What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick (1 Viewer)

werdnoynek

Footballguy
Watching Kaepernick out there last night gave us a glimpse of what could come if Alex Smith were to go down... I saw 4 or 5 read option plays including the one where he broke off a huge TD run. He seems to be a better passer than Tebow and they'd likely throw more than Denver did last season if it happens, but it's hard to deny his abilities running the ball. He's got a high ceiling when taking the rushing into consideration and will definitely be a great waiver grab if anything happens to Smith because of it, imo.

Watching Kaepernick out there last night gave us a glimpse of what could come if Alex Smith were to go down... I saw 4 or 5 read option plays including the one where he broke off a huge TD run. He seems to be a better passer than Tebow and they'd likely throw more than Denver did last season if it happens, but it's hard to deny his abilities running the ball. He's got a high ceiling when taking the rushing into consideration and will definitely be a great waiver grab if anything happens to Smith because of it, imo.
Some 49er fans have already called him Black Tebow. He's got tremendous wheels and a better arm than Tebow, but no way do I want him behind center yet. Of course, I'm not talking FF here.

He looked much more comfortable out there. Made some nice throws. He looks thicker/stronger too. Without losing his explosiveness.

He has more big play potential than Tebow. More like Newton.

Only watched the 1st half. Like what I saw from him.

I wonder about this same issue when I grabbed him off of waivers recently, now in his second year, in time he may develop into a good QB in dynasty leagues.

The biggest reason why I grabbed him was the cheap price to acquire him.

I would like to hear about any passing skills or performances of Kaepernick, or any SF homer insights on the QB situation.

I wonder about this same issue when I grabbed him off of waivers recently, now in his second year, in time he may develop into a good QB in dynasty leagues. The biggest reason why I grabbed him was the cheap price to acquire him.I would like to hear about any passing skills or performances of Kaepernick, or any SF homer insights on the QB situation.
Seems that many of the 49er players joke that he would prefer to run than pass the ball, as he tends to take off after checking his first option.I'm hoping he shows some real progress this year, with his first offseason of work. I've read he has a hitch in his passing motion, but that he throws the ball with so much velocity that it makes up for the hitch as far as ball going from point A to point B. Obviously not ready yet, but as a 49er fan, I wouldn't mind Smith having a minor injury that would force him to sit a week or 2 so that we could get a look at what Kaepernick brings to the table. Athletically I think he compares well to Newton, I'm just not sure he would be near as durable as he is not near as filled out as Newton (someone mentioned he had put on weight , but I have not seen recent photos).I've drafted him & held him on my rookie squad since last year. Hopefully we will get a look at him this year & next season he will get a shot at starting.

I wonder about this same issue when I grabbed him off of waivers recently, now in his second year, in time he may develop into a good QB in dynasty leagues. The biggest reason why I grabbed him was the cheap price to acquire him.I would like to hear about any passing skills or performances of Kaepernick, or any SF homer insights on the QB situation.
Seems that many of the 49er players joke that he would prefer to run than pass the ball, as he tends to take off after checking his first option.I'm hoping he shows some real progress this year, with his first offseason of work. I've read he has a hitch in his passing motion, but that he throws the ball with so much velocity that it makes up for the hitch as far as ball going from point A to point B. Obviously not ready yet, but as a 49er fan, I wouldn't mind Smith having a minor injury that would force him to sit a week or 2 so that we could get a look at what Kaepernick brings to the table. Athletically I think he compares well to Newton, I'm just not sure he would be near as durable as he is not near as filled out as Newton (someone mentioned he had put on weight , but I have not seen recent photos).I've drafted him & held him on my rookie squad since last year. Hopefully we will get a look at him this year & next season he will get a shot at starting.
He wants to run cuz he had 600 attempts for 4112 yds and a 6.9 yd avg, with 59 tds in college. He took games over with his legs. Each year in college, he got better with his throwing mechanics. His completion percentage went up each year. So far, after one pre-season game in '12 he looks better than last year.Kaep seems to improve his game each year. With NFL coaching, hes got a chance to do great things. Especially if he gets another year or two to improve without having it all thrown on his back.

I think a lot of people aren't familiar with Kaepernick's career - he was good enough as a baseball player to be drafted out of high school but wanted to play football and Nevada was the only college that would give him a football scholarship (although lots would have given him baseball scholarships).

Here are some notes (from Wikipedia) about his college numbers - pretty impressive

On November 26, 2010, Kaepernick led his team to a 3431 overtime victory against the previously undefeated Boise State Broncos, snapping a 24 game win streak that had dated back to the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl. This game was played on Nevada's senior night, the final home game for Kaepernick and fellow notable senior running back Vai Taua. Nevada Head Coach Chris Ault would later call this game the "most important win in program history." During this game, Kaepernick surpassed 1,000 rushing yards for this season, becoming the first player in NCAA history to have over 2,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing for 3 consecutive seasons. Along with Taua's 131 yards rushing in the game, the duo became the NCAA's all time leaders in rushing yards by teammates (8,285) passing the legendary SMU "Pony Express" duo of Eric Dickerson and Craig James (8,193).[7]

On December 4 against Louisiana Tech University, Kaepernick joined Florida's Tim Tebow as the second quarterback in FBS history to throw for 20 touchdowns and run for 20 in the same season. Later that same evening, Auburn's Cam Newton joined Tebow and Kaepernick as the third. Kaepernick's three rushing touchdowns in that game also placed in him in a tie with former Nebraska QB and Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch for most rushing TD's in NCAA history by a quarterback with 59 in his career. Nevada claimed a share of the WAC title after defeating Louisiana Tech.

Kaepernick is the only quarterback in the history of Division I FBS college football to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 4,000 yards in a collegiate career. Kaepernick is also the only Division 1 FBS QB to have passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a single season three times in a career (consecutively).

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night Kaepernick was 12-18 with 158 yds in 2 TDs in one half of football. This guy has far more ability, and far better mechanics than Tim Tebow. I'm not saying Alex Smith has to worry just yet, but if he were to go down to injury, Kaepernick is talented enough to never give the job back. Plus, Smith is basically on 3 one year deals with his latest contract. Each year, the money isn't guaranteed until April.

Users who are viewing this thread