What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could you get a hit off the... (1 Viewer)

If you selected HIT, up to what level pitcher could you hit?

• Top 30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31 thru 60

• 61 to 120

• 121 to 180

• 181 to 360

• Smoo

• Total voters

Seymour Corn

it=info
Assuming there are 360 pitchers in the majors right now, how would you perform against the 360th pitcher?

I'd like to think I could at least not strike out, but most likely I would.

Rules:

- you get to take BP against a coach

- you get one AB against the 360th ranked pitcher with a wooden bat

- there are a full compliment of fielders

- a hit means getting to 1st before the ball does.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep..no question

If you have reasonably good hand eye coordination you can get around on a 90 mph fastball and connect, particularly if you can get lucky and guess the location. The 360th best pitcher probably doesn't have anything close to 90mph heat.

A guy like Zito would be much harder to hit than your run of the mill fastball pitcher.

No.

The worst major league pitcher was the best pitcher on his high school/college team, and one of the top players in his high school/college conference.

yep..no questionIf you have reasonably good hand eye coordination you can get around on a 90 mph fastball and connect, particularly if you you can get lucky and guess the location. A guy like Zito would be much harder to hit than your run of the mill fastball pitcher.
Zito would be one of the easier guy's to hit off of. He doesnt change speeds on his pitches at all, his fastball is about 2-4 mph harder than his curveball.

yep..no questionIf you have reasonably good hand eye coordination you can get around on a 90 mph fastball and connect, particularly if you you can get lucky and guess the location. A guy like Zito would be much harder to hit than your run of the mill fastball pitcher.
Zito would be one of the easier guy's to hit off of. He doesnt change speeds on his pitches at all, his fastball is about 2-4 mph harder than his curveball.
Unfortunately, pretty much everyone not in professional baseball has NOT seen a curveball like Zito's...he could just throw junk all day and most guys probably couldn't even foul a pitch off...give me an 88 MPH fastball any day of the week.

If I didn't get hit by the pitch, maybe I could scratch out a worm-burner to second.

Then again, perhaps not...

Strike out. It would probably take me 3 pitches just to get the speed down at the local batting cage fast pitch. Throw in breaking balls and off speed pitches, I wouldn't have a chance.

I got a hit off Dave Rozema at a Tiger Fantasy Camp. Laced one up the gap in right center.

yep..no questionIf you have reasonably good hand eye coordination you can get around on a 90 mph fastball and connect, particularly if you can get lucky and guess the location. The 360th best pitcher probably doesn't have anything close to 90mph heat.A guy like Zito would be much harder to hit than your run of the mill fastball pitcher.
The first pitch would be chin music. The next 3 would be 70 MPH gopher balls down the middle of the plate while you are peeing your pants from the chin music.

By hit do you mean just making contact with the ball in a batting practice situation? If so most people could get lucky and make contact. Now if you mean get a hit in a game situation thats different. My brother knows a guy that pitched for the White Sox the year they won the series. His name is Jon Adkins. I think he plays AAA for the Reds now. I hit BP with him in the offseason a couple of years ago. I went in thinking that this guy couldn't even stay on a MLB roster, but he made me look like Pedro Cerrano trying to hit his curveball.

i doubt i'd even see the pitch at my age let alone try and make contact. the last time i made contact in a game i was 15 - so 30 years ago - and it was a swinging bunt that i was able to beat out somehow.

are the batters in this situation allowed to swing aluminum? that's another major factor in whether someone could get a hit.

yep..no questionIf you have reasonably good hand eye coordination you can get around on a 90 mph fastball and connect, particularly if you can get lucky and guess the location. The 360th best pitcher probably doesn't have anything close to 90mph heat.A guy like Zito would be much harder to hit than your run of the mill fastball pitcher.
I would like to see this. Mainly because I don't believe you.

Why would the guy throw you 90mph fastballs? He wouldn't be throwing you BP. He'd work you in however many pitches he decided to. I'd strike out 10 times out of 10, no question. These kinds of questions always bring out the people who have no clue whatsoever about how much better professional athletes are than regular dudes. The difference is absolutely enormous, and probably bigger than that. Alfonso Soriano, for example, is 1-22 on the season. He's a multi-time All Star. I'm supposed to assume that I can come in and do better than him?

Once again you show you have no clue.

once again you show you have no clue.Do you know anything about me? Answer: NO

I got a hit off Dave Rozema at a Tiger Fantasy Camp. Laced one up the gap in right center.
Congratulations, but he let you hit it. :boxing: The Tigers didn't let you pay all that money to go down there just so you take an 0-4. :lmao:
LOL..Rosie did not throw hard in the bigs, and he was probably hitting the jugs around 75, but he still had a wicked curve.

Unfortunately, pretty much everyone not in professional baseball has NOT seen a curveball like Zito's...he could just throw junk all day and most guys probably couldn't even foul a pitch off...give me an 88 MPH fastball any day of the week.
Hitting against Zito would be easier since all his pitches come at the same speed. Even when you are sitting on the curveball and Zito throws a fastball, you will have no problem catching up to it since its coming at the speed you are expecting.The guys who throw 88 MPH fastballs are guys who have excellent ball movement on their pitches, are able to change speeds at will and have good control.

yep..no question

If you have reasonably good hand eye coordination you can get around on a 90 mph fastball and connect, particularly if you can get lucky and guess the location. The 360th best pitcher probably doesn't have anything close to 90mph heat.

A guy like Zito would be much harder to hit than your run of the mill fastball pitcher.
i'm not sure what's worse.. LHUCKS adherence to his shtick or the fact that you fall for it every time

Define "hit." I believe I'd at reasonable, competitive at-bats against the bottom 10th of pro pitchers. I'd say I'd hit about .175. Does that mean I could hit them?

yep..no question

i'm not sure what's worse.. LHUCKS adherence to his shtick or the fact that you fall for it every time
:boxing: :lmao: :lmao:Like you don't fall for shtick.

once again you show you have no clue.Do you know anything about me? Answer: NO
Did you play baseball for a college team?

How many at bats?

The reason I ask is because a lot of MAJOR LEAGUE baseball players won't go 1 for 1 against the worst pitcher in the league.

yep..no question

:boxing: :lmao: :lmao:Like you don't fall for shtick.
i have never run across anyone who posted about his pathetic personal life on a daily basis and then after a couple years claims it to be shtickof all the people to take advice from though... Imp... strange.

yep..no question

So, it's not just Pac 10 shtick it is basically act like an arrogant, clueless tool? If so, yes I fell for it here. My apologies.

I love to have an AB against Tim Wakefield
:boxing: the knuckler is deadly. my dad used to throw a wicked knuckleball. pretty much unhittable if you throw it right every time.
"Like some cult religion that barely survives, there has always been at least one but rarely more than five or six devotees throwing the knuckleball in the big leagues... Not only can't pitchers control it, hitters can't hit it, catchers can't catch it, coaches can't coach it, and most pitchers can't learn it. The perfect pitch." ― Ron Luciano, former AL umpire

As long as he didn't throw me 3 curveballs for strikes, I am confident I could make contact.

Now, once I made contact I think I would hit about .130. So basically, I would hit about like a NL pitcher.

As long as he didn't throw me 3 curveballs for strikes, I am confident I could make contact. Now, once I made contact I think I would hit about .130. So basically, I would hit about like a NL pitcher.
I think this is pretty reasonable here for someone who was good in HS, played like D-3 ball or D-2 ball, and played some competitive amateur. I really think most guys who fit this bill could get around on 90 MPH but it'd be the quality change ups and curves which would kill us. I think we'd have to first-pitch swing on every fastball we saw we a shortened swing and drop a few over second or first base.

As long as he didn't throw me 3 curveballs for strikes, I am confident I could make contact. Now, once I made contact I think I would hit about .130. So basically, I would hit about like a NL pitcher.
I think this is pretty reasonable here for someone who was good in HS, played like D-3 ball or D-2 ball, and played some competitive amateur. I really think most guys who fit this bill could get around on 90 MPH but it'd be the quality change ups and curves which would kill us. I think we'd have to first-pitch swing on every fastball we saw we a shortened swing and drop a few over second or first base.
It is reasonable for someone that was excellent in high school which should have lead to playing at some level in college. If you didn't play baseball in college the worst major league pitcher would make you look silly more often than not.

How many at bats?The reason I ask is because a lot of MAJOR LEAGUE baseball players won't go 1 for 1 against the worst pitcher in the league.
good question...the premise in the title and the premise in the poll questions are completely different.There is no way in hell anyone in this forum can confidently say they would go 1 for 1. On the other hand, I'd bet a lot of the better ball players in this forum could get lucky on a fastball 1 out of 20 times.

By hit do you mean just making contact with the ball in a batting practice situation? If so most people could get lucky and make contact. Now if you mean get a hit in a game situation thats different. My brother knows a guy that pitched for the White Sox the year they won the series. His name is Jon Adkins. I think he plays AAA for the Reds now. I hit BP with him in the offseason a couple of years ago. I went in thinking that this guy couldn't even stay on a MLB roster, but he made me look like Pedro Cerrano trying to hit his curveball.
A hit is a hit, contact is anything but a strike out.

If there are posters out there that played decent college ball, I'd say you'd have a shot, but your odds would be low. The rest of us, not a chance in Hell.

Why would the pitcher throw you a first pitch fastball? I assume he'd be well aware who you are(n't).

exactly. if the guy is tossing 90 mph fastballs, a decent percentage of people could get a hit. if it's an actual AB in a game situation, pretty much everybody here would get worked.

Why would the pitcher throw you a first pitch fastball? I assume he'd be well aware who you are(n't).
Perhaps he'd be thinking he could beat me with the fastball? Perhaps there is a runner on first and he throws a low fastball to get me to hit it on the ground? Perhaps he decides to bust me inside to set me up for the soft stuff out? I didn't say it was a guarantee - just that to have a chance to hit over .100 we'd need to hit fastballs. I stressed first-pitch swinging because most of us probably only look one-spot at best in our general plate approaches and we'd have to modify that. :shrug:

How much does the worst MLB pitcher make? I'm guessing it's a whole heck of a lot more than most of us do.

exactly. if the guy is tossing 90 mph fastballs, a decent percentage of people could get a hit. if it's an actual AB in a game situation, pretty much everybody here would get worked.
Hitting around .100-.150 is getting worked. I don't think anyone here is saying they could hang.

If I had some time to prepare and a terrible MLB pitcher hung a curve against me, I could miss it by less than 2 feet.

3 people think that they could hit a top 30 pitcher in the league. that's basically saying that you could hit any team's #1 pitcher.

i REALLY hope these people played college ball. and by college ball, i mean d1.

Users who are viewing this thread