What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash Royale- New Time Waster (1 Viewer)

I plan to slum it in Arena 2 until I'm happy with my card levels. I'm dropping trophies but making sure I destroy one or two towers in the loss so I get points toward the crown chest.

Explain the appeal of hogs. Seems to be a squishy Prince without a special ability
He goes straight for the towers. A hog prince combo can be deadly. Problem is, everyone is now packing skellie armies to counter prince. This also impedes the hogs. Hogs are specific, you need to know how and when to use them. But they are deadly

I'm rarely using a defense.  I use a gob hut sometimes.  I have a feeling at higher levels a defensive structure will be absolutely necessary.  

The hog jumps the river, so can take out a D structure faster.

So after making level 8, Acer requested I post some stuff in here about my strategy.

Disclaimer: I've dropped $70 on this game as of this morning.

Here are a few articles that I read about how to best spend gems:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/03/08/clash-royale-gems-best-way-to-spend-them/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClashRoyale/comments/42w7u3/how_to_spend_your_gems/

http://clashroyalearena.com/guides/spend-gems-clash-royale

I spent $20 first, and just opened chests so I could continue playing nonstop. That lasted me about 6 hours (not nonstop, I'm not that hardcore), maybe a little longer. Being able to play whenever I wanted and get a chest gave me a quick deck of playable cards. 

After a few more days, once I realized I was in it for the long haul, I dropped a $50 and read these articles. I decided to buy 100,000 gold for 4500 gems. That left me another 2000 to gem chests open again. I then used this gold to level every troop, because I was being stingy with my upgrades previously to save gold. I also used them to buy cards in the store. This was a great way to get the rares and epics that I played with alot. 

I made level 8 yesterday, after a few days of playing, and am in the Royal Arena (2000+). If you are looking to spend some cash on gems, I recommend buying at least the 10,000 gold then opening chests so you can play nonstop. If you are willing to spend $50, definitely recommend the 100,000 gold and use the remaining 2000 gems to open chests that you get from battle. Upgrade troops and donate everything you can to level quickly.

Scott, I found a YouTube video that had a calculator for the best way to spend gems. I'll try to find it but the conclusion was that in the arenas under legendary, buying giant chests was the best roi. 

starting to lose interest a bit.  There's just not much motivation to grind trophies only to face 2+ levels above you while you can't even get anything for the effort.  It has some promise, but I'm starting to see people sort of migrate to maybe the same 6 or so cards and 2 others so it feels like it's the same game over and over.  also starting to see people that seem like they know a little too much.  Frustrating that they let that stuff go client side.  

Last edited by a moderator:
starting to lose interest a bit.  There's just not much motivation to grind trophies only to face 2+ levels above you while you can't even get anything for the effort.  It has some promise, but I'm starting to see people sort of migrate to maybe the same 6 or so cards and 2 others so it feels like it's the same game over and over.  also starting to see people that seem like they know a little too much.  Frustrating that they let that stuff go client side.  
I have found that as well. They are a little too good with what the are drawing and when. Frustrating for sure 

I like the game, but I dont think I will spend much if any money on it. Im happy to bide my time between arena 3 and 4 and just upgrade what I can. I cant seem to gain too many cups before losing 3-4 in a row and then Im back down

I have been at 1054 and still in Arena 4 though. There was some talk about that in chat yesterday. 

I like the game, but I dont think I will spend much if any money on it. Im happy to bide my time between arena 3 and 4 and just upgrade what I can. I cant seem to gain too many cups before losing 3-4 in a row and then Im back down

I have been at 1054 and still in Arena 4 though. There was some talk about that in chat yesterday. 
I doubt ill put any money into this game.. but that damn magical chest looks badass.. im guessing its impossible to get this without paying

I doubt ill put any money into this game.. but that damn magical chest looks badass.. im guessing its impossible to get this without paying
I have gotten two magical chests from just playing. Most know this, but you are new. I got a total of 3, that is right, three cards from the magical chest. It was something like 50 minion swarms, 90 teslas and the rest were infernos. I was so bummed that morning it opened up

Now, if it had been cards I actually use like Barbs and prince, I would have been ecstatic. 

Just had a giant chest dropped which I will open overnight tonight. 136 Cards. At least 13 rares. I had planned on dropping some money on the game this weekend but did not. Not sure if I am planning to now.

Watched an hour and a half You Tube clip of the "Clash You Tubers" in an 8 man tourney. Chief Pat, Clash With Ash, Godson and others who are posting stuff on You Tube everyday for both COC and Royale. Looks like they were actually at Supercell HQ. Was fun to watch and you could see some pretty good strategy at the higher levels. Most were using very similar decks.

I am finding that I do much better with my match ups in the morning to mid day. Once night comes, its open season on me. Not sure if anyone has similar matchmaking experiences

I am finding that I do much better with my match ups in the morning to mid day. Once night comes, its open season on me. Not sure if anyone has similar matchmaking experiences
That's when the asians come out.  Same reason why you don't want to match in clan wars after about 3pm EST.

Been having success with a low elixir setup.  Other than the 3 summons huts (Skellies, Barbs, Spear Goblins) I use all smaller goblins/spears/minions/archers etc.  You can overrun enemies quick. They can arrow down a bunch but there will be more on the way before they can get their next arrow set.

Been having success with a low elixir setup.  Other than the 3 summons huts (Skellies, Barbs, Spear Goblins) I use all smaller goblins/spears/minions/archers etc.  You can overrun enemies quick. They can arrow down a bunch but there will be more on the way before they can get their next arrow set.
Im intrigued. Can you post an example in the game. I have all three of those but never use them outside of trying a few times. 

Is the 400 gold to upgrade the skeleton army from lvl1 to lvl2 worth the cost? They get a pretty minor upgrade but I guess the damage adds up when there's 20 of them.

Prince is in the shop today for 2k gold.  Forget who doesn't have it yet.  
Is he worth it?  He wrecks me every now and then but mostly I keep him in check with skeleton armies and cannons.  About 80% of the princes I see get stopped in their tracks.  Not quite sure if everybody has success using him.

I quit using the prince in favor of the loon.  Those little skeleton swarms that everyone holds are pointless vs. loons.  It's a rock/paper/scissors thing.  Loons can't defend at all so you get weak going on D.  

Just had a giant chest dropped which I will open overnight tonight. 136 Cards. At least 13 rares. I had planned on dropping some money on the game this weekend but did not. Not sure if I am planning to now.

Watched an hour and a half You Tube clip of the "Clash You Tubers" in an 8 man tourney. Chief Pat, Clash With Ash, Godson and others who are posting stuff on You Tube everyday for both COC and Royale. Looks like they were actually at Supercell HQ. Was fun to watch and you could see some pretty good strategy at the higher levels. Most were using very similar decks.

Well, three of us have had a giant chest comprised of only three cards.  I got minions, goblin spears, and bomb tower...pure ####.  Emailed SuperCell and they said it was random.  I told them it was mathematically impossible to have three people in our clan get a giant chest and for each to consist of only three cards. 

Lvl 7 is a pretty comfortable place to get to, if you like the game it is worth spending to get there.

i am around 2000-2200 trophies.  The meta is interesting and changes a lot.

the most frequent changes I see are with the golem.  If you dont have Inferno he is tough because of high tank factor.  But if you have it he is easy.

Once decks start featuring Inferno more, you see people drop Golrm and go swarm.

Meant to add.   At lvl 7 your cards are about the same lvl as your lvl 8 opponent, they just have more of their secondary cards upgraded.

Almost all opponents in 2000 range are either lvl 7 or 8

EYLive said:
Is the 400 gold to upgrade the skeleton army from lvl1 to lvl2 worth the cost? They get a pretty minor upgrade but I guess the damage adds up when there's 20 of them.
I ended up doing the upgrade. Princes and giant combos are getting mowed down with extra Larrys to spare on offence. But now I'm down to 174 gold.

.Got 2000 gold banked...saving for dragon lvl 2.  Other epics are Prince lvl 2 (1/4) and Skel armt lvl 1 (1/2).  I use dragon and prince and don't use Skel army.  Huge fan of bomber btw

rascal said:
Well, three of us have had a giant chest comprised of only three cards.  I got minions, goblin spears, and bomb tower...pure ####.  Emailed SuperCell and they said it was random.  I told them it was mathematically impossible to have three people in our clan get a giant chest and for each to consist of only three cards. 
You were right. Opened it up this morning. Goblins, barbs and giants. At least I use giants.

rascal said:
My guess is it is a two step process, modified to guarantee rarities.

1) Choose random card in chest.

2) Choose random number of that card in chest.

3) Loop until all chest spots filled.

I doubt they do the alternative, and choose one card at a time (choose random card #1, choose random card #2, etc.)

rascal said:
I just got Barbarian Hut, Spear Goblins, and cannons.  At least I use 2 of those three now. 

Has anyone checked out clashmeta.com yet? Seems like some good data as to the way the masses are playing. Not sure if it's better to zig when everyone zags or just play with the consensus.

I'll be opening up my giant chest at about 8 tonight. Please don't give me the culdeus cannon treatment, please dont give me the culdeus cannon treatment...

Love the strategy involved in the game. I dropped 50 on it and got the 100k gold, Then a few of the 500 gems chests. Really enjoying the game so far.

odin33 said:
I'll be opening up my giant chest at about 8 tonight. Please don't give me the culdeus cannon treatment, please dont give me the culdeus cannon treatment...
300 spear goblins :)

Hmmm... I just got my first 2 barbarian cards. But I think I'm better off using my lvl5 knight until I can upgrade the barbs high enough to justify the 5 elixir cost right?

Users who are viewing this thread