What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda: Week 13 (1 Viewer)

PeoplezPerspective

Footballguy
I hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving. I also hope the new content featured on the site has been entertaining and beneficial. Keep on the look out for more, as the expansion continues. We have now reached the Playoffs in Fantasy Football! Congratulations to those who are still in the thick of things. This is what you have played all year for, and it is also the most stressful time. Embrace the chance to compete for the grand prize, but don't beat yourself up too much if your team falls short. Thanks for continuing to be a reader of this weekly, and a hearty Welcome to those of you stopping by for the first time. I hope the following can bring you some insight and success this week!​
Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!
Follow @PeoplezPen

Quarterbacks

There were a total of nine Quarterbacks who threw for over 300 yards this past week, ten if you include Alex Smith and his 293. Some of the expected names were of course on this list, Peyton Manning (403), Tom Brady (371), Matt Stafford (330), Matt Ryan (311), and Russell Wilson (310), but did you expect Brandon Weeden (370), Josh McCown (355), or Ryan Tannehill (331) to also be there? The fact remains this is predominantly a passing league, and there is available talent at the position. If you find yourself in a personal debate for whom to start, because you do not have one of the elite, there is a glimmer of hope. Of the guys you might not trust, I would look at the entire team and not focus so much on the opposition. While Ryan Tannehill is vastly improved, and is a building block for the Dolphins, I do not trust the consistency of his receivers enough to rely on him. Conversely, and I know this sounds crazy given his reputation, I would feel more comfortable right now with Brandon Weeden, who has Josh Gordon running routes. Setting an NFL record of back to back 200+ receiving yard games is nothing to sneeze at, and Weeden has been the one finding him. Also throw in the fact that Jordan Cameron is still lining up and is more than capable, and you have the potential for solid production to finish the season. Josh McCown is another player who has been proving his worth, and having Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey as weapons is a big reason why. To have made it to this level you have to be competent. Obviously, some make better with their chances than others, but think about who they are throwing to more than who they are playing against.

Suggested Play, Matt McGloin: 255 yards passing, 0 TD/1 INT
Suggested Pass, Alex Smith: 293 yards passing, 2 TD/1 INT

Running Backs

The new trend in drafting has been to stockpile receivers, and pay less attention to running backs. If you don’t get one of the top few rushers, wait until the later rounds for the gamble picks. While I have pointed out this is a passing league, it is still the running back position that can make or break your team. Outside of a handful of running backs, and even some times with them, each week is like a game of Russian roulette. There is not too much available to add that could provide enough of an impact to make a difference. You are what you are at this point, but you should be proud, you still made it to the Playoffs. Ben Tate’s performance of 102 yards on the ground with 3 Touchdowns made many of his owners smile, for it had been a long time coming. At the same time he promptly put a damper on Dennis Johnson being a viable option at this point. Bobby Rainey (63 yards) is still proving to be reliable as a compliment to your RB1, as is BenJarvus Green-Ellis (92-1), who isn’t eye-popping, just productive. CJ Spiller (149-1) showed again why you HAVE to keep him in your lineup, even if he does disappoint from time to time. He is just that explosive and can make a huge difference on any given play. The most intriguing play is Montee Ball (117), who was drafted by Denver to be featured. Knowshown Moreno has been banged up, and given chances against the Chiefs was unable to do much in the ground game. Ball more than guaranteed he will get another opportunity to show his performance was for real. The name of the game is opportunity, and Ball has emerged as a potential difference maker in the role of RB2 of Flex.

Suggested Play, Andre Brown: 35 rushing yards, 2 TD's.
Suggested Pass, Benny Cunningham: 16 rushing yards, 0 TD.

Wide Receivers

If you are searching for a starting receiver at this point, I will tell you now there is no one out there worth picking up. Some will argue that Junior Hemmingway (3-42-1) has a chance in the Chiefs new expanded offense, and he does, just not enough to pin your post-season on. The same is true of everyone else who may be on your scout team. Ride what has gotten you to this point. I am talking about the Keenan Allen, Harry Douglass, Riley Cooper, and Jarrett Boykin’s of the world. Yes even Boykin, despite his doughnut on Thanksgiving. They have earned the chance to get you to the next round, and if they fail (as Boykin did), keep in mind you most likely would not even be in the playoffs without them. Is what I am saying fairly obvious? Of course it is. But it is also to remind you not to overthink things too much. There are no secret weapons to deploy, and forget about drawing up that masterful “Annexation of Puerto Rico” play a la Little Giants. Your team is set, now sit back and let them go battle for you.

Suggested Play, Jarrett Boykin: 0 receptions for 0 yards.
Suggested Pass, Mike Wallace: 7 receptions for 82 yards, 1 TD.

Tight Ends

As with the other positions, the same is true of the Tight Ends. No new Julius Thomas or Jordan Reeds have emerged. Although with both of them banged up and questionable, their backups (Jacob Tamme and Logan Paulsen) might be worth taking a look at. If you are really desperate for a Tight End, or are severely lacking trust for whoever you have, I would look at who is getting the most targets. Again, it all comes back to opportunity. Zach Miller (8 targets), Garrett Graham (11), Zach Ertz (6), Ladarius Green (6), John Carlson (6), and Scott Chandler (6) are all guys who should be available in your league as free agents. Graham may not be, but of the others listed, I would recommend Green above the rest. He has now scored in two straight games, and has at least five targets in three straight. A capable quarterback, coupled with a pass first offense, contributes to him being able to maintain his current streak. Outside of Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski, the position has put up minimal numbers to your total score. Better to get something, as opposed to going for the home run and getting zero.

Suggested Play, Rob Housler: 3 receptions for 21 yards.
Suggested Pass, Timothy Wright: 2 receptions for 17 yards.

Play 'Em/Pass 'Em I take heat for some of the guys who appear on this list, but more often than not they are accurate. It is a hypothesis, not an exact science. I will remind you: It is always better when I am asked to choose between specific players. Randomly picking guys from a roster that includes the entire league does not completely paint the picture for your individual team. You can do this by leaving your question in the comment section, emailing me at PeoplezPerspective@gmail.commailto:PeoplezPerspective@gmail.com, or asking on Twitter. There are no bye's remaining this season. Here are some of the guys I do and do not like...

Quarterback
Play 'Em: Josh McCown, CHI (vs DAL) As I wrote, he has arguably the best receiving corps in the entire league, and takes on a woefully vulnerable passing defense.
Pass 'Em: Russell Wilson, SEA (@ SF) The division title is up for grabs in this heated rivalry. As great as Wilson just looked on MNF, is as bad as the Niners D can shut him down.

Running Back
Play 'Em: Danny Woodhead/Ryan Matthews, SD (vs NYG) Both backs have been steady all season, and have remained healthy. The Giants haven't stopped many all year.
Pass 'Em: Rashard Mendenhall, ARI (vs STL) St. Louis is better than credited for, and Mendenhall has lost at least one step in his game. This could be ugly.

Wide Receiver
Play 'Em: Dwayne Bowe, KC (@ WAS) I've stuck by him all year, and I will not stop now. Especially since the playbook in KC has been opened up to be more vertical.
Pass 'Em: Nate Washington, TEN (@ DEN) I think the Titans will struggle against a tough Broncos team in the Mile High City. Washington will be limited and may go un-seen.

Tight End
Play 'Em: Ladarius Green, SD (vs NYG) The targets have been increasing, and he has scored in two straight. Who better to draw as an opponent than the deflated G-Men.
Pass 'Em: Jared Cook, STL (@ ARI) Arizona will fight to remain in Playoff contention and will be in Playoff mode. Cook can disappear, and may get lost in the desert.

Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!
Follow @PeoplezPen

Thanks again for the continued and growing support! If you are a Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Peoplez-Perspective/192853800898135?ref=stream user, please "Like" the new page. If you like the column, please refer a friend - it will make the world a better place. Have a great week and good luck in your games!

Play 'Em/Pass 'Em I take heat for some of the guys who appear on this list, but more often than not they are accurate. It is a hypothesis, not an exact science. I will remind you: It is always better when I am asked to choose between specific players. Randomly picking guys from a roster that includes the entire league does not completely paint the picture for your individual team. You can do this by leaving your question in the comment section, emailing me at PeoplezPerspective@gmail.commailto:PeoplezPerspective@gmail.com, or asking on Twitter. There are no bye's remaining this season. Here are some of the guys I do and do not like...
I give you respect for putting your picks out there and following up on them later (something a lot of people don't do)...but I have to admit, I've been reading your article the past month or so and you've been wrong a lot more than you've been right.

You spelled Peoples wrong. Must have accidentally hit the Z when signing up. You can PM Joe Bryant and he can fix that for you :thumbup:

solorca said:
PeoplezPerspective said:
Play 'Em/Pass 'Em I take heat for some of the guys who appear on this list, but more often than not they are accurate. It is a hypothesis, not an exact science. I will remind you: It is always better when I am asked to choose between specific players. Randomly picking guys from a roster that includes the entire league does not completely paint the picture for your individual team. You can do this by leaving your question in the comment section, emailing me at PeoplezPerspective@gmail.com, or asking on Twitter. There are no bye's remaining this season. Here are some of the guys I do and do not like...
I give you respect for putting your picks out there and following up on them later (something a lot of people don't do)...but I have to admit, I've been reading your article the past month or so and you've been wrong a lot more than you've been right.
Appreciate you reading. I've hit a rough patch, but what's posted on Wed is a general guide. When specifically choosing between individual rosters the results are much better.

Rankings and matchups seem to like the Redskins this week. I own KC Defense, RG3, Morris, and Garcon.

I'm thinking about starting KC Defense and sitting all Skins, but the experts seems to be telling me otherwise.

We had the conversation last week about Flacco and I think I like his floor against Minnesota over RG3's recent performance.

What are your thoughts on all Redskins skill players this weekend?

Rankings and matchups seem to like the Redskins this week. I own KC Defense, RG3, Morris, and Garcon.

I'm thinking about starting KC Defense and sitting all Skins, but the experts seems to be telling me otherwise.

We had the conversation last week about Flacco and I think I like his floor against Minnesota over RG3's recent performance.

What are your thoughts on all Redskins skill players this weekend?
http://footballguys.com/whysubscribe.php

Play your redskins, the KC defense has been exposed as frauds.

and BTW suggesting to not play Nate Washington doesnt make alot of sense. Hes not even rostered in any league, including deep dynasties, but thanks!

and BTW suggesting to not play Nate Washington doesnt make alot of sense. Hes not even rostered in any league, including deep dynasties, but thanks!
I got a chuckle out of that as well. WR37 in my league and definitely rostered, but a bench call for a guy like that is pretty cheap and pointless. Have some stones and say bench Kendall Wright if you're taking a stand on Denver's defense. Also, stop doing this.

Frauds? They lost 3 straight. 2 to Denver who they obviously don't match up with well, and in between a good offense in SD that they slept on. 9 straight wins is tough to label as fraudulent. As for the Redskins skills players: I wouldn't trust Reed still, but Garçon, RG3, and Morris should be as good as they normally can be. I think they are all good starts

My passes for this week:

Fozzy Whitaker

Julio Jones

Brett Favre
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I suspect that no matter what I say, you will have a snide remark to make. 1st it was "why make recommendations for players everyone is going to start regardless". Now, when I made it for less obvious calls, you have a problem as well. Some people truly are debating players like Washington and Whitaker, although I do agree with you about Favre being a pass.

My passes for this week:

Fozzy Whitaker

Julio Jones

Brett Favre
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I suspect that no matter what I say, you will have a snide remark to make. 1st it was "why make recommendations for players everyone is going to start regardless". Now, when I made it for less obvious calls, you have a problem as well. Some people truly are debating players like Washington and Whitaker, although I do agree with you about Favre being a pass.
I appreciate anyone making useful posts in the pool.

some of your calls seems so marginal though that it doesnt matter

Fozzy Whitaker? yeah I dont think you need to tell people to bench him

How about something like - Bench TY Hilton, he has struggled he is drawing the double teams, playing in Cincy vs a Great D at home and the weather could be an issue.

Or Start - Bobby Rainey - Buffalo is awful against the run, even though Rainey has laid two straight stinkers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you're trying to break into the fantasy writing business and I sincerely wish you luck with that. But you shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction you're getting here. You show up out of nowhere and 99% of your posts are in your own self-promoting threads. We don't see you mixing it up in the individual player threads where your insights might be welcome. I'm going to assume you're doing this on multiple fantasy sites (where you haven't been banned), so you probably don't have a lot of time to devote to any one forum.

The reason I think these threads are pointless is not only because a lot of the picks are cheap and obvious or that most of them end up wrong (well come to think of it that's a huge part of it), but the subscriber content here is second to none. Those of us who subscribe have no use for this stuff, because we get our information from guys who watch film and analyze and write 50 hours per week. When we look for some peer-level analysis, there are tons of insightful, well-thought-out posts here on a weekly basis (along with a boatload of pointless pissing matches between guys who flunked 8th grade English, but I digress). That leaves the kids who can't shell out the 30 bucks for a subscription who play in free leagues, and they come here to siphon off whatever info they can. Your target market!

I've been snarky because that's my way, but you seem like a decent guy so I'm giving you some honest feedback.

I think the best thing you could do other than revamping the whole thing and actually trying to develop a regular presence here, would be to keep this in the assistant coach forum where it belongs, and stop duplicating it here. You have plenty of non-subscribers actually looking for advice in that forum, and people like me don't go in there so there's that benefit too. :thumbup:

All the best.

Noone is going to let you live down the "sit Josh Gordon" in his record setting week...

Them's the breaks.

McGarnicle's post hits most of the key points.

I also think that completely re-hashing the previous week at the beginning is silly. Most people are on to the next week and that's what's important. There's certainly a time for review and it can be valuable, but the way this is laid out is terrible.

Right now, it just seems like a generic laying down of thoughts. It should be crisper and have a better angle.

I'm guessing you're trying to break into the fantasy writing business and I sincerely wish you luck with that. But you shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction you're getting here. You show up out of nowhere and 99% of your posts are in your own self-promoting threads. We don't see you mixing it up in the individual player threads where your insights might be welcome. I'm going to assume you're doing this on multiple fantasy sites (where you haven't been banned), so you probably don't have a lot of time to devote to any one forum.

The reason I think these threads are pointless is not only because a lot of the picks are cheap and obvious or that most of them end up wrong (well come to think of it that's a huge part of it), but the subscriber content here is second to none. Those of us who subscribe have no use for this stuff, because we get our information from guys who watch film and analyze and write 50 hours per week. When we look for some peer-level analysis, there are tons of insightful, well-thought-out posts here on a weekly basis (along with a boatload of pointless pissing matches between guys who flunked 8th grade English, but I digress). That leaves the kids who can't shell out the 30 bucks for a subscription who play in free leagues, and they come here to siphon off whatever info they can. Your target market!

I've been snarky because that's my way, but you seem like a decent guy so I'm giving you some honest feedback.

I think the best thing you could do other than revamping the whole thing and actually trying to develop a regular presence here, would be to keep this in the assistant coach forum where it belongs, and stop duplicating it here. You have plenty of non-subscribers actually looking for advice in that forum, and people like me don't go in there so there's that benefit too. :thumbup:

All the best.
Feedback is more than welcomed, and most certainly appreciated. I don't frequent the individual players posts as often as I would like. There have been just as many positive responses,if not more, as there are the negative ones - which you are familiar with. I put my effort and dedication to everything I commit to, so when I started writing this column - even in the stressed for time by life weeks - I intended to continue each week. I am trying to fulfill that. That includes not quitting, or hiding, or ignoring the criticism that putting my material in a public forum brings. There's really no need to go into great detail, but since you wrote so much, it is deserved. I started writing in February of this year, and it wasn't something I had planned on. It has grown tremendously, and I actually enjoy if and do want to pursue it further now. I started posting on this site because when I found it for personal use, I fell in love with the format, the dedication, and the following. This is the only forum/site I post on other than my own site. My article is copied by 2 other sites, but they are not forums such as this, and it is a completely different thing. A normal person might have disappeared after the first razzing you guys dished out, but to my disservice I am not normal. Having the career I do has made me pretty immune to anything you guys can dish out, and it has become more of a challenge than anything. Not to win your approval per say, but to not be intimidated or defeated by you naysayers. I don't get the self promotion angle you speak of - it is my work I am trying to share, so yes it is promoted by me. I don't see it as a TO or Ocho-Cinco type way, which is how think you imply. I could be mistaken. As for the predictions, I am no expert. In reality, there really aren't any, some are just more educated guessers. They are my personal feelings, which is why I give my logic behind the picks. Again, they are suggestions and in no way am I boldly staking my life to any of the claims. I hope I don't sound confrontational in this response, because it truly is not my intention. Did I clear anything up for you, or anyone else? Again, I really do appreciate you reading and taking the time to respond. For it to evoke consistent reaction means it has impacted you in some way. No?

Last edited by a moderator:

All the best.
Feedback is more than welcomed, and most certainly appreciated. I don't frequent the individual players posts as often as I would like. There have been just as many positive responses,if not more, as there are the negative ones - which you are familiar with. I put my effort and dedication to everything I commit to, so when I started writing this column - even in the stressed for time by life weeks - I intended to continue each week. I am trying to fulfill that. That includes not quitting, or hiding, or ignoring the criticism that putting my material in a public forum brings. There's really no need to go into great detail, but since you wrote so much, it is deserved. I started writing in February of this year, and it wasn't something I had planned on. It has grown tremendously, and I actually enjoy if and do want to pursue it further now. I started posting on this site because when I found it for personal use, I fell in love with the format, the dedication, and the following. This is the only forum/site I post on other than my own site. My article is copied by 2 other sites, but they are not forums such as this, and it is a completely different thing. A normal person might have disappeared after the first razzing you guys dished out, but to my disservice I am not normal. Having the career I do has made me pretty immune to anything you guys can dish out, and it has become more of a challenge than anything. Not to win your approval per say, but to not be intimidated or defeated by you naysayers. I don't get the self promotion angle you speak of - it is my work I am trying to share, so yes it is promoted by me. I don't see it as a TO or Ocho-Cinco type way, which is how think you imply. I could be mistaken. As for the predictions, I am no expert. In reality, there really aren't any, some are just more educated guessers. They are my personal feelings, which is why I give my logic behind the picks. Again, they are suggestions and in no way am I boldly staking my life to any of the claims. I hope I don't sound confrontational in this response, because it truly is not my intention. Did I clear anything up for you, or anyone else? Again, I really do appreciate you reading and taking the time to respond. For it to evoke consistent reaction means it has impacted you in some way. No?
Ok this leads me in two different directions:

1) You really don't get it and are so self absorbed you missed the entire point of his post.

--OR--

2) This is bit. Kept it going pretty well there for a while if this is the case.

There have been just as many positive responses,if not more, as there are the negative ones - which you are familiar with.
IN WHAT UNIVERSE IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!?!?!?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
A normal person might have disappeared after the first razzing you guys dished out, but to my disservice I am not normal. Having the career I do has made me pretty immune to anything you guys can dish out, and it has become more of a challenge than anything. Not to win your approval per say, but to not be intimidated or defeated by you naysayers.
Was trying to give you constructive criticism, not be a naysayer. Most of what you're saying comes off as defensive and justifying your existence here. There is a difference between being dedicated and thick-skinned, and not having the good sense to take a step back and rethink things when you're failing at an endeavor. I was trying to help you see how you might approach that.
I don't get the self promotion angle you speak of
OH COME ON!!!! The rest of us throw out our two cents and move on. Your whole shtick here is packaged up like a product, complete with your Twitter handle, shout outs to your followers, the whole bit. And you bump your own threads! Your persona here is you selling yourself as a fantasy expert. Which brings me to...
I am no expert.
:doh:
They are my personal feelings, which is why I give my logic behind the picks. Again, they are suggestions and in no way am I boldly staking my life to any of the claims.
So again, why not just throw a few insights here and there into an existing thread and let the chips fall? You're putting out these novels every week which invite the responses you're getting.
For it to evoke consistent reaction means it has impacted you in some way. No?
This is why I don't think you really read and absorbed what I said. No dude, I'm a subscriber here and I have access to the best info money can buy. As I mentioned, your target market here is the non-subscriber, probably somewhat new to the hobby, probably spends a lot of time in the assistant coach forum which is the only place these threads belong. Just be aware that your traffic may plummet starting this week if those folks have been following your advice.

This is pointless. We're obviously not having the same convo, because this is not at all the direction I was going in. One can take a lot of words out of context, which is why I tried to clearly state my intention was NOT the way you have taken it. Nonetheless, you're entitled.

Don't listen to the H8ers @PeoplezPen. I haven't posted in any of your threads, but I read them every week. I appreciate that you have the ballz to post your opinions and come face the truth when your predictions are wrong. How many experts had Peyton as the #1 QB vs SD last night? And he was a huge disappointment.

I will give you a little advice though. You may want to consider not focusing solely on your writing column. By this I mean expanding into other forms of media. You could easily make a fantasy football podcast and many more people listen to the radio than read message boards. I also have the feeling that you may be the kind of guy who can get things across better by saying them. There is also Justin.tv where you can essentially become a TV sports broadcaster over night.

Good luck in the playoffs! :thumbup:

All the best.
What's your favorite way to eat scallops?

He was right here last week:

http://peoplezperspective.com/2013/12/10/mikes-making-moves-nfl-week-15-playoff-edition/

Wide Receivers

Wes Welker is out. Even if he passes all his concussion protocols, the league requires five days to pass before clearing a player for contact. This is no doubt a big blow to playoff bound teams. (Denver hosts San Diego Thursday)

A wild card might be the guy who will probably replace Welker. Andre Caldwell has looked good stretching the field. He won’t get the short, inside routes Welker usually covers (Julius Thomas will), but he is bound to see a lot of three WR sets and may take targets away from Eric Decker. ...
This might be the only guy who recommended Andre Caldwell last week, "wild card" or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread