What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts LT Tony Ugoh - looks like he's a bust (1 Viewer)

djcolts

Footballguy
According one of the Colts beat writers, Phillip Wilson, he's been benched for Charlie Johnson. For the last 2 weeks, the Colts "spin" was that Johnson was starting because of Ugoh's groin injury, but now they aren't spinning it that way anymore.

This is significant in a couple of ways:

1. For this season - the Colts will get, at best, mediocre LT play. Charlie Johnson simply isn't a starting caliber LT - and this will really hamstring the Colts offense the rest of the year. Ugoh really needed to develop into a starting LT, and that hasn't happened.

2. For next season - the Colts will have TWO big needs - OT and DT. These are two positions that generally need to be drafted early - it will be very tough to fill both holes in next year's draft.

According one of the Colts beat writers, Phillip Wilson, he's been benched for Charlie Johnson. For the last 2 weeks, the Colts "spin" was that Johnson was starting because of Ugoh's groin injury, but now they aren't spinning it that way anymore.This is significant in a couple of ways:1. For this season - the Colts will get, at best, mediocre LT play. Charlie Johnson simply isn't a starting caliber LT - and this will really hamstring the Colts offense the rest of the year. Ugoh really needed to develop into a starting LT, and that hasn't happened.2. For next season - the Colts will have TWO big needs - OT and DT. These are two positions that generally need to be drafted early - it will be very tough to fill both holes in next year's draft.
I think it's a tad early to lable Ugoh a "bust" - but there is no doubt that the entire OL has played below expectations this season. 69.4 rushing yards per game (32nd in the NFL) and a 3.3 yards-per-carry average (29th) illustrates their problems pretty accurately. However, more than just Ugoh's groin is hampering this line - Ryan Lilja hasn't been able to take the field and may have to be IR'd/waived, and Saturday missed a ton of time at the beginning of the season. The strength of the Colts' line had been its continuity, which has been shattered this year...Ugoh might be salvagable (time will tell), but I think there are more than 1 need along the OL to be addressed this off-season, not just at LT.

According one of the Colts beat writers, Phillip Wilson, he's been benched for Charlie Johnson. For the last 2 weeks, the Colts "spin" was that Johnson was starting because of Ugoh's groin injury, but now they aren't spinning it that way anymore.This is significant in a couple of ways:1. For this season - the Colts will get, at best, mediocre LT play. Charlie Johnson simply isn't a starting caliber LT - and this will really hamstring the Colts offense the rest of the year. Ugoh really needed to develop into a starting LT, and that hasn't happened.2. For next season - the Colts will have TWO big needs - OT and DT. These are two positions that generally need to be drafted early - it will be very tough to fill both holes in next year's draft.
I think it's a tad early to lable Ugoh a "bust" - but there is no doubt that the entire OL has played below expectations this season. 69.4 rushing yards per game (32nd in the NFL) and a 3.3 yards-per-carry average (29th) illustrates their problems pretty accurately. However, more than just Ugoh's groin is hampering this line - Ryan Lilja hasn't been able to take the field and may have to be IR'd/waived, and Saturday missed a ton of time at the beginning of the season. The strength of the Colts' line had been its continuity, which has been shattered this year...Ugoh might be salvagable (time will tell), but I think there are more than 1 need along the OL to be addressed this off-season, not just at LT.
They did draft three OC/OG types in the last draft, so I think patience would apply for the interior line positions. And, even though it may be ugly at times - there is at least some promise with those rookies. What concerns me about Ugoh is that he can't beat out Charlie Johnson, who basically has very slow feet for a left tackle. I thought last season that Charlie Johnson was so bad that I thought he was to blame for 2 of the Colts' 3 losses last season (along with WR injuries). I don't think he's much better this season.

Funny how in his rookie season he got good marks and comments from around football for how well he was doing. My concern is he has been some what injury prone and think that has more to do with it than whatever fishing trip this beat writer is trying to hook us into.

They did draft three OC/OG types in the last draft, so I think patience would apply for the interior line positions. And, even though it may be ugly at times - there is at least some promise with those rookies. What concerns me about Ugoh is that he can't beat out Charlie Johnson, who basically has very slow feet for a left tackle. I thought last season that Charlie Johnson was so bad that I thought he was to blame for 2 of the Colts' 3 losses last season (along with WR injuries). I don't think he's much better this season.
I'll pay special attention to Johnson's play vs. Green Bay (they are soft vs. the run, so if the Colts don't perform well in that phase this week it'll certainly be a red flag for their chances in the AFC, IMO). If Johnson is as bad as you indicate, KGB could have a big week...

I wonder if this means Dallas Clark will be held back to help block (like Heap in Baltimore, or McMichael in St. Louis) and kill his receiving numbers.

OR they'll go to more 2-TE sets and use the other guy as a blocker to help out the line.

Users who are viewing this thread