What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

The union will take them to court for sure.
Only if they penalize somebody, which they haven't done yet and may never do. I'm betting that they're hoping this letter and the warning is enough. If they actually penalize somebody for kneeling it's going to be a ####show with no end in sight. 

Although there isn't anything specifically in the CBA about the anthem is clearly in the league's policy which asks them to:

stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand and refrain from talking” during the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner

They could easily classify not following any league policy as Conduct Detrimental under the CBA if they wanted to.
How do you "easily" classify the word "should" to mean the word "must"?

Although there isn't anything specifically in the CBA about the anthem is clearly in the league's policy which asks them to:

They could easily classify not following any league policy as Conduct Detrimental under the CBA if they wanted to.
:no:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the language is advisory, not mandatory - it asks them, requests what they should do, but it is not required.

If it classified as Conduct Detrimental, it will be viewed (rightfully or wrongfully) as singling out African American players for exercising their right to free speech and if you think there is controversy now, it will pale in comparison to the crap storm that will happen if Goodell goes there (which I'm sure he won't as he must understand the consequences when over 70% of the players are AAs).

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if they penalize somebody, which they haven't done yet and may never do. I'm betting that they're hoping this letter and the warning is enough. If they actually penalize somebody for kneeling it's going to be a ####show with no end in sight. 
Instead of sitting or kneeling or whatever that in reality  really does no good and is alienating the fan base and dividing teams, coaches and owners.

Have the NFL Network devote an hour a week of programming year round and bring in different players from different teams to discuss issues and actually try to solve problems and think of solutions. Kneeling for a minute before games does not help anything..talking year round with the NFL backing it up will

Da Guru said:
Instead of sitting or kneeling or whatever that in reality  really does no good and is alienating the fan base and dividing teams, coaches and owners.

Have the NFL Network devote an hour a week of programming year round and bring in different players from different teams to discuss issues and actually try to solve problems and think of solutions. Kneeling for a minute before games does not help anything..talking year round with the NFL backing it up will
Lol, I'm sure that white America will watch some show on the NFL network about police brutality against minorities. Are you serious with this? 

The more I hear crap like this proposed, the more I'm changing my mind and thinking the kneeling is a good idea. Like I wrote earlier, they need to get in your face and stay there. 

I wonder how much the owners would care about this if they weren't getting paid by the Department of Defense to "encourage" the players to stand for the anthem. I have a guess...

Da Guru said:

The players are not protesting the NFL or perceived discrimination against AAs by the NFL, so a token show of programming for an hour by the NFL Network each week to pay lip service to diversity is laughable as would not address the real issues that Kaepernick first raised in his protest which has carried into this season.

timschochet said:
Thanks to K-stink.  "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country......."   "It's something that can unify this country."

Way to go, idiot.

I may take a knee next time I'm in Vegas to protest Michael Bennett's lying about the LVPD
Has this affected you personally or anyone you know?   Nice to know that most people having a problem with then entire protest from the start fail to have any empathy for reasons they are taking a knee in the first place. 

Nice job.

Has this affected you personally or anyone you know?   Nice to know that most people having a problem with then entire protest from the start fail to have any empathy for reasons they are taking a knee in the first place. 

Nice job.
Good leap, sorry my beliefs here really don't fit your narrative.  I don't really care if the players take a knee or not and have no problem if they protest.  They have the right to do whatever they choose and people have a right to not watch the games and buy tickets/merchandise as a response if they choose.  I'm also fine with the discussion.  At the end of the day like it or not this will come down to business and this will shake out one way or the other.  Either they'll make their point and the public will back them or it won't.  But it's hypocritical for players to be activists about this and then nobody has recounted any of their initial statements criticizing the LVPD for something that simply wasn't true.

Lol, I'm sure that white America will watch some show on the NFL network about police brutality against minorities. Are you serious with this? 

The more I hear crap like this proposed, the more I'm changing my mind and thinking the kneeling is a good idea. Like I wrote earlier, they need to get in your face and stay there. 
The kneeling has nobody talking about anything other than the kneeling.

A Detroit cop just beat the crap of a black kid on video with a Billy club for not complying.  The Cop was black so nobody really cares and it did not get much press.

Do you think that cops thought process was    "Wait..football players are kneeling so I should not be doing this?" 

I've asked several times what good has come from all this. All I've gotten is "well people are talking about it".

You have anything better than that?

And what good exactly is going to come from more "getting in white people's faces"?

Good leap, sorry my beliefs here really don't fit your narrative.  I don't really care if the players take a knee or not and have no problem if they protest.  They have the right to do whatever they choose and people have a right to not watch the games and buy tickets/merchandise as a response if they choose.  I'm also fine with the discussion.  At the end of the day like it or not this will come down to business and this will shake out one way or the other.  Either they'll make their point and the public will back them or it won't.  But it's hypocritical for players to be activists about this and then nobody has recounted any of their initial statements criticizing the LVPD for something that simply wasn't true.
Something new happen? All I know is the LVPD contradicted Bennett, which, in case you haven't noticed false statements by police are part of the issue.

I've asked several times what good has come from all this. All I've gotten is "well people are talking about it".

And what good exactly is going to come from more "getting in white people's faces"?
I don't. But I suppose forcing you to talk about it is better than nothing. 

Something new happen? All I know is the LVPD contradicted Bennett, which, in case you haven't noticed false statements by police are part of the issue.
LVPD released the video of the incident, it doesn't show excessive force and at least that I've seen there is not a point where an officer threatens to "blow his head off" as Bennett claimed.  They did check to make sure the handcuffs he was put in while detained weren't too tight.  

LVPD released the video of the incident, it doesn't show excessive force and at least that I've seen there is not a point where an officer threatens to "blow his head off" as Bennett claimed.  They did check to make sure the handcuffs he was put in while detained weren't too tight.  
Edited video. Cop involved didn't have his body cam on (as always). Same old same old.

http://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736257/colin-kaepernick/

Time named him as one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Like it or not he did raise the awareness of the issues he was protesting and he has been recognized for that.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735952-lvmpd-body-cam-footage-in-michael-bennett-incident-released

"There was no video of Bennett's detention as Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Jay Rivera said the officer forgot to turn his body cam on prior to responding to what was falsely reported as a shooting, per Shoro."
So the entire encounter apparently did a 180 on a dime between that one officer and the officers who did happen to have theirs on.  Got it.  I don't know why given that compelling case we haven't had a civil suit brought yet as Bennett threatened.

So the entire encounter apparently did a 180 on a dime between that one officer and the officers who did happen to have theirs on.  Got it.  I don't know why given that compelling case we haven't had a civil suit brought yet as Bennett threatened.
You haven't seen video of the actual arrest. It has not been shown.

Plus it's great that LVPD tried to get Goodell to go after Bennett:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rejects-las-vegas-police-union-request-wont-investigate-michael-bennett/

(unrelated autoplaying video on that link, sorry)

Among the videos shown by Lombardo was Bennett being taken to a police car after he was handcuffed:

The next video showed Bennett talking with officers saying he didn't do anything and asking for an explanation behind his detention:

Another video showed an officer apologizing to Bennett:

There was no video of Bennett's detention as Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Jay Rivera said the officer forgot to turn his body cam on prior to responding to what was falsely reported as a shooting, per Shoro.

Among the videos shown by Lombardo was Bennett being taken to a police car after he was handcuffed:

The next video showed Bennett talking with officers saying he didn't do anything and asking for an explanation behind his detention:

Another video showed an officer apologizing to Bennett:

There was no video of Bennett's detention as Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Jay Rivera said the officer forgot to turn his body cam on prior to responding to what was falsely reported as a shooting, per Shoro.
Pretty much what we stated before, the remainder of the encounter was either consistent with the other videos or it was a complete and total 180 from what we know occurred from the video that is present.

Pretty much what we stated before, the remainder of the encounter was either consistent with the other videos or it was a complete and total 180 from what we know occurred from the video that is present.
I believe officer attitudes can change when they realize they're not dealing with a nobody, yeah.

I believe officer attitudes can change when they realize they're not dealing with a nobody, yeah.
That's your right to believe whatever you want.  The evidence we have doesn't show any corroboration of Bennett's story.  What we do have shows the opposite as far as the way he is being treated, inconsistent with the way he portrayed it.  You're basically taking the stance of saying if the police can't prove a negative, then I believe they are guilty.

That's your right to believe whatever you want.  The evidence we have doesn't show any corroboration of Bennett's story.  What we do have shows the opposite as far as the way he is being treated, inconsistent with the way he portrayed it.  You're basically taking the stance of saying if the police can't prove a negative, then I believe they are guilty.
And what's Bennett's motive?

So speculate. He's a liar?
Someone is lying, I don't have to speculate as to that.  What evidence we do have doesn't back up his claim.  To believe the officer's side you have to assume that the encounter was consistent with what we have already seen.  To believe Bennett's account, you are assuming what evidence we have is a red herring, totally and completely different from what would have had to occurred between Bennett and the LVPD.  You're also saying that you expect them to be able to prove a negative. 

Someone is lying, I don't have to speculate as to that.  What evidence we do have doesn't back up his claim.  To believe the officer's side you have to assume that the encounter was consistent with what we have already seen.  To believe Bennett's account, you are assuming what evidence we have is a red herring, totally and completely different from what would have had to occurred between Bennett and the LVPD.  You're also saying that you expect them to be able to prove a negative. 
We have tons and tons and tons of evidence that police routinely behave exactly as Bennett describes.

To put the police in the best light, it was a tense, possibly lethal situation, and this behavior is how they subdue people. It's just how they do it.

I have more sympathy for the cop in the moment than I do for the department trying to play their ham-fisted, cover your backside PR game.

We have tons and tons and tons of evidence that police routinely behave exactly as Bennett describes.

To put the police in the best light, it was a tense, possibly lethal situation, and this behavior is how they subdue people. It's just how they do it.

I have more sympathy for the cop in the moment than I do for the department trying to play their ham-fisted, cover your backside PR game.
They put out a statement backing up an employee who has been accused of a horrible act where there is absolutely no evidence he did anything wrong.  I'm not sure what you'd have them do in this case.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/11/trump-nfl-should-have-suspended-colin-kaepernick-for-kneeling.html

Trump: NFL should have suspended Colin Kaepernick for kneeling

President Donald Trump told Fox News' Sean Hannity Wednesday that the NFL should have suspended quarterback Colin Kaepernick for kneeling during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

"The NFL should have suspended him for one game and he would have never done it again," Trump told host Sean Hannity in Harrisburg, Pa. "They could have then suspended him for two games and they could have suspended him again if he did it a third time, for the season, and you would never have had a problem."

Kaepernick began kneeling during the national anthem last season as part of a protest against police brutality while a member of the San Francisco 49ers. Kaepernick has since become a free agent and has been unable to get a job with another NFL team.

On Tuesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to team owners that he believed players should stand for the national anthem, adding that the league would consider a rule change requiring players to stand. 

"I will tell you," Trump told Hannity, "you cannot disrespect our country, our flag, our anthem, you cannot do that."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/11/trump-nfl-should-have-suspended-colin-kaepernick-for-kneeling.html

Trump: NFL should have suspended Colin Kaepernick for kneeling

President Donald Trump told Fox News' Sean Hannity Wednesday that the NFL should have suspended quarterback Colin Kaepernick for kneeling during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

"The NFL should have suspended him for one game and he would have never done it again," Trump told host Sean Hannity in Harrisburg, Pa. "They could have then suspended him for two games and they could have suspended him again if he did it a third time, for the season, and you would never have had a problem."

Kaepernick began kneeling during the national anthem last season as part of a protest against police brutality while a member of the San Francisco 49ers. Kaepernick has since become a free agent and has been unable to get a job with another NFL team.

On Tuesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to team owners that he believed players should stand for the national anthem, adding that the league would consider a rule change requiring players to stand. 

"I will tell you," Trump told Hannity, "you cannot disrespect our country, our flag, our anthem, you cannot do that."
This is what is very wrong with our President and all people who believe this.  If you take away people's rights to do just that then this is not longer a free country.  No one will argue that it's not a good thing to disrespect our country but you can not force people not too.  That is not freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread