What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collusion: Validation and Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Saint

Footballguy
Appreciate the guidance. 16 team league, start 1 QB / 1 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 FLEX RB/WR / 1 FLEX WR/TE / 1 PK / 1 DEF

Team A: Gives Terrance Williams and 2014 4th round pick

Team B: Gives Julio Jones and 2014 12th round pick

Team A requires Team B to make no trade with Team C until after Week 16

My opinion is that the trade doesn't look too egregious, except for the demand that Team B makes no trade with Team C. In my opinion, that's two teams actively working against a 3rd team, which smells like collusion, but stupid that they wrote it in the comments of the trade details.

So here's my questions:

1. Do you think it's collusionor a I over-reacting? (and no, I am not Team C, rather I am the commish of the league)
  2. What should be the penalty as this is a first offense?
My initial thinking on penalty.

• Reverse the trade
  • Lock the teams from trading for a period of 2 weeks
  • Stern warning that further trades of this nature will result in getting kicked out of the league.
Never had to deal with this before, so I want to make sure I temper this right.

Warning.

However, make it clear that Team B may trade with Team C at any time. The provision of said trade is not recognizable. If Team B and Team C want to make a trade before week 16... they are free to do so without penalty from Team A (not sure how Team A would penalize but if he had some power than no penalty).

Next time something like this is done whether it is in a "wink-wink" manner or actually stated... loss of all rookie picks the following year.

Yes, 2 teams are colluding against a 3rd. Usually an immediate banning from the league is in order. Depends on how friendly the league is I guess. Has the penalty for collusion ever been addressed? If these are experienced owners, there's no excuse for their actions. If they're relative noobs I could see cutting them some slack, but reversing the trade and a warning at a minimum.

ETA: I'd also make sure to get a screen shot of the agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 2 teams are colluding against a 3rd. Usually an immediate banning from the league is in order. Depends on how friendly the league is I guess. Has the penalty for collusion ever been addressed? If these are experienced owners, there's no excuse for their actions. If they're relative noobs I could see cutting them some slack, but reversing the trade and a warning at a minimum.
Experienced and friendly league. Never had a collusion issue before. Our rules state collusion would involve both owners explaining the rationale. If the rationale is not good, then the trade is revoked. Not sure how they would explain this, but I would think a penalty should be in order. I think banning is a bit extreme to be honest, but on second offense I see that as the immediate answer.

Appreciate the guidance. 16 team league, start 1 QB / 1 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 FLEX RB/WR / 1 FLEX WR/TE / 1 PK / 1 DEF

Team A: Gives Terrance Williams and 2014 4th round pick

Team B: Gives Julio Jones and 2014 12th round pick

Team A requires Team B to make no trade with Team C until after Week 16

My opinion is that the trade doesn't look too egregious, except for the demand that Team B makes no trade with Team C. In my opinion, that's two teams actively working against a 3rd team, which smells like collusion, but stupid that they wrote it in the comments of the trade details.

So here's my questions:

1. Do you think it's collusionor a I over-reacting? (and no, I am not Team C, rather I am the commish of the league)
  2. What should be the penalty as this is a first offense?
My initial thinking on penalty.

• Reverse the trade
  • Lock the teams from trading for a period of 2 weeks
  • Stern warning that further trades of this nature will result in getting kicked out of the league.
Never had to deal with this before, so I want to make sure I temper this right.
Julio for a rookie, unproven WR is pretty lopsided. That, on its own, isn't a show stopper. You have to let people manage their teams. However, the restriction from trading with another team is just wrong. You reverse the trade and ask these guys to find another league.

Trade that involves not trading with another team? Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get a different league.

The team receiving the sweetheart deal is the one ordering the conditions? Looks backwards to me. Regardless, it's a terrible trade and the conditions are ridiculous. League looks neither experienced nor friendly.

Reverse the trade at the very least. You can't let the trade go through but take out the clause that team B can't trade with team C.

My idea would be to reverse the trade and prohibit those two teams from trading with each other for the rest of the year and then dismiss them from the league at the end of the year. They colluded once they are bound to do it again.

Julio for a rookie, unproven WR is pretty lopsided. That, on its own, isn't a show stopper. You have to let people manage their teams. However, the restriction from trading with another team is just wrong. You reverse the trade and ask these guys to find another league.
Keep it mind they are getting draft picks for the next year. That offsets some of the issue. Basically Julio for a 4th and Williams for a 12th.

Trade that involves not trading with another team? Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get a different league.
I agree... never saw anything like this before. Ashamed to say it's an owner in my league, which is why I am addressing it immediately.

Reverse the trade at the very least. You can't let the trade go through but take out the clause that team B can't trade with team C.

My idea would be to reverse the trade and prohibit those two teams from trading with each other for the rest of the year and then dismiss them from the league at the end of the year. They colluded once they are bound to do it again.
Thanks msudaisy. Good thoughts.

I agree... never saw anything like this before. Ashamed to say it's an owner in my league, which is why I am addressing it immediately.
Tough situation if you're friends with the guys, but I've never been in a league where this idea was even mentioned. At the very least, you have to remove that clause. Then consider something further at the end of the season. I can't imagine the rest of the league not being pissed about it.Eta:what msu said

What kind of league is this? Dynasty, keeper (how many?), etc. Is there such thing as a redraft where you can trade future picks? Trying to wrap my head around how the pick exchange makes much difference.

Tough situation if you're friends with the guys, but I've never been in a league where this idea was even mentioned. At the very least, you have to remove that clause. Then consider something further at the end of the season. I can't imagine the rest of the league not being pissed about it.
Tell me about it. I like what msudaisy put out there. I am definitely reversing the trade and I like the idea on preventing them from trading with each other the remainder of the season. First time in league history we ever had anything like this. I don't want to kick them out on 1st offense as chances are they thought it was funny, but I want to set a very strong precedent that it won't be tolerated.

What kind of league is this? Dynasty, keeper (how many?), etc. Is there such thing as a redraft where you can trade future picks? Trying to wrap my head around how the pick exchange makes much difference.
It's a hybrid league. It's a 20-round redraft league with unlimited keepers (where keepers cost 2 rounds higher than where they are drafted... ie 6th round pick equates to 4th round keeper the following year). Players drafted in rounds 1-3 cannot be kept.

Basically the team trading Julio is stocking draft picks for next year, so he'll have two 4s in 2014, whereas the team getting Julio is "in it to win it in 2013".

They should be thrown out for stupidity alone for announcing that stipulation. Just out of curiosity, why the hate on Team C?

They should be thrown out for stupidity alone for announcing that stipulation. Just out of curiosity, why the hate on Team C?
Probably because he's one of the better teams in the league. No idea really.

Probably because he's one of the better teams in the league. No idea really.
Strange. Did team C have any comment, or doesn't he know?
Haven't asked him yet. I am hoping to address before he reads it. Talked to 2 other owners already on it and they are both irritated.

Users who are viewing this thread