What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DAL WR Dez Bryant's Prospects? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
The other Dez Bryant thread died with people more interested in arguing about Footballguys than discussing football or Dez Bryant. Let's try again here.

He started off dry heaving and turning an ankle. The ankle turned out to be nothing. And dry heaves usually aren't fatal. I think he'll be fine. Maybe even very good this year. And not just because I always pull for guys named Bryant.

What do you think and why?

J

His prospects is that the sky is the limit. Just don't give the media anything even remotely negative to work with.

His prospects is that the sky is the limit. Just don't give the media anything even remotely negative to work with.
How do you see him fitting into the DAL offense?J
Like a glove. As close to a perfect situation as it gets imo. The brightness of the spotlight I'm not sure about, he seems to be doing ok so far and is keeping his focus on the future. Hopefully the mom now shuts up too.

Like a glove. As close to a perfect situation as it gets imo. The brightness of the spotlight I'm not sure about, he seems to be doing ok so far and is keeping his focus on the future. Hopefully the mom now shuts up too.
:lmao: You have to like him opposite Austin. Take some pressure off so there isn't the need to immediately come in and be the guy. Plus Witten is there. Should be fun to see.J

Joe....I think you will see a lot less of the 2 TE sets we saw so much of last year. Dallas will move to more of a single back with 3 WR's. There is no reason not to be somewhat optimistic at Bryant's chances to be successful. Defenses will not be able to just take away Witten, or Austin, they are going to have to account for Dez and still defend the run.From a fantasy perspective, you have to love Romo situation this year:-Decent to good O-line. CHECK-Witten his go to guy and safety value. CHECK-Take your pick of Austin, Dez, Roy, Crayton and even Ogletree. All are legit threats and yes the Roy haters will take shots at him (Lord knows I have), but Roy on a teams 3rd CB is a matching that even I like his chances at. CHECK Sorry....back to Romo...-A run game that you have to account for. CHECKI see no reason why Romo will not increase his numbers from last year and put him in range of QB 2 - QB 5 (imo). Edited for a bunch of problems...(trying to multitask here)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big believer in Dez. I think he likely ends up in the top 10 dynasty WR's, probably closer to top 5. He is an absolute beast on the field. The character concerns are overblown. I think Dallas is ultimately the perfect scenario for fantasy as well. He has a very good QB throwing to him and a strong offense around him. I think people will underestimate his prospects due to the presence of Witten and Austin, but it is my belief he becomes the #1 option in Dallas, possibly as soon as next season. I am getting my hands on him in any league that I can.

Joe....I think you will see a lot less of the 2 TE sets we saw so much of last year. Dallas will move to more of a single back with 3 WR's. There is no reason not to be somewhat optimistic at Bryant's chances to be successful. Defenses will not be able to just take away Witten, or Austin, they are going to have to account for Dez and still defend the run.From a fantasy perspective, you have to love Romo situation this year:-Decent to good O-line. CHECK-Witten his go to guy and safety value-Take your pick of Austin, Dez, Roy, Crayton and even Ogletree. All are legit threats and yes the ROy hate will take shots at him (Lord knows I have), but Roy on a teams 3rd CB is a matching that even I like his chances at. Sorry....back to Romo...-A run game that you have to account for.I see no reason why Romo will not increase his numbers from last year and put him in range of QB 2 - QB 5 (imo). -
I can see that. And you bring up a good point on this - I think Tony Romo when I think Dez Bryant. Romo's really the one that benefits.J

My bigger concern is will Roy Williams cause trouble. Is Jerry ok with phasing him out? Will he shoot his mouth off and try and cause dissent?

At this point the chances of Dez being better for the team than Roy within a season or two seem pretty damn good, but what noise will Roy make on the way out.

I think Crabtree and Bryant are very similarly skilled, so a comparison of situations and working off of Crabs' stats last year may be a good start.

Crabtree '09: 48 625 2 in 10 games, which is 4.8 62.5 .2 per game, which projects to 76.8 1000 and 3.2 for a full season. Not too shabby for a rookie who didn't get in the box score until Week 7.

Bryant v. Crabtree: Athletically, I see them as pretty similar. Situationally, Bryant SHOULD be in a much better spot. Tony Romo is a prolific QB, worlds better than Alex Smith. The SF offense attempted 528 passes for 3052 yards in '09. Dallas attempted 550 passes for 4287 yards in '09. In Dallas, Dez will have to compete with Miles Austin, Roy Williams, and Witten for catches. In SF, Crabtree pretty much only has to compete with Vernon Davis for balls. All in all, I'd say Dez's situation a good bit better in the long term. Despite the talent surrounding him in the WR corps, I believe he'll rise to the top. Tony Romo has not shown a propensity over the years to spread the ball around as much as a guy like Drew Brees has, which means that top level WR1 #s can be achieved, as TO had very good years in Dallas, and last year Austin was a ball hog. For the short term, I'd say his situation is a good bit worse than Crabs' because Dallas doesn't have the need for that WR1 that SF had from Day 1. Dez will certainly see the field in a big way, but won't become the top level producer we all think he'll be until further down the road.

For 2010, I'd start with Crabs' full season '09 #s and say Dez has fewer catches, a few less yards, and a few more TDs:

58 catches, 950 yards, 5 TDs

Will Austin or Bryant have the better Fantasy season? Right now I have them ranked right next to each other because I am not sure. I may have to wait for the preseason to decide. Historically I do not draft rookie WRs (redraft) but Bryant may be the exception.

Physically and in terms of his skill set, he has near unlimited potential. What we'll need to see, and only time will tell, is whether the things that bother some turn out to be pertinent. Joe, as you know, our buddy Doug Drinen isn't one for hyperbole, and LOVES Oklahoma State, so when he expressed doubts about the kid, I took notice. Basically Doug said that Dez really doesn't like contact (not a death knell for receivers but certainly something, if true, that could keep him from ascending to the elite) and said he was very much the kind of player that could let adverse circumstances get into his head and hurt his focus. I suspect he'll be challenged plenty early on in his career. Can he mature and put that past him? If so, I have to defer to guys like Sigmund and Matt and Cecil who look at tons of college game film and have nothing negative to say about the kid.

Certainly the situation is enviable. He goes to a big market team that doesn't need him to be great right away. He won't make huge bucks out of the gate, so he should stay focused, but yet is on a team where the owner will break the bank wide open for him if he's a star. I'm a fan of Jason Garrett, and as others have said, I think Romo is an elite QB and deserves to be considered right up there with the tier just below Rodgers and Brees.

i'm not worried at all with regard to his rough start. i for one am very excited to see what this kid can do this season and beyond - i just picked him up in my dynasty rookie draft. i think his situation is excellent and see him starting week 1 as the #2 in the prolific cowboys offense and potentially supplanting austin by season's end (though it really wouldn't make a difference for either of them fantasy wise imo). the cowboys entire offense gets a bump by adding this kid and he should flourish in the situation, barring any setbacks off the field (which is overblown imo).

I am cautiously optimistic
:lmao: I think he and Miles Austin will be the next Fitzgerald/Boldin in that teams won't be able to double team anyone (Jason Witten helps w/ that as well) and will make Tony Romo a Top-5 QB for years to come.

Will Austin or Bryant have the better Fantasy season? Right now I have them ranked right next to each other because I am not sure. I may have to wait for the preseason to decide. Historically I do not draft rookie WRs (redraft) but Bryant may be the exception.
I don't think there's much question that if both stay healthy Austin will have a much better season.Only 14 rookie WRs have gone for 1,000+ yards in the history of the game, and only three have eclipsed the 1,300-yard mark (Groman, Moss, Boldin). Meanwhile Austin had 1,320 yards last year despite only starting nine games.

I think Crabtree and Bryant are very similarly skilled, so a comparison of situations and working off of Crabs' stats last year may be a good start.

Crabtree '09: 48 625 2 in 10 games, which is 4.8 62.5 .2 per game, which projects to 76.8 1000 and 3.2 for a full season. Not too shabby for a rookie who didn't get in the box score until Week 7.

Bryant v. Crabtree: Athletically, I see them as pretty similar. Situationally, Bryant SHOULD be in a much better spot. Tony Romo is a prolific QB, worlds better than Alex Smith. The SF offense attempted 528 passes for 3052 yards in '09. Dallas attempted 550 passes for 4287 yards in '09. In Dallas, Dez will have to compete with Miles Austin, Roy Williams, and Witten for catches. In SF, Crabtree pretty much only has to compete with Vernon Davis for balls. All in all, I'd say Dez's situation a good bit better in the long term. Despite the talent surrounding him in the WR corps, I believe he'll rise to the top. Tony Romo has not shown a propensity over the years to spread the ball around as much as a guy like Drew Brees has, which means that top level WR1 #s can be achieved, as TO had very good years in Dallas, and last year Austin was a ball hog. For the short term, I'd say his situation is a good bit worse than Crabs' because Dallas doesn't have the need for that WR1 that SF had from Day 1. Dez will certainly see the field in a big way, but won't become the top level producer we all think he'll be until further down the road.

For 2010, I'd start with Crabs' full season '09 #s and say Dez has fewer catches, a few less yards, and a few more TDs:

I don't agree. Bryant has a degree of power from the WR position that I think very few WR's can match.

I am going to get killed for this opinion-but I still am not convinced about Austin. Don't get me wrong....as a Cowboy fan I love him, but from a fantasy point of view I'm still not convinced he's a stud. :rant: He is almost like a system QB, perhaps average talent and put in a good position = gold? If his situation changes (Dez is the stud he appears to be and even say Roy plays a bit better then last year) what do Austin's numbers look like? I have heard some FFers talk about top 5 WR pick for this year. At that price I am NOT buying. However, Dez is definately on my radar and pre-season will tell us a lot imo.

Physically and in terms of his skill set, he has near unlimited potential. What we'll need to see, and only time will tell, is whether the things that bother some turn out to be pertinent. Joe, as you know, our buddy Doug Drinen isn't one for hyperbole, and LOVES Oklahoma State, so when he expressed doubts about the kid, I took notice. Basically Doug said that Dez really doesn't like contact (not a death knell for receivers but certainly something, if true, that could keep him from ascending to the elite) and said he was very much the kind of player that could let adverse circumstances get into his head and hurt his focus. I suspect he'll be challenged plenty early on in his career. Can he mature and put that past him? If so, I have to defer to guys like Sigmund and Matt and Cecil who look at tons of college game film and have nothing negative to say about the kid.Certainly the situation is enviable. He goes to a big market team that doesn't need him to be great right away. He won't make huge bucks out of the gate, so he should stay focused, but yet is on a team where the owner will break the bank wide open for him if he's a star. I'm a fan of Jason Garrett, and as others have said, I think Romo is an elite QB and deserves to be considered right up there with the tier just below Rodgers and Brees.
You know Drinen, though Woodrow. He worries about everything. If the kid was from OU, he'd probably love him... :rant:J

I think Crabtree and Bryant are very similarly skilled, so a comparison of situations and working off of Crabs' stats last year may be a good start. Crabtree '09: 48 625 2 in 10 games, which is 4.8 62.5 .2 per game, which projects to 76.8 1000 and 3.2 for a full season. Not too shabby for a rookie who didn't get in the box score until Week 7. Bryant v. Crabtree: Athletically, I see them as pretty similar. Situationally, Bryant SHOULD be in a much better spot. Tony Romo is a prolific QB, worlds better than Alex Smith. The SF offense attempted 528 passes for 3052 yards in '09. Dallas attempted 550 passes for 4287 yards in '09. In Dallas, Dez will have to compete with Miles Austin, Roy Williams, and Witten for catches. In SF, Crabtree pretty much only has to compete with Vernon Davis for balls. All in all, I'd say Dez's situation a good bit better in the long term. Despite the talent surrounding him in the WR corps, I believe he'll rise to the top. Tony Romo has not shown a propensity over the years to spread the ball around as much as a guy like Drew Brees has, which means that top level WR1 #s can be achieved, as TO had very good years in Dallas, and last year Austin was a ball hog. For the short term, I'd say his situation is a good bit worse than Crabs' because Dallas doesn't have the need for that WR1 that SF had from Day 1. Dez will certainly see the field in a big way, but won't become the top level producer we all think he'll be until further down the road.For 2010, I'd start with Crabs' full season '09 #s and say Dez has fewer catches, a few less yards, and a few more TDs:58 catches, 950 yards, 5 TDs
Crabtree is an excellent comparison, although I would say Bryant is the more explosive of the two and Bryant was considered the better WR in his sophmore year when they were both playing in college. It will all depend on if Bryant gets to camp on time. I believe he will, due to his draft position and Jerry and Stephen's track record in this matter. What is going to make Bryant is that Romo is going to fall in love with him in camp. Bryant's ability to adapt to broken plays and make acrobatic catches look routine will put him on the field in crucial situation. His strength and explosivness will give him huge big play potential. Bryant is going to have a big rookie year and Romo is going to be at least a top 3 QB this season.

Total beast. Perennial top 10 WR once he gets comfortable.
How many years before he is a top 10 WR?
That depends on a lot of things. Does Witten keep producing at an elite level? Do the Cowboys let Austin walk next year?There's really no way of knowing. All I can say is that in dynasty leagues you bank on elite talent and let the situation solve itself. At some point in the near future Bryant should become a player that everyone would love to have on their roster.

Physically and in terms of his skill set, he has near unlimited potential. What we'll need to see, and only time will tell, is whether the things that bother some turn out to be pertinent. Joe, as you know, our buddy Doug Drinen isn't one for hyperbole, and LOVES Oklahoma State, so when he expressed doubts about the kid, I took notice. Basically Doug said that Dez really doesn't like contact (not a death knell for receivers but certainly something, if true, that could keep him from ascending to the elite) and said he was very much the kind of player that could let adverse circumstances get into his head and hurt his focus. I suspect he'll be challenged plenty early on in his career. Can he mature and put that past him? If so, I have to defer to guys like Sigmund and Matt and Cecil who look at tons of college game film and have nothing negative to say about the kid.Certainly the situation is enviable. He goes to a big market team that doesn't need him to be great right away. He won't make huge bucks out of the gate, so he should stay focused, but yet is on a team where the owner will break the bank wide open for him if he's a star. I'm a fan of Jason Garrett, and as others have said, I think Romo is an elite QB and deserves to be considered right up there with the tier just below Rodgers and Brees.
I agree and disagee. Teams have tried to get him off his game by playing him physically. Search on youtube for Dez Bryant against Georgia. He got hammered throughout the game and ended up taking some dumb penalties and making some poor plays. Yet, he still played well and his Football talent still was on display.If he can mentally mature a bit-LOOKOUT. Ray Sherman WR coach for Dallas has worked with some of the best WR's ever, so I like Dez's chances.

Do the Cowboys let Austin walk next year?
I think Jerry Jones has a man crush on Austin. You're right in that we don't know for sure, but my money is on him staying put.

Do the Cowboys let Austin walk next year?
I think Jerry Jones has a man crush on Austin. You're right in that we don't know for sure, but my money is on him staying put.
If Austin has a 1000 yard season this year he will stay. If he doesn't play well statistically but doesn't want an out of range contract he will still stay and get another chance. If he plays poorly wants too much money then he will go. If he gets hurt and wants too much money he will probably be fanchised.

Crabtree is an excellent comparison, although I would say Bryant is the more explosive of the two and Bryant was considered the better WR in his sophmore year when they were both playing in college. It will all depend on if Bryant gets to camp on time. I believe he will, due to his draft position and Jerry and Stephen's track record in this matter.

What is going to make Bryant is that Romo is going to fall in love with him in camp. Bryant's ability to adapt to broken plays and make acrobatic catches look routine will put him on the field in crucial situation. His strength and explosivness will give him huge big play potential.

Bryant is going to have a big rookie year and Romo is going to be at least a top 3 QB this season.
Hi Tyrion,

Do you have a gut feel yet for how you think Bryant will rank among WRs for a redraft league this year? Seems like he's hovering around the #40 mark for us. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/v...amp;howrecent=7 (in PPR) You see him better than that?

J

Crabtree is an excellent comparison, although I would say Bryant is the more explosive of the two and Bryant was considered the better WR in his sophmore year when they were both playing in college. It will all depend on if Bryant gets to camp on time. I believe he will, due to his draft position and Jerry and Stephen's track record in this matter.

What is going to make Bryant is that Romo is going to fall in love with him in camp. Bryant's ability to adapt to broken plays and make acrobatic catches look routine will put him on the field in crucial situation. His strength and explosivness will give him huge big play potential.

Bryant is going to have a big rookie year and Romo is going to be at least a top 3 QB this season.
Hi Tyrion,

Do you have a gut feel yet for how you think Bryant will rank among WRs for a redraft league this year? Seems like he's hovering around the #40 mark for us. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/v...amp;howrecent=7 (in PPR) You see him better than that?

J
Subscriber content is blocked by the firewall where I am at currently but I will post after I get home. To be honest I have not taken a look at redraft league ranking information as of yet. This time of year I mostly spend my time on Cowboy information like the draft and free agent market and wait until training camp before I delve into the other teams and begin formulating my fantasy rankings.

Now in his most optimum level and if everything falls right for him.

ie.

He get's into camp on time.

He doen't miss time due to injury.

He understands the play book.

The kid can be a top 10 WR right off the bat.

He has Anquan Bolden's body with Randy Moss's leaping ability and body control. I haven't seen anything like it.

Austin and Roy Williams are not going to keep this kid on the bench.

Tony Romo is going to fall in love with him.

Come on guys Austin will still be the man this year and if anything Bryant only helps him. If Bryant gets 1000 yards this year I would b surprised but if Austin does not get 1000 I would be very surprised.

Austin 85-1300-12

Bryant 50-740-5

Witten-85-900-5

I believe Witten's numbers drop a bit this season and they really use him more underneath. As a Cowboys fan I just hope Dallas does not forget they have 3 talented running backs and abandon the run this year cause that is what is going to get them deep in the playoffs. They need 420+ rushing attempts to keep Romo healthy.

Hi Tyrion,

J
Subscriber content is blocked by the firewall where I am at currently but I will post after I get home. To be honest I have not taken a look at redraft league ranking information as of yet. This time of year I mostly spend my time on Cowboy information like the draft and free agent market and wait until training camp before I delve into the other teams and begin formulating my fantasy rankings.

Now in his most optimum level and if everything falls right for him.

ie.

He get's into camp on time.

He doen't miss time due to injury.

He understands the play book.

The kid can be a top 10 WR right off the bat.

He has Anquan Bolden's body with Randy Moss's leaping ability and body control. I haven't seen anything like it.

Austin and Roy Williams are not going to keep this kid on the bench.

Tony Romo is going to fall in love with him.
Cool. I'd be interested to hear where you see him going in redraft leagues. In other words, where he'll wind up ranking among the WRs after the season is over.J

The other Dez Bryant thread died with people more interested in arguing about Footballguys than discussing football or Dez Bryant. Let's try again here.

He started off dry heaving and turning an ankle. The ankle turned out to be nothing. And dry heaves usually aren't fatal. I think he'll be fine. Maybe even very good this year. And not just because I always pull for guys named Bryant.

What do you think and why?

J
Big Antonio fan? Starting in 2011 Dez will be a top 10 WR. In 2010 I expect top 30ish. Hate to say it but Witten goes back to 60some receptions.

Isn't he from TX originally? I ask because a guy with maybe some off-field concerns that is going to be making tons of money close to home, might have more problems than if he would have gone to, say, Denver.

Thoughts?

SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/fant...atch/index.html

NFL rookie watch: Dez Bryant

With the draft now in the NFL's rear-view mirror and training camps in the future, it's time to take an early look at a handful of rookies who are poised to make an impact this fall. getting things started is Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Bryant is a physical freak with a bit of baggage. In October, his relationship to future Hall of Famer and NFL Network commentator Deion Sanders put the NCAA on alert, and Bryant was suspended for the remainder of his junior season. Still, with just one full collegiate season to show, Bryant had plenty of believers. He's confident and capable of destroying defenses on every down. In March, Bryant decided to enter the NFL draft early and was selected with the No. 24 pick after Dallas made a deal with New England to move up three spots. He will wear Michael Irvin's No. 88. A few days after the draft it was revealed that Bryant has an irregular heartbeat, but his condition is not a concern for the Cowboys medical staff.

Dissecting the depth chart: Let's make it simple -- Dallas is loaded. Miles Austin ranked among the league's top receivers last year in yards and touchdowns, while tight end Jason Witten caught 94 passes for 1,030 yards. Those two players alone demand much of quarterback Tony Romo's attention. But Dallas is also financially bound to Roy Williams for another season, and Patrick Crayton caught 37 passes last year. Throw in Sam Hurd and coaching-staff-favorite Kevin Ogletree and there are a few too many egos to satisfy. Fantasy owners should still feel confident that Bryant will find his place on the field sooner rather than later; he represents the future, while Williams, Crayton and Hurd in some ways already represent the past.

Just the stats: Bryant played in just three games last season before the suspension, racking up four touchdowns in those games (161 yards in a win over Rice). The year prior, Bryant was one of the best receivers in the country, with 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns in 13 games. Highlights included a pair of 200-yard games, three or more touchdown catches in four games, and a career-best 13 receptions in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl against Oregon. As a freshman in '07, Bryant caught eight balls for 155 yards in a loss to Kansas, then beat up on Indiana in the Insight Bowl (nine catches, 117 yards, two touchdowns).

Rookie comparison from '09: Michael Crabtree, 49ers

Like his Big 12 rival, Bryant should have little trouble making the transition to the next level (and there is a good chance he'll arrive in camp ahead of Crabtree's schedule). Bryant has an NFL-ready body and a chip on his shoulder. However, while Crabtree was able to slide into the lineup with ease at San Francisco, Bryant will have to work hard just to get reps at Dallas.

Interesting fact that won't help you: Since the start of the common draft, Bryant is the third Oklahoma State wide receiver to get selected in Round 1. The others (Hart Lee Dykes in 1989 and Rashaun Woods in 2004) didn't have lasting NFL careers.

What he's worth: Bryant has more ability than any other receiver in this draft class, but it is probable fantasy owners will see inconsistent totals from him in Year 1. Not only must he shake off the rust from not playing for a full year, but the presence of Austin and Witten will limit Bryant's ability to post steady numbers each week.

In keeper leagues Bryant has tremendous upside, but for '10 he is only worth a mid- to late round pick as a No. 5 receiver in standard leagues.

Faust:

He will need to ascend the depth chart, which shouldn't be too difficult given that the Cowboys traded up to get him, and will give their new WR every opportunity to succeed. I think he will be inconsistent this year and in redraft leagues, I don't think I would try to reach too early for him. I am more interested in trying to grab him in keeper or dynasty formats; however, the hype surrounding him and the fact that his is a Cowboy ( a few too many avid Cowboy fans in my leagues ) will likely preclude me from securing him, as I am a big fan of value for your draft pick or auction dollars.

Isn't he from TX originally? I ask because a guy with maybe some off-field concerns that is going to be making tons of money close to home, might have more problems than if he would have gone to, say, Denver.Thoughts?
He is from Lukfin a fairly small town (35,000 ish) 180 miles or so from Dallas in East Texas.

Come on guys Austin will still be the man this year and if anything Bryant only helps him. If Bryant gets 1000 yards this year I would b surprised but if Austin does not get 1000 I would be very surprised.Austin 85-1300-12Bryant 50-740-5Witten-85-900-5I believe Witten's numbers drop a bit this season and they really use him more underneath. As a Cowboys fan I just hope Dallas does not forget they have 3 talented running backs and abandon the run this year cause that is what is going to get them deep in the playoffs. They need 420+ rushing attempts to keep Romo healthy.
Normally I would agree with you. My normal reaction to rookie WRs is that they take 2 years to develop and make an impact. That is why I was never high on Dallas drafting one in the first 2 rounds the last few years because I felt that we had other needs that could offer a more immediate impact.And I almost never suggest drafting a rookie WR anywhere near early in fantasy football unless your doing a rookie draft. They are a crap shoot usually and you can almost always find one of equal value off of the waiver wire in week 2-3.That being said there are always exceptions. In the last decade the only WRs I was high on coming out were Fitzgerald and C. Johonson but I tempered my expectations on both players due to their QBs. Dez Bryant has the ability and is going to a perfect situation.Dez Bryant will enter camp as the best wr they have in a number of areasBest hands (The guy wears 3XL gloves and can snatch the ball out of the air one handed.)Best body control (He jumps out of the gym and catches the ball away from his body at odd angles.)Best explosion after the catch and field awareness (not too many WRs his size playing punt returns.)Best WR to go over the middle. ( We have not had a guy that did that well since we lost Irvin. People mention TO but TO was never a goto slant guy. Bryant is fearless over the middle and has the size to take a hit and deliver one.)Bryant will become our best redzone target. (For all of the reasons mentioned above.)These things are going to endear him to Tony Romo. I am a big fan of Romo and he does alot of things well but he likes to take risks with the ball and his accuracy is not the best. Dez Bryant is going to protect and reward him on some of those throws. I too would be shocked if Austin doesn't get over 1000 yards but Bryant will soon become Romo's best friend and will take that #1 role. Austin will be a strong #2 (Think Chris Carter when Moss was added to the Vikings).Roy will either get motivated and be a dominant #3 or he will lose his job and be on the bench.

Come on guys Austin will still be the man this year and if anything Bryant only helps him. If Bryant gets 1000 yards this year I would b surprised but if Austin does not get 1000 I would be very surprised.Austin 85-1300-12Bryant 50-740-5Witten-85-900-5I believe Witten's numbers drop a bit this season and they really use him more underneath. As a Cowboys fan I just hope Dallas does not forget they have 3 talented running backs and abandon the run this year cause that is what is going to get them deep in the playoffs. They need 420+ rushing attempts to keep Romo healthy.
Normally I would agree with you. My normal reaction to rookie WRs is that they take 2 years to develop and make an impact. That is why I was never high on Dallas drafting one in the first 2 rounds the last few years because I felt that we had other needs that could offer a more immediate impact.And I almost never suggest drafting a rookie WR anywhere near early in fantasy football unless your doing a rookie draft. They are a crap shoot usually and you can almost always find one of equal value off of the waiver wire in week 2-3.That being said there are always exceptions. In the last decade the only WRs I was high on coming out were Fitzgerald and C. Johonson but I tempered my expectations on both players due to their QBs. Dez Bryant has the ability and is going to a perfect situation.Dez Bryant will enter camp as the best wr they have in a number of areasBest hands (The guy wears 3XL gloves and can snatch the ball out of the air one handed.)Best body control (He jumps out of the gym and catches the ball away from his body at odd angles.)Best explosion after the catch and field awareness (not too many WRs his size playing punt returns.)Best WR to go over the middle. ( We have not had a guy that did that well since we lost Irvin. People mention TO but TO was never a goto slant guy. Bryant is fearless over the middle and has the size to take a hit and deliver one.)Bryant will become our best redzone target. (For all of the reasons mentioned above.)These things are going to endear him to Tony Romo. I am a big fan of Romo and he does alot of things well but he likes to take risks with the ball and his accuracy is not the best. Dez Bryant is going to protect and reward him on some of those throws. I too would be shocked if Austin doesn't get over 1000 yards but Bryant will soon become Romo's best friend and will take that #1 role. Austin will be a strong #2 (Think Chris Carter when Moss was added to the Vikings).Roy will either get motivated and be a dominant #3 or he will lose his job and be on the bench.
Hey I hope you are right but a lot has to go right for Bryant to take over the #1 from Austin. Romo and Austin have a great rapport and that just does not come over night. Romo has to gain trust of Bryant and while I think Bryant will be the 1a near the end of this season no way this guy just pushes Austin to wr2 this year. Bryant will be much more a better football player this year then fantasy #'s guy this season IMO. I doubt he gets near 1000 yards as the third passing option and if Roy is still around it will take Bryant a couple of more weeks to get his targets to be anywhere close to a wr1. When the playoffs role around Dez might be the man with Austin playing a strong second fiddle as you said. My low end for Dez is 40-560-4 high end 60-840-7. I think he lies somewhere in between. Then he's a 80+ catch 1200 yard + 10+ td guy from there on out.

Hi Tyrion,

J
After looking at the rankings I can give you where I think he will end up at the end of the season and that is right around the top 15 mark but if I had to draft him right now before any more camps and pre-season I probably couldn't pull the trigger until after the top 20 -22 WRs (according to the rankings you have ) were off the board. I couldn't in good concience, draft a rookie WR as my #1 WR this early. If I could have him as my 2nd WR I would do it and as my 3rd I would be very happy.

Jeff Teferteller has him ranked the closest at #25.

Mustang Man

As I said before, normally I would agree with you but this is a special case. Austin doesn't have the hands that his guy has and to be honest with you I don't think Romo trusted him as much as you think. He trusted him more than the other WRs no doubt, but not the kind of trust he is going to build with Bryant.

It won't take but one practice for Romo to become Bryant's biggest fan.

Remember that Dez came into this camp after only playing 3 games last season and was playing with 2 Rookie Free Agent QB's that he had probably never even laid eyes on before. According to Gil Brandt on sirius radio they were playing in a strong wind that was making the ball sail and flutter and Bryant was catching everything and making it look easy.

Imagine what he is going to do with an experienced QB throwing him the ball in a dome?

Physically and in terms of his skill set, he has near unlimited potential. What we'll need to see, and only time will tell, is whether the things that bother some turn out to be pertinent. Joe, as you know, our buddy Doug Drinen isn't one for hyperbole, and LOVES Oklahoma State, so when he expressed doubts about the kid, I took notice. Basically Doug said that Dez really doesn't like contact (not a death knell for receivers but certainly something, if true, that could keep him from ascending to the elite) and said he was very much the kind of player that could let adverse circumstances get into his head and hurt his focus. I suspect he'll be challenged plenty early on in his career. Can he mature and put that past him? If so, I have to defer to guys like Sigmund and Matt and Cecil who look at tons of college game film and have nothing negative to say about the kid.
Marvin Harrison hated contact, but he did ok. Of course Dez Bryant's game is a lot different than Harrison and he's built to take punishment, whereas Harrison needed to avoid contact due to his frail body.

Hi Tyrion,

J
After looking at the rankings I can give you where I think he will end up at the end of the season and that is right around the top 15 mark but if I had to draft him right now before any more camps and pre-season I probably couldn't pull the trigger until after the top 20 -22 WRs (according to the rankings you have ) were off the board. I couldn't in good concience, draft a rookie WR as my #1 WR this early. If I could have him as my 2nd WR I would do it and as my 3rd I would be very happy.

Jeff Teferteller has him ranked the closest at #25.

Mustang Man

As I said before, normally I would agree with you but this is a special case. Austin doesn't have the hands that his guy has and to be honest with you I don't think Romo trusted him as much as you think. He trusted him more than the other WRs no doubt, but not the kind of trust he is going to build with Bryant.

It won't take but one practice for Romo to become Bryant's biggest fan.

Remember that Dez came into this camp after only playing 3 games last season and was playing with 2 Rookie Free Agent QB's that he had probably never even laid eyes on before. According to Gil Brandt on sirius radio they were playing in a strong wind that was making the ball sail and flutter and Bryant was catching everything and making it look easy.

Imagine what he is going to do with an experienced QB throwing him the ball in a dome?
Well as we speak right now Dez as a ton of work to do. He is super talented for sure I just doubt he steps right in as the #1 week 1. Do not see it. If everything goes his way and that is a lot to ask it could happen chances are it won't. He will be a stud but from right off the jump it will be tough. I am rooting for him that is for sure!

We're going to have to see how things transpire through minicamps, OTAs and training camp. As mesmirizing as he was at the rookie camp, I want to see how well he grasps the offense and gains cohesion with Romo and the no. 1 unit. I have no doubt that he'll work hard at it but he'll still have to gel. He's got to develop some chemistry. That's what I will be looking for. I think having Irvin in his corner will be a huge plus, and believe me, Irvin will be spending time with him. For any of you who saw Irvin's show on Spike TV last year you know where I'm coming from. That's Michael Irvin. He takes a very serious approach to "preparing" to play football in the NFL. That's how he made it to the HOF. Between Irvin and this coaching staff, Dez Bryant couldn't be in better hands right now.

So how does this affect Roy Williams? Everybody's no. 1 question. For one, Roy doesn't have near the talent that Bryant has from a pure athletic standpoint. Actions will always speak louder than words. That will never change. The action that the Cowboys took in the first round of this draft was to select Dez Bryant. Not only that, but they traded up to get him. I don't have to tell you that that's aggressive. The last time they traded up in the first round was for Mike Jenkins. Are you hearing me? If Dez can bring himself along well enough leading up to the preseason to gain some playing time with the first unit and produce with it it will be all over. Roy Williams won't be good enough to hold him off. He is what he is, and he's not Dez Bryant.

It's too tough to project any numbers at this point. The key is for Dez Bryant to work himself into the lineup and onto the field. Obviously, this will be the leading story from Cowboys training camp. On a daily basis. Everything will be scrutinized. Everything. We can only wonder how Roy Williams will hold up throughout all of that being the underdog. And he will be. He has to figure out a way to hold off everybody's favorite rookie. And the superior talent. I don't like his odds.

ETA: The Cowboys drafted with a purpose this year to get at least two players they think can contribute this year, as teams generally do. Difference being, there's not exactly any glaring voids showing here in Dallas.

Enter Dez Bryant and Sean Lee. They didn't make that move in the first round for Bryant simply for fodder.

He'll see the field far sooner than later regardless.

I think the sky is the limit with Bryant. It would be a bold move, but I would take Bryant in a dynasty format ahead of Austin.

Everyone is gushing over Austin who is coming off a tremendous year. I think part of the gushing for Austin is he came out of no where to have such a good year. Sure, Austin passes the eye ball test and has some great football in front of him. But I think Bryant will be the more heavily targeted WR as early as next year. I think Bryant is a day 1 starter this year and has stud status written all over him as early as next year.

i thought i had a bit of a man crush on Dez. but after reading this thread, i feel like i've barely noticed the guy. it appears there are some that are dry humping air at the thought of Dez stepping on the field. :popcorn:

i thought i had a bit of a man crush on Dez. but after reading this thread, i feel like i've barely noticed the guy. it appears there are some that are dry humping air at the thought of Dez stepping on the field. :rant:
Dez Bryant country. Where the men are men and the air is scared.

i thought i had a bit of a man crush on Dez. but after reading this thread, i feel like i've barely noticed the guy. it appears there are some that are dry humping air at the thought of Dez stepping on the field. :(
glad you didn't take that the wrong way. you are, by far, the highest on Dez of anyone i've read. anywhere. and i do hope you're right. but i have a tendency to crash hard when i get that high, so i try not to do it all that often.

i thought i had a bit of a man crush on Dez. but after reading this thread, i feel like i've barely noticed the guy. it appears there are some that are dry humping air at the thought of Dez stepping on the field. :coffee:
glad you didn't take that the wrong way. you are, by far, the highest on Dez of anyone i've read. anywhere. and i do hope you're right. but i have a tendency to crash hard when i get that high, so i try not to do it all that often.
No problem at all. I recognize that I am higher on him than others but that is where I see him at this point in time with the information I have been given. Luckily for me I don't have to draft him in any of my leagues before I see him in training camp.If he comes crashing to earth during that time, I will adjust my rankings. Barring injury or hold out however I don't expect it.

The bottom line here in 2010 is that Bryant is going to be drafted too high most of the time in redrafts.

Dyansty is a totally different issue. Bryant in 2011/2012/2013...I like him more the further we go out.

He will ahve some moments on this team but there are lots of talented guys already on the roster, let me highlight them all.

WR1-Miles Austin-was top10 last year at least, earned a Pro Bowl nod too.

WR2/3-Roy Williams/Patrick Crayton...both could start for several teams aroudn the league.

TE1-Witten, eats up a lot of balls

TE2-Bennett, just waiting for his chance to take the field as a starter

RB1-Felix Jones, gonna get some touches

RB2-MBIII, gonna get everything Felix doesn't

RB3-Choice, perhaps the best RB3 in all of football

Bryant was a luxury pick for Dallas, most teams would be happy with the WRs they have, plus Ogletree was developing too.

Dez Bryant in 2010: 50-60 receptions, 800-900 yds, and 4-5Tds...something like that. You can get similar production form a ton of less sexy picks so don't fall for him too hard in redraft leagues. I do not think h will look like Randy Moss as a rookie, still needs to develop and adjust to the Pro level.

Users who are viewing this thread