What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Creation vs. Evolution (1 Viewer)

If one is possible than why not pick one, just in case?
Just in case of what? For all you know, the Divine Administrator of the Universe will send all atheists to heaven and all theists to hell. Should you therefore become an atheist -- just in case?
The muslim God might be the true God also.. and if he is, woah be unto those that followed Jesus. There is risk involved with picking any. Maybe the best way to play the game is to not play at all?
I've been waiting for someone to make this argument and if I missed it from someone else I apologize.If the penalty for believing in the wrong one is worse than the penalty for not believing in the right one (i.e. not believing at all) then my theory kinda falls apart.

I assume they are equal.

But if you assume the differing penalty structure, don't you implicitely believe in a correct god, now you just have to find the right one.
It seems like God would rather have someone that believes in no Gods than someone who believed in a different God than him. Who knows.. "let him who thirsts, come and drink".. if you seek God, he will find you.. But when?

Tell me what to do God..
Jay, I that seems completely feasible and if you want to believe in no Gods for fear of picking the wrong Gods, then fine, but you are acknowledging that there is a God(s).

Are you still an atheist, or are you a theist that just does nothing.
If you don't believe in or worship any gods, you are still an atheist. You're an atheist who realizes that picking a god just in case is senseless.

Jay, that seems completely feasible and if you want to believe in no Gods for fear of picking the wrong Gods, then fine, but you are acknowledging that there is a God(s).
You're not acknowledging that there is a god. You're just acknowledging that even if there is a god, it still doesn't make sense to "pick one."

Well, fortunately, the Jews, Muslims, and Christians share the exact same God, so that narrows down your choices a bit. When you add in the religions that believe in a single creator deity (Australian aborigines? and others), and figure they've just got different stories about the same creator, the choice is even easier.Then you've just got to decide whether you're pissing off the many gods (if one of the pantheistic relgions is right) or whether you're wasting your time (if there is no God).Fortunately, we grew up in a culture descended from the monotheistic religions, so we can instinctively pick the "right" God if, in fact, there is one and only one. Or not, if we choose, since we also great up in a culture that permits freedom of religion.

Fortunately, we grew up in a culture descended from the monotheistic religions, so we can instinctively pick the "right" God if, in fact, there is one and only one.
:loco: That's a big assumption. Thor will not be impressed when you "instinctively pick the right god".

That's why I said that we could still be in trouble with pantheistic religions.Unless Thor IS "God," in which case I would just say that I meant him but got the story wrong.

I want to know what it is that makes people think they have an eternal soul. It is extraordinarily clear to me that consciousness and life derives from the electro-chemical reactions in the brain. That when those reactions stop, you stop, full-stop, no more. That consciousness is simply an evolved trait that helped our species gain a natural survival edge.Somebody who actually believes in an eternal soul - what's the deal? What's the nature of the soul? I'll warn you ahead of time that this is a booby trapped question, as I've read some pretty good essays at EbonMusings about the nature of the "soul"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay, that seems completely feasible and if you want to believe in no Gods for fear of picking the wrong Gods, then fine, but you are acknowledging that there is a God(s).
You're not acknowledging that there is a god. You're just acknowledging that even if there is a god, it still doesn't make sense to "pick one."
MT,Tell me where this isn't making sense.

1. You don't believe there is a God(s) based upon what you know.

2. You realize that you don't know everything

3. You realize that you could gain some potential utility by believing in a God(s)

4. You don't want to lose utility (drinking for the early games) so you pick a God(s) that allow this or minimizes your investment. (i.e. creates a positive EV for you)

5. You realize that by picking the wrong God(s) you could actually create a negative EV (your penalty is worse than not believing)

6. You are back to square one of not believing but armed with the knowledge that you did not believe for fear of picking the wrong one and creating negative EV.

The real argument against this, to me, is that you can't "fake" faith.

3. You realize that you could gain some potential utility by believing in a God(s)

4. You don't want to lose utility (drinking for the early games) so you pick a God(s) that allow this or minimizes your investment. (i.e. creates a positive EV for you)

5. You realize that by picking the wrong God(s) you could actually create a negative EV (your penalty is worse than not believing)

6. You are back to square one of not believing but armed with the knowledge that you did not believe for fear of picking the wrong one and creating negative EV.

Your sequence becomes incorrect at step 3.An atheist can certainly make that statement, as we have been, but you have to understand that by doing so they are simply taking part in a thought exercise. To an atheist, actually believing in god(s) is just as impossible as disbelieving is to a theist. So starting at step 3, every argument is merely part of a hypothetical construct to be used in a thought exercise. It's no longer "real".

If one is possible than why not pick one, just in case?
Just in case of what? For all you know, the Divine Administrator of the Universe will send all atheists to heaven and all theists to hell. Should you therefore become an atheist -- just in case?
The muslim God might be the true God also.. and if he is, woah be unto those that followed Jesus. There is risk involved with picking any. Maybe the best way to play the game is to not play at all?
I've been waiting for someone to make this argument and if I missed it from someone else I apologize.If the penalty for believing in the wrong one is worse than the penalty for not believing in the right one (i.e. not believing at all) then my theory kinda falls apart.

I assume they are equal.

But if you assume the differing penalty structure, don't you implicitely believe in a correct god, now you just have to find the right one.
It's also quite possible that God's answer is, live honestly, be good, don't lie, and that He sees lying to God about your faith in Him as the worst form of dishonesty. The problem with Pascal's wager, to me, is that it assumes that "picking one" is the same as actually believing in God.

Maybe God doesn't want you to lie to Him? Maybe He just wanted you to believe in something bigger, and He's trying to help keep you from getting guided away by the Kool Aid drinking cults out there?

----

Or maybe - and this is what I'd like to believe - maybe God loves you anyways. Imagine your niece or nephew, going to their grandma's house on Christmas day, then going to Aunt Suzie's house, then showing up at your house later on. You have a big present sitting under the tree, but before you give it to them, you ask your niece who their favorite is, and they say you. Are they being completely honest? Or just trying to get the present?

Even if they are lying a little to get the present, do you care, or do you still love them?

And what if they say "Grandma"? Or their adoptive parent? Does that in any way impact their love for you? Does that in any way impact your love for them?

To me, just be honest with yourself. Don't pretend to be something you're not. If right now, you believe in the religion in which you were raised, cool. If you don't believe in that religion, but you know you believe in something, that's cool too. And if at this point in your life, you don't believe in God, I bet God thinks that's OK too - just don't pretend to be an atheist because you think it's smart or cool or rebellious.

Thor will not be impressed when you "instinctively pick the right god".
Odin.
News Flash: the Norse had it wrong, too. And don't think that didn't piss Thor off.
I wonder what would happen when Christians learn that some the days of the week are named after gods that aren't God?My points is that Thor follows Odin even there.
Thor follows Odin in much the same way that the King follows his entourage.If Thor isn't the supreme God, why are all the good shows on Thursday? Wednesday TV sux0r.

Your sequence becomes incorrect at step 3.An atheist can certainly make that statement, as we have been, but you have to understand that by doing so they are simply taking part in a thought exercise. To an atheist, actually believing in god(s) is just as impossible as disbelieving is to a theist. So starting at step 3, every argument is merely part of a hypothetical construct to be used in a thought exercise. It's no longer "real".
but this is where we went before. if you acknowledge that you don't know everything, don't you acknowledge the possiblity of a god(s)?this is where we differ i guess, I am a theist but the thought of being an atheist is not impossible to me.

Odin.
News Flash: the Norse had it wrong, too. And don't think that didn't piss Thor off.
I wonder what would happen when Christians learn that some the days of the week are named after gods that aren't God?My points is that Thor follows Odin even there.
Thor follows Odin in much the same way that the King follows his entourage.If Thor isn't the supreme God, why are all the good shows on Thursday? Wednesday TV sux0r.
Is it kind of scary that Jericho's post was the 666th of this thread? :devil:

if you acknowledge that you don't know everything, don't you acknowledge the possiblity of a god(s)?
Of course. I also acknowledge the possibility that an alien battle cruiser will warp into our atmosphere tomorrow, that a giant space slug will devour our sun next Easter, and that Angelina Jolie may knock on my door tonight with a trench coat and a can of whipped cream.Possibilities come in degrees. And they are independent of what I actually believe.

Odin.
Odin - Ripped his eye out and traded it for wisdomThor - Cuckold, 0\/\/n3d by LokiYou got me on the TV thing though.

If Thor isn't the supreme God, why are all the good shows on Thursday?
"I'm Thor.""Me, too.""No, really. I'm Thor.""I'm so Thor, I couldn't even stand up this morning!".</bad joke>

To me, just be honest with yourself. Don't pretend to be something you're not. If right now, you believe in the religion in which you were raised, cool. If you don't believe in that religion, but you know you believe in something, that's cool too. And if at this point in your life, you don't believe in God, I bet God thinks that's OK too - just don't pretend to be an atheist because you think it's smart or cool or rebellious.
bostonfred, that's just crazy talk!

bostonfred, that's just crazy talk!
Sorry, I blacked out there for a minute. I think I was channeling Joe Bryant.

I'd like to put more thought into how the Second Law of Thermodynamics proves there's a god. I must have read it wrong. Sneaky of them to code it into language that appears to merely involve the rules of heat transfer.Please, Larry, come back. Let's talk about the ancient people who kept fire-breathing dinosaurs as pets. I'll answer your questions this time, I promise.

Can we get Larry back?  The unintentional humor value of this thread has plummented.

:votesforlarry:
Only if we all stop being so ignorant and closed-minded and listen to his irrational arguments.
fixed.
You mean you don't think the canopy of water floating in the sky was rational? :confused:
There is always water floating in the sky. It's called rain and snow. :rolleyes:

Can we get Larry back?  The unintentional humor value of this thread has plummented.

:votesforlarry:
Only if we all stop being so ignorant and closed-minded and listen to his irrational arguments.
fixed.
You mean you don't think the canopy of water floating in the sky was rational? :confused:
There is always water floating in the sky. It's called rain and snow. :rolleyes:
You've never seen a canopy of water until you've gone camping in a rainstorm.

I'd like to put more thought into how the Second Law of Thermodynamics proves there's a god. I must have read it wrong. Sneaky of them to code it into language that appears to merely involve the rules of heat transfer.Please, Larry, come back. Let's talk about the ancient people who kept fire-breathing dinosaurs as pets. I'll answer your questions this time, I promise.
Obviously, they fed them chili!

but this is where we went before. if you acknowledge that you don't know everything, don't you acknowledge the possiblity of a god(s)?this is where we differ i guess, I am a theist but the thought of being an atheist is not impossible to me.
If we agree on that (admitting that you don't know everything, which no one does), then you admit to the possibility that what you believe (either being a theist or athiest) is wrong, then doesn't that make everyone agnostic?

If we agree on that (admitting that you don't know everything, which no one does), then you admit to the possibility that what you believe (either being a theist or athiest) is wrong, then doesn't that make everyone agnostic?
if we define agnostic as believing one thing but knowing that you could be wrong then yes.

Hi, I'm Dt's Mules.
Why are you doing this? What's with the alias? You've been outed.
Why does it bother you? You don't need to have the same problem with bb/sp doing this very thing in this thread?
Bigbottom and shining path are two different people.
you sure about that because when that trivia contest was run a while back everyone listed bb/sp and jericho/smoo as known alii

Larry, I just read the Alley Oop comics in the newspaper - you're right! There's Alley and Oogla riding on a dinosaur! How could I ever have doubted you!

if we define agnostic as believing one thing but knowing that you could be wrong then yes.
The most practical definition of agnosticism if your goal is differentiate it from atheism and theism is one of conviction or commitment of belief.A theist may not know if there is a god, but believes strongly that there is one.

A (strong) atheist may not know if there is a god, but believes strongly that there isn't one.

An agnostic does not know if there is a god, and therefore refuses to commit either way.

However, the act of non-committal means that there will be no worshipping or active believing being done of any gods (because that would be a form of commitment). That could be construed as weak atheism (no belief in gods).

If you want to stick with the true etymological definition, agnosticism is just the opposite of gnosticism, which is the belief that one possesses spiritual knowledge. Therefore, agnosticism would be the belief that one does not possess spiritual knowledge. This is the definition you've been using throughout this thread, but you if you're going to use it then you have to understand that it's not a mutually exclusive state from either atheism OR theism.

Hi, I'm Dt's Mules.
Why does it bother you? You don't need to have the same problem with bb/sp doing this very thing in this thread?
you sure about that because when that trivia contest was run a while back everyone listed bb/sp and jericho/smoo as known alii
Bigbottom and slipperyslope are know alii. Perhaps that's what they meant. But I assure you that biggie and shiny are two different people.

No. An agnostic is straddling the fence between theism and athiesm. An agnostic believes that God could exist but hasn't decided whether he believes it or not while an athiest believes that you cannot eliminate the possiblity that God exists but believes that he doesn't. One is undecided while the other has made up his mind.As for Larry's theories, I have a question regarding dragons. Why haven't I heard of any Native American legends regarding dragons? I hear about ones regarding giant bears, regarding the buffalo, and so on but have never heard of any Native American dragon legends. Plenty of dinosaur bones in North America yet there seem to be a distinct lack of dragon legends. As for the "rest of the world" as you put it, how far back do the legends go? Do you know whether the dragon legends of middle age Europe predate the dragon legends of Eastern Asia? People from Europe had visited China for centuries by that time and it is quite possible that these stories had similar origins. Have you eliminated these possibilities prior to proclaiming that dragon legends provide evidence of whatever it was you were attempting to prove with them?

Hi, I'm Dt's Mules.
If this is true, hats off to bigbottom for having created and maintained two very entertaining alii. GB SS.

Hi, I'm Dt's Mules.
Bigbottom and slipperyslope are know alii. Perhaps that's what they meant. But I assure you that biggie and shiny are two different people.
How can you be so sure?

The most practical definition of agnosticism if your goal is differentiate it from atheism and theism is one of conviction or commitment of belief.A theist may not know if there is a god, but believes strongly that there is one.

A (strong) atheist may not know if there is a god, but believes strongly that there isn't one.

An agnostic does not know if there is a god, and therefore refuses to commit either way.

However, the act of non-committal means that there will be no worshipping or active believing being done of any gods (because that would be a form of commitment). That could be construed as weak atheism (no belief in gods).

If you want to stick with the true etymological definition, agnosticism is just the opposite of gnosticism, which is the belief that one possesses spiritual knowledge. Therefore, agnosticism would be the belief that one does not possess spiritual knowledge. This is the definition you've been using throughout this thread, but you if you're going to use it then you have to understand that it's not a mutually exclusive state from either atheism OR theism.
I was just replying to the post above when I responded with the agnostic definition above.You are asserting that one can be agnostic and athiestic but according to these denotation, I don't think that's correct.

One entry found for agnostic.

Main Entry: 1ag·nos·tic

Pronunciation: ag-'näs-tik, &g-

Function: noun

Etymology: Greek agnOstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnOstos known, from gignOskein to know -- more at KNOW

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

- ag·nos·ti·cism /-t&-"si-z&m/ noun
Main Entry: athe·ism

Pronunciation: 'A-thE-"i-z&m

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god

1 archaic : UNGODLINESS, WICKEDNESS

2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity
I assert that disbelief is a commitment. And really the point I've been trying to make the whole thread. Why be an atheist. Why make the commitment of disbelief. Why not be agnostic?

Hi, I'm Dt's Mules.
My apologies. That was probably it.

I assert that disbelief is a commitment. And really the point I've been trying to make the whole thread. Why be an atheist. Why make the commitment of disbelief. Why not be agnostic?
I'm an atheist because I believe there is not, never has been, and never will be, god(s). I'm not sure how much more clear I can be on this.

Users who are viewing this thread