What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (3 Viewers)

Band of Horses tonight.  Pretty pumped.  
Lost track of these guys when Infinite Arms follow up was underwhelming, but would be interested to know your impressions, as they head to my area in the next week or so.

Sort of Classic rock doubleheader for me this weekend...DSO Saturday and Jeff Beck/Paul Rodgers/Ann Wilson show Sunday.

Lost track of these guys when Infinite Arms follow up was underwhelming, but would be interested to know your impressions, as they head to my area in the next week or so.
I love Mirage Rock and really like Why Are You OK.

My only concern is the ongoing shuffle of band members.  Two of the guys who were involved in the last few albums left last year, so I don't think I've heard anything from the current lineup.

Erasure was pretty awesome last night.  These guys are still going strong on their latest 401k tour.  It was interesting that St. Pete was the 2nd stop on the tour.  Andy Bell lives in Miami so it makes sense I suppose.  Next up for me is David Byrne at the end of September.  I’ve already seen 4 shows since May which is more concerts than the rest of the time I’ve lived in FL.  Great summer so far.   :thumbup:
Just got back from the Erasure show here in Austin. What a great show. So much energy from start to finish. Good stuff.

On vacation in Charleston and saw Hootie and the Blowfish in this pro-tennis stadium in the city.  Great show, played for 1 hour 45 minutes, lots of jamming, and there was something really really cool about seeing a pretty iconic 90's band, that so represents and loves their hometown, in their hometown.

Darius was in great voice, their second encore and the show ended with a cover of Champagne Supernova.  Awesome. 

On vacation in Charleston and saw Hootie and the Blowfish in this pro-tennis stadium in the city.  Great show, played for 1 hour 45 minutes, lots of jamming, and there was something really really cool about seeing a pretty iconic 90's band, that so represents and loves their hometown, in their hometown.

Darius was in great voice, their second encore and the show ended with a cover of Champagne Supernova.  Awesome. 
I was there last night as well and had a great time. Loved when Darius was trolling the Tarheel and Clemson fans. 

Also I was shocked when the Mayor got on the keyboard. He was pretty good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gin Blossoms played two free shows here over the weekend. I caught the first one on Friday night. Sounded really good, Robin Wilson was sarcastic and funny, and I think I'll give the new album a shot on Spotify. They did a really good job. 

Definitely.  Will post them here to help out any other FBGs (or to solicit additional advice).

Since you are in the pavilion, no need to worry about going in at the right time to catch the best seat on the lawn.  For the pavilion, the 100's are closest to stage, 200's are furthest to stage.  Sections 102/202 are the center of the pavilion, Sections 100-101/200-201 are considered the "Walt" side (for the Walt Whitman Bridge to Philly) and Sections 103-104/203-204 are considered the "Ben" side (for the Ben Franklin Bridge to Philly).  Reason I note this is because I like to park on the side of the building where my seats are (I typically swing for seats on the Walt side) to make getting out of there easier logistics.  Parking is $30 (or $40 if you picked up VIP parking during the on-sale), unless you head to Victor's Pub (on Ben side) before the game and spend $40+, which allows you to park there during the show for free and just a five minute walk to the venue.  Sometimes, you can grab a VIP parking pass from StubHub - if you do, make sure it's actually on the NJ side and not the PA side where you then have to take the ferry across to the venue - VIP Lot 1 passes are the best for the Walt side, as that lot is right outside of the entry gates.  A handicap placard does allow you to park in the VIP lots with a gameday price of $30.

If it's a sold out show, I try to get there about 20-30 minutes after lots open and tailgate up until when I want to go into the venue.  If you try to time it "just right", you may get stuck in some heavy traffic as all of the ways into the venue lots are through city streets, so I will try to eliminate that unknown if I can.  Same for going into the venue - I try to go in 30 minutes before the first artist I want to see in case it's backed up going in through security.  You are allowed one unopened bottle of water per person. 

Assuming the artist has a "standard" setlist, if it's a work night we typically start walking out after the guitar solo of that last song.  Puts me in front of 80% of the crowd heading out and prevents me from getting caught up in traffic heading out.  Camden is not the greatest of neighborhoods, so I typically stick to getting out as quick as possible after the show and I don't go sightseeing.  If my seats are in the center of pavilion or Ben side and I happened to park on Walt side for tailgating, then I will try to hang out on the Walt side of pavilion for the last song of the show by sliding into an empty row.  Tailgating is fine for any of the lots around the venue - work everything through a red Solo cup and should have no issues, although security is pretty good about giving 1st warnings if you are not acting crazy.

Follow the venue on Twitter for details on when the lot open, gates open and possibly set times.  Another way to get the set times is to go by the snack stands in the pavilions at either end (Ben or Walt) of the venue as you enter - they typically will post them on the side of one or two of the pretzel or popcorn machines.  Food options other than pretzel or popcorn are at the OUTSIDE stands at either end of the lawn section - Chickie and Pete's Crab Fries at either end, Guy Fieri burgers only on the Ben side.  Pretty easy to traverse from Ben to Walt side as there is a walking channel between the pavilion and the lawn to allow for this.  Ben side is along the Delaware River across from Philly - you can check out the Battleship NJ that is parked there if you take a walk back (that is also where they would setup any "B" stage for a festival concert date).  Bathrooms in each of the pavilions or outside near the food stands.

Lastly, BB&T Pavilion has a seriously good beer game - probably about 25+ different stands from various local breweries, plus every standard brand.  When I counted last year, I think I saw about 75 different varieties of beer from your standard Bud/Coors/Miller up to the various craft styles on tap.
Is the venue near the water?  We've never been to Camden and were thinking of headed down a little early and grabbing dinner nearby.

Any suggestions?

Saw Stapleton for the 2nd time.  Unreal and he's getting so comfortable performing in big venues as the headliner.  My favorite performer out there right now - rare talent.  As a bonus we went to the new Yardbird in LA before driving up the street to the Forum.  Fried chicken, Old Fashioned's, Stapleton.  Perfect night.

Is the venue near the water?  We've never been to Camden and were thinking of headed down a little early and grabbing dinner nearby.

Any suggestions?
Sorry, just saw this.  We normally just tailgate, but the place is right on the water and there is a ferry from Philadelphia that can bring you across.  My friends have only done the aforementioned Victors Pub in Camden itself (and they have gone multiple times, so I guess that’s a positive - but we haven’t been there yet), so I cannot speak for anywhere else.

Sorry, just saw this.  We normally just tailgate, but the place is right on the water and there is a ferry from Philadelphia that can bring you across.  My friends have only done the aforementioned Victors Pub in Camden itself (and they have gone multiple times, so I guess that’s a positive - but we haven’t been there yet), so I cannot speak for anywhere else.
No worries.  We parked in the lot just up the street from Victor's, about a 1/2 mile walk into the venue.  While Camden seemed kinda shady (lotsa homeless) the venue was awesome.  

I thought Little Big Town and Miranda were pretty awesome, particularly the 7 or so songs they did together at the end.  Great stuff. 

At steve Miller and peter frampton right now.  Mainly for the beer in a great outdoor setting.   Frampton is absolutely brutal.   Everyone is asleep.  

No worries.  We parked in the lot just up the street from Victor's, about a 1/2 mile walk into the venue.  While Camden seemed kinda shady (lotsa homeless) the venue was awesome.  

I thought Little Big Town and Miranda were pretty awesome, particularly the 7 or so songs they did together at the end.  Great stuff. 
Agree on all of your points - that venue is the better of the two NJ LiveNation sheds.  Wish I had recalled the thread - would have reached out before the show.  

So I assume Steve Miller's not worth going to see any more?
So Frampton played 9 songs.  On six of them, he prefaced the song with incredibly long stories that no one gave a shot about.  Total buzz kill. Worst performance I've ever seen by a band.  Zero energy from the crowd.  

Miller came on and played 5 songs and brought some of the energy back. Then he has Frampton come out to play two songs no one knew.  And another five minute story before the first of them that just killed the momentum from the first five Miller songs. 

Miller played 18 to 20 songs.  The last five were his all time faves and that was good, but at the same time, the whole thing was just meh.

Seriously left me excited to go see styx tomorrow night at the fair for free. That's how bad it was and how I felt robbed of my rock and roll fix.  

I've seen steely dan and tears for fears at this great, outdoor setting before and they were easily both 5x better than last night.  

Gov't Mule tonight.  

While I love the Allman bros. I never got into Mule and don't really know much about their catalog, and I really don't like Warren's voice.  So going in with low expectations.

Gov't Mule tonight.  

While I love the Allman bros. I never got into Mule and don't really know much about their catalog, and I really don't like Warren's voice.  So going in with low expectations.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised, Mule has brought it everytime I've seen them live.

Gov't Mule tonight.  

I have to say, halfway in to this I was fairly unimpressed and almost bored.  But then Warren switched guitars and the tone of the songs changed.  Last half included Soulshine, some jams that incorporated Stones and Grateful Dead, and an encore of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well and Neil Young's Down By The River, all which was pretty awesome.

Magpie Salute opened, and I thought they were pretty good.  High Water is an awesome song live.

Three shows over the past few weeks:

Jason Aldean/Luke Combs/Lauren Alaina/DJ Silver - MSG - if you like Aldean’s albums, the songs sound just the same in concert.  High energy for most of the night, especially with the DJ spinning the tunes between acts.  If you have seen Aldean before, it’s roughly the same type of show - just different staging and some new tunes.  My 5th time seeing him, as his hair metal-esque guitar sound fits my mental file drawer quite nicely.  The highlight was seeing Combs live for the first time - some nice tunes and a great voice (although not as good as Stapleton).  Walked in on Alania’s set - couple of catchy songs, but if you have a good tailgate going, you are not missing that much.  Seems like at MSG she had her full band for the first time this tour, so maybe I caught a different type of set from her.

The Gaslight Anthem/Dave Hause and The Mermaid - Stone Pony Summer Stage - celebrating the 10th anniversary of their breakout album “The ‘59 Sound”, NJ’s TGA temporarily got back together after a short hiatus for a series of shows in America and Europe over the summer, ending with a three show run at the Pony SS.  The playing of “The ‘59 Sound” album in its entirety was the centerpiece of the show and did not disappoint - from the initial four song cannon shot of “Great Expectations”/“The ‘59 Sound”/“Old White Lincoln”/“High Lonesome” to ending with the album closing “The Backseat”, the band was tight.  All those years/tours of hearing “The Backseat” as the final song of the night had made me a little bitter towards hearing that one live, but it’s really a great song so I really enjoyed it this night.  Rest of the show was a collection of singles and deep cuts from their other albums, with no special guest stars other than the opening acts joining in for a song each after the playing of “The ‘59 Sound”.  We went to Friday’s show specifically to catch Dave Hause and The Mermaid as the opener and they put on a great set as well.  If Sunday’s show was the last one we ever get from TGA, glad to hear that they switched things up that final night and ended the show with the song “The ‘59 Sound”.

Miranda Lambert/Little Big Town/Turnpike Troubadours - Camden - a really nice combo of Miranda/LBT to headline this show of their “Bandwagon “ tour, as their voices work very well together in the encore set with both bands onstage ala Chicago/(insert ‘70’s rock band) with their annual shed pilgrimage.  Both of these co-headliners had individual main sets as well, with LBT hitting the stage first with a nice 13 song set that featured all four members as various points.  Miranda came on quickly afterwards, as the staging allows for LBT’s drums and risers to stay in place for their return (and the “Bandwagon Jukebox” keeps you informed when Miranda will be onstage).  Went into the show liking Miranda more than LBT, but came out with the opposite view - LBT’s set sped by while Miranda’s dragged a little in the middle.  First time seeing openers Turnpike Troubadours and enjoyed their set, even as I created alternative names for them in between songs to the dismay of the family in front of me (“way to go Autobahn Artists”, “that’s the way you play it Causeway Crooners”, “great song Parkway Pickers”, you get the drift).

I was surprised to hear a radio spot for the 2018 Roy Orbison tour, given that he’s been dead for 30 years. Apparently they are bringing him back in hologram form performing with a live band. 

Surprisingly I don’t find myself vehemently opposed to this. Maybe this technology will take off and we will get to see all the other old timers in their prime again. 

I was surprised to hear a radio spot for the 2018 Roy Orbison tour, given that he’s been dead for 30 years. Apparently they are bringing him back in hologram form performing with a live band. 

Surprisingly I don’t find myself vehemently opposed to this. Maybe this technology will take off and we will get to see all the other old timers in their prime again. 
They could start with Roy and the Traveling Wilburys.

Got good tickets to see Arlo Guthrie's 50th anniversary Alice's Restaurant tour in February, and to create a nuisance. Will report back then. 

Been a decent summer of shows for me.

Saw Jack White in Toronto and he slayed as usual.  Then saw the Foos at the Rogers center.  Holds over 50,000 and they KILLED it.  Also have seen July Talk a couple of times as well as my fav new up and coming band The Beaches....I highly recommend you check them up.

Saw Loverboy here in London.  Mike Reno has no voice left, but his band remains tight.

Got tix again for Jack White here in London, and may take my boys to the Foos in Detroit

Pretty decent

Just booked Santana in Vegas. 1st time. Going on Sat night before the SuperBowl. Should be a great Vegas weekend. Anybody been to his residency at the House of Blues? Tiny venue - would think it would be good. 

I'm intrigued by this upcoming Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus tour. It's billed as Baker and Bridgers w/ guest Dacus but the three of them are also releasing an EP together under the name boygenius. 

I actually like Lucy Dacus the best of the three and find Baker a bit too mopey, which is why I'm not immediately jumping at it. 

Saw Def Leppard and Journey on Fri night at Busch Stadium.  Def Leppard killed it.  Journey sounded good ... up until the point that their sound system kept cutting out for a second or two.  Happened about a dozen times on the 2nd half of their set.  Very frustrating.

Saw Def Leppard and Journey on Fri night at Busch Stadium.  Def Leppard killed it.  Journey sounded good ... up until the point that their sound system kept cutting out for a second or two.  Happened about a dozen times on the 2nd half of their set.  Very frustrating.
This has been an issue all tour with Journey’s sound poorly mixed.  Saw them in Hershey, Pennsylvania over Memorial Day and it was exactly as you described it...DL excellent set, Journey plagued by sound issues (and gratuitous extended instrumental solos).

This has been an issue all tour with Journey’s sound poorly mixed.  Saw them in Hershey, Pennsylvania over Memorial Day and it was exactly as you described it...DL excellent set, Journey plagued by sound issues (and gratuitous extended instrumental solos).
Wow, how can a band that big not fix things?

Anyone here seen OK GO in concert?  Got an alert about them doing a show this fall where they will play their songs live synced with their best videos shown on a big screen behind them, and stopping between songs to talk about the making of their videos and field questions about their process.  Was curious is any readers of this thread had seen a version of this show.  OK GO isn't my favorite band - I like their music just fine but haven't gone out of my way to listen to them - but their videos are awesome and a making-of with real insight seems intriguing.
That sounds ####ing horrible

Heard the exact opposite thing about the show at Wrigley.

Epic Problem said:
Heard the exact opposite thing about the show at Wrigley.
Can only personally speak to the Hershey show, but it was so bad a lot of people left early in Journey's set (DL opened, Journey closed that night).

Have seen similar complaints from other venues they've played at...maybe they got it right for Wrigley.

Can only personally speak to the Hershey show, but it was so bad a lot of people left early in Journey's set (DL opened, Journey closed that night).

Have seen similar complaints from other venues they've played at...maybe they got it right for Wrigley.
Slots were flipped at Wrigley. Journey opened and supposedly killed and DL closed and sucked. Maybe this has something to do with the sound guys sucking at their job and unable to adapt to the needs of two different bands on the same night. 

For anyone planning to see Neko Case this tour, I hope you like her new record since she does almost every song on it.  I'm one of those sticks in the mud who pines for the older stuff, but she never disappoints and this show is no different. We saw the first show on her tour and she had a few false starts and other mistakes, but she's such a pro she handled it in stride.

Thao opened, without her band - was very good as expected.

Saw Leon Bridges at the Santa Barbara Bowl on Wednesday.  He is a lot of fun to see live - interacts with the crowd well but keeps it moving.  Liked the band he had backing him too.  Khruangbin opened for him - they were pretty groovy.  

Eagles were freakin awesome. Glenn Frey’s son sounds just like him and Vince Gill was great. 2 1/2 hours. Joe Walsh brought the energy. Henley in rare form even though I wish he did more of his solo stuff. 27 or so songs. If they come your way don’t miss it. 
I missed this show when they came through the Maryland area.  Heard it was great.  I did see them about 4 weeks before Glen Frey passed away and I remember them being high energy and long playing that night.  Love me some Joe Walsh. 

Dierks Bentley at the Garden was pretty good last Saturday.  Brothers Osbourne played before Dierks and killed it (that guitar player is great) while Lanco was worth seeing as the opener.
This was tied with Imagine Dragons as my favorite show of the summer.  Each act was really  jamming and the BO guitar guy is something, particularly for a country dude.  Dirks just was extremely likable and had fun the entire set. 

Users who are viewing this thread