What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CT Scan Question - Cancer Related (1 Viewer)

Quint

Footballguy
i'll try to be brief:

my 51 year old brother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer this AM. it's early on, and i don't have much in the way of details, other than he had a tumor in his neck that has metastasized. the doctor he saw has ordered a full-body CT Scan to see how if/how much has spread to any other areas of his body. 

the question: does anyone know how long it typically takes to get a diagnosis once the CT Scan procedure has taken place? i've seen timelines ranging from same day (in just a few hours) to as long as a week.

at this point there are a bunch of unknowns, and any kind of info on this would go a long way to help prepare for the [immediate] future.

TIA

one of my best friends, who is currently in her second battle with breast cancer, had both a bone and CT scan last thursday and got the results on Monday during a scheduled appointment. 

ETA: F U C

Last edited by a moderator:
CT scans are almost always read and reported on by the radiologist on the day they are performed.  The report is then forwarded to the ordering physician who then typically notifies the patient.  So it depends on how promptly the ordering physician contacts the patient.

In this scenario, I would hope the doc would contact your BIL as quickly as possible.  He could always call the office the next day if he doesn't hear from them.

Best of luck to your BIL. 

Should be a pretty quick turn around on the CT scan.  I am no doctor, but I don't think they can confirm much of anything without a biopsy.  I think the doctors get a pretty good idea of what it is based on what they can see from the scan and other indicators, but don't typically commit to a diagnosis until the tissue is sampled.  My BIL (50 yr) had a seizure about a month ago and the CT scan confirmed the presence of a brain tumor, but it wasn't until they did the surgery that they provided a definite diagnosis.  I hope for a positive outcome for you and your family.

If he’s already been diagnosed, then they’ve likely done a biopsy. Pathology probably indicates the metastases and the CT will give them a better guage to how far/how much it has spread, to determine the best course of treatment. Sometimes, they can just surgically remove it, sometimes, surgery and chemo, sometimes radiation, as well.

they might even want further studies, like a PET scan or an MRI, depending on the mets. Thoughts and prayers to your family. And #### cancer.

My GI doc had the CT scan results the same days the test.  Test was first thing in the morning and my Dr's appointment was late afternoon. 

It's typically ready same day if done in  am. I had a biopsy on a thurs and called the clinic to get my results on tues because my pcp was taking her sweet time to call me. So I got my results that way.  As long as it's a Dr, not a tech, they can give you the results.

Another thing is if he has or sets up his online chart account he can read it there under tests.  I always get my results myself long before my next doc appt.

I'm no expert but my question would be that since they know it's mets, why not do the PET scan which shows more details? CT is good but if it were me, I'd bring up the PET scan.

Best wishes to him and your fam. It's hard on everyone. Sounds like he's got great support. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread