What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Converting an Existing Dynasty League to IDP (1 Viewer)

blend

Footballguy
So, I commish a rather deep (34 roster spots) Offense only dynasty league for 10+ years now.. We have had some talk about adding in IDP since a couple of us have tried it and really like it.

I've seen some posts in the FAQ and other spots about setting up the scoring for an initial dynasty league, but I haven't been able to find threads on the best way to convert an existing league to IDP. I know we'll have to get the scoring ironed out at some point, but honestly, I'm not too concerned about that with the guys in the league. My initial concerns with getting buy-in from the league on this is:

* Do we have a defensive only draft to initially get players onto rosters?

* Draft defensive players during the "rookie draft"

* Start over with a new draft entirely -- if we do, what happens to guys that hold "future draft picks" -- I think this option is unlikely, but who knows

Have any of you had to convert an existing league and what approach did you take?

i wouldnt combine the rook and idp drafts

you might add it a few spots at a time with separate drafts

year one add 3 IDP starting positions (1DL, 1LB, 1DB) this would give everyone a chance to study the IDP situations before diving in the next two years

year 2 (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

then year 3 full lineups whetever you decided before year one

I haven't been in your situation of trying to convert an existing league, but I think two drafts are the way to go. I don't see a need to start over, either. Deciding IDP draft order will likely be most argued point. Random draw seems appropriate, but if you have some teams that have struggled for the past few years, you might base the order on average point totals over that time span so the weaker teams feel they can 'catch up' quicker. It might give a fresh feel to everyone without having to actually start fresh.

First, I think you need to agree to a scoring system and starting line up requirements. The options here are endless, and that is why it has to be the first thing the league agrees upon. I would suggest a start two LB, DL and DB format. You can add other IDP line up requirements later on. If you want IDP's to be a real factor, go 2 pts/tackle, 1pt asst. I HATE leagues that over value big plays like sacks. 3 to 4 points a sack max, but JMHO.

Have a veteran IDP draft, I'd go worst to first serpentine. Keep the rookie draft seperate.

Implementing IDP will be easy. getting all to agree to the scoring system and the starting line up requirements is the hard part.

So, I commish a rather deep (34 roster spots) Offense only dynasty league for 10+ years now.. We have had some talk about adding in IDP since a couple of us have tried it and really like it. I've seen some posts in the FAQ and other spots about setting up the scoring for an initial dynasty league, but I haven't been able to find threads on the best way to convert an existing league to IDP. I know we'll have to get the scoring ironed out at some point, but honestly, I'm not too concerned about that with the guys in the league. My initial concerns with getting buy-in from the league on this is:* Do we have a defensive only draft to initially get players onto rosters? * Draft defensive players during the "rookie draft"* Start over with a new draft entirely -- if we do, what happens to guys that hold "future draft picks" -- I think this option is unlikely, but who knowsHave any of you had to convert an existing league and what approach did you take?
I would definitely add the IDP to your rookie draft. It makes the end of the 1st round and the 2nd round much better. For the veteran defensive players I would go with an auction with a $100 cap for everyone. Your league is going to be pretty upset if one of the best teams gets Patrick Willis. With an auction everyone has an equal shot. I would also recommend staying away from 2 points for tackles. The defensive players are not going to score as much as offense just except it and move on. 2 points for tackles is pretty boring and no one will start the play makers that everyone loves. We go with 1 point for tackles. 2 points for ff/fr. 2 points for passes defensed. 4 points for sacks and int's. 1 point for every 20 int or fumble return yards. These rules make the tackle machines valuable but Demarcus Ware, Ed Reed, Jared Allen are also valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread