What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christmas Bonus or not (1 Viewer)

Marmalade

Footballguy
Did you get a Christmas Bonus?

So at my.job the HR rep handed out the bonuses this year. Sad part was only the full time who had worked for the company for 1 year received them. We have a lot of people who are part time personnel and FT people that fall short of the1 year mark. I felt bad for those who didn't get a bonus. Was also weird to see them out in front of everyone. Sad feelings in the office. I was happy to get a bonus, but sad for those who did not. Merry Christmas

i only worked for one employer who ever had a "Christmas Bonus" program, and never received it.

- started working in March 1999, when bonuses came around in December, boss says, "Gotta be employed for a full year to be eligible."

- company gets purchased in 2000, and new corporate policy says only people eligible for bonuses are those who have been employed for two full years. missed again.

- December 2001 rolls around and everyone gets the, "Profits are down, no bonus for anyone" speech

- same story in 2002

- i give notice mid-December 2003. last day of work is the 29th. receive final check at exit interview that AM. open the envelope to make sure everything is in order, and don't see bonus check for 2003. HR woman says, "Oh, sorry. You have to be a full-time employee for the entire calendar year to be eligible."

good times.

my annual bonus should be received tomorrow. i'll mark this spot to post my response.

edit: not as much as last year. about 3 weeks pay (last year was about 4). my group didn't do as well in 2013 as it did in 2012, so it's to be expected. i can't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonus for being an employee for a year? Must have a high turnover of staff.

Bonus for full year performance, meeting/exceeding agreed targets, I get that but here's a :moneybag: for sticking around?

Got a year end bonus, which is actually a significant portion of my total comp and given every year. System works well for my employer since they can always cut out bonuses. I am happy with the results for this year at least.

We do a "Christmas" bonus at our Christmas party each year. We call it a Christmas bonus but it's really a year end performance bonus. Mine last year was quite nice. Based on sales performance it should be again this year.

This is the end of my first year as a partner with my law firm. Bonuses are paid on 12/31 (or maybe 1/1). Really looking forward to it this year.

:headbang:

CEO usually gives everybody a card and a crisp $50 bill. It used to be $100

Those on bonus get them in Feb, May, Aug, Nov

Back when I first started at Papa John's they would hold a big end of year/Christmas party in Louisville and pay for all the managers to attend. And Papa would go around and hand everyone envelopes with cash bonuses in them. Some were quite thick. After a bit of growth though that just became too much. They still have the party but the cash is a thing of the past.

Feb or March. Looking forward to it. I haven't spent it and will have already upgraded my dork box so it looks like that's either going to be squirreled away or spent on a vacation.

I guess my bonus is getting paid vacation for the week between Christmas and New Years. It's nice because if I want to work, it's at double time and a half.

I got one in 2005, and 2006. The next year nobody got one, and 3 months later I was included in a 30% staff reduction. A month goes by and I get another job, wasn't there for a year to get bonus, nor do I think anyone got them. Laid off 3 months after. Can't find another job for 20mo. Get hired in Sept 2010, not there long enough to get 2010 bonus. Company gets bought out early 2011, and bonus program is ended. No bonus for Christmas 2011. Laid off July 2012, re-hired part time for same company October 2012. No bonus in 2012. Hired full time at another firm in Jan 2013, and they give bonuses over summer (Australian company, so I think calendar year is different), haven't been here long enough to get that one. I heard not to expect bonuses next year...

It's been a long time since I got a bonus in 2006.

I'm in sales so I neither expect nor anticipate a bonus. I get a bonus every time I close an order in the form of commissions. I did, however, get an iPad mini (as did everyone else on staff including the guy who has been here a month) as a gift from the owner of our 8 person company.

I have 2 CS reps that started in September/October and didn't get bonuses, so I gave them each $100 out of pocket.

Used to get an extra paycheck as a bonus last payday before Christmas, but since I took over all operations, our net profit is up 22% over same period in 2012 (look at me!) so I'm getting a relatively thunderous bonus this year. Enough to cover all my Christmas expenses and enough left over to take the wife and me to Europe for 2 weeks at Oktoberfest this year.

Bonus paid ~ Feb for annual performance.

We do get a holiday gift thing that is redeemable for a jacket or bag or something each year. Nice gesture.

We already got one extra paycheck as a holiday bonus. Annual bonuses come out in Feb and have been averaging about 18% as we've been kicking butt as a company.

Got ours 2 weeks ago. That always helps with Christmas shopping.

When I worked at a bank we got a Christmas bonus about the same time, then got a year-end bonus about 2 weeks later. I miss that.

ETA: The Christmas bonus was in cash and I got about 3 racks the last couple of years. My ex was so happy about my 1 rack cash bonus.

Last edited:
Got a year end bonus, which is actually a significant portion of my total comp and given every year. System works well for my employer since they can always cut out bonuses. I am happy with the results for this year at least.
That was the same scam my last (consulting engineering) employeer did; oh your base salary is low but we'll make it up come bonus time. only every year it was another excuse why we got a pitance. I never got more than $1000 in nine years. Yet somehow, every year the big wigs managed to get their massive bonuses.

now I work for government so no bonus, but I'd rather have a higher guaranteed salary. My boss did take us all out for lunch on her own dime.

I've gotten one every year at this company (even after only 4 months the first year)

I don't count on it though since they're doled out pretty arbitrarily, but getting an extra few racks at the end of the year is always a nice surprise

If your bonus isn't cash, is it taxed at a higher rate than salary, like commissions?

I'm in sales too, so no bonus. Our team will all chip in money and get a gift card for our boss. Usually the boss does something for the team too, but it's all out of pocket.

The only true Christmas bonus I ever got was in my first professional job in '87. I was part time while in college and still got a $600 bonus. I was at another company for 13 years and no bonus. Current job is kinda unique (I think) as its not a bonus, but we get a choice to rollover unused sick/vacation time to next year or cash it out. I usually rollover some and cash out the rest. We do get longevity bonuses though in 5 year increments. Get my 10-year next year.

Used to get a two week check with a company I worked for. Now that I work for myself in voiceovers and freelance in AV, there's no bonuses. But I got a $100 check from a client just to say thanks and I thought that was really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread