What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dadguys: Do you affix your heavy furniture to the walls? (1 Viewer)

I always attached the heavier stuff, or anything that looked prone to tip if climbed on.

When my daughter was 3 we got an Ikea dresser. It was short and wide, no way she could tip it. One day we hear the crash. I raced up to her room to see her laying under it. Luckily, with the drawer out, it somehow tilted to the side when it came down. I have no idea how, it seems physically impossible.

The edge of the drawer shattered and absorbed most of the weight.

Not super heavy, but how much weight is needed to crush internal organs of a 3 year old?

Do it.
+1Even if the odds are long against injury happening via this type of event, it's your child and it's a pretty simple step to help keep them safe. I believe most new nursery furniture comes with hardware for this. Ours did, anyway. If not included, as others have said, easy enough to do with small eye hooks and some wire or zip tie.

because of earthquakes in socal, this is a common thing out here. and even you can do it oats

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a scare where my 4 year old pulled a cabinet off the wall above the toilet. It was secured into the wall using drywall anchors. She stood on the toilet and was trying to reach up into the cabinet to get something. She pulled hard on the open door and the cabinet came out of the wall. She fell back off the toilet. The cabinet hit the tub first or it would have landed on her. ####### scary.

Anchor to a stud in the wall. Period.

do you have your stove anchored to the wall also because it's customary to do that

and if you are worried I'd seriously anchor your large screen TV if its on a stand

do you have your stove anchored to the wall also because it's customary to do that

and if you are worried I'd seriously anchor your large screen TV if its on a stand
stove no. We had a gate blocking the kitchen. I took my tv off its stand and put it on the wall

I was not a believer until my son pulled the bottom drawer of a nightstand out and decided to sit in it. Good thing the drawer was long enough to stop it from tipping.

My wife sent me out on a Saturday night to buy anchors for every piece of furniture in the house.

Reading this thread, seems there's a huge untapped market for kid bubbles. No longer do you need to kid proof every piece of your house. Just throw your kid in a bubble instead.

Listen I have no issues with doing what you feel is needed. I was mostly playing devils advocate.

The OMG how could you not do it you are such a horrible parent attitude irks me

Out of curiosity what's you're argument for not doing this
Probably the same as everyone else's in here who have not gotten to it. I try to limit the amount of PIA things I need to do. The list is already long. So I triage.
You are taking the wrong approach. Say say:

"Baby, you're right. That's why I love you. Well that and B.J.'s. I'll run to the Depot and have this fixed today."

You then take off and have a cigar at the tittie bar. 45 minutes max. Hit the depot if you don't already have the stuff to fix this (which would be pathetic btw) Do the job, but find a few opportunities to stop for five minutes or so and curse. Make it seem somewhat more than it is. Now, since you are you, you wil probably hurt yourself, great; if you do not hurt yourself naturally then give yourself a little ##### in the thumb with something. Pump the blood up. Ask her where you guys keep the band aids, the big ones. When she asks if you are all right say yes, you just need to sit for a moment. You are now done with choirs for the day, and you are in for a B.J. tonight. You can think about the stripper you saw while your wife is working if you like, your choice.
My favorite post of 2014.

Out of curiosity what's you're argument for not doing this
Probably the same as everyone else's in here who have not gotten to it. I try to limit the amount of PIA things I need to do. The list is already long. So I triage.
I'd take a different strategy. .I have a list of things to do that are actually a PIA to do (remodel the bathroom, pipe for a new gas range, finish finishing the garage) and if I had something as simple as screw a hole in the wall, I'd crack a beer, involve the wife, drag it out long enough that I didn't have to do something else, make careful measurements, and make a big show of doing something to protect your kid. Happy wife, easy job.
Beat me to it.

Sometimes I wonder how Otis managed to slay ##### and climb to partnership. I have concluded he was an idiot savant in those two areas of life only. Otherwise he is a functional #######.

BTW, I would trade all of my handy man abilities to have his two apparent talents.
You basically just pegged RL Otis. No, seriously.

Mrs. O keeps telling me about all these horror stories in which heavy furniture falls over onto and hurts or kills kids. We've in particular got a tall and narrow armoir/book case thing that is pretty heavy, and she's concerned. She wants me to attach it to the wall so it doesn't fall over.

Do people really do this? Is this just an old wive's tale, or are these things really pose a danger to kids?

TIA
My kid is 3 months old and my wife is talking about this. I think she's nuts. Something tall/thin I can see. But long dressers that seem like sturdy bases should be fine right?
Exactly.

Installing two eyehooks and a zip tie to keep your kid from turning himself into Flat Stanley is too much trouble? It's a good idea for tall pieces of furniture even if you don't have kids. Unless you really hate the china your wife's grandmother left her. :mellow:

I was not a believer until my son pulled the bottom drawer of a nightstand out and decided to sit in it. Good thing the drawer was long enough to stop it from tipping.

My wife sent me out on a Saturday night to buy anchors for every piece of furniture in the house.
Sounds a little extreme.

A few years back my 2 year old pulled our dresser on top of her. Huge, very sturdy, don't see how it was possible for it to tip. I was at work, and my wife was home with her. She was getting ready in the bathroom, hears the boom, and little girl was underneath the dresser. Thankfully she was ok, don't know how my wife was able to lift it off of her. She barely lifted it enough for her to crawl out. She tried to lift it when I was home and couldn't budge it.

We were very lucky. After that we attached some stuff.

As a guy that has worked in a prison and had kids. Do the book shelves, and then observe. If they are attracted to other stuff that might fall over, tie those down also.

I love how women pretend they don't know how to use a cordless drill or even know how to hang something on a wall.

Its code here in Colorado to have your stove secured. Just prior to Thanksgiving 2009 we had a new stove installed while I was at work. Thanksgiving arrives. We have a crowd for Dinner.

I smoked a smallish turkey and three pheasants. Mrs. DW had a large bird, 20+ lbs. in the oven. Folks are all over the house and kitchen, drinks are being made, pies pulled out of the oven and the fridge. Sides being made and put into serving dishes. Gravy into the gravy boat ( Thanks whichever one of her relatives gave us a gravy boat. You couldn't have made it a Dremel)

Mrs. DW wants a look at the turkey. She slides out the sliding rack with the bird on it. So we have the weight of the door, the rack, the roasting pan and the bird all out front of the oven. It tipped. Major mess. No one hurt. Black Friday I was at Home Depot talking to the Manager. The resolution was that I would be given and would personally install this floor bracket you slide the foot of the stove into, sort of a boot to hold it in place, they would cancel the charge for the stove and the install, and everybody would go about their lives.

BTW Otis I did get to smoke a cigar that day and hit the strip club. Mrs. DW has no idea how long stuff takes, and she ,of course, had to go shopping with her sister. No B.J. for me as somehow the original faulty install was all my fault. I should have been there supervising.

Its code here in Colorado to have your stove secured. Just prior to Thanksgiving 2009 we had a new stove installed while I was at work. Thanksgiving arrives. We have a crowd for Dinner.

I smoked a smallish turkey and three pheasants. Mrs. DW had a large bird, 20+ lbs. in the oven. Folks are all over the house and kitchen, drinks are being made, pies pulled out of the oven and the fridge. Sides being made and put into serving dishes. Gravy into the gravy boat ( Thanks whichever one of her relatives gave us a gravy boat. You couldn't have made it a Dremel)

Mrs. DW wants a look at the turkey. She slides out the sliding rack with the bird on it. So we have the weight of the door, the rack, the roasting pan and the bird all out front of the oven. It tipped. Major mess. No one hurt. Black Friday I was at Home Depot talking to the Manager. The resolution was that I would be given and would personally install this floor bracket you slide the foot of the stove into, sort of a boot to hold it in place, they would cancel the charge for the stove and the install, and everybody would go about their lives.

BTW Otis I did get to smoke a cigar that day and hit the strip club. Mrs. DW has no idea how long stuff takes, and she ,of course, had to go shopping with her sister. No B.J. for me as somehow the original faulty install was all my fault. I should have been there supervising.
That was long, boring, and had no payoff.

I love how women pretend they don't know how to use a cordless drill or even know how to hang something on a wall.
They don't. They also have no sense of direction and do not understand a thermostat. (A little hint here for the Ladies - The thermostat is not an accelerator. The house does not warm up faster if you turn it to 90. All you accomplish is making the house too hot so that you open windows until it is too cold. Rinse. Repeat. A man designed a thermostat so you would not have to go through this ridiculous process. If you want it just a touch warmer set the thing to just a touch warmer and keep your hands off of it. If you must play with something come over here and get after this rascal.) ).

Sounds a little extreme.
With the chairs affixed to the wall, dinner became a stand up affair...

Nephew pulled bottom drawer out on book shelf and stoop in it in order to reach something. Book shelf tipped over and landed against bed which prevented it from landing on him underneath. He was 5-6 and lucky it didn't catch him wrong between the falling book shelf and bed stand.

They don't. They also have no sense of direction and do not understand a thermostat. (A little hint here for the Ladies - The thermostat is not an accelerator. The house does not warm up faster if you turn it to 90. All you accomplish is making the house too hot so that you open windows until it is too cold. Rinse. Repeat. A man designed a thermostat so you would not have to go through this ridiculous process. If you want it just a touch warmer set the thing to just a touch warmer and keep your hands off of it. If you must play with something come over here and get after this rascal.) ).
They don't know how to wait for a car to heat up before turning on the fan. My wife gets in the car and turns the fan on to full blast thinking the car will heat up faster.

These belong in my "Things Your Wife Doesn't Know How To Do" thread.

Installing two eyehooks and a zip tie to keep your kid from turning himself into Flat Stanley is too much trouble? It's a good idea for tall pieces of furniture even if you don't have kids. Unless you really hate the china your wife's grandmother left her. :mellow:
LMAO

So all these lucky breaks everyone keeps posting it sounds like a waste of time to anchor your furniture. ;)

So all these lucky breaks everyone keeps posting it sounds like a waste of time to anchor your furniture. ;)
I was thinking the same thing. Apparently tippy stuff comes with the built in design protection of being something you install close to a bed to break the fall, or with drawers which will do so. This is forward design thinking. Good job furniture makers!

Users who are viewing this thread