What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (2 Viewers)

Hmmm, I never paid anything either time, even with the polyp they found. And we have a high deductible HSA plan.

scheduled mine for April 23rd, clenpiq is what they prescribed me and will hopefully make for an explosive Monday night/ Tuesday morning

So I heard back from my doctor and since I had 1 tubulovillous adenoma polyp (not cancerous), he recommends coming back in 1 year. It seems like the norm is 3 years for that type but family history seems to have pushed it up to one year. That sucks. Anyone else have a similar result? Do you know if that will still be considered preventative?

I'm 45 and have mine scheduled for May 13th (prep day is Mother's Day, unintentionally). Greatly appreciate all the wisdom shared as this post has been hilarious and informative.

I have a question on the fiscal piece and didn't see a lot in the thread. Obviously not the most important piece by a long shot, but I'm a little concerned after a vasectomy a while back that cost several thousand more than expected. I have a high deductible insurance plan and this procedure is covered as in-network preventative unless polyps are found, then would be diagnostic. Plus anesthesia. Just concerned because just the consult copay was $175. How much did some of you have to pay out of pocket? Thanks!
It was considered preventative so $0 minus a $40 copay. No clue what the rate was

Scheduled mine for 4/17. I have to take Miralax 2x/day for 10 days prior to the event. The rest of it looks like what you guys have posted above.
Hmmm, never heard of that. Seems excessive, imo. Is this a basic checkup or is there some other issue going on?
Dr wants to make sure I'm cleaned out. I'm not the most regular guy out there - going once every 3 days or so, hence the extra laxatives to jump start the clean out procedure.
Update....Been on the Miralax 2x/day for the last four days. Through the first 2, only one movement. By day 3 I've had two. By day 5 I've been releasing little **** bombs when I pass gas. So now any stomach rumble and I'm on the toilet just in case. Still have 3 more days of this until I start the actual Prep. Procedure scheduled for Wed afternoon.

So waiting on my results. They found and removed 4 polyps, but one was 25mm. I should find out the details today. Hoping for good news.

So I heard back from my doctor and since I had 1 tubulovillous adenoma polyp (not cancerous), he recommends coming back in 1 year. It seems like the norm is 3 years for that type but family history seems to have pushed it up to one year. That sucks. Anyone else have a similar result? Do you know if that will still be considered preventative?

I had 7 polyps removed and my guy said to come back in 3 years...might be because the california healthcare system is over-burdened...not sure. I'm good with 3 years.

Had the initial dr visit last week, will have first ever colonoscopy early May. Got the instructions of what I can and can’t eat leading up to procedure. Doesn’t sound like fun at all.

Last edited:
Completed this on Wednesday. Pretty non-eventful, so that's good. Was told I'm set for the next 10 years. They did share a few pics without any context, so I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor on those. But nothing major found.

TV adenomas are relatively high risk for cancerous transformation. And one year follow up usually means you have a lot (>10) of them. Or the highest risk of familial cancer, like Lynch syndrome.

But the endoscopist can use some discretion for follow up interval, if they’re concerned.

I still think it is considered preventative though.

I had 7 polyps removed and my guy said to come back in 3 years...might be because the california healthcare system is over-burdened...not sure. I'm good with 3 years.
That’s the standard interval.

TV adenomas are relatively high risk for cancerous transformation. And one year follow up usually means you have a lot (>10) of them. Or the highest risk of familial cancer, like Lynch syndrome.

But the endoscopist can use some discretion for follow up interval, if they’re concerned.

Thanks!
There was only the one. When I had my consultation, he implied that since my Mom had colon cancer at 73, it didn't necessarily mean it was genetic. He had no other info on her health besides that though. But I guess the one polyp along with that was enough to recommend a one year follow up. Hopefully insurance does treat it as preventative but I'll go next year either way.

Thanks!
There was only the one. When I had my consultation, he implied that since my Mom had colon cancer at 73, it didn't necessarily mean it was genetic. He had no other info on her health besides that though. But I guess the one polyp along with that was enough to recommend a one year follow up. Hopefully insurance does treat it as preventative but I'll go next year either way.
It sounds like he is erring on the side of caution, as I believe the 3 year interval still applies, given that background.

Insurers can be fickle, and look for excuses to minimize payment. But hopefully it won’t be an issue. You can always contact them proactively, if concerned.

Update to my adventure. Oct 2023 they determined my colon cancer spread to my liver (after surgery being a success) Some times they think they got it all but..... Anyway, any time cancer moves from one organ to another they deem it stage 4! That verbiage scared the living crap out of the wife and I!!! It is still colon cancer, it is just on my liver. So i have been on Chemo since November. The tumor has shrunk over 50% and all my numbers are going in the right direction! I'm hoping my current routine (chemo for 4 hours every other week and a portable chemo pump for a day after that) changes in June. Ideally i got once a month for a maint dose.

See your doctors, get that physical, get the colonoscopy. You just never know!! Be safe people!!
I hope the best for you all. I had my first colonoscopy beginning of Nov 22 @ age 57, they couldn't complete the procedure because of a donut shaped mass. 3 weeks later they cut the colon cancer out of me. I feel great, they got it all without chemo or radiation. I highly encourage everyone to get the procedure. I got lucky....

Update to my adventure. Oct 2023 they determined my colon cancer spread to my liver (after surgery being a success) Some times they think they got it all but..... Anyway, any time cancer moves from one organ to another they deem it stage 4! That verbiage scared the living crap out of the wife and I!!! It is still colon cancer, it is just on my liver. So i have been on Chemo since November. The tumor has shrunk over 50% and all my numbers are going in the right direction! I'm hoping my current routine (chemo for 4 hours every other week and a portable chemo pump for a day after that) changes in June. Ideally i got once a month for a maint dose.

See your doctors, get that physical, get the colonoscopy. You just never know!! Be safe people!!
I hope the best for you all. I had my first colonoscopy beginning of Nov 22 @ age 57, they couldn't complete the procedure because of a donut shaped mass. 3 weeks later they cut the colon cancer out of me. I feel great, they got it all without chemo or radiation. I highly encourage everyone to get the procedure. I got lucky....
man best of luck to you through all of this.

I started my prep today for tomorrow's colonoscopy, at 6pm tonight I'll drink my first dose of clenpiq and then at 2 am I'll wake up and drink my second dose.

man best of luck to you through all of this.

I started my prep today for tomorrow's colonoscopy, at 6pm tonight I'll drink my first dose of clenpiq and then at 2 am I'll wake up and drink my second dose.
Batten down the hatches

Sounds eerily similar to my father’s current situation. Colon cancer a few years back, we thought surgery got it all, 7 months ago we found out it was back and now in his lungs. Initially we didn’t know if he’d still be around by Xmas as when you hear “stage 4”, you immediately fear the worst. Everything has gone well since, with great reports around Xmas and another more recently around Easter. His mass is also down around 50% in ~6 months, and he’s also plugged in every other week for a few days then takes his “man bag” with him for two days before getting “unplugged”.

His only side effect has been extreme sensitivity to cold (found out the hard way with a milkshake after being unplugged one day). He said that milkshake lit his mouth up something fierce. My response was “so it didn’t bring all the boys to town?” He didn’t get the joke.

Sounds eerily similar to my father’s current situation. Colon cancer a few years back, we thought surgery got it all, 7 months ago we found out it was back and now in his lungs. Initially we didn’t know if he’d still be around by Xmas as when you hear “stage 4”, you immediately fear the worst. Everything has gone well since, with great reports around Xmas and another more recently around Easter. His mass is also down around 50% in ~6 months, and he’s also plugged in every other week for a few days then takes his “man bag” with him for two days before getting “unplugged”.

His only side effect has been extreme sensitivity to cold (found out the hard way with a milkshake after being unplugged one day). He said that milkshake lit his mouth up something fierce. My response was “so it didn’t bring all the boys to town?” He didn’t get the joke.
I got the same cold issue but told them to change the meds up! No way in hell I'm living in Las Vegas and can't have a cold drink or reach into my freezer!! Your dad and I definitely are traversing the same course!! Glad to hear he is 'shrinking' as well!!

They really need to stop calling it stage 4 unless it really is terminal!

Best of luck to you and pops!!

I got the same cold issue but told them to change the meds up! No way in hell I'm living in Las Vegas and can't have a cold drink or reach into my freezer!! Your dad and I definitely are traversing the same course!! Glad to hear he is 'shrinking' as well!!

Thanks. Gloves and scarves were big holiday gifts this year. May I ask your age?

My initial colonoscopy is a few weeks away, early 40s.

Thanks. Gloves and scarves were big holiday gifts this year. May I ask your age?

My initial colonoscopy is a few weeks away, early 40s.
59 Now

Just got my packet in the mail with my procedure instructions.
This will be my 3rd go-around so, not my first rodeo but the instructions seem different;
32oz of Miralax Gatoraid at 5pm ... and then the other 32 oz at 3am.
I don't remember ever getting out of bed at 3 am to drink 32 oz of Gatoraid.
Seems to me that you're not getting back into bed if you've got that stuff crashing thru your intestines.
Is everyone else having to do this? I might need to fabricate some type of pillow holder at the toilet.
Mine is similar. Buy a 14 dose bottle of Miralax and 2x28oz bottles of Gatorade. 5 days before stop taking any over the counter stuff (vitamins, etc). 2 days before start a "low residue" diet. 1 day before comes the clear diet. 4pm take 2 Dulcolax tablets. 6pm do the first bottle of gatorade/miralax. The 2nd bottle is 6 hours before the procedure and I won't know the procedure time until the day before. I suppose if I have an afternoon appt (doubtful) I could get a little sleep in (also doubtful).

Just got my packet in the mail with my procedure instructions.
This will be my 3rd go-around so, not my first rodeo but the instructions seem different;
32oz of Miralax Gatoraid at 5pm ... and then the other 32 oz at 3am.
I don't remember ever getting out of bed at 3 am to drink 32 oz of Gatoraid.
Seems to me that you're not getting back into bed if you've got that stuff crashing thru your intestines.
Is everyone else having to do this? I might need to fabricate some type of pillow holder at the toilet.
Ten years ago, the first time I did this, I played pickup basketball the morning of my prep. During prep, I never cramped so hard in my life. Leg muscles & abdomen. It was horrific.
Lesson learned. Last time and this time I purposely did nothing on my day of prep ... and the last thing I wanted to do was work up an apatite doing yard work.
I didn't eat anything this time. couple spoons of jello but didn't really need it. Had a headache coming on and thought something non-liquid might help.
The alarm going off at 3am was tough but I got up, drank the 32oz mix in about an hour, and went back to bed for a couple of hours. I may have gotten up once or twice to expel but at that point it was just yellow gatoraid coming out.
Doc said no polyps, a non bleeding internal hemorrhoid, nothing else to be concerned with. see you in 5 years.

I had my first colonoscopy right after I turned 50.. Around 2008-2009. The doctor found 14 polyps and referred to me as a "polyp factory". Of the 14, something like 10 were the "bad" kind. I have been going every three years ever since and they always find polyps... usually 4-6. I go for my next one on May 24. But dayyum, some of that bowel prep stuff is horrid. I know the first few colonoscopies I had, they made me go to the pharmacy and buy two bottles of magnesium citrate... that's some of the nastiest stuff known to man! I mean, they could interrogate prisoners at gitmo with that stuff. Or punish prisoners at ADX Florence with it. I have been keeping tabs on some of the more palatable preps that have become available in the last couple of years. I have now been prescribed Suflave, which I specifically requested. It is supposed to taste like Gatorade. I'll let you know how it is after I try it. https://www.suflave.com/

Users who are viewing this thread