What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Contract Leagues (1 Viewer)

hoofnstang

Footballguy
Are any of you in leagues that require you to assign your players contracts? If so, what are your strategies when assigning contracts?

I'm looking for stratgies on this, places to get things such as NFL contract info, player age and anything else that would be useful in assigning contracts.

I play in a contract league with a cap on the number of total contract years we can have outstanding at any time (sort of a combination contract/salary cap)...you can find player ages on any stats site (profootballreference.com, nfl.com, yahoo.com, etc)...

As for strategies I generally try not to look too far ahead as our contracts are guaranteed (so a long contract to a bad player can cost you for a long time)...the longest I've ever granted was 4 years, as a lot can change in the NFL in 3 or 4 years...I try to stagger the expiration terms at the key position, for example I have a RB1 whose contract expires in 2007 and another that expires in 2009...this gives me time to restock the cupboard as it were...its also important to take a look at the contracts offered by other teams, noting in particular when key player contracts expire...by timing things right you can make sure you lose a key guy the same year several similar players from other teams become available on the open market...

I play in a contract league with a cap on the number of total contract years we can have outstanding at any time (sort of a combination contract/salary cap)...you can find player ages on any stats site (profootballreference.com, nfl.com, yahoo.com, etc)...

As for strategies I generally try not to look too far ahead as our contracts are guaranteed (so a long contract to a bad player can cost you for a long time)...the longest I've ever granted was 4 years, as a lot can change in the NFL in 3 or 4 years...I try to stagger the expiration terms at the key position, for example I have a RB1 whose contract expires in 2007 and another that expires in 2009...this gives me time to restock the cupboard as it were...its also important to take a look at the contracts offered by other teams, noting in particular when key player contracts expire...by timing things right you can make sure you lose a key guy the same year several similar players from other teams become available on the open market...
I'm in a contract,/salary cap league myself. And this is great advice. The other is to not look too much at the cotnracts and look more at your team. Put a competitive team out there this year. Don't worry as much about 2 years from now as A LOT can change between now and then. Michael Clayton looks like a stud and you ink him to a 4 year deal and then he falls off the face of the earth. So stagger the contracts if you can but don't look too much to the future or you won't field a competitive enough team year in and year out....

Users who are viewing this thread