What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chrs Johnson owners (1 Viewer)

I havent watched a game of the titans yet.

Is he out of shape or is this Albert haynesworth syndrome (got paid+mailed it in)?

Just looking at the numbers, it seems like the team is actually getting more opportunities than last year. I would think it would be a good sign for CJ. With that being said, I have always thought he was over rated in fantasy due to his feast or famine nature each week. I'm sure he is drafted as the #1 for teams but he's never been as steady week in and week out as you need the #1 to be.

I'm guessing to trade him, most owners are going to want pretty close trade in return.

In a redraft, I have offered Beanie Wells and Brandon Marshall (I have Megatron, Vincent Jackson, and Steve Smith as well) for CJ. Not sure if this is ideal value. Still waiting to hear from the other owner.

In a redraft, I have offered Beanie Wells and Brandon Marshall (I have Megatron, Vincent Jackson, and Steve Smith as well) for CJ. Not sure if this is ideal value. Still waiting to hear from the other owner.
As a CJ owner, I would take that. Beanie has looked very good and that person would get Marshall to boot. I tossed out Foster to the CJ owner in my keep 3 league (he has to move CJ by week 10 or he cannot keep him or get any compensation for him), but it is a unique situation and probably not the best to determine true value.

I own him in dynasty and keeper formats and would not trade him unless I was getting another top talent. Just today I was offered Shonn Greene and Santana Moss for CJ2K and Jacobi Ford. Not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ravens were COMPLETELY selling out to stop the run on Sunday. I think they thought they could manhandle the Titans by stopping Johnson and running Rice. The Titans have the best O-line in football and Matt Hasselbeck - in the course of a single week - went from "new guy lining up under center" to "very comfortable back here, especially with all this time to look around for my receivers." Johnson will be fine. For the first time in about 6 years the Titans have a receiver that has to be schemed for and a quarterback that can get him the ball. Expect Johnson to start seeing more space in the coming weeks.

In a keeper league, I'd still want a top, bonafide RB1 in return (Mendenhall/McCoy-type talent).

In other words, I won't be trading him any time soon.

It's only been 2 weeks after no preseason reps. Passing game looks good, which should open things up eventually for CJ.

He's 3/3 in putting up quality fantasy seasons. My drafting/roster management M.O. has been to trust talent, and it's worked out well for me so far. I would not be selling low on CJ prematurely.

I guess it's going to depend on your roster/injury situation but I own him in 2 leagues and am not worried at all. He had no camp and two tough rushing matchups to start. If this were in weeks 6 and 7 it wouldn't be a blip on the radar but since it's week 1 and 2 all stats are magnified. I would certainly look to buy low if you can but as CJ owner my perception hasn't changed one bit..in fact I'm loving that they actually have a bit of a passing game and a decent QB.

Another thing to remember is that Johnson is one of only a handful of players that can turn a bad game in to a great game in the course of a single carry. Yes, all backs can run for a long touchdown occasionally. But Johnson, Peterson, McCoy, MJD, and a couple others are the only ones that can almost be "counted on" to have a few 50+ yard touchdowns during the season.

Starks straight up for him?What about Hillis?
If you can swing that go for it but as a CJ owner that wouldn't even be in the ballpark. I guess it depends on the owner though and how savvy they are....I've seen some crazy trades over the years...

Wow, listening to a lot of you guys, I way overpaid. We will have to see how it goes.

I gave Hillis and Hernandez for CJ2K and Manningham in a non ppr redraft

Wow, listening to a lot of you guys, I way overpaid. We will have to see how it goes.I gave Hillis and Hernandez for CJ2K and Manningham in a non ppr redraft
Nah, you didn't overpay. Looking at the schedule, CJ is poised for a nice run here in the next few weeks and the fantasy playoffs.These offers are short sighted and shouldn't even be considered.

Wow, listening to a lot of you guys, I way overpaid. We will have to see how it goes.I gave Hillis and Hernandez for CJ2K and Manningham in a non ppr redraft
I don't think you overpaid at all. If you have another strong TE, then I think that is a very trade for you. Hillis will get hurt at some point and miss some time. CJ2k will bouce back exactly for the reasons Banger said. All the reports from people that have actually watched the two Titans games so far are that he has looked like himself but the defense has completely sold out to stop him (and those two run defenses are looking strong this year anyway).

My problem is that I own him in 3 out of 5 leagues and would like to buy low but can't trade him to myself!

In a redraft, I have offered SJax & Austin ( have ADP, Best, Tate... VJax & Maclin) for CJ & Evans. Still waiting to hear from the other owner. :banned:

i wouldnt worry too much about thisHernandez is hurt nowand cj2k will wake up in about 2 weeks

I'm a CJ owner and I still view him as a top 5 RB and quite frankly, don't know why anyone else wouldn't. Shortened offseason, extended holdout, new coordinator, new system and new (aging) QB under center. Sorry, but if you didn't see a slow start coming, congratulations you're a guppy. Any D-coordinator in the league is going to stack the box and make you prove you can beat them through the air in that situation. Were you really expecting otherwise? When I took him, I looked at the schedule and thought to myself that it would probably take until the Denver (week3) or Cleveland (week4) game at least before that offense started clicking. Worst case scenario until after the bye. Yet, here we are week three and Hass and Britt have already made one of the better defenses pay dearly for stacking the box against them. Why would anyone in their right mind want to trade him now?

The Ravens were COMPLETELY selling out to stop the run on Sunday. I think they thought they could manhandle the Titans by stopping Johnson and running Rice. The Titans have the best O-line in football and Matt Hasselbeck - in the course of a single week - went from "new guy lining up under center" to "very comfortable back here, especially with all this time to look around for my receivers." Johnson will be fine. For the first time in about 6 years the Titans have a receiver that has to be schemed for and a quarterback that can get him the ball. Expect Johnson to start seeing more space in the coming weeks.
:goodposting:

I'm a CJ owner and I still view him as a top 5 RB and quite frankly, don't know why anyone else wouldn't. Shortened offseason, extended holdout, new coordinator, new system and new (aging) QB under center. Sorry, but if you didn't see a slow start coming, congratulations you're a guppy. Any D-coordinator in the league is going to stack the box and make you prove you can beat them through the air in that situation. Were you really expecting otherwise? When I took him, I looked at the schedule and thought to myself that it would probably take until the Denver (week3) or Cleveland (week4) game at least before that offense started clicking. Worst case scenario until after the bye. Yet, here we are week three and Hass and Britt have already made one of the better defenses pay dearly for stacking the box against them. Why would anyone in their right mind want to trade him now?
wellif you are looking to sell low, there's a chance his value is nearly as low as it will getso there is that

It is crazy to think of TRADING him right now.....the time right now is to BUY not SELL.

He stands a very good chance of going off this week against the Broncos. If you are certain that you want to trade him them wait next week or better yet two weeks to do so.

My 2 cents... The real issue is the lack of mobility at QB. Chris Johnson has always been a beast when Vince Young plays QB and he's always been a bust when any other QB plays. The number DON'T LIE. Seriously, just look... Here's my guess as to why: Chris Johnson's whole game is speed based. The extra bit of time he got with Vince Young at QB from linebackers (i.e. Vince Young's running ability put the linebackers in check) made all the difference in the world. CJ's numbers were never spectacular with a pocket passer as the primary QB. The bulk of CJ's great stats came with Vince Young at QB. Not trying to scare anyone but there may be something intrinsically off with CJ running in conjunction with a pocket passer. It's kind of a wild theory but just look at the numbers and you'll see. :banned:

I'm considering offering Cam Newton in a keep two league (but you can only keep players drafted after the third round) to the owner who has Chris Johnson (can't be kept) and drafted Peyton Manning in the 2nd round. Newton would be able to be kept for the next couple seasons as an 8th rounder.

The owner in that situation is 0-2 and has no viable keepers on his roster. In such a situation, I would think the Johnson owners would consider it, but I admit that it's probably not a good trade for that owner in terms of value for this season. Although, who knows.

One other thing to remember is that his fullback (Hall) got suspended for 4 games right before the season started due to a violation of the league substance policy. As a Johnson owner in multiple leagues, I'm hoping to stay afloat for the next couple weeks and then see a return to form following the Titans' bye week. Hopefully the combination of game conditioning, his regular blocking back in front of him again, and an improved passing game with Hasselbeck and Britt will get him back to where we hoped he would be as a first round pick.

My 2 cents... The real issue is the lack of mobility at QB. Chris Johnson has always been a beast when Vince Young plays QB and he's always been a bust when any other QB plays. The number DON'T LIE. Seriously, just look... Here's my guess as to why: Chris Johnson's whole game is speed based. The extra bit of time he got with Vince Young at QB from linebackers (i.e. Vince Young's running ability put the linebackers in check) made all the difference in the world. CJ's numbers were never spectacular with a pocket passer as the primary QB. The bulk of CJ's great stats came with Vince Young at QB. Not trying to scare anyone but there may be something intrinsically off with CJ running in conjunction with a pocket passer. It's kind of a wild theory but just look at the numbers and you'll see. :banned:
well the pocket passer was Collins who is a fossil so it's not as if there's a wealth of comparison information to go on. Yes, he performed better with Young until Young fell apart again last year. It basically boils down to having another threat for the defense to worry about...when they had the pocket passer they had no receivers to take the pressure or make the defense respect anything other than the threat of CJ running. When Young was in there they still had no passing threat but they needed to be conscious of Young's running ability so they couldn't completely sell out against the run.It doesn't boil down to pocket passer vs. non-pocket passer, it boils down to a balanced offense where the defense has to worry about more than solely selling out to stop the run. With Britt/Hass they just may have that threat.

Just offered up R Bush and J Nelson for him(willing to give Hillis instead of Bush).

I'm not expecting him to accept, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I would trade him straight up for Ben Tate. Seriously, I think Tate is going to outscore Johnson this season.
haha is this the same Joe Summer that said AJ Green's best game of the year would be week 1? I don't know that I'd sign up for your newsletter....

In Dynasty I floated an offer

I give

CJ2k

Grossman

1st rounder (looks to be last pick, trade earlier in preseason with top team)

4th rounder

for

Ingram

Newton

1st rounder

He said no way in hell, wouldn't even given up Ingram and 1st for him.

I would trade him straight up for Ben Tate. Seriously, I think Tate is going to outscore Johnson this season.
haha is this the same Joe Summer that said AJ Green's best game of the year would be week 1? I don't know that I'd sign up for your newsletter....
maybe you did not hear that the titans worked out Clinton Portis
Clinton Portis has the same ability to steal carries away from CJ as Sarah Palin has to win a presidential campaign. Face the facts: Javon Ringer already vultured a TD this past week...and that was outside the 10 yard line. Portis is not going to be the downfall of CJ: Chris Johnson will be what brings down CJ.

Clinton Portis has the same ability to steal carries away from CJ as Sarah Palin has to win a presidential campaign. Face the facts: Javon Ringer already vultured a TD this past week...and that was outside the 10 yard line. Portis is not going to be the downfall of CJ: Chris Johnson will be what brings down CJ.
i was being sarcastic, Summer seemed intrigued by portis

In a dynasty PPR league I just offered Michael Turner and Pierre Garcon for C.J. I'll update this post when I get his reply.

edit: Like I suspected he said no way. Oh well, it didn't hurt to try.

In Dynasty I floated an offer I give CJ2kGrossman1st rounder (looks to be last pick, trade earlier in preseason with top team)4th rounderfor IngramNewton1st rounderHe said no way in hell, wouldn't even given up Ingram and 1st for him.
Can't blame him ... Ingram is going to be a stud for years and so is Cam Newton.

I simply wouldn't trade him. I feel like his schedule will clear up some and also the passing game will eventually open more holes for him.

well that changes everything...sell Johnson while you still can Portis is comin to town!!!

I offered DJax, Knox and Lynch for him in a ppr redraft where we can start any combo of 5 skill guys (so you can go 5 wide if you want). He needs wr help and I have 1 too many. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread