What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dan Herron.....anything there? (1 Viewer)

The lack of carries was frustrating. I was thrilled by the TD run, dismayed by the fumble and by the lack of receptions in a 49 point game. But what's really sick is how the Colts give the same number of carries to the guy with a 1 yard average,

The lack of carries was frustrating. I was thrilled by the TD run, dismayed by the fumble and by the lack of receptions in a 49 point game. But what's really sick is how the Colts give the same number of carries to the guy with a 1 yard average,
They just can't believe a guy that big and strong sucks so bad.

Pity. He really seems to have all the tools to keep the job short-to-medium term but he can't hold on to the ball.

Could be a very solid RB2. Hopefully for us owners he can his issues sorted out

I read somewhere they had the ball something like 5 minutes the entire second half. That was the reason for the lack of carries after the big run.

The Indianapolis Star takes the issues head-on here:

Trent Richardson struggles (again), Boom Herron steps up for Colts

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/30/chuck-pagano-boom-herron-got-long-speed/19714861/

Money quote:

Which explains why for all the public adoration showered upon him in a 49-27 victory, the Indianapolis Colts' backup running back understood that NFL longevity can be tied to fumbles.

Herron has had two in as many weeks, a fact his coaches heartily reminded him of upon reaching the sidelines late in the second quarter.

"It's unacceptable; you can't do that," he recalled the coaches shouting. "You stop drives when you fumble the ball."

Herron vowed to spend this week working to prevent a reoccurrence in Cleveland as the Colts meet the Browns. For good reason. Herron just might be his team's starting running back there.

It's starting to remind me of David Wilson with the use of the word "vow", but fortunately there is no Tom Coughlin running the show to excessively beat the kid up publicly/ to the media.

I read somewhere they had the ball something like 5 minutes the entire second half. That was the reason for the lack of carries after the big run.
:goodposting: Looks like only 19 offensive plays in the second half, with only 5 in the third quarter. Luck only had 27 pass attempts.

Time of possesion was Was 36:05 Ind 23:55. Total plays Was 74 Ind 49.

Didn't watch the game but this is what the box score and stat sheet show. Herron did come back into the game after the fumble, which was right around the 1:00 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. After that you had:

1 carry by TR, long bomb TD

[2 straight drives by WAS eat up the clock, because of defensive TD by Ind]

No carries by anyone, long bomb TD

1 carry by TR, 3-&-out punt

1 carry, 1 catch by Herron, long bomb TD

2 carries by Herron (1 negated by penalty), 1 by TR

Basically you had a weird 2nd half with lots of big plays and Indy throwing the ball a ton, right up until the final drive. Indy only had 49 plays on the day, which typically you would think meant they had a bad offensive performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/30/chuck-pagano-boom-herron-got-long-speed/19714861/

Money quote:

Which explains why for all the public adoration showered upon him in a 49-27 victory, the Indianapolis Colts' backup running back understood that NFL longevity can be tied to fumbles.

Herron has had two in as many weeks, a fact his coaches heartily reminded him of upon reaching the sidelines late in the second quarter.

"It's unacceptable; you can't do that," he recalled the coaches shouting. "You stop drives when you fumble the ball."

Herron vowed to spend this week working to prevent a reoccurrence in Cleveland as the Colts meet the Browns. For good reason. Herron just might be his team's starting running back there.

It's starting to remind me of David Wilson with the use of the word "vow", but fortunately there is no Tom Coughlin running the show to excessively beat the kid up publicly/ to the media.
To be fair...averaging 1 ypc stops drives as well. Unless the Colts decide to just abandon the run game entirely, they will continue to give Herron chances which is a good thing for his long term outlook. The bad thing for his long term outlook is that he only has 4 more weeks to prove that he can be the guy and be dependable or else the Colts will look for a RB this offseason.

Thanks (to you and others) for the 2nd half recap. I wondered about his usage after the fumble as well.

The fumbles must be fixed, but I don't think Ind has any other options they can turn too. Certainly when you get that long TD run early in the 2nd quarter we were all hoping for a monster day. I'll obviously take it.

I watched the game and Herron looked quick and powerful to the line of scrimmage. He is no non sense runner that keeps his legs turning and has the ability to move the pile. He plays faster than his 4.66 forty time and there was a notable burst in his game (not just on the long td run). He also has through the first 2 games of seeing meaningful action has showed very nice vision. This is something that Richardson just can't do.

I watched for a couple of things that were nice to see as we go forward and hope to see him be the starter long term. He had a very nice blitz pick up which will help increase his snap count and trust in getting more playing time (this was a strong suit of Bradshaw with his blocking). He also catches the ball naturally on dump offs coming out of the back field. He can be a very good player in Indy and the fumble was a pretty good hit with a helmet to the ball. That is one thing he will continue to work on. I am not sure if he was a fumbler in college at all, so as of right now I think it is merely a bit of bad luck.

The touches were not there in the second half as the Colts barely had the ball and when they did Luck was chucking long TD's. It was night and day when Herron was running the ball vs Richardson. He looked like a pro bowl runner in comparison to Richardson (mind you which is not hard to do).

This game was extremely encouraging and so are the numbers after his first 2 games. Herron's stas over the last 2 games. 20 carries for 153 yards for a 7.65 ypc with 7 receptions for 39 yards. I know it is early but I am starting to think the Colts have found their hidden gem. He looks the part and I don't see why he won't continue to look the part.

Money quote:

To be fair...averaging 1 ypc stops drives as well. Unless the Colts decide to just abandon the run game entirely, they will continue to give Herron chances which is a good thing for his long term outlook. The bad thing for his long term outlook is that he only has 4 more weeks to prove that he can be the guy and be dependable or else the Colts will look for a RB this offseason.
I think it's a guarantee that they will look for a RB in the offseason and that's fine for Herron.

They have Herron for rookie money and so he is by far the best value/$ RB asset they have...far outpacing TRich's Top 5 contract and ABradshaw's FA contract.

Herron's spot next year as a min 50% snap guy is nearing certainty, the question is who will he split carries with.

Whoever it is will not be a big $$$ 3-down guy. GMs are smart enough to know that there is no reason to waste big money when you have a cheap Herron that will capably take 50% of snaps for very little money.

I watched the game and Herron looked quick and powerful to the line of scrimmage. He is no non sense runner that keeps his legs turning and has the ability to move the pile. He plays faster than his 4.66 forty time and there was a notable burst in his game (not just on the long td run). He also has through the first 2 games of seeing meaningful action has showed very nice vision. This is something that Richardson just can't do.

I watched for a couple of things that were nice to see as we go forward and hope to see him be the starter long term. He had a very nice blitz pick up which will help increase his snap count and trust in getting more playing time (this was a strong suit of Bradshaw with his blocking). He also catches the ball naturally on dump offs coming out of the back field. He can be a very good player in Indy and the fumble was a pretty good hit with a helmet to the ball. That is one thing he will continue to work on. I am not sure if he was a fumbler in college at all, so as of right now I think it is merely a bit of bad luck.

The touches were not there in the second half as the Colts barely had the ball and when they did Luck was chucking long TD's. It was night and day when Herron was running the ball vs Richardson. He looked like a pro bowl runner in comparison to Richardson (mind you which is not hard to do).

This game was extremely encouraging and so are the numbers after his first 2 games. Herron's stas over the last 2 games. 20 carries for 153 yards for a 7.65 ypc with 7 receptions for 39 yards. I know it is early but I am starting to think the Colts have found their hidden gem. He looks the part and I don't see why he won't continue to look the part.
:goodposting: Thanks for this. Solid post.

Money quote:

5]Which explains why for all the public adoration showered upon him in a 49-27 victory, the Indianapolis Colts' backup running back understood that NFL longevity can be tied to fumbles.

5]Herron has had two in as many weeks, a fact his coaches heartily reminded him of upon reaching the sidelines late in the second quarter.

5]"It's unacceptable; you can't do that," he recalled the coaches shouting. "You stop drives when you fumble the ball."

5]Herron vowed to spend this week working to prevent a reoccurrence in Cleveland as the Colts meet the Browns. For good reason. Herron just might be his team's starting running back there.

I think it's a guarantee that they will look for a RB in the offseason and that's fine for Herron.

They have Herron for rookie money and so he is by far the best value/$ RB asset they have...far outpacing TRich's Top 5 contract and ABradshaw's FA contract.

Herron's spot next year as a min 50% snap guy is nearing certainty, the question is who will he split carries with.

Whoever it is will not be a big $$$ 3-down guy. GMs are smart enough to know that there is no reason to waste big money when you have a cheap Herron that will capably take 50% of snaps for very little money.
I believe they still have Ballard under contract next year as well. It'll be interesting to see how he recovers from his Achilles injury.

I think his spot on the team is guaranteed and shown by your salary logic...as to whether he'll get min 50% of the carries, I think that depends on how this fumbleitis plays out. If he can get that under control in the last few games, I'd agree 100%...if not...there might be somebody new in the picture next year.

Recurring fumbles are like the plague...once you get a reputation of a fumbler, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as teams will try and strip the ball probably more than usual.

I think his spot on the team is guaranteed and shown by your salary logic...as to whether he'll get min 50% of the carries, I think that depends on how this fumbleitis plays out. If he can get that under control in the last few games, I'd agree 100%...if not...there might be somebody new in the picture next year.

Recurring fumbles are like the plague...once you get a reputation of a fumbler, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as teams will try and strip the ball probably more than usual.
I don't really think this is the case. If you watch an NFL game every time a player is tied up and or being hit players are always trying to rip balls away regardless of if you are a fumbler or not. I think there are some things you can do to fumble less but I don't buy that teams are looking for it. Defenders are always trying to create turn overs regardless of your reputation as a fumbler.

i think they continue to split touches no matter how bad T-Rich looks the ROS... so you have a nice floor for a flex play with rb2 potential each week going forward

He better quit fumbling or we will have to watch more of Richardson (for those of you calling him TRich, he hasn't earned a nickname).

Coach Chuck Pagano had praise for Dan Herron Sunday despite another lost fumble.

Although Herron has coughed up the ball twice in the last two weeks, the Colts know they can't go away from him. He had more yards on eight carries (88) Sunday than Trent Richardson has had in any of his 26 games as a Colt. "He's a talented, talented guy, and I think we've seen that out of him," Pagano said of Herron. "He's quick, he's fast to hit the hole and once he gets outside, he's got some long speed." Running circles around T-Rich, Herron will be a RB2 against the Browns even if though he'll lose roughly half the touches to Richardson.

He better quit fumbling or we will have to watch more of Richardson (for those of you calling him TRich, he hasn't earned a nickname).
Ha just realized you are my signature source. Keep grinding all them teams my man.
Glad I could provide support for your signature, but you didn't exactly choose a great one with the signature you're currently using. Actually many people here play in a lot more leagues than I do.

seemed like they did not want to run at all. the colts have done that several times this year. kind of dumb
Really dumb calling all those plays which resulted in long TD passes. An offensive coordinator should be fired for such incompetence.

seemed like they did not want to run at all. the colts have done that several times this year. kind of dumb
Really dumb calling all those plays which resulted in long TD passes. An offensive coordinator should be fired for such incompetence.
They have one of the best QBs in the league and one of the worst run games in the league. I can't believe how dumb they are for throwing the ball so much. Plus, all those points? Why do they need so many of them? They would have been fine with 21 less.

RB salaries on Colts 2015

Richardson: 3,184,062 (no dead money, CLE ate that)

Ballard: 660,000

Herron: RFA

Bradshaw: UFA

At what level would they have to tender Herron to avoid anyone sniffing around?

Can they extend and bypass the RFA process?

Why not spend Richardson's money on another back that might actually be able to run more than 3 consecutive yards

I don't even think they'd be in that bad of shape if they just went with Ballard, Bradshaw and Herron as their 3 backs next year. I guess that depends on what kind of contract Bradshaw is looking for though. He's a great RB, but he'd need to be on a contract that reflects the fact that he isn't going to be on the field for a whole season.

Why not spend Richardson's money on another back that might actually be able to run more than 3 consecutive yards
Didnt realize Herron was RFA.

Well, his qualifying offer is around $600k I believe. Another team would have to come in around $1.4mm I believe. So locking him in around $1mm might make sense for all....(if my numbers are right).

They were stupid for not running the ball. It's call ball control and throwing bombs and scoring fast is great in the regular season, but only an idiot thinks that is a winning formula in the playoffs

They were stupid for not running the ball. It's call ball control and throwing bombs and scoring fast is great in the regular season, but only an idiot thinks that is a winning formula in the playoffs
yeah scoring tds is definitely not a winning formula in the playoffs

They ran the ball 16 times between Herron and Richardson. That's actually not bad in a game with 49 plays. My guess is that if Herron got a least some of those TR carries that might generate a couple more carries at least just from increased yardage. That's the strange part. It's really an odd gameplan, it has the same effect yardage-wise as if they were lining up the backup fullback for a plunge behind center every other running play.

Reread againBrilliant, I love seeing newbies post like this cause they are the same people that thought Denver was winning the super bowl and probably are riding Green Bay ...lmao too easy

They ran the ball 16 times between Herron and Richardson. That's actually not bad in a game with 49 plays. My guess is that if Herron got a least some of those TR carries that might generate a couple more carries at least just from increased yardage. That's the strange part. It's really an odd gameplan, it has the same effect yardage-wise as if they were lining up the backup fullback for a plunge behind center every other running play.
In the context of this game is ok, can't believe they only had 49 plays. Their Qb is getting killed and it's only a matter of time before he breaks. They have a non existent running game and they will probably get creamed in the playoffs

Reread againBrilliant, I love seeing newbies post like this cause they are the same people that thought Denver was winning the super bowl and probably are riding Green Bay ...lmao too easy
I could see a Denver vs GB SB.

I meant Denver last season. This year denver has a legit defense and can run the ball. Green Bay can't play any defense and neither does Indy who can't even run the ball. A loser formula for the playoffs is what Indy does on offense - I would bet any legit defense against them in the playoffs.

I meant Denver last season. This year denver has a legit defense and can run the ball. Green Bay can't play any defense and neither does Indy who can't even run the ball. A loser formula for the playoffs is what Indy does on offense - I would bet any legit defense against them in the playoffs.
Indianapolis is 15th in rushing yards, 16th in ypc. Denver is 18th in rushing yards and 16th in ypc. Both have 8 rushing touchdowns.

Herron's played 2 games and been on the bench (and returning kicks) for another 11. There's absolutely no chance he's locked in at 50% of the carries for next year -- AT THIS POINT. None.

msommer said:

This screams for a back drafted in the 2nd or 3rd while spending FA $$ to improve the OL and D (perhaps including Trent's if they outright cut him and choose to save the $3MM).

hardcoredx said:
shadyridr said:
hardcoredx said:
LOL @ anybody calling anyone with an "14-April 03" join-up date a newbie. If somebody's been around since the old yellow boards (before your time), they probably at least know what a football is.

FWIW - to shadyridr's point, why would the Colts do anything other than what has gotten them an 8-4 record this year? They got there by throwing, so keep airing it out. Why would you suddenly switch to a ball control offense which clearly isn't your forte? Ball control offenses don't win in the playoffs necessarily. Admittedly ball control offenses PLUS stellar defenses may be more suited. If anything, you play ball control when you're playing against a high-powered offense, not when you ARE the high-powered offense. The Colts' defensive unit doesn't even resemble Seattle's from last year. They don't pretend to be something they aren't.

And for your analogy - Having a high-scoring offense doesn't mean you'll lose in the playoffs. There are plenty of teams who have won recently with high-flying offenses. The Colts, the Saints, the Packers, etc. The Denver analogy is flawed b/c they were never up on the Seahawks, so they didn't even have a chance to run if they wanted to.

Also, I'm a Skins fan AND a Herron fantasy owner - I WISH they would've switched to a running game because it would've kept Luck from dropping 5 TD's on us, and would've gotten Herron more points, but if I was their OC, I'd have done the same thing.

hardcoredx said:
shadyridr said:
hardcoredx said:
http://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/which-nfl-teams-make-and-win-in-the-playoffs/Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

The3 SB champs prior to SEA finished 23rd, 32nd, and 22nd in rushing YPG. Ill accept that apology now newb.

The3 SB champs prior to SEA finished 23rd, 32nd, and 22nd in rushing YPG. Ill accept that apology now newb.
The newb's post was insane, but regular season numbers don't always tell the picture. Off the top of my head I thought that the Giants found their running attack in the playoffs in 2012, and didn't Starks have a really good post season for the Packers? Or am I imagining that stuff?

hardcoredx said:
shadyridr said:
hardcoredx said:
http://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/which-nfl-teams-make-and-win-in-the-playoffs/Dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Don't care about that fluff piece by whoever the hell that is. The fact you take an article that claims "rushing hardly matters" is laughable. Also, I don't care what their regualr season rankings are- what matters is what they are trending and how strong their defense is. Anyone with half a brain knows Indy will not make it to the SB.

Don't care about that fluff piece by whoever the hell that is. The fact you take an article that claims "rushing hardly matters" is laughable. Also, I don't care what their regualr season rankings are- what matters is what they are trending and how strong their defense is. Anyone with half a brain knows Indy will not make it to the SB.
So...do you think that the regular season rankings don't take into account how they are trending and how strong their defense is?

The bolded statement is certainly sig-worthy if they do indeed make it. It's very easy to pick the field vs. any team...who do you actually think WILL make the SB?

"Aside from concerning fumbles"..... there is no "Aside" from concerning fumbles. Fumble the rock, and we will find a nice cold spot on the bench for you, maybe you can help on kickoff coverage.
Nice run, but terrible time to fumble, as it is time to win and prepare for playoffs. Yes, winning get's you to the playoffs, but it's high time for Andrew to lead this team to get a "sniff". And fumbles, lead to early exits from the playoffs. Let's hope, we don't see another one.

So where we at with Herron? Confidently starting or desperation play over crap options? I picked him up a couple weeks ago, been terrified to start him. Must win stakes on the table and currently have him in 2 lineups. I'm starting over Mathews and Hill.

:scared:

Rolling with "Boom" this week as Jennings and Ellington are banged up. Hoping for RB2 numbers. My only concern is Indy trying to feature Richardson against my Brownies in a revenge game...

Rolling with "Boom" this week as Jennings and Ellington are banged up. Hoping for RB2 numbers. My only concern is Indy trying to feature Richardson against my Brownies in a revenge game...
I wouldn't worry about that. I think the Colts will actually try to win this one.

I wouldn't worry about that. I think the Colts will actually try to win this one.
me to had GIO/Ellington in one league and im gonna roll with Gio and Herron, actually just picked him up, surprised he was on waiver wire and I was desperate. He is on a team in all my other 10 dynasty leagues. Go figure.

So where we at with Herron? Confidently starting or desperation play over crap options? I picked him up a couple weeks ago, been terrified to start him. Must win stakes on the table and currently have him in 2 lineups. I'm starting over Mathews and Hill.

:scared:
wow that is risky, Im starting him over Latavius Murray and Mcfadden, so im not in the same position as you. Hill would be hard to sit for Herron unless he gets 15 touches which who knows if he will.

Users who are viewing this thread