What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clever Ways to Mitigate Dumb Luck in H2H Leagues? (1 Viewer)

We play All-Play and would never switch back to H2H. Didn't realize it was so popular from reading this thread.

What can we do to get stuck-in-the-mud CBS to offer it as a playing option?

Right now, in my 10-team league, you have to schedule 45 games a week, a pain.

But CBS could simply rank teams 1-10, showing the current state of things much like a horse race, a team jumps up from 5th to 2nd, down from 3rd to 7th. It would be great.

Yenrub said:
Agent575 said:
Yenrub said:
Rove! said:
Agent575 said:
Yenrub said:
RBM said:
Doubleheaders.
Been pushing this for my dynasty, but can't get anybody on board.
With doubleheaders are you allowed to enter two different lineups?
So you want to start the lineup that you think will score the most points....and...err....one that might win the science fair portion of the contest? Not the first time I have heard this question but seriously, what would be the point?
hedging
Yeah Im not so sure whats so hard to understandFor example if an owner is having tough time choosing a 3rd WR form pair of similar WR on their roster say TY Hilton and Kendall Wright

In a double header situation the owner may want to start Hilton in one game and Wright in the other
Under the assumption that one results in a win and one a loss, why would not give yourself a chance to win both by having the stones to make a decision? The day I play scared is the day I quit. I am ok with being wrong versus getting cute with my lineup for the sake of ensuring that I was right hen in fact you werent actually able to take a real stance. Man up. Haha.
Man up playing magic football..if you say so tough guyIsnt the whole idea behind doubleheaders about hedging or protecting against the so called bad beat?

If you are going to play two games in the same week I dont see why you wouldnt allow a guy to put in two separate lineups
Not about being tough. Isn't the entire idea behind fantasy football to "call it". You draft guys you think will do the best. You trade trying to get better players on your team. You set your lineup to score the most points each week.

You don't hedge your bet like a little girl because you are afraid to make a decision. That is why we join multiple leagues if anything. Hedging my bet on Draftstreet or Fanduel is one thing but to hedge your bet within the same season long league is being a sissy.

If you can get a service to provide the feature, all the power to you. I hope every opponent I face has that much trouble making a decision on something so simple. As for the example used when this started, let me give you the free advice to take Wright over Hilton. See...that was easy. LOL
if I have to win one game out of two to make te playoffs and i have a doubleheader, I'm going to hedge. It's the smart thing to do. Are you saying it's womanly to be smart and logical and manly to be more emotional and less rational?
Well personally I think double header leagues are dumb. Secondly I think allowing two lineups in those leagues is dumb. But if you are in a dumb league that does those two things then yes in that unique scenario you would be using sound logic. Good luck with it.

This is what we do. 3 diviisions of 4 teams. Division winners make the playoffs. We have three wildcard spots that are determined by a power poll. The power poll takes into consideration record, total points, and vs. all record. All three are weighted equaly. The top three in the power poll that are not already in the playoffs make the playoffs.

Like so many other FF owners, I have one of those teams that have scored a lot but have a very high points scored against. Also, of my league's playoff teams, all but one are among the teams with the least points scored against (#'s 8-12 out of 12 in terms of points against). One of those has the fewest points scored against.

I know there's all-play leagues and, in head-to-head leagues, tactics like awarding victory points and/or giving the league's final playoff spot to the regular season high scorer.

But do any of your leagues have any other clever ways that they try to mitigate some of the stupid luck involved in H2H match ups?

Just researching for next year...thanks.
After your 2nd, 3rd, etc. year of playing fantasy football... you'll realize that this happens to everyone eventually. :yes:

Hang in there.

We use a BCS-like system, with a Coaches' Poll, a "media" poll, and a computer poll averaged together to pick the 2 most deserving teams for the wild card.

Sarnoff said:
We use a BCS-like system, with a Coaches' Poll, a "media" poll, and a computer poll averaged together to pick the 2 most deserving teams for the wild card.
Sarnoff, any chance we get a look at your league's by-laws... or is the file too large to share? :lol:

Sarnoff said:
Sarnoff, any chance we get a look at your league's by-laws... or is the file too large to share? :lol:
We have them printed in book form, bound in football leather, and personally delivered to each owner. At the end of the year, each copy must be destroyed, by fire, in a 13-way Skype session so we can all see and verify (12 owners, plus the lawyer we have on retainer that serves as our commissioner). I just got sent galley proofs for next year's rules. I am not legally allowed to share them outside of the league, at this time. If you can PM me a notarized non-disclosure agreement, though, I can give you a link to view a website with photographs of some of the pages, next summer, which I can put online for a 24-hour window only. The link will only work one time and the pictures will not be able to be saved to your hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread