What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish owning multiple teams in MFL League (1 Viewer)

We recently had a commissioner step down and someone volunteered to take over. Out of the blue, 3 teams were replaced in a matter of minutes (one team even forced out). No information has been given about these owners (where they came from, etc...). Commish and 'owners' of these teams log in the same time (even at 4 am EST when I happened to be getting home & they've all made several questionable deals in a 2 day span)

We do have LeagueSafe with a majority approval for funds, but if the same guy owns 4 teams.....it really doesn't guarantee much help. (12 team league but teams out of contention could just stop paying attention etc...)

It's not a huge $$ league but would rather just bow out beforehand if it is the case. Can MFL give info if the same person is logging into these squads?? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently had a commissioner step down and someone volunteered to take over. Out of the blue, 3 teams were replaced in a matter of minutes (one team even forced out). No information has been given about these owners (where they came from, etc...). Commish and 'owners' of these teams log in the same time (even at 4 am EST when I happened to be getting home & they've all made several questionable deals in a 2 day span)We do have LeagueSafe with a majority approval for funds, but if the same guy owns 4 teams.....it really doesn't guarantee much help. (12 team league but teams out of contention could just stop paying attention etc...)It's not a huge $$ league but would rather just bow out beforehand if it is the case. Can MFL give info if the same person is logging into these squads?? Thanks
wow. So many a holes getting into our hobby doing this kind of crap. So sorry to you and the honest guys in your league.

New owners in my league are voted on for inclusion. In your case, I'd ask for phone numbers for the new teams "because texting is alot faster than email". Please post the commish's response here. :popcorn:

If you don't get a timely reply from the new commish on your inquiries something is amiss. I'd bolt this league as soon as possible.

Agree with the other guys - find out or get out.

Even if it's a free league it's no fun playing with cheaters.

Asking for phone numbers is a good idea.

I've been lucky in that all the leagues I've been in have had the drafts in person (so we meet each owner) or have been run by people I trust.

If your commish doesn't give you quick, open answers I'd leave.

We recently had a commissioner step down and someone volunteered to take over. Out of the blue, 3 teams were replaced in a matter of minutes (one team even forced out). No information has been given about these owners (where they came from, etc...). Commish and 'owners' of these teams log in the same time (even at 4 am EST when I happened to be getting home & they've all made several questionable deals in a 2 day span)We do have LeagueSafe with a majority approval for funds, but if the same guy owns 4 teams.....it really doesn't guarantee much help. (12 team league but teams out of contention could just stop paying attention etc...)It's not a huge $$ league but would rather just bow out beforehand if it is the case. Can MFL give info if the same person is logging into these squads?? Thanks
I would imagine MFL has the ability to check.

Asking for phone numbers is a good idea.
I would never consider owning two teams in same league and I would never consider giving out my phone number either unless I already knew the guy(s) in the league. There's a lot of donkeys on this forum. One of them has been borderline stalking me without having my phone number.There are plenty of leagues out there. If you don't like the way the current one is being run, step aside and find a new one.

A few years ago I asked MFL to display the IP address used to submit lineups, etc. and they were able to do it. The IP address showed up as an additional column on the transactions report. They should be able to tell you if the four teams are using the same computer/ISP.

A few years ago I asked MFL to display the IP address used to submit lineups, etc. and they were able to do it. The IP address showed up as an additional column on the transactions report. They should be able to tell you if the four teams are using the same computer/ISP.
:goodposting: I was also in a league where another owner requested this and accused some people of cheating, and then I talked to the MFL people and saw different IP addresses for each of the accused owners, and the accuser looked like a real #####. But they can get you this information, I would be 100% sure before you make accusations towards anyone.

:goodposting: I was also in a league where another owner requested this and accused some people of cheating, and then I talked to the MFL people and saw different IP addresses for each of the accused owners, and the accuser looked like a real #####. But they can get you this information, I would be 100% sure before you make accusations towards anyone.
I had to do this in one of my leagues once.Thing is, IP addresses don't always tell the whole story. Have MFL show the IPs and then you can look them up (many sites offer this service) to determine where they are located. Someone could use their home computer for one team and a work computer for the other. So, if you look up both IP addresses and their locations are close, it is probably the same person.Good luck.

New owners in my league are voted on for inclusion. In your case, I'd ask for phone numbers for the new teams "because texting is alot faster than email". Please post the commish's response here. :popcorn:
I like the IP idea, but I would do this one first (mostly for the entertainment value). It is certainly not an outlandish request, and if he says "Well, I don't have that info", just nicely press him as to why not. Still play dumb, but I think everyone is entitled to know who they are playing with/against.

He may be using different email addresses, but they would still probobly have his name in the email address, unless he created them just for fantasy. Send the owners emails asking questions about trades or something, and see what the name is when they reply.

IP addresses are ridiculously easy to alter. I wouldn't trust a unique IP address to be a unique person ever. Hrm, this actually gives me an idea for a fantasy related service.

IP addresses are ridiculously easy to alter. I wouldn't trust a unique IP address to be a unique person ever. Hrm, this actually gives me an idea for a fantasy related service.
It's at least worth a try though - if all IP addresses are the same you can still draw the conclusion it's the same person, even if a set of different IP addresses tells you nothing. And the person may not even be aware of Tor (assuming they are cheating). If the person is cheating, then they are being pretty dumb about it so far.Email addresses and names may not tell you anything either. I use a separate email address for each MFL league I'm in which is just the name of my team. I also don't use my real name or post my phone number. And I'm just a non-cheating fantasy football player.

He may be using different email addresses, but they would still probobly have his name in the email address, unless he created them just for fantasy. Send the owners emails asking questions about trades or something, and see what the name is when they reply.
This.... but get the IP addresses from the email headers. If you do the IP thing from MFL he might notice and use a proxy to set lineups. Email the guys welcoming them to the league or w/ a trade offer and check the headers.

I'd start with mailing MFL about the IP addresses. I imagine most people either don't know about IP spoofing, or wouldn't spend the time doing it for something like this even if they did.

'Greg Russell said:
I'd start with mailing MFL about the IP addresses. I imagine most people either don't know about IP spoofing, or wouldn't spend the time doing it for something like this even if they did.
:goodposting: If it is the same guy he is doing it from the same computer. Otherwise he would not be logging in all at the same time.

Set up a conference call with the owners you suspect as cheating asking them to be online at the same time. If you get different people on the line and both are logged into the league and posting messages at the same time you know they are legit. If they refuse to do it, then you know they are probably the same person.

Set up a conference call with the owners you suspect as cheating asking them to be online at the same time. If you get different people on the line and both are logged into the league and posting messages at the same time you know they are legit. If they refuse to do it, then you know they are probably the same person.
He could easily log in on different browsers and/or mobile devices.

He could easily log in on different browsers and/or mobile devices.
Request a video chat with both at the same time. While posting on the league message board at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
'scientist said:
'oldmoney said:
It's at least worth a try though - if all IP addresses are the same you can still draw the conclusion it's the same person, even if a set of different IP addresses tells you nothing. And the person may not even be aware of Tor (assuming they are cheating). If the person is cheating, then they are being pretty dumb about it so far.Email addresses and names may not tell you anything either. I use a separate email address for each MFL league I'm in which is just the name of my team. I also don't use my real name or post my phone number. And I'm just a non-cheating fantasy football player.
If you aren't willing to use your name and phone number with your leaguemates then you are just another team owned by the commish.

Users who are viewing this thread