What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darren McFadden 2014 free agent (1 Viewer)

Blackjacks

Footballguy
He is available as a free agent in my favorite league and just wanted some opinions from everyone on where you all think he lands up and what kind of production we can expect out of him.

I think the NYJ and Cle are the 2 most likely destinations and both places he could be productive.

I also think New Orleans, Tenn and Jax are possibilities.

I would love to see him in New Orleans (IF, he could stay healthy)

He is still young and has the talent. I just think a new location is perhaps what he needs.

Feedback appreciated.

Actually not sure how much talent is left there to be honest. He's been awful (when healthy) the last couple of years.

He is available as a free agent in my favorite league and just wanted some opinions from everyone on where you all think he lands up and what kind of production we can expect out of him.

I think the NYJ and Cle are the 2 most likely destinations and both places he could be productive.

He is still young and has the talent. I just think a new location lower body is perhaps what he needs.

Feedback appreciated.
Fixed

3rd stringer in Dallas. Works for peanuts and should be happy Jerry Jones is an Ark. U alum sucker.

3rd stringer in Dallas. Works for peanuts and should be happy Jerry Jones is an Ark. U alum sucker.
He's drafted one. Ever.
And I can only recall one other even being on the team and that was Stoerner, but I'd concede I might be forgetting a back end roster guy or two.

This notion Jerry likes to draft/sign ex-Hogs is one of the most ill informed popular opinions I've seen floated around the last few years.

Just my thoughts but I think he wants to go to a winner and might play through some of the minor injuries more if he is in a better situation.

New Orleans, for some reason, seems like a great place for him.

Ingram is a fa (and has not been what they expected) P Thomas and Sproles are getting near the end.

DMac, if healthy, is all three of those guys put into 1.

Just my thoughts

He can be a high end player when healthy. He's been on bad offenses for years and has still put up nice per game yardage, catches, and TDs. He'd have put up better numbers than Moreno had he been starting in Denver.

He can be a high end player when healthy. He's been on bad offenses for years and has still put up nice per game yardage, catches, and TDs. He'd have put up better numbers than Moreno had he been starting in Denver.
I highly doubt that. He's not the same guy, and hasn't been since 2011. It's like he's running in mud. He was the third best RB on his own team, and #2 was a fullback.

Actually not sure how much talent is left there to be honest. He's been awful (when healthy) the last couple of years.
Awful when healthy? dude posted a 39 point game! he puts up a solid 10-13 points a week when healthy. When he has the full load, or majority... he will produce.

I would welcome him in Cleveland. The job is wide open to someone who wants a 1000 + rushing yard season, beating out the others... Baker, ehh? McGahee, getting old. Ogbonaya is good (Charles Clay/FB type player) Clevelands O-line needs a little work, I DO feel the Browns need to have a franchise QB to even have the slightest chance to compete. Defense is there once they get someone on the other side of Haden. The offense just needs to come through.

I hope DMC goes to NY Jets, Cleveland, or stays in Oakland.

Good luck to all you DMac optimists. You may also want to consider a run at Kenny Britt and Michael Vick. Using the same when he is healthy logic should pay huge dividends!!

:towelwave:

New Orleans is the best place for him but the worst in terms of fantasy value. There he'll be a 5-10 carry back, taking third seat to Sproles and Thomas. But he'll probably stay healthy (ha!) and maybe eventually earn himself a ring.

Fantasy-wise, I'd love to see him end up in Carolina after they cut Stewart for $$ reasons. With that line and passing threat, he could rack up some serious numbers even in a RBBC.

Yes, I own him in a dynasty league. Drafted him in the 12th round though, so I'm not as bitter as most.

Last edited by a moderator:
NE will probably sign him and he'll become the star everyone thought he'd be when he was drafted.

Just my thoughts but I think he wants to go to a winner and might play through some of the minor injuries more if he is in a better situation.

New Orleans, for some reason, seems like a great place for him.

Ingram is a fa (and has not been what they expected) P Thomas and Sproles are getting near the end.

DMac, if healthy, is all three of those guys put into 1.

Just my thoughts
Ingram is not a free agent until 2015, and I disagree that NO would be great for him. Even if all 3 of those guys fell off the face of the earth, it seems likely that they bring in others to maintain their RBBC, and they don't run the ball all that much to begin with.

BWill said:
Awful when healthy? dude posted a 39 point game! he puts up a solid 10-13 points a week when healthy. When he has the full load, or majority... he will produce.
Sorry to break it to you, but McFadden has flat out sucked the last two years man. He's below 3.3 YPC during that time and his yards / catch has fallen off to 6.2 also. His longest run was 30 yards this year and he hasn't had a reception over 20 yards since 2011. Every single RB on the Raiders' roster thoroughly outplayed McFadden in 2013 -- and they're pretty much all journeyman backup types.If McFadden can somehow recapture the form he showed in 2010 and 2011, then yeah, sure he'll be great when he's on the field. But if the guy from 2012 - 2013 shows up, no team is going to give him a full workload. His play the last two years has been waaaaay below scrub replacement level. It's pretty likely that he signs a short term "prove it" deal somewhere going into 2014, and if he doesn't step it up, that will be the last deal he sees in the NFL. You can find more reliable crappy production in the late rounds for less money. Hell, even off of the street for that matter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayrok said:
NE will probably sign him and he'll become the star everyone thought he'd be when he was drafted.
That's about the truth of it too.

He could help a team. He's not ever going to be a guy you can build around but he can help in situations, such as pass and change of pace.

Teams like Washington, San Francisco, Giants, and possibly Carolina could use a pass catching back. If he's looking for big money I would not pay it but if the price was right, he could help.

BWill said:
. His longest run was 30 yards this year and he hasn't had a reception over 20 yards since 2011.
On the other hand he was only healthy for a few games to start the season and one of those games he had 4 runs over 20 yards. You know who else had a game this year with 4 20+ yard runs? No one, that's who.

BWill said:
. His longest run was 30 yards this year and he hasn't had a reception over 20 yards since 2011.
On the other hand he was only healthy for a few games to start the season and one of those games he had 4 runs over 20 yards. You know who else had a game this year with 4 20+ yard runs? No one, that's who.
Sounds about right.

I see McFadden as little more than COP at this point. He can handle the load for a couple of games, but he's a breakdown waiting to happen. As a vet, I expect his blitz pick-up is probably good enought (though can't say that I've seen him enough in that capacity) that he'd make a potent third down back and maybe carve out some FF relevance in a Woodhead type role, but that's his top range.

He is still young and has the talent. I just think a new location is perhaps what he needs.

Feedback appreciated.
There is a reason he is a free agent in your favorite league, and in the NFL. Actually, there may be many reasons.

I will give you a serious response

6 seasons, 2 of which had above 200 carries. That screams out to all of us, part time guy. but he has flashed sporadically

883​
3,713​
4.2​
23​
175​
883 Carries

3700 Yards

4.2 AVG

23 tds

175 catches

Us dynasty guys are always looking for a bargain. He's 27 in August, and has low tread/usage.

Isaac Bruce had hammy issues, and finally got past those in his career. Whose to say DMC goes to a new team, and they address the issue(Miraculously)

Anyhow, he's a perfect buy low candidate, but you may have to buy him before he signs with a new team....otherwise that may spark some optimisim and his owners asking price.

Seriously-you should be able to snag him witha second rounder?

BWill said:
Sounds about right.

I see McFadden as little more than COP at this point. He can handle the load for a couple of games, but he's a breakdown waiting to happen. As a vet, I expect his blitz pick-up is probably good enought (though can't say that I've seen him enough in that capacity) that he'd make a potent third down back and maybe carve out some FF relevance in a Woodhead type role, but that's his top range.
No one is debating his injury history. But because you've been hurt in the past does not insure you will be hurt in the future. Opposite is also true. We are talking about a guy who has never had a major surgery and played several seasons of big time college football without missing a game. He's established himself as a massive injury risk/red flag but none of that means it's going to happen, just means he should be downgraded for the potential risk he's earned.

His ceiling is not Woodhead.

BWill said:
Sounds about right.

No one is debating his injury history. But because you've been hurt in the past does not insure you will be hurt in the future. Opposite is also true. We are talking about a guy who has never had a major surgery and played several seasons of big time college football without missing a game. He's established himself as a massive injury risk/red flag but none of that means it's going to happen, just means he should be downgraded for the potential risk he's earned.

We're talking about a guy who hasn't been relevant in 2.5 years outside of a couple of games. Not only largely irrelevent from a FF perspective, his on-field performance has been awful. What his injury risk means is that no team is going to bring him in to be the kind a feature back. They'll bring him in to be a secondary back who can be a starter for a brief period if the primary back gets hurt. Maybe if a guy misses time for a few seasons you can rely on semantics about what insures what. But after six straight seasons with time missed to injury, you'd be crazy to think he won't miss time again, especially if he's given anything like a feature workload.

BWill said:
Sounds about right.

Fred Taylor (AKA Fragile Freddie) couldn't stay healthy for an entire season, until all of a sudden he could. With his track record I sure wouldn't bet that DMC won't miss any games due to injury, but there is a precedent that the injury prone label can be shed.

And going back to the stat of no receptions over 20 yards since 2011 - for what it is worth, in one of the early games this year he had a 40+ yard reception that went for a TD that was called back due to a penalty on the other side of the field that was unrelated to the play. I think it is premature to conclude that he doesn't have it anymore (not saying that he does, but I haven't seen enough to draw a conclusion either way).

BWill said:
Sounds about right.

We're talking about a guy who hasn't been relevant in 2.5 years outside of a couple of games. Not only largely irrelevent from a FF perspective, his on-field performance has been awful. What his injury risk means is that no team is going to bring him in to be the kind a feature back. They'll bring him in to be a secondary back who can be a starter for a brief period if the primary back gets hurt. Maybe if a guy misses time for a few seasons you can rely on semantics about what insures what. But after six straight seasons with time missed to injury, you'd be crazy to think he won't miss time again, especially if he's given anything like a feature workload.
2.5 years cutoff is convenient so you could leave out the part that before he got hurt that season he was the #1 RB in fantasy football.

I don't think he will be going to a team as a secondary back and on the flip side he won't he likely won't be handed a starting job either. He'll be going someplace he'll have a chance to compete to start or have a big role. He'll get to compete and he'll face competition.

His past injuries are not indicative of future injuries. Anymore than Ray Rice not missing a game his whole career was an indicator he'd play healthy all 16 games this season. Makes him more of a risk, nothing more. Nothing is guaranteed in terms of missed games and nothing in his history suggests his injuries were the result of to much of a workload. Did Reggie Bush start getting hurt more when he left NO and his workload increased? He's not had a major surgery. Does not have bad knees, a bad back, concussion history, etc, etc. The hamstrings are a major concern but again not so sure that's a big workload related injury.

He carries a lot of risk and not sure who is debating that. The difference in opinion regarding him is if his upside is worth the risk, especially if you get him at a "buy low" cost. I think it is, you and some others think it's not.

My biggest reason for optimism is we've seen he's not a back for all systems and we know he's played his entire career on a terrible offense. FA is going to allow him to find a more natural fit for his skills and chances of him going to a team with as bad as a supporting cast as he's played with is about 1/32 the way I see it.

If 2010 - 2011 McFadden shows up, then it doesn't really matter what role the team that signed him had in mind -- he'll get all the work he can handle.

On the other side of the coin, if 2012 - 2013 McFadden shows up, it also won't matter -- and he won't get extensive touches.

I view him as a rich man's Kenny Britt at RB (without to dumb) clearly he had true difference making talent at one point -- but 2011 is a looooong time ago at this point.

menobrown said:
He carries a lot of risk and not sure who is debating that. The difference in opinion regarding him is if his upside is worth the risk, especially if you get him at a "buy low" cost. I think it is, you and some others think it's not.My biggest reason for optimism is we've seen he's not a back for all systems and we know he's played his entire career on a terrible offense. FA is going to allow him to find a more natural fit for his skills and chances of him going to a team with as bad as a supporting cast as he's played with is about 1/32 the way I see it.
This is kind of how I feel about him. He's only graced my rosters maybe once or twice in his career, but he's obviously got upside and he's not old, so if the price is right then I'll buy. But situation is critical. For example, if he goes to the Browns, he'll be right back off my radar.

He's a guy whose ADP I'll be very curious about.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot on a guy like this if he's free or nearly free, but that's it. His career arc sure looks like that of his Arkasas counterpart Felix Jones. Talent shining through early on, but totally derailed by injuries, and in the end lost what made him special.

Sometimes when guys with special burst lose that burst they don't seem to have anything to fall back on.

I would love to see him as a Bengal, a compliment back to Gio. Only thing is I wouldn't want to spend big bucks on him since im sure he will be injured at some point this coming year.

What about the Rams looking at him? (STL homer). He would be a nice compliment to Stacy, good in third downs, blitz pick up and catching the ball and now too much pressure to carry the load but could if Stacy's concussion problems continue. The Rams need game breaking ability and that is something he does offer. He could be what the Rams wanted in Pead which obviously hasn't worked out.

The Rams have a lot of money to spend in free agency and need more explosiveness in the offense.

Thoughts?

What about the Rams looking at him? (STL homer). He would be a nice compliment to Stacy, good in third downs, blitz pick up and catching the ball and now too much pressure to carry the load but could if Stacy's concussion problems continue. The Rams need game breaking ability and that is something he does offer. He could be what the Rams wanted in Pead which obviously hasn't worked out.

The Rams have a lot of money to spend in free agency and need more explosiveness in the offense.

Thoughts?
I don't know the Rams FA situation or anything. But if I were them I would be satisfied going into next season with Stacy and Cunningham. They seem to be similar backs to DMC. I would want them to spend their extra cash at different positions.

Sounds about right. I see McFadden as little more than COP at this point. He can handle the load for a couple of games, but he's a breakdown waiting to happen. As a vet, I expect his blitz pick-up is probably good enought (though can't say that I've seen him enough in that capacity) that he'd make a potent third down back and maybe carve out some FF relevance in a Woodhead type role, but that's his top range.

Fred Taylor (AKA Fragile Freddie) couldn't stay healthy for an entire season, until all of a sudden he could. With his track record I sure wouldn't bet that DMC won't miss any games due to injury, but there is a precedent that the injury prone label can be shed.

And going back to the stat of no receptions over 20 yards since 2011 - for what it is worth, in one of the early games this year he had a 40+ yard reception that went for a TD that was called back due to a penalty on the other side of the field that was unrelated to the play. I think it is premature to conclude that he doesn't have it anymore (not saying that he does, but I haven't seen enough to draw a conclusion either way).
Fred Taylor was a stud. A healthy Taylor and McFadden are worlds apart. I acquired McFadden just before he sprained his ###### this year. I'd be happy with a 200 touch New Orleans landing spot. He'd put solid RB2 production. There is a good chance Pierre is a cap casualty and DMC is almost 4 years younger. I think best case for him is to replace Pierre, J. Bell, D. Brown or CJ2K as part of a committee. As a DMC owner, New Orleans is my preferred landing spot.

Thoughts?
I don't know the Rams FA situation or anything. But if I were them I would be satisfied going into next season with Stacy and Cunningham. They seem to be similar backs to DMC. I would want them to spend their extra cash at different positions.
The reason I can see this happening is because Stacy and Cunningham are so similar. It would be nice to get more of a game breaker, receiving back type in there. Stacy and Cunningham are more ground and pound back. McFadden offers a different dimension.

The Rams defense is going to be stout next year. They need to put points up!!

With Hue Jackson being promoted as the OC of the Bengals, what are the chances of them signing DMC to complement Gio and waive buh-bye to BJGE?

DMC had his best seasons with Hue Jackson as his HC.

I'd love to see him end up in Carolina after they cut Stewart for $$ reasons.
Carolina isn't going to cut Stewart. They would avoid paying him a $4.8M 2014 roster bonus, but his 2014 salary ($1.5M) and $2.5M of his 2015 salary are guaranteed, so they would have to pay him $4M not to play. Plus, would take a huge cap hit to cut him; I'm not sure of the exact figure, but I know $7.4M of his signing and restructure bonuses have yet to hit the cap.

Among variables to factor, he's a Raider. He may be underperforming because the Raiders can't figure out how to get him to play better, or he's been waiting to get out of town. Many high-profile players have gone on to excellent career resurrections after leaving the Raiders (Moss, Woodson, maybe Palmer).

Among variables to factor, he's a Raider. He may be underperforming because the Raiders can't figure out how to get him to play better, or he's been waiting to get out of town. Many high-profile players have gone on to excellent career resurrections after leaving the Raiders (Moss, Woodson, maybe Palmer).
Yet they were somehow able to figure out how to get production from the likes of Rashad Jennings.

Thoughts?
The reason I can see this happening is because Stacy and Cunningham are so similar. It would be nice to get more of a game breaker, receiving back type in there. Stacy and Cunningham are more ground and pound back. McFadden offers a different dimension.

The Rams defense is going to be stout next year. They need to put points up!!
Problem is, even when he's been in there, he hasn't been doing any game-breaking. He could have played more this year, but quite frankly Jennings was more explosive. If Jennings is more explosive than McFadden, I doubt McFadden will be more explosive than Stacy.

Once, yes, he would have been a great complement. Now? Maybe... Hard to say.

Yet they were somehow able to figure out how to get production from the likes of Rashad Jennings.
Check the stats again. Marginal fantasy value, not much NFL value. Undoubtedly, another team would find a way to get more out of him.

Might as well add Marcus Allen.

The Raiders aren't injuring him. The Raiders didn't give him the highest center of gravity at running back. He's a home run threat that lost a little off his fastball.

The real problem is no wiggle. Legs are just too long.

Check the stats again. Marginal fantasy value, not much NFL value. Undoubtedly, another team would find a way to get more out of him.
Not much NFL value in guy that averaged more than 5 yards per carry and totaled six TDs and close to 600 yards in just seven games as the starter while also adding 22 catches for another 187 yards? He averaged close to a hundred yards and a TD per game in the half of the season he was the starter. Seems like plenty of NFL value to me.

Users who are viewing this thread