through 8 games. Your fishing with that offer. If you own CJ you can't make a good trade right now. He is a hold. If you accept deals like the one above...your desperate,Now I don't know if your in a dynasty or not.....but it does not matter with that kind of offer.
im trying to buy low. its not a. garbage offer cuz im not willing to give up more than that. he rejected which is fine and i move on. the fact that he though id give him nicks is. the laughable part

im trying to buy low. its not a. garbage offer cuz im not willing to give up more than that. he rejected which is fine and i move on. the fact that he though id give him nicks is. the laughable part
Is it a dynasty?If it is....you would easily give Nicks if CJ goes right back to being a RB1....which very well may happen as early as this year or next if he decides to actually play. So why is a hurt Nicks who has had a very up and down season this year laughable for a guy who for 3 straight seasons has been a top 10 RB in PPR. Because CJ has stunk for 8 games after holding out?Again I get your buying low.....but for an owner to counter for an actual talent for another talent is not laughable at this point.Everyone is acting as though CJ is done, toast and will never be a good player again.Sorry I am not buying that at all. Despite the obvious appearance he has shut down after getting his big payday.

Is it a dynasty?If it is....you would easily give Nicks if CJ goes right back to being a RB1....which very well may happen as early as this year or next if he decides to actually play. So why is a hurt Nicks who has had a very up and down season this year laughable for a guy who for 3 straight seasons has been a top 10 RB in PPR. Because CJ has stunk for 8 games after holding out?Again I get your buying low.....but for an owner to counter for an actual talent for another talent is not laughable at this point.Everyone is acting as though CJ is done, toast and will never be a good player again.Sorry I am not buying that at all. Despite the obvious appearance he has shut down after getting his big payday.
its a redraft. ill keep an injured nicks over a dreadful johnson for this year. in a dynasty i agree with you

Just received Nicks and gave Johnson this week in a redraft. Now CJ can return to being his old self.

Damn. Watching that as a CJ owner is amazingly depressing.
That season he was speedy, shifty and creative. This year he's just running the play and going down.
Yeah I agree, he looks like he has no interest in sticking his nose in there this season.Can't really make any excuses for the guy, he runs (using that term loosely, more like "dances and folds") like he has no heart. It must be hard to remain angry/hungry when you're a multimillionaire.

That season he was speedy, shifty and creative. This year he's just running the play and going down.
Yeah I agree, he looks like he has no interest in sticking his nose in there this season.Can't really make any excuses for the guy, he runs (using that term loosely, more like "dances and folds") like he has no heart. It must be hard to remain angry/hungry when you're a multimillionaire.
I'm having a hard time buying this reasoning for his struggles. Guys at this level have so much pride. With everybody telling him how much he sucks, you would think he would have kicked it into high gear. I think he's got something going on with his knees or something that is preventing him from making the cuts that he used to. He may have the same breakaway speed, but he doesn't appear to have the elusiveness. Smells of an injury.

Ringer must be licking his chops right now...

Chance to prove himself and possibly find payday elsewhere.

I'm having a hard time buying this reasoning for his struggles. Guys at this level have so much pride. With everybody telling him how much he sucks, you would think he would have kicked it into high gear. I think he's got something going on with his knees or something that is preventing him from making the cuts that he used to. He may have the same breakaway speed, but he doesn't appear to have the elusiveness. Smells of an injury.
I agree with this. I don't believe that the guy is that heartless and has so little pride in his profession to say that now that I got paid, I can take it easy the rest of my career, especially at young age of 26. People play sports because they find it fun and rewarding, and they enjoy the challenges of trying to excel at the game. He's a professional football player because he has been playing this game since he was a kid, not because he can "retire" at 26.I think there is an injury that either he or the team is not disclosing. Some lack of confidence has probably also set in due to frustration because he is not performing to the level he is accustomed to. Throughout his first 3 seasons, he always set lofty goals for himself. I think the guy wants to excel. But right now, I do believe there is an injury that is causing this collapse. I don't buy any excuses of poor O-Line or anything else.

Jeez guys, it ain't rocket science. Watch the highlight clip. Then watch it again. Except this time, watch the line of scrimmage. Watch closely, Is it moving forward or backward at the snap of the ball? Watch the RB. Is he able to run down hill with his shoulder's parallel with the line of scrimmage ready to hit the seam? Or is he having to turn his shoulders towards the sideline to miss his blockers rear end because they're getting knocked into the backfield? Notice how many steps forward the RB takes before he gets to his blockers. Count them even. Now watch the game today and tell me if you see anything different. Hey, maybe CJ has fallen off, but until he actually runs behind a professional O'line we're not going to find out.

Sorry if I just don't see a reason to write him off. IMO, it looks like the Curt Warner effect to me. Remember how washed up he was in New York :rolleyes:

Jeez guys, it ain't rocket science. Watch the highlight clip. Then watch it again. Except this time, watch the line of scrimmage. Watch closely, Is it moving forward or backward at the snap of the ball? Watch the RB. Is he able to run down hill with his shoulder's parallel with the line of scrimmage ready to hit the seam? Or is he having to turn his shoulders towards the sideline to miss his blockers rear end because they're getting knocked into the backfield? Notice how many steps forward the RB takes before he gets to his blockers. Count them even. Now watch the game today and tell me if you see anything different. Hey, maybe CJ has fallen off, but until he actually runs behind a professional O'line we're not going to find out. Sorry if I just don't see a reason to write him off. IMO, it looks like the Curt Warner effect to me. Remember how washed up he was in New York :rolleyes:
several NFL people that watch coaches film disagree with you.

Jeez guys, it ain't rocket science. Watch the highlight clip. Then watch it again. Except this time, watch the line of scrimmage. Watch closely, Is it moving forward or backward at the snap of the ball? Watch the RB. Is he able to run down hill with his shoulder's parallel with the line of scrimmage ready to hit the seam? Or is he having to turn his shoulders towards the sideline to miss his blockers rear end because they're getting knocked into the backfield? Notice how many steps forward the RB takes before he gets to his blockers. Count them even. Now watch the game today and tell me if you see anything different. Hey, maybe CJ has fallen off, but until he actually runs behind a professional O'line we're not going to find out. Sorry if I just don't see a reason to write him off. IMO, it looks like the Curt Warner effect to me. Remember how washed up he was in New York :rolleyes:
Who? I have yet to hear anyone say that the Titan run blocking looks good this year.

Who? I have yet to hear anyone say that the Titan run blocking looks good this year.
Then you are gonna be waiting a long time. It's the same O-Line they had back when he ran through the gaping holes they created whne he defenses stacked the line and dared vince young to beat them. When the hole opened, he shot through and there was no one that could catch him. Without the 50-80 yard TD runs, this guy is a nobody. Now the opposing D has to defend the pass also and when they see run, the LB's close those holes up and johnon goes down without swinging.

Then you are gonna be waiting a long time. It's the same O-Line they had back when he ran through the gaping holes they created whne he defenses stacked the line and dared vince young to beat them. When the hole opened, he shot through and there was no one that could catch him. Without the 50-80 yard TD runs, this guy is a nobody. Now the opposing D has to defend the pass also and when they see run, the LB's close those holes up and johnon goes down without swinging.
Actually, I've pretty much written both CJ and Ringer off for the year (I have both). It may be the same people, but its not the same offensive line. The blocking scheme and offense certainly isn't the same. Again, watch the line of scrimmage in the highlights and then watch footage from this year. Too many defenders on the Titan side of the ball. The oline isn't getting movement. You guys are convinced CJ is washed up, I'm not, but let's forget about that for a moment. Instead, let's talk about Ringer. Ringer IMO is a good or at least an above average RB. IMO, if the blocking was typical of what we used to see out of the Titans, Ringer would have absolutely gashed the Colts last week. Mark Ingram, who has suffered much criticism on this board, had the same number of carries against the Colts in the previous week as Ringer, but averaged 6.5 YPC. By far his best outing this year. I'm sorry, but the Colts suck and Ringer's #'s are not what you would expect out of a good running back and solid offensive line.Sorry guys, but to me its kinda like complaining that your car has an acceleration problem, but refusing to acknowledge the four flat tires. All I'm saying is fix the four flat tires first and then I might believe you.

CJ was really overrated because he was especially lucky in his 2K season. During that season his success rate was roughly league average, what made him so good that year was popping off huge runs. He probably ran way above expectation and a few of those 50+ runs really make an otherwise average-below average performance look really good. This year he is probably running below expectation in terms of big runs. He was never likely as good as seemed in his prime and he's not as bad as he seems now.

It's a different coaching staff and for some reason they decided to change the system. Right now this run game looks like a train wreck, with everyone sharing in the blame. I agree that I don't see any reason to be optimistic for a big turnaround anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread