What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chuck Pagano is the new Colts coach (1 Viewer)

Good hire.Here's what I posted in the Eagles thread, back when his name was floated there as a possible replacement for Reid.

This is the first I've heard of Pagano getting any head coaching buzz, but it could be a genius pick. I would hate to lose him but I guess that would be fair compensation for Harbaugh, right? The Ravens players talk about him the exact same way they talked about Rex, how much they love and respect him, and would go through a wall for him. But he's much less of a personality than Rex was as Defensive Coordinator, which I think is a good thing. He's only a first-year DC, but the players say some very interesting things about his gameplanning -- that he does a great job of setting up schemes that enable every single player to take advantage of what his individual strengths are.More than that, they say he does a great job of analyzing his own defense's weaknesses and anticipates how opposing offenses will try to exploit those weaknesses, then comes up with plans to counter those attacks. It's almost like he's baiting a trap for them. Last year the Ravens had 27 sacks all season, with 15 Forced Fumbles, and 19 INTs. This year, in 11 games, they have 38 sacks, 16 Forced Fumbles and 12 INTs.The Ravens run a 3-4, not a 4-3, as someone above mentioned. I think he could be a very interesting pick even with just one year of experience as a coordinator. I'm sure he could pluck a really good Ravens defensive assistant coach to be his D coordinator in Philly. He'd have to find an offensive guru to turn that whole side of the operation over to.

The question is, how much will he apply his defensive coordinating ability to the Colt's defense.

They have nowhere near the players to run a 3-4.

I guess the bigger question is who the OC will be, as that is the guy that will be minding the Luck and/or Manning store.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is, how much will he apply his defensive coordinating ability to the Colt's defense. They have nowhere near the players to run a 3-4.
On TV they were talking about the possibility of Freeney and/or Mathis standing up, but I have a hard time seeing them make that transition this late in their careers. OTOH they did draft Jerry Hughes a few years ago who might be a better fit in the 3-4. Still there doesn't appear to be a 3-4 NT on the roster and the linebackers like Angerer and Brackett certainly don't seem ideal for the 3-4.

The question is, how much will he apply his defensive coordinating ability to the Colt's defense. They have nowhere near the players to run a 3-4.
On TV they were talking about the possibility of Freeney and/or Mathis standing up, but I have a hard time seeing them make that transition this late in their careers. OTOH they did draft Jerry Hughes a few years ago who might be a better fit in the 3-4. Still there doesn't appear to be a 3-4 NT on the roster and the linebackers like Angerer and Brackett certainly don't seem ideal for the 3-4.
Angerer & Brackett make sense at ILB.

I don't hate this hire. Any guy who can make Tom Brady look mediocre is ok with me. Should be a nice upgrade over Caldwell anyway.

Mathis is a free agent, so I think his odds of sticking around decrease with this hire. I thought I saw Pagano mix in a good amount of 4-3 this year, so the Colts might still run a lot of 4-3 this year to take advantage of the types of players they have (e.g. Freeney, Nevis).

I don't hate this hire. Any guy who can make Tom Brady look mediocre is ok with me. Should be a nice upgrade over Caldwell anyway.Mathis is a free agent, so I think his odds of sticking around decrease with this hire. I thought I saw Pagano mix in a good amount of 4-3 this year, so the Colts might still run a lot of 4-3 this year to take advantage of the types of players they have (e.g. Freeney, Nevis).
Not sure which writer it was from Indy that was on local radio here today.But his opinions of several people was that Peyton, Matthis, Wayne, Garcon, Gonzo would all be gone...and they might even let Freeney go (cut).His opinion was that they were going to blow it up.

I don't hate this hire. Any guy who can make Tom Brady look mediocre is ok with me. Should be a nice upgrade over Caldwell anyway.Mathis is a free agent, so I think his odds of sticking around decrease with this hire. I thought I saw Pagano mix in a good amount of 4-3 this year, so the Colts might still run a lot of 4-3 this year to take advantage of the types of players they have (e.g. Freeney, Nevis).
Not sure which writer it was from Indy that was on local radio here today.But his opinions of several people was that Peyton, Matthis, Wayne, Garcon, Gonzo would all be gone...and they might even let Freeney go (cut).His opinion was that they were going to blow it up.
Makes sense except for Garcon. I can't think of any reason for him to go.

Well Garcon is a free agent. I'd like to see us keep Wayne actually though I'm guessing he's gone if Manning is gone. Keeping Wayne would give (presumably) Luck a veteran to lean on. I think that would help in his development as a QB. Not having a solid WR to throw to has done no favors for Sam Bradford and Blaine Gabbert. I'd be okay with everyone leaving and definitely would like to see Manning go elsewhere. He's done a ton for the Colts and the city of Indianapolis but Luck is developed enough to start from day one so I think starting from day one is what would help him to continue to develop the most. Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre isn't a good comparison because Rodgers wasn't ready according to everything I've ever read. I'd also think it'd be best for Manning too because he isn't going to compete for another championship with this team.

Similar to the Raiders' choice (one year of DC experience), except Pagano actually ran a good defense.

I know, "Better than the Raiders" isn't much these days.

As a Ravens fan, my reaction is "crap!". But I'm happy for Pagano and hope it pans out for the Colts. As The_Man says above, he's very creative and - horrors! - actually makes adjustments during the game that work. Pagano's been around (and around and around) so I'm sure he's got a pretty deep network to fill out his staff from.

Best of luck to the guy. Although if the Colts do "blow it up", this team is in for a LONG rebuild. They have very little talent on the right side of 30.

Why didn't the Colts go after Jim Harbaugh?? Fairly certain he spent his better years in the league as a Colt.

Niners are closer to a Super Bowl right now, but they won't win one with Alex Smith. Doubtful they do (given they made the NFC Championship w/ Smith), but maybe they'll upgrade on him if Manning's available.

Why didn't the Colts go after Jim Harbaugh?? Fairly certain he spent his better years in the league as a Colt.Niners are closer to a Super Bowl right now, but they won't win one with Alex Smith. Doubtful they do (given they made the NFC Championship w/ Smith), but maybe they'll upgrade on him if Manning's available.
LOL!! Anyone who thinks Jim Harbaugh would leave the 49ers, a team who was 1 play away from the Super Bowl, is smoking something. This is as likely as Tom Brady being traded to the Jets.My question regarding Pagano's hire is how does it affect Andrew Luck? Pagano being a defensive mind, who's going to run the offense and the NFL's next golden child, Andrew Luck?

Why didn't the Colts go after Jim Harbaugh?? Fairly certain he spent his better years in the league as a Colt.Niners are closer to a Super Bowl right now, but they won't win one with Alex Smith. Doubtful they do (given they made the NFC Championship w/ Smith), but maybe they'll upgrade on him if Manning's available.
LOL!! Anyone who thinks Jim Harbaugh would leave the 49ers, a team who was 1 play away from the Super Bowl, is smoking something. This is as likely as Tom Brady being traded to the Jets.
Wouldn't have been surprising. At all. LOL!! It'd be as surprising as the Colts RELEASING Peyton Manning! Right? He, who is one of the greatest QB's of all-time. Coach Andrew Luck. Build his own squad from scratch.Colts will win a Super Bowl with Luck before the 49ers will with Alex Smith. Committing long term to Smith isn't improving your franchise. He's the glaring weak link of the team.

LOL!! Anyone who thinks Jim Harbaugh would leave the 49ers, a team who was 1 play away from the Super Bowl, is smoking something. This is as likely as Tom Brady being traded to the Jets.
Wouldn't have been surprising. At all. LOL!! It'd be as surprising as the Colts RELEASING Peyton Manning! Right? He, who is one of the greatest QB's of all-time. Coach Andrew Luck. Build his own squad from scratch.Colts will win a Super Bowl with Luck before the 49ers will with Alex Smith. Committing long term to Smith isn't improving your franchise. He's the glaring weak link of the team.
Is this shtick or are you always so clueless?

Is this shtick or are you always so clueless?
I think he's just clueless. Heck, why didn't the Colts wait and aquire Belichick? Surely he'd want to leave the Pats for the Colts.....afterall Brady is old. LOL!!Also Craig_MiamiFL, what is so preposterous about releasing a 36 year old QB who almost had a handful of neck surgeries in the past 1.5 years, who is due a $28 million signing bonus, who otherwise would come back to a team with a horrible defense that just finished 2-14? Please tell me how releasing Manning is that insane. What IS PREPOSTEROUS is the people who think releasing Manning is not the right move. It's 100% the correct move.

Why didn't the Colts go after Jim Harbaugh?? Fairly certain he spent his better years in the league as a Colt.

Niners are closer to a Super Bowl right now, but they won't win one with Alex Smith. Doubtful they do (given they made the NFC Championship w/ Smith), but maybe they'll upgrade on him if Manning's available.
LOL!! Anyone who thinks Jim Harbaugh would leave the 49ers, a team who was 1 play away from the Super Bowl, is smoking something. This is as likely as Tom Brady being traded to the Jets.My question regarding Pagano's hire is how does it affect Andrew Luck? Pagano being a defensive mind, who's going to run the offense and the NFL's next golden child, Andrew Luck?
Hue Jackson's name is being thrown around for OC

Best of luck to the guy. Although if the Colts do "blow it up", this team is in for a LONG rebuild. They have very little talent on the right side of 30.
People were saying the same thing about Carolina this time last year. Having an elite quarterback changes a team's outlook in a hurry. (For a similar example of how a good QB can make a huge difference, see the Indianapolis Colts).

Hue Jackson's name is being thrown around for OC
Hue Jackson personally doesn't excite me. I'd be more comfortable with Brad Childress to tell you the truth.

Well Garcon is a free agent. I'd like to see us keep Wayne actually though I'm guessing he's gone if Manning is gone. Keeping Wayne would give (presumably) Luck a veteran to lean on. I think that would help in his development as a QB. Not having a solid WR to throw to has done no favors for Sam Bradford and Blaine Gabbert.
Collie and Clark would still be around as sure handed veteran WRs for Luck to lean on. I can't see anyway that they bring Wayne back and my guess is he'd be happy to go elsewhere and get paid.

People were saying the same thing about Carolina this time last year. Having an elite quarterback changes a team's outlook in a hurry. (For a similar example of how a good QB can make a huge difference, see the Indianapolis Colts).
Point taken, but the bottom line on the Panthers is that they still only won 6 games and they have a lot of younger talented players at various positions than do the Colts. With everyone being used to seeing the Colts as a Perennial threat to win a Super Bowl, I'm sure, to Max Power, this looks like a long row to hoe when you start thinking of losing Manning and probably Wayne, Saturday, Mathis, etc.

Well Garcon is a free agent. I'd like to see us keep Wayne actually though I'm guessing he's gone if Manning is gone. Keeping Wayne would give (presumably) Luck a veteran to lean on. I think that would help in his development as a QB. Not having a solid WR to throw to has done no favors for Sam Bradford and Blaine Gabbert.
Collie and Clark would still be around as sure handed veteran WRs for Luck to lean on. I can't see anyway that they bring Wayne back and my guess is he'd be happy to go elsewhere and get paid.
I was at a few of the home games this season, and Wayne looked rediculous. He looked like he didn't care what happened or what was going on during most plays. Obviously they weren't doing well, but as a veteran player on my team, he is one guy I would hope would be putting forth 110% effort to show the younger guys that you never give up. I say get him out of there now and don't let him affect any of the younger guys anymore.

Point taken, but the bottom line on the Panthers is that they still only won 6 games and they have a lot of younger talented players at various positions than do the Colts. With everyone being used to seeing the Colts as a Perennial threat to win a Super Bowl, I'm sure, to Max Power, this looks like a long row to hoe when you start thinking of losing Manning and probably Wayne, Saturday, Mathis, etc.
Right now the starting WRs for the colts would be Austin Colle and Blair White. I can't even tell you who the third WR would be. Dallas Clark is still a good TE, but he is getting up there in years. None of the Colts current RBs are really that great either. Saturday has already mentioned retiring, and the rest of the OL is average at best. That is a bad offense. Panthers at least had all-pro talent in Smith, Stewart, Williams, Kalil and Gross. Along with solid players in Olsen, Shockey, Otah and Lafell. There is a HUGE difference in talent between these two squads.

'The_Man said:
Good hire.Here's what I posted in the Eagles thread, back when his name was floated there as a possible replacement for Reid.

This is the first I've heard of Pagano getting any head coaching buzz, but it could be a genius pick. I would hate to lose him but I guess that would be fair compensation for Harbaugh, right? The Ravens players talk about him the exact same way they talked about Rex, how much they love and respect him, and would go through a wall for him. But he's much less of a personality than Rex was as Defensive Coordinator, which I think is a good thing. He's only a first-year DC, but the players say some very interesting things about his gameplanning -- that he does a great job of setting up schemes that enable every single player to take advantage of what his individual strengths are.More than that, they say he does a great job of analyzing his own defense's weaknesses and anticipates how opposing offenses will try to exploit those weaknesses, then comes up with plans to counter those attacks. It's almost like he's baiting a trap for them. Last year the Ravens had 27 sacks all season, with 15 Forced Fumbles, and 19 INTs. This year, in 11 games, they have 38 sacks, 16 Forced Fumbles and 12 INTs.The Ravens run a 3-4, not a 4-3, as someone above mentioned. I think he could be a very interesting pick even with just one year of experience as a coordinator. I'm sure he could pluck a really good Ravens defensive assistant coach to be his D coordinator in Philly. He'd have to find an offensive guru to turn that whole side of the operation over to.
Do you expect a big dip in effectiveness in Baltimore's defense with his exit?

'Max Power said:
They need a really good offseason, but do have some young talent. Bethea is probably right at 30, Powers is a very good CB, just injury prone, Angerer and Conner are solid LB's (Angerer can be really good), Nevis is a good looking DT, they took 2 olinemen in the first two rounds last year so potentially have building blocks there.

As I said in the Dennis Allen thread, we never know with a hire until we know. Very few people have any real sense of Chuck Pagano as a defensive coordinator, much less someone who will be a head coach.

I will say though, that I'm not sure I love the idea of hiring a 51-year old first time NFL head coach who spent most of his career in college, as an assistant.

So, you have Peyton Manning and/or Andrew Luck, both of whom any coach would love to work with, and you pick this guy?

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'Andy Dufresne said:
Indy appears to be in full on rebuild mode. Now is the perfect time to change playbooks and players, if that's the way they want to go. No one expects them to be good next year so there's no reason to wait to make sweeping changes.

This is one in a long line of indications that the Colts are rebuilding and moving on from all-timers like Manning, Saturday, Wayne, and Mathis. I disagree with those that say the rebuilding process will be a long one. If Luck is anywhere near as good as advertised, Pagano might be able to plug most of the biggest roster holes with cheap free agents from his time with the Ravens (e.g. Ben Grubbs, Cory Redding, Zbikowski) and resigning Garcon. With some defensive schemeing, that team could be competitive while building at other positions through the draft. Of course, they could elect to continue bottoming out and getting high draft picks.

Why would you strip the team of all offensive talents when you are about to draft Luck? I say they try to keep the offense together as much as possible and start busing through the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread