What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE J.J. Watt - Retired (1 Viewer)

I posted earlier but $17M or whatever, that's like 10% of the cap for a team and at this stage of his career, not really worth it for most teams. But I also feel like they could have gotten something in a trade for him, think the Texans are cutting pay roll right now.  
He could easily sign a new contract with whatever team he signs with that would shift his cap number around.  I'm sure he'd be willing if it meant leaping from the Texan dumpster fire into a playoff team.

I would guess Minnesota will make a run at him. They have said the main focus this year is upgrading the defense and a Hunter/Watt anchored D-line sounds pretty appealing.

@WerderEdESPN

From NFL sources NFL sources: Approximately a dozen teams have shown interest in JJ Watt since he became an immediate unrestricted free agent. Included among those teams are the #Steelers, #Browns, #Bills and #Titans.

(RT'd by Schefter)

@WerderEdESPN

From NFL sources NFL sources: Approximately a dozen teams have shown interest in JJ Watt since he became an immediate unrestricted free agent. Included among those teams are the #Steelers, #Browns, #Bills and #Titans.

(RT'd by Schefter)
Steelers make sense but might not have the money (assuming he doesn't take a lot less than market value to play with his brothers). Bills or Titans I think are most likely, if he wants market value. (He played for vrabel for a bit)

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

So you can rule out Dallas and Pittsburgh.

--------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerESPN

With J.J. Watt officially waived today, he can begin receiving calls from NFL teams. I'm told Watt wants to take the weekend before digging into potential options.

Going to a contender will be important.

The Packers restructured Bakhatari's contract to free up $8.5M,  Packers restructure David Bakhtiari's deal, create $8.3M in cap space (msn.com)    Opening space for JJ?

The Packers restructured Bakhatari's contract to free up $8.5M,  Packers restructure David Bakhtiari's deal, create $8.3M in cap space (msn.com)    Opening space for JJ?
They're still about $20 mil over the cap. Let's see if Rodgers steps up and restructures to create more room.

@Soulfly3

J.J. Watt is "seriously considering" signing with the Browns. 

Sources tell Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot the Browns are a real contender to land Watt after the Texans inexplicably released the superstar edge rusher. At last check, half the NFL was looking into signing Watt, who reportedly wants to sign with a legit Super Bowl contender. The Browns, after making it to the Divisional Round and nearly upsetting the Chiefs in Kansas City, would seem to fit that description. Watt, entering his age-32 season, was Pro Football Focus' seventh highest-graded edge defender in 2020 who has the third most QB pressures since 2011. He would be a big get for Kevin Stefanski's upstart Browns, who have $21.7 million in cap space this offseason -- the tenth most in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Steelers -- with Watt's two brothers -- are more than $30 million over the cap. 

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: Cleveland.com 

Feb 16, 2021, 10:48 AM ET

i was called crazy when i started my obj to cleveland thread too.... 

mind you, i hope watt turns out a better fit, obviously (if he lands)

I was just thinking “he’s going to Tampa, isn’t he?”
He's been linked to so many teams. Every hour a new writer from somewhere releases a new column on why JJ Watt is going to sign with "Team X" and I simply go back to what i have watched in Tampa the last 10-12 months, I cannot imagine Watt would play for any team that doesn't have a "Bay" in part of their name...Green Bay, Tampa Bay, what other teams does he see a clear path getting to the Super Bowl? 

I could see him in Los Angeles with the Rams but they have cap issues and I don't see how they would be able to bring in Watt without some more cuts. The Bucs don't really have to part ways with anyone major in order to sign Watt, we know he's not getting $17M a season from a strong playoff team. If he wanted money he would have stayed in Houston. 

No rush on the Bucs or Watt's part right now, no reason to.  

He's been linked to so many teams. Every hour a new writer from somewhere releases a new column on why JJ Watt is going to sign with "Team X" and I simply go back to what i have watched in Tampa the last 10-12 months, I cannot imagine Watt would play for any team that doesn't have a "Bay" in part of their name...Green Bay, Tampa Bay, what other teams does he see a clear path getting to the Super Bowl?  
Cleveland. He could talk himself into Tennessee if he wants to play the Texans twice per year too.

I could see him in Los Angeles with the Rams but they have cap issues and I don't see how they would be able to bring in Watt without some more cuts. The Bucs don't really have to part ways with anyone major in order to sign Watt, we know he's not getting $17M a season from a strong playoff team. If he wanted money he would have stayed in Houston. 

No rush on the Bucs or Watt's part right now, no reason to.  
The Packers have the same problem as the Rams. While the Bucs make the most sense they don't have the benefit of time. Yes, they have cap space, but they also have to make decisions on Godwin and Shaq (L David too). The ultimate answer depends on Watt's number, but in Tampa's case I have a hard time seeing both Watt being brought in and Shaq coming back. And the franchise tag deadline is in less than a week.

Cleveland. He could talk himself into Tennessee if he wants to play the Texans twice per year too.

The Packers have the same problem as the Rams. While the Bucs make the most sense they don't have the benefit of time. Yes, they have cap space, but they also have to make decisions on Godwin and Shaq (L David too). The ultimate answer depends on Watt's number, but in Tampa's case I have a hard time seeing both Watt being brought in and Shaq coming back. And the franchise tag deadline is in less than a week.
All good points. I have come to the conclusion Fournette will not be brought back, they almost cut him Week 14/15, they are not going to pay him $8M a season but there are teams who will want Fournette and he should go get the most he can leverage for as a RB. 

Shaq Barrett has a Market Value of around $17-$18M and a bidding war could cause that number to rise. I believe he would stay in Tampa for around $15M if it's multiple years with a hefty signing bonus, he played on a 1-yr deal. If he parts ways though, the Bucs will need someone like Watt to help ease the loss of Barrett. 

Bucs are like $30M UNDER the CAP right now and could push that figure to around $50M if they desire to do so and part ways or restructure some contracts. They have money to spend. Godwin likely to get tagged until they work out a new deal. 

I'm of the belief that Antonio Brown will be back next year and possibly a bigger part of the offense, a full off season with Tom and the playbook. Arians only signed him to make Tom happy...that seems like a good mindset so if TB wants him then he's gonna get him. 

David? Love the guy but he is getting older even though his level of play has remained very high.    

All good points. I have come to the conclusion Fournette will not be brought back, they almost cut him Week 14/15, they are not going to pay him $8M a season but there are teams who will want Fournette and he should go get the most he can leverage for as a RB. 

Shaq Barrett has a Market Value of around $17-$18M and a bidding war could cause that number to rise. I believe he would stay in Tampa for around $15M if it's multiple years with a hefty signing bonus, he played on a 1-yr deal. If he parts ways though, the Bucs will need someone like Watt to help ease the loss of Barrett. 

Bucs are like $30M UNDER the CAP right now and could push that figure to around $50M if they desire to do so and part ways or restructure some contracts. They have money to spend. Godwin likely to get tagged until they work out a new deal. 

I'm of the belief that Antonio Brown will be back next year and possibly a bigger part of the offense, a full off season with Tom and the playbook. Arians only signed him to make Tom happy...that seems like a good mindset so if TB wants him then he's gonna get him. 

David? Love the guy but he is getting older even though his level of play has remained very high.    
From the outside I don't disagree with all/most of this, but those that follow Tampa a lot more closely than I think Shaq and David are priorities (and Godwin gets tagged). If that's the case then where does that leave Watt.

Watch PatMcafee's interview w Lombardi yesterday on youtube

Some pretty fascinating info he reveals, esp into negotiations. 

Basically, says he's almost NEVER seen more than 2 teams seriously (aka make a legit cash offer) to a player. 

Thinks all this is agent driven talk. 

From the outside I don't disagree with all/most of this, but those that follow Tampa a lot more closely than I think Shaq and David are priorities (and Godwin gets tagged). If that's the case then where does that leave Watt.
Bucs Salary Cap 2021 

As you can see they have 5 players in the $5M+ range with no cap hit beyond the salary...Smith and Jensen make about $25M between the 2 of them and I'm hopeful they can re-work these deals and shift some things around. Brate and Howard are $13M, one of them isn't coming back. There's some room for them to clear more cap if they need to. 

In Tampa, with Gholston waived or another contract restructured. 

I am not sure he is going to the Bucs, but the players they have to re-sign have nothing to do with it. 

Bucs Salary Cap 2021 

As you can see they have 5 players in the $5M+ range with no cap hit beyond the salary...Smith and Jensen make about $25M between the 2 of them and I'm hopeful they can re-work these deals and shift some things around. Brate and Howard are $13M, one of them isn't coming back. There's some room for them to clear more cap if they need to. 
I follow. You said they have the benefit of time. I don't think they do. I think they need Shaq inked before the franchise tag deadline, so they can slap it on Godwin and know what they need to do to make room for Watt. The if-then's get messy if they don't have Shaq (and ideally Watt) inked by Tuesday.

I follow. You said they have the benefit of time. I don't think they do. I think they need Shaq inked before the franchise tag deadline, so they can slap it on Godwin and know what they need to do to make room for Watt. The if-then's get messy if they don't have Shaq (and ideally Watt) inked by Tuesday.
You are right with all of this. I'm still Super Bowl drunk and honestly have never had this kind of feeling post Super Bowl, it feels amazing to win one of these finally for a team I care about. I was overjoyed when the Bucs won in '02 with Sapp, Brooks and Lynch all in the Hall of Fame...but after the Super Bowl I did not expect the Bucs to repeat and then things went South fast in Tampa, my hopes are that this team will continue to grow and expand and also start making some plans for whenever Brady wants to retire and I feel the Bucs should give him an extension, at least a year, some bonus money for doing all this. Brady has added to a legacy that was already mighty high, I'm just shocked what has happened in 12 months over the NFL. 

I need to check in over in Cleveland, would like to see the plans for the off season and where they go from here...they won't be sneaking up on anyone next year and neither will the Miami Dolphins who just missed the playoffs this year with 10 wins. 

I need to check in over in Cleveland, would like to see the plans for the off season and where they go from here...they won't be sneaking up on anyone next year and neither will the Miami Dolphins who just missed the playoffs this year with 10 wins. 
Our priorities are edge, perimeter cb, slot cb, vertical wr, joker, and lb. That'd be my order. Berry has the Beckham ($15.75m, $0 dead), Landy ($14.8m, $3m dead), Bitonio ($10m, $0 dead), Tretter (11.1m, $3.3m dead), Richardson ($13.2m, $1.7m dead), and Keenum ($7.3m, $5.2 dead, $2.7 if traded) contracts to mess around with and about $20m in cap space as-is. I don't have a good sense what he will do, but given the age of the last 3 and the paydays coming up (Baker, Ward, Teller, but probably not Chubb) I can't imagine adding (much) length is a consideration.

If Watt were to happen then I expect some stare downs with those 6 - somewhere between lowering their number, trading, and cutting. Cause I think a meaningful CB is also going to be purchased (possibly more) and sustaining some roll over is a priority for this group given the youth on the roster that will need re-upped in the near future.

I would guess Minnesota will make a run at him. They have said the main focus this year is upgrading the defense and a Hunter/Watt anchored D-line sounds pretty appealing.
Minny runs a 4-3 and Houston a 3-4 so it's not a great scheme fit.......although I am sure Watt could play a 4-3 DE too it's just that he hasn't done it

I want to see Shaq re-signed, but bringing him back wouldn't preclude them from signing Watt.  Shaq plays OLB in Bowle's 3-4.  Watt would likely be replacing Suh or Gholston if they wanted to sign him.  Personally, I'd prefer they keep those two over Watt.  Suh hasn't missed a game since 2011, and Gholston has been quietly good for a long time and is super cheap. 

I want to see Shaq re-signed, but bringing him back wouldn't preclude them from signing Watt.  Shaq plays OLB in Bowle's 3-4.  Watt would likely be replacing Suh or Gholston if they wanted to sign him.  Personally, I'd prefer they keep those two over Watt.  Suh hasn't missed a game since 2011, and Gholston has been quietly good for a long time and is super cheap. 
The math gets tight with a Shaq extenstion ($15m+) and a Godwin franchise tag ($16.43m). Cut Brate and Gholston then assuming smaller moves creates space for the draft class that gets them right about at the cap. Tampa would probably have to extend both Jensen and D Smith to facilitate signing Watt, but assuming fun with signing bonuses creates the space for Gronk then wouldn't L David, AB, and Suh be out? NTTAWWT though. 

The math gets tight with a Shaq extenstion ($15m+) and a Godwin franchise tag ($16.43m). Cut Brate and Gholston then assuming smaller moves creates space for the draft class that gets them right about at the cap. Tampa would probably have to extend both Jensen and D Smith to facilitate signing Watt, but assuming fun with signing bonuses creates the space for Gronk then wouldn't L David, AB, and Suh be out? NTTAWWT though. 
It certainly does.  Extensions for Jensen and Smith would help.  Hell, Brady may even want to tack on another year or two.  Mike Evans has already said he'd restructure.  I tend to agree they can't re-sign all their own core guys (Shaq, Godwin, LVD) AND land Watt+ AB, Suh, Gronk, Fournette.  Unless someone (Watt) wants to play for well below market value to ring chase. 

Titans coach Mike Vrabel confirms the team has "had discussions" about free agent J.J. Watt. 

"There’s a lot of things that go into bringing in free agents, certainly ones that are past 30 or in the back half of their career," Vrabel said. "Cost is also a part of it. The fit is a part of it, and then the need." Those certainly are not the comments of a coach who expects to be adding Watt to his team, though perhaps it is the Titans doing a bit of negotiating through the media. With the salary cap plunging this spring, it is possible players like Watt are going to have to settle for less than they would bring home in a normal year. Watt would be a nice addition for a veteran-laden, win-now, in-need-of-defense roster. 

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Feb 18, 2021, 11:04 PM ET

There's definitely a need, and I'd think Watt would fit well in Nashville. Cost may be prohibitive, and I'd hate to bring him in for a high salary and have him not perform well (which can pretty much be said for any player).  I don't know that it matters but JJ's worst two seasons occurred during Vrabel's time in Houston. 

So Watt wants to go to a Division Rival after the Texans did him a favor and released him?

Think about what you all post and where it's printed and who the writer is and what their motivation is in getting it out in the media...

I think almost NO CHANCE he ends up in TN, indy or Jax for that matter. 

He's gonna go get his ring first and foremost, this guy has a ton of money and has been a pillar in the community of Houston thru multiple disasters and issues there...he's not turning around and going with a division rival, that's just someone getting paid to make up rumors and write stories so they can collect a paycheck...they have no idea what Watt is thinking, NONE!

-You get what I'm saying Faust? You simply link stories so folks can talk about it and I appreciate all of it but I want to point out to the viewers at home that much of this media push is simply people that need to fill up space with words and this is a hot topic...I wouldn't put much faith in it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So Watt wants to go to a Division Rival after the Texans did him a favor and released him?

Think about what you all post and where it's printed and who the writer is and what their motivation is in getting it out in the media...

I think almost NO CHANCE he ends up in TN, indy or Jax for that matter. 

He's gonna go get his ring first and foremost, this guy has a ton of money and has been a pillar in the community of Houston thru multiple disasters and issues there...he's not turning around and going with a division rival, that's just someone getting paid to make up rumors and write stories so they can collect a paycheck...they have no idea what Watt is thinking, NONE!

-You get what I'm saying Faust? You simply link stories so folks can talk about it and I appreciate all of it but I want to point out to the viewers at home that much of this media push is simply people that need to fill up space with words and this is a hot topic...I wouldn't put much faith in it. 
Don’t shoot the messenger @Ministry of Pain - clickbait or not this is a fantasy football message board and stimulating discussion during the offseason gives us something to talk about - especially with all of the other negative news that is going on in the world.

I agree that it is unlikely that Watt will sign with Jacksonville and Tennessee seems to be a bit of a long shot, but Watt wants to maximize his chances at a ring and a decent payday - so is Indianapolis really all that far-fetched?  

Over The Cap:

Because we don’t know what the salary cap limit is, it’s hard to say exactly how much cap space they will have. The floor will be $180 million and with that, Over The Cap has the Colts projected for just over $68 million in salary cap space, the second-most in the NFL.

So with that, the Colts would have roughly $43 million to work with in salary cap space if the league settles on a $180 million limit.

It seems like the Colts are a nice juxtaposition between salary cap available and a team that has Super Bowl aspirations.

(This is assuming that they can rebuild Carson Wentz, Quarterback. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic quarterback. Carson Wentz will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.)

FWIW - he will likely sign somewhere else but this is the NFL - almost nothing can be ruled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t shoot the messenger @Ministry of Pain - clickbait or not this is a fantasy football message board and stimulating discussion during the offseason gives us something to talk about - especially with all of the other negative news that is going on in the world.

I agree that it is unlikely that Watt will sign with Jacksonville and Tennessee seems to be a bit of a long shot, but Watt wants to maximize his chances at a ring and a decent payday - so is Indianapolis really all that far-fetched?  

Over The Cap has the Colts projected for just over $68 million in salary cap space, the second-most in the NFL - seems like a nice juxtaposition between salary cap available and a team that has Super Bowl aspirations.

(This is assuming that they can rebuild Carson Wentz, Quarterback. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic quarterback. Carson Wentz will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.)

FWIW - he will likely sign somewhere else but this is the NFL - almost nothing can be ruled out.
I banged back in the Watson thread too in much the same manner but I did try at the end to go out of my way to tell you it's not personal and certainly not aimed at you. 

Like you said, clickbait. 

Excerpt:

J.J. WATT SWEEPSTAKES: Three best fits for the vet

"Free agency is wild."

That's what J.J. Watt tweeted earlier this week. Perhaps the 31-year-old pass rusher with three Defensive Player of Year awards on his mantle didn't know what kind of market he'd command, but his name has been buzzing in scouting circles since his release from the Houston Texans a week ago.

The 11th-year pro has been raised as a possible target for numerous teams, with general managers and coaches searching for a defensive closer in a passing league. Watt certainly qualifies with 101 sacks on his résumé, and a pair of 20-sack seasons that showcased his dominance as a power rusher with flair.

Sure, he is two seasons removed from posting double-digit sacks (16 in 2018), but he still flashes disruptive potential when given the chance to hunt quarterbacks in favorable situations. Considering Watt was double-teamed 30.1 percent of the time (most among edge rushers) last season, his disruptive potential shouldn't be dismissed based on his 5.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and 14 tackles for loss. With No. 99 also registering seven pass breakups, the five-time All-Pro is unquestionably a hot commodity as a veteran pass rusher with some gas in the tank.

After surveying the league for potential fits, here are three teams that make sense for Watt and his talents:

Green Bay Packers

2020 record: 13-3

As a Wisconsin native, Watt heading to Green Bay is sensible based on how the homecoming would enhance his personal brand on and off the field. He already has earned legendary status as a former Badger, but helping the Packers hoist the Lombardi Trophy would cement his legacy as an icon.

On the field, Watt's disruptive skills as a pass rusher would fortify a front line that features a star (Za'Darius Smith), a stud (Kenny Clark) and an emerging talent (Rashan Gary). Although Preston Smith currently occupies a spot in the rotation, he could be expendable due to his stomachable dead-money hit ($8 million) and meager production as a pass rusher in 2020.

With Watt's effort, energy and play-making prowess adding some juice to the unit, the Packers' defense would be better equipped against offenses forced to chase points to keep up with Aaron Rodgers and Co. In addition, given the importance of trench play in the playoffs, the Packers' willingness to upgrade the defensive front with a disruptive playmaker at the point of attack could pay dividends.

Buffalo Bills

2020 record: 13-3

If Watt opts for the best cultural fit, he could join Buffalo to give the defense another blue-chip defender with a blue-collar mentality. Moreover, the 11th-year pro would give the Bills a legitimate pass rusher off the edge to harass the elite AFC quarterbacks they must defeat on the way to a Super Bowl.

The Bills had 38 sacks in the 2020 regular season (tied for 15th in the NFL) and registered five sacks during the postseason (three games). Buffalo's inability to generate pressure, particularly against Patrick Mahomes, exposed the vulnerabilities of the linebackers and defensive backs.

With Watt on board, the Bills would have an intriguing tandem on the edges (Watt and Jerry Hughes) with Ed Oliver viewed as a potential breakout player on the inside. If A.J. Epenesa continues to develop, the Bills would have the option of utilizing Watt as a situational player or pass-rush specialist playing primarily on passing downs.

Tennessee Titans

2020 record: 11-5

The pre-existing relationship between Mike Vrabel and Watt could make this marriage work in Nashville. Having been Houston's defensive coordinator in 2017, the Titans head coach is familiar with using No. 99 as the unit's centerpiece, and that experience could enable Vrabel to craft a plan that puts the veteran pass rusher in a position to re-emerge as a force in the AFC.

For the Titans, a Watt resurgence would address the defense's biggest weakness in a division loaded with young, dynamic quarterbacks. The addition of an established pass rusher would fortify a front line that features an intriguing interior disruptor (Jeffery Simmons) and an edge flasher (Harold Landry).

Although the Titans would still need more reinforcements to improve a pass rush that only registered 19 sacks in 2020, the addition of Watt would certainly boost a unit that is badly in need of more juice.

2 years and $23m guaranteed and that brings me to two things I need to stay.

1. Don't preach "face of the franchise" or loyalty BS to me. Good teams don't give away assets and you can find a way to trade a player were he wants to go, like Stafford to Rams. This contract is a clear indicator Watt was in demand and a team with arguably worst collection of roster/draft capital got nothing.

2. When will people learn that money almost always matters?

Cardinals signed DE J.J. Watt to a two-year, $31 million contract.

Considered a long shot, Arizona kept a low profile to sign Watt, who was considering the Packers, Browns, and Steelers among others. The money is reasonable, featuring $23 million in guarantees. Heading into his age-32 season, Watt will likely play more snaps on the inside as some of his speed dwindles, but he still brings a high-end edge presence in spurts. It's unclear if the Watt signing means Arizona won't re-sign OLB Hassan Reddick (13.0 sacks in 2020), but if he were to come back the trio of Watt, Reddick, and OLB Chandler Jones would vault the Cardinals' pass rush into top-three consideration. They were eighth in adjusted sack rate last season while playing aggressive man coverage on the backend. Arizona's front office is certainly chasing their rookie quarterback contract window to win.

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 1, 2021, 12:55 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread