What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Penix Jr., ATL (4 Viewers)

Hard pass ever since he had to be essentially carried off the field at the end of the Washington State game because of anxiety. Anxiety is no joke, and a lot of people suffer from it, but there are certain jobs that make it worse. Being an NFL QB has to be near the top of the list of worst jobs for someone with performance anxiety.

Good move on the part of Penix, no reason to risk injury before securing a 1st rd rookie deal in the 2024 NFL Draft
He's shown what he can do, time to start booking scouts for his private workout prio to Draft Day

Hard pass ever since he had to be essentially carried off the field at the end of the Washington State game because of anxiety. Anxiety is no joke, and a lot of people suffer from it, but there are certain jobs that make it worse. Being an NFL QB has to be near the top of the list of worst jobs for someone with performance anxiety.
You're worried about what happened after he lead his team to a game winning drive and locked up an undefeated season? This is the first time I've heard anyone describe his celebratory emotions as anxiety.

is this anxiety?

You're worried about what happened after he lead his team to a game winning drive and locked up an undefeated season? This is the first time I've heard anyone describe his celebratory emotions as anxiety.

is this anxiety?

He literally had to be walked off the field and could not celebrate with this team. I don't know what to tell you, it was not a typical situation.

is this anxiety?

He literally had to be walked off the field and could not celebrate with this team. I don't know what to tell you, it was not a typical situation.
I just had to look this up as I was unfamiliar with the events. It was odd. I'm glad that kick won the game because I'm not convinced he would have kept playing.

Read Great Blue North. They do great reporting on the pre-draft activities. It goes a lot deeper than these player votes for best QB, etc. They have so many awards everyone gets one. Penix looked bad in his last college game and not so great in Senior Bowl practices. But no QB stood out other than Michael Pratt of Tulane, who couldn't sustain his level of play early in the practices. Doesn't mean Penix should play. We don't know anything. But he hardly shined over the week.

Penix's emotions were clearly predicated by winning the Apple Cup and the game being over. He gave an on the field interview minutes after the game ended.

Is anyone talking about avoiding Caleb Williams because he literally jumped into his mom's arms and cried after he lost a game? That wasn't typical either.

I think there are legitimate concerns regarding Penix that could keep him out of the 1st round. But concern about a guy getting caught up in the moment after winning a clutch game, as his career winds down, feels manufactured.

Last edited:
PFF said that "We haven’t had a quarterback update yet this week, but Penix deserves a shoutout for his performance this week, as he felt like the most impressive quarterback in Mobile. His arm talent was evident from the jump due to the NFL-caliber velocity on his throws, and though his wasn't always accurate, most of his throws were well-placed, and some, like the one above, were absolute beauties."

I've read a bunch of Senior Bowl stuff and this is the only publication that thinks he had a very good week. The rest had Spencer Rattler having a good week.

is this anxiety?

I just had to look this up as I was unfamiliar with the events. It was odd. I'm glad that kick won the game because I'm not convinced he would have kept playing.
It was very underreported. My wife, who doesn’t watch a lot of football, asked what was wrong with him because it stood out. He basically had to be carried off the field after the game.

Do the Dolphins really want to sign Tua to a long term contract in 2025 with his concussion history? Penix makes sense here, to sit and learn in 2024. Given the weapons they have Penix can look just as good as he did in college. Penix had injury concerns early in his career, but those injuries are mendable. Concussions not so much. I know he stayed away from that injury in 2023, but one more bad one could be devastating.

Jordan Schultz
Michael Penix Jr. capped off an excellent week in Indy - great interviews and clean medicals - with a flawless throwing session. Ball was hummin in Indy!

High praise for Washington QB Michael Penix Jr. from a personnel director I spoke with at the Combine.

Mentioned Steve Young as a comp and said “Penix is a far better athlete than he’s been given credit for…”

“He’s is more of a pocket guy than Steve was, but I keep watching that Texas tape. Ball comes out so quick. He’s fast. He’ll run well here.”

I just look at the recap and the one thing that's haunted him is his medicals... he goes to the Combine, great medicals for him. I definitely can see him as a back half of the 1st round guy now and I hope the Giants move up from their 2nd round pick (#39, 2.7) to grab him.

If you look at the back half of the 1st round, every team after pick #14 doesn't need a QB.

15. Indianapolis
16. Seattle
17. Jacksonville
18. Cincinnati
19. LA Rams
20. Pittsburgh
21. Miami
22. Philadelphia
23. Houston (CLE)
24. Dallas
25. Green Bay
26. Tampa Bay
27. Arizona (HOU)
28. Buffalo
29. Detroit
30. Baltimore
31. San Francisco
32. Kansas City

Whomever moves into the latter stage of the 1st is getting him.

Last edited:
Whomever moves into the latter stage of the 1st is getting him.
Due to the obvious connection with Seattle and their tepid endorsement of Geno I think they are a candidate to trade back in round one for Penix but 16 is to high for him and if Seattle does trade back in round one I think he's headed to round two.

Great arm, good athlete, but inability to work middle of the field or function when he's knocked off his platform are to critical in the NFL and I also still think his medicals dog him, despite the report it was "all good".

Daniel Jeremiah
I’ve struggled to come up with a comp for Michael Penix. This one is best I’ve come up with- Sam Bradford. Similar frame, excellent arms & durability concerns.
That is exactly who I comped him to. Penix has the quickest release and perhaps the best arm in this class, especially on his deep passes, but his reliance on the pocket is reminiscent of Bradford. My concern with Penix, aside from his injury history, is how he will fare outside of a clean pocket.

That is exactly who I comped him to. Penix has the quickest release and perhaps the best arm in this class, especially on his deep passes, but his reliance on the pocket is reminiscent of Bradford. My concern with Penix, aside from his injury history, is how he will fare outside of a clean pocket.
He is just so interesting.

He puts more big boy impressive arm throws in a quarter than some of these guys do in a game. His deep and sideline passing might be top 10 in the NFL already.

But....two blown ACLs, on the same knee. And a dislocation on one shoulder, and a separation on the other.

But....No injuries in two years. The ACL stuff is like from 2020. That's a long time ago.

The 33rd Team
“There is no question that, based on his 2022 and 2023 tape, Penix is the best intermediate and deep-ball passer in the 2024 QB class.” 👀

Scouting report on Michael Penix Jr., from @gregcosell ⤵️

𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗚𝗧𝗛𝗦

- Good-sized quarterback with quick, compact delivery with little range of motion. Can generate velocity when it's demanded.
- Consistently plays with pocket mentality, looking to work through progressions and get the ball to receivers.
- Shows pocket traits of working through progressions and the subtle movement to avoid pressure and deliver.
- Makes intermediate throws vs. zone coverage with a refined sense of timing and anticipation. Aggressive.
- Flashes subtle pocket movement, maintaining his balance and throwing on-platform to deliver with a firm base.
- Has snaps in which he eliminated and isolated within structure and timing of route concept. Quick processor.
- Patient in the pocket working through progressions, comfortably coming to his checkdowns when necessary.
- Eyes and feet are consistently married as he works through progressions. Stays within structure of play.
- Shows the movement ability and awareness to make second-reaction throws. Can play outside of structure.
- High consistency level of precise ball location on different kinds of throws. Throws with velocity and touch.
- At his core is a timing- and rhythm-passer executing and distributing within the structure of the pass game.
- What consistently stands out is he's highly accountable to the system and the pass game concepts.
- In 2023, drove the ball with easy velocity. Threw a tight spiral that accelerated but was highly catchable.
- Shows arm strength to sit on his back foot in the pocket and make throws downfield with ball placement.
- Innate feel for the pocket with drops and sets that sync up effectively with route concepts. Executes pass game.
- Comfortable pocket movement to find a quiet place to deliver the ball. Re-sets platform to make vertical throws.
- Understands leverage of defenders and how that affects ball placement. Shows nuanced understanding of high-level pocket play.
- Has movement ability to make second-reaction off-script throws and enough functional mobility to make throws.

𝗪𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗦

- Throws with a wide base, which often makes it appear as if he is pushing the ball and working hard to throw it.
- Has a tendency to take an extra hitch in the pocket on intermediate throws with result being that he's often a beat late.
- In 2023, showed a low, almost-sidearm delivery that reduced his height significantly and made it appear as if he’s 5-foot-10.
- His ball placement must be more consistently precise for a pocket quarterback. Had too many misses on throws that were there.
- Overall ball placement is a bit erratic, and that’s a concern given that 95 percent of his game will be from the pocket.
- Fluctuates between absolute, pinpoint accuracy at all levels and scratch-your-head, can’t-believe-it misses.

Bleacher Report’s Jordan Schultz said an NFL coach told him QB Michael Penix is a “freak show” and “locked in first rounder” after his strong pro day.
Penix ran a 4.5 40-yard dash and posted a 36.5-inch vertical leap at Washington’s pro day. The five-year college prospect also displayed a rocket arm in front of several scouts and coaches. We don’t know much about this random coach, so we wouldn’t read too much into the quote at this time, but Penix clearly generated buzz with his workout. Penix has been viewed as a Day 2 pick throughout much of the pre-draft process, but it sounds like he could sneak into the first round if other coaches are talking about him in this light after Thursday’s pro day.

Giants need to trade up from the 2nd round NOW.

Don't see him falling out of the top 15 now. I just watched the Texas Sugar Bowl all throws/runs highlight and you can see that he has the athleticism that few were giving him credit for, but will have to now with the 4.5 forty in tow. Giants would probably need to trade down a few spots from six and take him there if they want him.

Users who are viewing this thread