What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dan Patrick: NFL to add a Wildcard in each conference 2015 (2 Viewers)

fantasy stud said:
Just my uneducated, humble opinion. Not claiming its fact.
Actually you are. If it's your opinion, you say things like "I think..." os "In my opinion...". When you use a sentence that states something "is" something, there's nothing to suggest that you're stating an opinion.
This is a forum based on opinions. If you dont know it is an opinion, that's on you, not him.

And I definitely THINK that fantasy football has improved ratings. Ah, forget think, I will just call it a fact. Why not. It is.

Its not the ONLY reason, but it's a big one.
Weird, I didn't know that when people posted stats and facts and such that they were just opinions.

We use both here. Hope that helps.
Fortunately, I understand the difference when people post stats and when they just say things.

I said BASED on opinions. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
fantasy stud said:
Just my uneducated, humble opinion. Not claiming its fact.
Actually you are. If it's your opinion, you say things like "I think..." os "In my opinion...". When you use a sentence that states something "is" something, there's nothing to suggest that you're stating an opinion.
This is a forum based on opinions. If you dont know it is an opinion, that's on you, not him.

And I definitely THINK that fantasy football has improved ratings. Ah, forget think, I will just call it a fact. Why not. It is.

Its not the ONLY reason, but it's a big one.
Weird, I didn't know that when people posted stats and facts and such that they were just opinions.

We use both here. Hope that helps.
Fortunately, I understand the difference when people post stats and when they just say things.

I said BASED on opinions. Hope that helps.
When someone states something as a fact, it is not to be expected that they are giving an opinion. There is nothing in his post that would suggest he was giving an opinion. There are ways to express that you are giving an opinion. Saying something "is", is not giving an opinion. That way people don't need to try and figure it out.

So was Pete Rozelle "ruining the league" when he added the two wild cards in the first place? When he expanded the number of teams to 32 and the schedule from 14 to 16 games? Would you prefer 26 teams, no wild cards, and a 14-game schedule? Why not?

Just one more way of ruining the league to make a buck.
I keep hearing this ruining the league thing...yet they had record viewership for wildcard weekend.
Yet..... the game is being...watered down more every year...reffing this season...is worse than ever...absurd penalties crop...up every year...and offensive records...get...demolished regularly...more games and likely a SB...going overseas...owners making more...money doesn't...mean the ga...me is not...being ruined.
You keep trying Sweeney...keep trying.
He's right.
Talking about his attempt to mock my use of "..." by completely overdoing it.

And the game is not being ruined...at least not to a majority of people out there as the numbers continue to prove.
You're completely overdoing it 99% of the time you do it. Additionally, I didn't "attempt" to mock you.
Yeah, you did attempt it.

And it failed miserably when it had to be explained and came off as you been pretty toolish (as usual with you).

Now...run along.

Just one more way of ruining the league to make a buck.
I keep hearing this ruining the league thing...yet they had record viewership for wildcard weekend.
Yet..... the game is being...watered down more every year...reffing this season...is worse than ever...absurd penalties crop...up every year...and offensive records...get...demolished regularly...more games and likely a SB...going overseas...owners making more...money doesn't...mean the ga...me is not...being ruined.
You keep trying Sweeney...keep trying.
He's right.
Talking about his attempt to mock my use of "..." by completely overdoing it.

And the game is not being ruined...at least not to a majority of people out there as the numbers continue to prove.
You're completely overdoing it 99% of the time you do it. Additionally, I didn't "attempt" to mock you.
Yeah, you did attempt it.

And it failed miserably when it had to be explained and came off as you been pretty toolish (as usual with you).

Now...run along.
:lmao: ...... :lmao: ........ :lmao:

The first person that responded to it (you) got it. I'd say that's a win since that was my target.

eta: just because a few dim bulbs didn't immediately see the mockery doesn't mean that it failed, they weren't the target. Eagerly awaiting the forthcoming response of how you knew it was for you but had to respond anyways.

So was Pete Rozelle "ruining the league" when he added the two wild cards in the first place? When he expanded the number of teams to 32 and the schedule from 14 to 16 games? Would you prefer 26 teams, no wild cards, and a 14-game schedule? Why not?
Is the addition of one more wildcard game the only thing people are talking about when they say that? Or is it one more thing in a litany of actions that Goodell has taken which have negatively impacted the game? that has people talking like this?

YES>!!!!11

Is the addition of one more wildcard game the only thing people are talking about when they say that? Or is it one more thing in a litany of actions that Goodell has taken which have negatively impacted the game? that has people talking like this?
I think people are mostly getting stuck in what they're used to and making broad statements about how the game is being ruined because change is hard. I don't see much objective evidence that the game is being ruined.

I think people are mostly getting stuck in what they're used to and making broad statements about how the game is being ruined because change is hard. I don't see much objective evidence that the game is being ruined.
I think people are talking about specific things under the Goodell era, which is why your Arielle question wasn't very apt.

I don't like expanding the playoffs to include more teams but the one rule change I would like to see is to have the seedings based on record vs division winners.

I think people are talking about specific things under the Goodell era, which is why your Arielle question wasn't very apt.
I think people are failing to realize that the NFL has always been in flux, and the way it was in 1986, or whenever they think it was perfect, doesn't mean that it's being ruined.

I don't have an issue with adding another Wildcard team to each conference. It was going to happen at some point ayway.

The biggest hangups I am having with todays NFL is the insane reaction to the hundreds of IMO bogus lawsuits by former players claiming ignorance about head injuries when they had been playing football that way since they were just out of diapers. Cry me a river. It's unfortunate that many former players are suffering from post concussion syndrome.....but what do you expect when your raming your helmet (head) into 200-350 pound plus barbarians for 7-15 years of your adult life?

Now we have the game being taken down on the field with ridiculous roughing penalties and guys now going for nothing but below the waste in fear of fines. Careers are going to shorented even more going forward. Ask 100 NFL player where they rather be hit....they will tell you above the waste. They can't make their money without their legs. The amount of BS calls I have seen this year on good, hard, clean football tackles has been astounding. And in the NCAA the targeting penalty has me rolling over in dismay. WTF do you think they are doing....of course they are targeting.....they want to destroy the ball carrier!!! That is what playing great defense is about....seperate the guy from the ball.....really?

Off the field the sheer amount of noise in the form of endless commercials has single handedly destroyed the TV viewing experience of watching footbal on Sundays. TD commercial, kickoff, commercial, change of possession, commercial. It is insane today. And the commercials are nothing but dreck. I tune them out (thank you Red ZONE!!!!! but they will soon find a way to #### that up too....mark it down now).

Replay. Has runied the viewing experience and spirit of the game played on the field and not on HD cameras. Everything freaking score, turnover....it's all reviewed. Why even have officials anymore. It is crazy. No drama, no judgement. It is a black and white sport now and that IMO sucks. I loved controversial calls, talking about them for years to come over a brew.....the human element is being taken out more and more and more.

I like replay in it's simplest early form. Two challenges max per half......that's it. No booth upstairs, no replay after every score and turnover......the coaches get the right to challenge two plays per half.

Period.

Keeps the flow of the game going, the excitiement of a big score or turnover without any doubt. I can't tell you how much the wind comes out of a crowd in todays NFL after every score, turnover.....it's like...well it may be overturned.....it's nuts. I think it really sucks as a viewer bigtime.

So those are my well documented hangups with todays NFL. And because of all this garbage the NFL has slid down to my 4th favorite sport now.

1) MLB

2) NBA

3) NCAA Football/ NHL Post Season (tie)

4) NFL

5) NHL

It was number 2 easily for my entire life. Unitl the last 3 years. It has death spiraled. It does not mean much anymore. Sundays are not as sacred as they used to be. Even with FF (which honestly has lost a lot of it's luster as well) the NFL has sunk down for me. I don't care if I miss games anymore.....big deal. Meantime I watch almost every Miami Heat game (been doing that since 1988) and absolutely love watching the kids play on Saturday. Every Saturday you can find incredible games.....not so much in the NFL (post season is still great except the BS Super Bowl).

Ok....nuff said.

CalBear said:
mad sweeney said:
CalBear said:
mad sweeney said:
I think people are failing to realize that the NFL has always been in flux, and the way it was in 1986, or whenever they think it was perfect, doesn't mean that it's being ruined.
Congrats, you still haven't been able to actually tie your comments/observations to anything that's been said.

14 wouldn't bother me but if it ever gets like the NBA that would turn me away from the game.

The biggest problem with the league today is the huge offensive advantage in the passing game. I almost want to put an asterisk on Peyton's stats this year. Baseball came down on PEDs and an entire era of hitting was invalidated. The NFL is creating the same situation in their game with the rules.

14 wouldn't bother me but if it ever gets like the NBA that would turn me away from the game.

The biggest problem with the league today is the huge offensive advantage in the passing game. I almost want to put an asterisk on Peyton's stats this year. Baseball came down on PEDs and an entire era of hitting was invalidated. The NFL is creating the same situation in their game with the rules.
I have a bigger problem with how they change the way they call games in the post season. It is an entirely different game with all of the no calls compared to what is played during the regular season.

I doubt the NFL rules will change back to the defensive favor. When was the last time a sports league made major rule changes that helped the defense?

Congrats, you still haven't been able to actually tie your comments/observations to anything that's been said.
People were apparently fine with Rozelle moving the league from 14 to 16 games, but not with Goodell (thinking about) moving the league from 16 to 18 games. What's the difference?

Paging Dentist...
I cannot wait until a 7-9 team wins the ####### superbowl and then we're supposed to think that that was the best team of the year.

#### that.

I was rooting for Green Bay all the way this year because of how horrible it would have been to have an 8-7-1 team win teh superbowl when they shouldn't have even been in teh ### #### playoffs.

We've already had an unqualified 9-7 team win a superbowl and another one all BUT win a superbowl in the past 8 years... What do you want NFL? Complete irrelevance?

You wanna be more like baseball where any crap team can get a wild card slot, win a stupid one-off, win another stupid 5 game series that completely sticks a middle finger to the 162 ####### game regular season and then get on a heater and win a series?

It's to the point now where I'm only in this thing for the FFL and i couldn't care less about who win the "january" tournament of pretty good teams... once week 16 is over the NFL can kiss my ### and now they're going to dilute it further... hell, why not cancel just cancel the regular season and have a 32 team tournament... that'd be fun, no?

Why would i even want to watch or attend a meaningless regular season game ever again except for FFL

the NFL is bastardizing itself like college hoops.... Let's just let a CRAPLOAD of teams in the tournament that have no business winning it and it'll make headlines when a big team falls to some crap team from nowhere because they're 5'10 white guy when 10/10 behind the arc instead of having a 16 team tournament of best of 3's that would actually yield better teams winning more often....

College Football and the NBA were the last organizations that did things right as far as ensuring only elite teams could win titles.. and college football is taking one step closer to getting crap champions with this stupid playoff.

Decisions like this (and the fact that the games run too damn long these days) are why rational adults quit caring about sports as they age..

If you don't give division winners a higher seed, then get rid of divisions.
Divisions have been stupid for a long time.

Should be 2 16 team conferences... you play everyone in the conference once and one team from the opposing conference each year.

Top 2 teams from each conference get to make the playoffs and then you play best of 3's until it is decided.

DONE

Paging Dentist...
I cannot wait until a 7-9 team wins the ####### superbowl and then we're supposed to think that that was the best team of the year.

#### that.

I was rooting for Green Bay all the way this year because of how horrible it would have been to have an 8-7-1 team win teh superbowl when they shouldn't have even been in teh ### #### playoffs.

We've already had an unqualified 9-7 team win a superbowl and another one all BUT win a superbowl in the past 8 years... What do you want NFL? Complete irrelevance?

You wanna be more like baseball NFL where any crap team can get a wild card slot, win a stupid one-off, win another stupid 5 game series that completely sticks a middle finger to the 162 ####### game regular season and then get on a heater and win a series?

It's to the point now where I'm only in this thing for the FFL and i couldn't care less about who win the "january" tournament of pretty good teams... once week 16 is over the NFL can kiss my ### and now they're going to dilute it further... hell, why not cancel just cancel the regular season and have a 32 team tournament... that'd be fun, no?

Why would i even want to watch or attend a meaningless regular season game ever again except for FFL

the NFL is bastardizing itself like college hoops.... Let's just let a CRAPLOAD of teams in the tournament that have no business winning it and it'll make headlines when a big team falls to some crap team from nowhere because they're 5'10 white guy when 10/10 behind the arc instead of having a 16 team tournament of best of 3's that would actually yield better teams winning more often....

College Football and the NBA were the last organizations that did things right as far as ensuring only elite teams could win titles.. and college football is taking one step closer to getting crap champions with this stupid playoff.

Decisions like this (and the fact that the games run too damn long these days) are why rational adults quit caring about sports as they age..
:tebow: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :goodposting:

People were apparently fine with Rozelle moving the league from 14 to 16 games, but not with Goodell (thinking about) moving the league from 16 to 18 games. What's the difference?
What part of "there is more than just this idea that makes people say Goodell is ruining the game" is hard to understand? It's cumulative. If you want to debate that particular issue, go ahead. Most players don't seem to be thrilled about it though

What part of "there is more than just this idea that makes people say Goodell is ruining the game" is hard to understand? It's cumulative. If you want to debate that particular issue, go ahead. Most players don't seem to be thrilled about it though
Well, to be on-topic, why was it OK for Rozelle to add two wild card teams per conference but not for Goodell to add one?

The biggest problem with the league today is the huge offensive advantage in the passing game. I almost want to put an asterisk on Peyton's stats this year. .
Despite the fact that the Broncos' passing numbers this year were the most impressive relative to the rest of the league in that given season for any season in NFL history? (at least, according to Chase: http://www.footballperspective.com/more-impressive-passing-td-record-manning-2013-or-marino-1984/)

Well, to be on-topic, why was it OK for Rozelle to add two wild card teams per conference but not for Goodell to add one?
Cumulative effects.

Cumulative effects.
Rozelle added a wild card when the leagues merged and had 26 teams. Then he added another wild card after the league had expanded to 28 teams. Now we're at 32.

And again, what evidence do you have that it's a problem?

How many teams does it take to be truly a playoff. Just because it will be 1-and-done does not make it a playoff. Might as well have the whole season be one big playoff. Keep the season at 21-weeks long and work it out.

Week 21 = Super Bowl

Week 20 = Final 4

Week 19 = Final 8

Week 18 = Final 16

Week 17 = Final 32

Week 16 = Bye Week (each week prior to this is for seeding purposes. Best record plays worst team and so on... seeds #1 - #32)

Week 1 - 15 play for seeding.

Before anyone says this is dumb... the losers from week 17 go into the "Loser's Bracket". Win this bracket and get a better draft pick. Each team plays a minimum of 17 games and many other teams play more. Win-Win for the league.

Cumulative effects.
Rozelle added a wild card when the leagues merged and had 26 teams. Then he added another wild card after the league had expanded to 28 teams. Now we're at 32.

And again, what evidence do you have that it's a problem?
This thread for starters.

How many teams does it take to be truly a playoff. Just because it will be 1-and-done does not make it a playoff. Might as well have the whole season be one big playoff. Keep the season at 21-weeks long and work it out.

Week 21 = Super Bowl

Week 20 = Final 4

Week 19 = Final 8

Week 18 = Final 16

Week 17 = Final 32

Week 16 = Bye Week (each week prior to this is for seeding purposes. Best record plays worst team and so on... seeds #1 - #32)

Week 1 - 15 play for seeding.

Before anyone says this is dumb... the losers from week 17 go into the "Loser's Bracket". Win this bracket and get a better draft pick. Each team plays a minimum of 17 games and many other teams play more. Win-Win for the league.
Ok, I waited til the end to say "This is absurdly dumb".

If it takes out the week off between championship Sunday and the Super Bowl then I'm all for it. But knowing these buffoons they'll be playing until March.

how about we just vote on a winner... or pick one out of a hat?

How are we going to feel when an 8-8 team wins the superbowl... doesn't that tarnish the entire trophy? why does the NFL want to take an even bigger dump on the Lombardi trophy than they already have?

At what point does the tide turn from them generating more revenue to just pissing so many people off that they quit watching?

I wouldn't mind expanding the playoffs if there were more teams...

8-8 teams in the playoffs is just wrong, and this would make it worse...

How are we going to feel when an 8-8 team wins the superbowl... doesn't that tarnish the entire trophy? why does the NFL want to take an even bigger dump on the Lombardi trophy than they already have?

At what point does the tide turn from them generating more revenue to just pissing so many people off that they quit watching?
Apparently not yet and I would like you to predict when it will happen. Until then, why should they not make changes that they think will generate more revenue.

As if there is some magic balance that the NFL achieved and held for centuries and is now ruining. People complained about the AFL, I'm sure, and then 7 years later, there was a Super Bowl and it has become the biggest event in the world. Changes have occurred incrementally, with some positives and some negatives, and now the game is the most popular in this country by far. Some people will always complain, but let's try to keep a little perspective.

Is San Diego better than Cincinnati? Certainly a case could be made either way, but it seems like San Diego is better. Should they not be in?

Let's go back the last few years and see how the 7th seed would have finished in the regular season:

2013:

AFC - Steelers 8-8

NFC - Cardinals 10-6

2012:

AFC - Steelers 8-8

NFC: Bears 10-6

2011:

AFC - Titans 9-7

NFC - Bears 8-8

2010:

AFC - Chargers 9-7

NFC - Giants 10-6

2009:

AFC - Texans 9-7

NFC - Falcons 9-7

Let's go back the last few years and see how the 7th seed would have finished in the regular season:

2013:

AFC - Steelers 8-8

NFC - Cardinals 10-6

2012:

AFC - Steelers 8-8

NFC: Bears 10-6

2011:

AFC - Titans 9-7

NFC - Bears 8-8

2010:

AFC - Chargers 9-7

NFC - Giants 10-6

2009:

AFC - Texans 9-7

NFC - Falcons 9-7
OUTRAGEOUS!

Who deserved to win the Super Bowl in 2010?

LOL Deadspin just posted this on their Facebook wall and Id say, based on the comments, 100% of fans are vehemently opposed to this.

Sounds just fine to me, and I like the added teams/proposed changes.

Not going to make everyone happy whatever you do, but many will like it!

Rove! said:

Maybe they should make the number of playoff teams dynamic. Maximum of eight each conference, but no teams 8-8 or worse. This would mean some years no teams get byes, and maybe sometimes three teams get byes...

Long Ball Larry said:
Dentist said:

Apparently not yet and I would like you to predict when it will happen. Until then, why should they not make changes that they think will generate more revenue.

As if there is some magic balance that the NFL achieved and held for centuries and is now ruining. People complained about the AFL, I'm sure, and then 7 years later, there was a Super Bowl and it has become the biggest event in the world. Changes have occurred incrementally, with some positives and some negatives, and now the game is the most popular in this country by far. Some people will always complain, but let's try to keep a little perspective.
Oh, I'm sure if I owned a team or was somehow had a stake in how the NFL made money that I would be all for it as it would generate profits in the short term.

At some point though when you reach just a little too far down people's pocketbooks you hack them off and then it's pretty hard to get them back.

I no longer respect the MLB playoffs.. it's an October tournament where the hottest team at the time wins.

I pretty much don't respect the NFL playoffs anymore either and moves like this are aimed at making things worse.

Because other than revenue generation, why would they add a 7th team.. do they really feel like the 7th best team in the conference is a team that deserves to have a shot at the title?

Sometimes it's in the best interest of a company to keep shearing their customers a little at a time like the casinos do instead of going for broke and flat out raping them.

If you were designing a playoff format designed to do what a playoff format should do (determine who is the greatest team) then it would not be the way the NFL designs it. They would not have all the stupid divisions, they would not accept so many teams into the playoffs, and they would adopt a best of 3 format.

Just as the NCAA tournament doesn't give a flying #### about determing who the best team is... look at the ridiculousness of adding more and more teams into the tournament. If a team doesn't have a reasonable shot of winning the title they shouldn't be included IMO. And taking 16 teams and playing best of 3's until the title was decided would be a much better choice as far as competition was concerned.

So Dentist, you must love this 4 team college playoff coming next year. All of those only 4 title worthy teams...you know, of the 8-10 teams that will finish with zero or one losses.

So Dentist, you must love this 4 team college playoff coming next year. All of those only 4 title worthy teams...you know, of the 8-10 teams that will finish with zero or one losses.
No, i liked it when 2 voted upon teams made it.

It ensured that a top 2 team would win the title.. and I trust the voters who see and watch the games to know who's better than some stupid one-off game where a few ref calls or bad bounces can decide the outcome.

It would be the equivalent of me vs. Johnny ####### Chan in poker heads up. I could EASILY beat him in one hand.. in fact I might even beat him 3-4 of the first hands in a row.. but over 1000 hands he'd rape me.. HARD.

This is why the regular season and all the football we have seen and witnessed have more value to me than one stupid game... one game tells me very little unless it's a complete and total blowout... then i might.. MIGHT learn something.

If the 4 team playoff was best of 3's, I'd mostly respect it.

Users who are viewing this thread