What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deep Sleepers in Dynasty (1 Viewer)

Based on July ADP http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/adp/ some that stand out are in the 240 range and lower:

Dexter McCluster - can Reid utilize him?

Tommy Streeter- size/speed combo, Tandon Doss here also

TJ Graham - WR3 role potential but tough competition

Austin Pettis- having a good camp, could beat out Quick

Ace Sanders- Could jump up quite a bit next year if Jax gets Bridgewater

Based on July ADP http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/adp/ some that stand out are in the 240 range and lower:

I think TJ Graham is a solid guy that's on most waiver wires. Unfortunately I don't think I can justify rostering him in my 19 player roster league, but 22+ I think he should definitely be rostered. He has the speed, has a good head on his shoulders, was productive his rookie year, and is getting good reviews this offseason.

I also agree that Pettis is getting undervalued because all the other draft picks around him. The fact that he has stuck, and even impressed, a new regime is impressive in its own right.

I would add Doug Baldwin to this list, in the hopes that he is eventually cut or traded by the Seahawks, and picks up as the slot guy in a solid offense. It's a stretch, but we are talking about deep sleepers.

How about Joe Webb? I've had an affinity for QBs turned WR ever since I drafted Bert Emanuel, and Webb has an ideal size-speed combo while be familiar with the playbook.

Some longshots that I'm rostering in multiple leagues:

RB Dennis Johnson

RB Spencer Ware

WR Nick Toon

TE Luke Willson

I posted this earlier today in the TEs thread but I found it MORE appropriate for this thread because we are talking about deep dynasty sleepers.

Here is my list at TE for deep dynasty sleepers that I believe may have a shot for at least some fantasy relevance by late 2013 or early 2014 and IMHO each one of these have a shot to become a top 15 TE contributor within 3 yrs.

Obviously that is a really loaded statement but I will do my best to lay out my opinions on these players who may in some cases still be available on your waiver wire in your dynasty leagues. In order for these players to reach any sort of fantasy relevance they need a combination of 3 things.

Talent: Athletic 2 way TEs may see the field quicker because they will allow their teams to use them in a variety of formations. Swing or Motion TEs tend to be a little smaller (in general) and are assumed to be better fitted for helping out in the passing game.

Opportunity: This could factor in quite a few important elements. Depth chart over the next few yrs would be an important factor and is nearly impossible to project beyond the current contracts of the players already on the roster. Offensive scheme can make things better or worse... Chud and Norval Turner in Cleveland for example should give Jordan Cameron a huge boost because of their history with athletic TEs. Viable QB play may be one of the most important factors there is because without one even a player like Jimmy Graham could perform like Ben Troupe.

Trust: Does the coaching staff believe this player is part of their future? Does the QB trust them to execute their assignments consistently and trust them enough to allow them to try and make a play?

There are many other factors as well but with the framework above here are some sleeper TE names to keep in mind for 2014 and beyond. Some of these COULD make a surprising impact for THIS season as well but I don't expect any of them to finish higher than TE 20 for this season.

Julius Thomas DEN (6'5" 255 lbs... just turned 25 yrs in June... Signed through 2014)

Talent: Athletic former Basketball player at Portland State who struggled with injuries each of the last 2 seasons. Has reportedly impressed everyone (including Sheriff Manning) with his athleticism and ability to make a play in traffic... Jimmy Graham type mold who reportedly is NOT a strong blocker.
Opportunity: While he offers something that none of the other TEs on the current roster can offer (which is the athleticism to be a real difference maker) he has a lot of experienced vets to battle for playing time on a team coached by conservative John Fox who has never really shown an ability to sustain fantasy relevance for TEs in his system. Manning is obviously a more than viable QB but with the other weapons at his disposal and with Denver looking like they are going to be using a 1 TE 3 WR set as their base offense I'm not optimistic for any sort of breakout season from Thomas this yr.
Trust: The team obviously is very high on his talent and they would love for him to become another big weapon for them but with his questionable blocking when compared to the other TEs on the roster I imagine Julius Thomas will be a situational player for them at best barring a few injuries to other key players. Manning spoke glowingly of him in OTAs but again what else is he supposed to say.
Analysis: I would love to see Julius Thomas in a situation similar to the one that Jimmy Graham found himself in when he broke into the league a few years back. I don't really see that as an option in 2013 and unlikely to be much different in 2014 even if he happens to flash elite talent sometime during this season. Obviously things can change in a minute in the NFL so I would keep an eye on him and if you are an optimistic owner you may be able to cash in on some hype later this season.

Adrien Robinson NYG (6'5" 269 lbs... 24 but turning 25 in Sept.... Signed through 2015)

Talent: Athletic and raw... Reportedly "gets it" now as far as knowing his assignments well enough that he doesn't have to slow down to process things or think too much. Last yr he missed a lot of the offseason because of how the university of Cincinatti runs their schedule. Ran a 4.57 forty last yr at the combine and despite low catch totals in college I believe that the Giants have proven over the last few yrs that they now how to use and develop TEs. Ballard, Bennett, Kevin Boss... all 3 of those no names or underachievers became relevant in recent yrs in the Giants system. Even bust Travis Beckum showed some ability and relevance when he was healthy (rarely).
Opportunity: Fast forward to free agency this past offseason where the Giants let Bennett go and they signed newcomer Brandon Myers to only a 1 yr contract. Is that a sign that they expect Robinson to make a big leap this yr and want him to be the starter going forward in 2014? Some feel that the signing of Myers would be a negative to Robinson's opportunity and while I agree with that for his impact in 2013 I think it speaks volumes that they only gave him a 1 yr contract. Eli is viable and he loves big targets in the Red Zone especially. I'd say the reports about Robinson improving as a blocker will also help him to get on the field quickly and from there you never know what may happen. Nicks, Cruz, Wilson, Randle, Myers... that's a lot of mouths to feed but Bennett played well last yr in spurts and I don't see why Robinson can't have that kind of impact if/when he becomes the starter in 1 TE sets.
Trust: The team obviously is very high on his talent as GM Jerry Reese has referred to him as the JPP of TEs... Tremendous size and in his very limited highlights from his college days he appears to be able to adjust to the ball in the air pretty impressively for somebody with his size. Certainly somebody to keep an eye on.
Analysis: I believe Robinson could make an impact as early as this yr and he could be potentially a top 10 option in 2014 and beyond if he becomes the top dog at TE for this offense. I believe he has a decent shot at 4 or 5 TDs this yr as a situational RZ threat. I personally wouldn't let him sit on the waiver wire at this point.

digging deeper...
James Hanna DAL (6'4" 252 lbs... just turned 24 yrs in July... Signed through 2015)

Talent: Fastest TE in his class last yr at the combine with a 4.49 forty... Also boasts a 36" vert... 6.76 sec 3 cone & 4.11 shuttle. Created mismatch problems late in the season last yr when he got a chance to play (just ask the Steelers LBs)
Opportunity: This is where Jerry Jones blows me away... Cowboys drafted Gavin Escobar in the 2nd Rd to play as a receiving TE... Escobar is bigger but slower and not as explosive as Hanna... Perhaps they envision Escobar as the eventual replacement for Witten in a few yrs and they are trying to coach up his blocking which has been labeled very inconsistent? It's not exactly clear where James Hanna fits into their long term plans (if at all) but I'm willing to bet that if the Boys struggle this yr that Jason Garrett IS on the Hot Seat and then all bets are off as to what this roster will look like next season. In the short term I believe Hanna could step in and play some in the slot. He also is currently ahead of Escobar in the 2 TE sets reportedly (although its still early in camp). If Romo can continue to move around like Romo likes to do then I can see Hanna excelling in that fast break playground style game where he can use his speed and acceleration to get open after the play breaks down. His playing time may be heavily tied to how HE develops as a blocker in his own right.
Trust: The team has been talking about his ability to catch the ball and there seems to be a bit of disagreement about what his role will be going forward according to various beat writers during OTAs and thus far into camp.
Analysis: Hanna is intriguing to me but I've cooled on him a bit mostly just because I think that Jerry Jones is dumb to spend a 2nd Rd pick on Escobar and he seems (and has shown in the past) to be the kind of guy who wants to justify "his picks" by forcing the coach's hand. If Jason Garrett grows a pair (unlikely) I think that Hanna could have a decent impact this season as a situational TE and if he shows enough then maybe he can work his way into cementing himself a future role on this team. If Garrett gets fired then all bets are off. Im currently holding Hanna to see how the preseason unfolds but I wouldn't blame anyone for having him stashed on the wire. If you own Witten it may make sense to pick him up and stash him.

and finally...
Fendi Onobun CHI (6'6" 249 lbs... 26 but turning 27 in November.... Restricted FA in 2014)

Talent: Athletic and raw... Never played football in High School or College but played BBall for Arizona for 4 yrs... He did play 1 yr for Houston with his last yr of eligibility... This is his 6th NFL team and likely his last shot but his old High School friend and team mate Martellus Bennett is now with him in Chicago and his tools are undeniably intriguing.
Pro Day Results from 2010... 4.45 forty... 16 reps... 37.5 vert... 11'01" broad... 4.15 shuttle & 6.85 3 cone drill
Opportunity: Mark Trestman in Chicago as the Head Coach is an intriguing twist on this story. He reportedly wants the TEs to be a big part of his offensive scheme and in his time as a coach in the CFL there were quite a few players who would have been considered swing or tweener TEs who found success in his system. Onobun has received a fair amount of offseason buzz (i know... players in shorts) and he has a shot to surprise in this offense especially because Martellus Bennett is an extremely good blocker which could mean that their is an opportunity for Onobun to stretch the seams and make an impact. Cutler is not afraid to throw the ball up and because the NFL is all about adjusting I believe that Marshall will obviously be the biggest thing that teams will scheme to take away from the Bears offense.
Trust: This of course at this point is an unknown but I believe he will get a good opportunity to see if he belongs during the preseason.
Analysis: Im excited to see what happens here... He is the type of player that could be something special if he is ever able to really put things together... We Shall See

Those that didn't make the cut for now:
Taylor Thompson TEN (just screams Kellen Davis to me... I was high on him last yr till I saw him "adjust" to the ball in mid-air... oof... not natural enough for me and his QB situation is terrible in my opinion... Plus the team signed newcomer Delanie Walker to a 4 yr contract and they have a lot of money tied up in Craig Stevens as well)

Brandon Bostick GB (he could make a splash but I don't see the Packers giving him much of a shot THIS yr unless Andrew Quarless is unable to stay healthy... I also expect JerMichael Finley to have a big yr... Bostick is somebody who could be intriguing down the road or as soon as 2014 if/when Finley moves on... Keep an eye peeled for how he is developing)

James Casey/ Zach Ertz PHI (I was really excited to see what Casey could do and I'm still holding him in a few leagues in hopes that they use him in the slot frequently but with the drafting of Ertz and the uncertainty of what Chip Kelly's offense will look like I just don't think I can confidently give any kind of evaluation... I believe this offense is going to spread it around so much that maybe the offense will be productive but any single player in the pass game won't be productive enough to hold on my roster for long)

- Jeff Cumberland (getting 0 attention, but should start. often on waivers)
6'4", 250#, 4.45 forty. Tell me more.
Is that correct? He looked lumbering last season.
I think I'm actually more interested in Hayden Smith in that situation than Cumberland... Cumberland didn't pass the eyeball test to me in his limited time last yr... truth is MOST of these deep sleeper types haven't really been viewed too often but I too thought Cumberland looked lumbering.

How about Armon Binns? I can't be the only one that feels that Brandon Gibson is over-rated right? I can see a scenario where Armon Binns wins or at least competes for the slot role on that offense... Mike Wallace can take the top off of the Defense with Keller and Hartline underneath... Im not saying he will ever be more than a WR5 or WR6 but he has a big body and could play a role in the Red Zone if he gets a shot... he actually reminds me a lot of James Jones in Green Bay although probably not as fast. Philbin seems to like big guys in the slot so maybe he sticks?

I think I'm actually more interested in Hayden Smith in that situation than Cumberland... Cumberland didn't pass the eyeball test to me in his limited time last yr... truth is MOST of these deep sleeper types haven't really been viewed too often but I too thought Cumberland looked lumbering.
Yes, he ran a 4.45 at his pro day.

Smith is interesting, but he has limited football experience to date. He's a rugby convert who probably needs another year or so to develop.

In games Cumberland started last year, he was roughly a top 30 TE. Nothing crazy, but in '12 he showed significant improvement from his first two seasons and he costs almost nothing to roster right now. That improvement was highlighted following the bye, as well. Odds are that he continues to improve given the trajectory he's shown over the last 12 months. He's not overly exciting and highly unlikely to ever be a top 10 guy, but he's shown the improvement and is athletic enough to be a considered as a TE2 with potential.

How about Joe Webb? I've had an affinity for QBs turned WR ever since I drafted Bert Emanuel, and Webb has an ideal size-speed combo while be familiar with the playbook.
Webb, last I heard, was having trouble catching the football. But hey, since we're toasting deep sleepers, a guy with his size/speed combo and athletic ability should be on dynasty radars.

I don't play in leagues of the roster 20-25 player variety but if I was looking for end of the bench stashes in leagues that shallow:

Michael Smith

Joe Morgan

Marvin Jones

Luke Wilson

Correct me though if you play in leagues of that depth and these guys are not on the WW

EBF said:
Some longshots that I'm rostering in multiple leagues:

RB Dennis Johnson

RB Spencer Ware

WR Nick Toon

TE Luke Willson

Not sure what you see in Spencer Ware, but I like Toon, don't know enough about Johnson,nor Wilson to comment.

Joseph Morgan

Corey Fuller

Dwayne Harris

Donnie Avery

Travaris Cadet

Michael Cox

George Winn

Dion Lewis

Justin Forsett

nirad3 said:
Shanahanigans said:
Bronx Bomber said:

Webb, last I heard, was having trouble catching the football. But hey, since we're toasting deep sleepers, a guy with his size/speed combo and athletic ability should be on dynasty radars.
Serious question: Can Joe Webb run routes? I know he knows the playbook and has the eyeball test on attributes but can he actually line up and beat the press and run a route?

johnadams said:
Dr. Octopus said:
johnadams said:
Patoons said:
According to Wikipedia, which was, honestly, the only place I looked after googling him. Seemed fast to me as well.
Mark Wimer has him at the #10 FF Tight End this year for a while now....

:shrug:

I'm hoping Winslow can stay healthy..

Good Cumberland write up.... http://turnonthejets.com/2013/06/turn-on-the-jets-film-room-jeff-cumberland-capable-starter/

I like Cumberland somewhat in a Deep All-Play type league where you might get a pop some week but, for a dynasty thread i don't think there is anything to see, 'as if' he's going to develop into some long term top 10 TE or Keeper..... If Wimer is correct and he winds up anywhere near top 10 it'll be fluky and the Jets will still try to bring in a real TE next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
nirad3 said:
Shanahanigans said:
Bronx Bomber said:

Serious question: Can Joe Webb run routes? I know he knows the playbook and has the eyeball test on attributes but can he actually line up and beat the press and run a route?
This... I am rooting for the guy but Im not expecting much... I really wish we could have seen him begin his career as a WR coming out of college... I will be watching closely just because I'm a fan but I don't really see him leapfrogging Simpson Rudolph Jennings & Patterson for targets and lets not forget the AllDay is still there.

He was interesting as a QB because of his ability to run but I'm not hopeful that he will be anything more than a gadget Kordell Stewart "slash" type player which can be fun to watch but not fun to own on your fantasy team as your WR11 or whatever.

johnadams said:
Dr. Octopus said:
johnadams said:
Patoons said:
According to Wikipedia, which was, honestly, the only place I looked after googling him. Seemed fast to me as well.
Mark Wimer has him at the #10 FF Tight End this year for a while now....

:shrug:

I'm hoping Winslow can stay healthy..

Good Cumberland write up.... http://turnonthejets.com/2013/06/turn-on-the-jets-film-room-jeff-cumberland-capable-starter/

I like Cumberland somewhat in a Deep All-Play type league where you might get a pop some week but, for a dynasty thread i don't think there is anything to see, 'as if' he's going to develop into some long term top 10 TE or Keeper..... If Wimer is correct and he winds up anywhere near top 10 it'll be fluky and the Jets will still try to bring in a real TE next year.
hmmm... I will have to look into this a little deeper. Thanks for the information!!

:thumbup:

Joseph Morgan - Can he develop better than Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem did?

Corey Fuller - Im interested for sure... Raw prospect but hey there may be a spot for him when Burleson moves on next yr

Dwayne Harris - I like this call but Im more interested to see if Hanna steps up and plays more from the slot this yr... Harris is an explosive player... reminds me of Jacoby Ford (healthy version)

Donnie Avery - Im done with Avery personally... I don't trust him to do much with Alex Smith and Im not sure he will stay healthy

Travaris Cadet - Interesting stash here... Eventual Sproles replacement?

Michael Cox - I don't know anything abt him other than he was drafted by the Giants which could mean he has value if he leaves ala Ryan Grant... of course he could be like Darrell Scott

George Winn - Hate that he went to the Patriots... I liked his future situation better if he would have stayed in Houston

Dion Lewis - Hard to know what to think here... I would have thought he would be a good fit for Kelly's system in Philly

Justin Forsett - More of a lotto ticket if MJD stays fat
my comments in red

nirad3 said:
Shanahanigans said:
Bronx Bomber said:

I was going to add that as a P.S. to my post.... along with the hands issue he was also having trouble properly running routes. Even basic ones.

That said, route-running is a far more attainable skill than magically growing a set of football-snaring mitts.

Either way he's a huge longshot to make any kind of splash as a pass-catcher for MIN.

They may use him in gadget situations but I wouldn't roster the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph Morgan - Can he develop better than Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem did?

Corey Fuller - Im interested for sure... Raw prospect but hey there may be a spot for him when Burleson moves on next yr

Dwayne Harris - I like this call but Im more interested to see if Hanna steps up and plays more from the slot this yr... Harris is an explosive player... reminds me of Jacoby Ford (healthy version)

Donnie Avery - Im done with Avery personally... I don't trust him to do much with Alex Smith and Im not sure he will stay healthy

Travaris Cadet - Interesting stash here... Eventual Sproles replacement?

Michael Cox - I don't know anything abt him other than he was drafted by the Giants which could mean he has value if he leaves ala Ryan Grant... of course he could be like Darrell Scott

George Winn - Hate that he went to the Patriots... I liked his future situation better if he would have stayed in Houston

Dion Lewis - Hard to know what to think here... I would have thought he would be a good fit for Kelly's system in Philly

Justin Forsett - More of a lotto ticket if MJD stays fat
my comments in red
Morgan - I like him as a deep threat, nothing more at this point.

Fuller - Not as raw as people think. Some of the best hands and YAC skill of draft. Better version of Marvin Jones.

Harris - I like him as a spot play if Austin goes down again.

Avery - I too am concerned with his health.

Cadet - Same here

Cox - Freakiest RB in the draft not named Christine Michael. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82322&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

Winn - I think he beats out Bolden.

Lewis - Could play the "Sproles" role for Turner. Younger than some 2013 draftees, like Johnathan Franklin.

Forsett - Fits great in new ZBS

Haven't really heard anyone talking about Michael Ford, but he could have a chance to backup Forte late this year or next year. He put up pretty good numbers at the combine.

I like some of the backup QBs (Mallett, Osweiler, Cousins) as high-upside stashes. At runningback, McGahee is capable of putting up top-24 numbers this season if someone has an injury during training camp or preseason. Jarius Wright and Dexter McCluster are intriguing guys to me in PPR leagues- probably just roster trash, but I'm interested enough to give them a couple months to audition. Tavarres King is a good sleeper out in Denver, since Decker is a UFA and Welker only has two years on his contract. Levine Toilolo doesn't look like anything special, but next season he's probably going to be Atlanta's starting TE by default when Gonzo retires, and Roddy's not getting any younger either. In really, really deep leagues, I could even see wasting a roster spot on Tim Tebow just in case he manages to earn TE eligibility. Keshawn Martin and Ace Sanders should be rostered in all leagues that reward return yards- Sanders is worth rostering even in leagues that don't. As my super-duper-duper deep sleeper special, I actually kind of like Arrelious Benn. He was garbage in Tampa, but he has fantastic pedigree, and he wouldn't be the first receiver who just needed a change of scenery- with Maclin's injury and Riley Cooper's meltdown, there might be opportunity to be had in Philly.

Jacoby Ford? Seems like he might finally be healthy and a nice dump off option for Flynn.
He's hurt again.....

(RotoWire) Ford left Wednesday's practice early, ESPN.com reports. Analysis: A reason for his early exit was not given, but Ford has been dealing with leg injuries since 2011. It's uncertain how much time he may miss following Wednesday's setback.

Haven't really heard anyone talking about Michael Ford, but he could have a chance to backup Forte late this year or next year. He put up pretty good numbers at the combine.
Keeping with the Michaels ...Michael Hill... Ryan Mathews is an injury waiting to happen and if you watch Hill's youtube highlights you will find a very impressive set of skills. Cutting, vision, ball protection..snicker, and a wicked stiff arm.

Ricardo lockette, for those who havent been following his story. He lit it up in camp on tuesday. His deep sleeper status could be quickly gone if he does the same in the preseason games though. The niners play tonight.

Also like dennis johnsons potential, resembles a young mjd on a running team. Tate will likely be gone to free agency after this season I believe.

Ricardo lockette, for those who havent been following his story. He lit it up in camp on tuesday. His deep sleeper status could be quickly gone if he does the same in the preseason games though. The niners play tonight.

Also like dennis johnsons potential, resembles a young mjd on a running team. Tate will likely be gone to free agency after this season I believe.
I think the job is between Lockette and Jenkins since they need a deep threat who can open up the field for Boldin.

cstu said:
Crazysight said:

I think the job is between Lockette and Jenkins since they need a deep threat who can open up the field for Boldin.
Kyle Williams has wheels too

Users who are viewing this thread