What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts Traning Camp Reports (1 Viewer)

pizzatyme

Footballguy
I was at camp today. I'd say 60/40 split favoring DHB over Hilton for 1st team reps. Of note, every WR played all 4 positions on the field in rotation. Lots of motion, 3 WR, 2 TE, 4WR Sets.

Lavon Brazil dropped more passes than he caught in 7/7 and 11/11 drills.

Ahmad Bradshaw out if the boot but just a spectator.

Reggie Wayne is still going to be a beast this year and was in mid-season form with 2 spectacular catches. However, his last play on offense he tweaked a hamstring. He did take passes from the Juggs machine afterwards, so I'm guessing it's not serious.

Griff (sp?) Whalen catches everything in sight and looks like a Collie clone. I think he makes Brazil expendable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate this, and any additional observations you can give.

Any info on who was returning punts and kicks?

Greg Russell said:
Appreciate this, and any additional observations you can give.

Any info on who was returning punts and kicks?
Hilton has been on punt returns. Kick returns is a fight between a couple of people, but I expect Kerwynn Williams to win the job.

I was at camp today. I'd say 60/40 split favoring DHB over Hilton for 1st team reps. Of note, every WR played all 4 positions on the field in rotation. Lots of motion, 3 WR, 2 TE, 4WR Sets.

Lavon Brazil dropped more passes than he caught in 7/7 and 11/11 drills.

Ahmad Bradshaw out if the boot but just a spectator.

Reggie Wayne is still going to be a beast this year and was in mid-season form with 2 spectacular catches. However, his last play on offense he tweaked a hamstring. He did take passes from the Juggs machine afterwards, so I'm guessing it's not serious.

Griff (sp?) Whalen catches everything in sight and looks like a Collie clone. I think he makes Brazil expendable.
Does anyone else think Brazill is in jeopardy of not making the team? I'm sure the suspension hurts him but I thought he still had some value and potential.

Boilerdave, I think he holds value as long as he performs in preseason. I don't see any wow factor with him, but have heard the Colts think of him as a Pierre Garçon-type.

I'm looking at:

Wayne

Hilton

DHB

Griffin

Brazill

Do they keep 5 on the 53 man roster? Maybe so, but with their plan to run more 2TE sets, I'd think they keep an extra TE.

Who knows? It was just some over-exhuberance on my part maybe with how Griffin has looked thus far.

ok cool...thanks for the update and first hand observations pizzatyme.

I heard a local Indy sports reporter this morning saying DHB had dropped some catchable balls yesterday. I have high hopes for him but that doesn't sound good at this (early) point.

Especially since that has always been the knock on him. I think we get more of the same from DHB. I think we will see what we've always seen. A few flashes but not enough consistency to carve out any kind of leading role. mfl has his projection at 55, 750, 4. I think that's about right.

I think I'm headed back there on Friday. If so, anything in particular you guys want an observation on?

So far I have:

PR/KR duties

Offensive skill positions

ok cool...thanks for the update and first hand observations pizzatyme.

I heard a local Indy sports reporter this morning saying DHB had dropped some catchable balls yesterday. I have high hopes for him but that doesn't sound good at this (early) point.
Hmm. It's been the opposite according to the Colts website. Got a link?

How does Luck look?

How does Pep's new offense look? A lot of heavy 2 TE sets like his Stanford days? Who was Luck targeting the most? How did Vick look?

Curious how Ballard looks, and what this delay in Bradshaw getting on the field means for the RB rotation. It was first thought that Bradshaw would be the guy, but I'm not so sure. The team has always seemed to love Ballard and what he brings to the table. Is it possible that he's 1st and 2nd down guy with Bradshaw playing the 3rd down/receiving role?

Feels like a mess, but as a Ballard dynasty owner that doesn't want to sink assets into acquiring Bradshaw, I'm curious whether I should ride this out or deal Ballard for whatever I can get now.

Curious how Ballard looks, and what this delay in Bradshaw getting on the field means for the RB rotation. It was first thought that Bradshaw would be the guy, but I'm not so sure. The team has always seemed to love Ballard and what he brings to the table. Is it possible that he's 1st and 2nd down guy with Bradshaw playing the 3rd down/receiving role?

Feels like a mess, but as a Ballard dynasty owner that doesn't want to sink assets into acquiring Bradshaw, I'm curious whether I should ride this out or deal Ballard for whatever I can get now.
Bradshaw is always going to be in the walking boot, and will practice "light". Don't read too much into that, however - it's always been this way with him. He does have foot issues, and will miss some time, but he's one of those guys that gets to practice sparingly and still hold his job/play on Sunday. Unless Bradshaw is injured where he actually can't play, I don't see Ballard beating him out for the lion's share of touches. As any Giant fan will tell you, when he plays, Bradshaw is really good.

Luck has looked very crisp. He has had 2 interceptions thus far.

Ballard looks faster to my eyes. Bradshaw looks like he has gained a few lbs. Maybe from inactivity from the boot?

11 on 11 has been productive but it is too early as they were just in shells and not full pads.

I'd imagine the offense starts to gain the upper hand even more than they have now.

I must say that the defense was rejuvenated and spry so far. I think they love LaRon Landry!

KFFL) Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano has been impressive the work of WR T.Y. Hilton so far during training camp. "That guy's a freak. I'd hate to be the guy on the opposite side of the ball (of Hilton). He just keeps growing. He's put so much time in, not only in the weight room, but in the classroom. Really impressed with his start and where he's going," Pagano said Tuesday, July 30.

Anything on Fleener/Allen?

Btw, I miss the training camps being in Terre Haute.
Fleener has been playing lights out apparently. Pep today said it was the best training camp he'd ever seen from him, including all his ones at Stanford and a couple of the beat writers have said he has been the best performer in training camp so far.

Allen has also played well, but is apparently involved in the passing game less than Fleener, which is why there hasn't been much mention of him.

I just left camp and here are my observations:

Bradshaw is definitely out of the boot.

He looks like he needs to drop 10 lbs.

Ballard is taking 90% of the 1st team snaps.

Delone Carter looks like the short yardage back.

Colts working primarily on 3WR and empty backfield sets today. Lots of motion from the TEs and RB.

When they go 3WR with Fleener in the slot this year, watch for Fleener and Hilton to get WIDE open running seam routes. Those and chair routes/slants are nearly indefensible.

I think Allen will be 4-6 TD guy and Fleener 10-12 TD. I'm guessing Allen has 40% of the TE touches. Just guesses based on the percentage of practice reps.

Luck was crisp on his passes and threw 3 TDs with Zero interceptions in 11/11 drills.

Best pass of the day was a deep ball by Hasselbeck to Hilton for a 70yd TD.

On the flip side, defense looked good on most plays. Corners were ball hawking and the windows were very tight on most receptions to the outside.

Conner and Freeman were the inside backers.

Hilton returned the only punt of the day.

For what it's worth, Vinatieri was dressed but didn't kick. However, Pat Macafee the punter was kicking FGs from 60 yards. That's right!

Also, Lavon Brazill was not dressed.

Finally, DHB looked like he was running better routes and was in sync with Luck.

For those wondering about the Colts offense, I think it may take a few weeks to really get going, but look out! The new OC Pep Hamilton has them moving, and running new routes.

There you have it.

I think Fleener is slightly faster than Allen, so Allen has bulked up to play the dual role of blocking and catching. Fleener is lean and will definitely be the primary TE target on the majority of plays.

Nothing about Griff?
Just normal today. I actually saw him drop one in passing tree warmups.

He had less reps with the 1s today than last time I saw them.

I think that's a result of the Colts installing more of their offense with the 1s.

Users who are viewing this thread