What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deion Branch (1 Viewer)

Ronde was all over him today. I dont even think Hasselbeck attempted a pass his way... maybe one.
Checked play by play.. 3 passes thrown his way.. 2 were thrown from the 7 yard line, I assume in to the endzone.
Excellent...Branch and Lee Evans were 2 out of 3 of my starting WRs for this week. Gotta love the double goose eggs. Man, I love fantasy football.

Ronde was all over him today. I dont even think Hasselbeck attempted a pass his way... maybe one.
Checked play by play.. 3 passes thrown his way.. 2 were thrown from the 7 yard line, I assume in to the endzone.
I watched the game . . . he didn't even get a target until 3 min left in the first half - and even then they were in the red zone (as you stated) . . . Hasslebeck spread the ball around all day . . . tough for anyone starting a Seahawks wide receiver . . .

I'm completely surprised at 0 Catches from Branch, however I wasn't expecting a lot from what was a run first, ball control approach against a more inferior team,

Seattle's next opponents pass D is not very good Last years Pass D ranks

Week 2 Arizona 30

Week 3 Cinci 31

Week4 San Fran 26

Week 5 Pitsburgh 20

As my 3rd WR I am not worried

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm completely surprised at 0 Catches from Branch, however I wasn't expecting a lot from what was a run first, ball control approach against a more inferior team, Seattle's next opponents pass D is not very good Last years Pass D ranksWeek 2 Arizona 30Week 3 Cinci 31Week4 San Fran 26Week 5 Pitsburgh 20As my 3rd WR I am not worried
:lmao:

What did you expect from a WR that does not have a single year of 1000+ yards or 10 + TDs....and this was depsite having one of the best Qbs in the game (Brady) throwing to him

Im a Seahawks fan and IMO he is not a #1 NFL WR.... he would be better as a #3, Bobby Engram type. He's not fast, and big.....Seahawks were ripped off in the trade w/ the Pats.

What did you expect from a WR that does not have a single year of 1000+ yards or 10 + TDs....and this was depsite having one of the best Qbs in the game (Brady) throwing to him
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Simply put, in 68 NFL games, Branch has a total of 18 TDs and averages 51 receiving yards a game. Averaged out over an entire 16-game season, that would give him 4 TDs and 816 yards. In other words, if you drafted this guy to be your number 1 or number 2 WR, you are in big trouble.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Simply put, in 68 NFL games, Branch has a total of 18 TDs and averages 51 receiving yards a game. Averaged out over an entire 16-game season, that would give him 4 TDs and 816 yards. In other words, if you drafted this guy to be your number 1 or number 2 WR, you are in big trouble.
I feel like I am in trouble for having him as a WR3 in a dynasty league. I am banking on Demetrius Williams or Jacoby Jones to step up and be my WR3.

:own3d: :hophead: :goodposting: Simply put, in 68 NFL games, Branch has a total of 18 TDs and averages 51 receiving yards a game. Averaged out over an entire 16-game season, that would give him 4 TDs and 816 yards. In other words, if you drafted this guy to be your number 1 or number 2 WR, you are in big trouble.
I feel like I am in trouble for having him as a WR3 in a dynasty league. I am banking on Demetrius Williams or Jacoby Jones to step up and be my WR3.
I think Branch could be a decent number 3 WR. Most of the WRs in the 25-36 range in my league last year (which would theoretically make someone a number 3 WR in a 12-team league) were around the 700-800 yard mark with around 4-6 TDs. If Branch ends up around his average, which is very doable and pretty likely, then he should be a good number 3. The problem for many, is that they probably drafted him to be their number 2 (or maybe even number 1, depending on how long they waited to draft their first WR) WR, so they probably will not get full value out of him.

So those extra 2 yards from his 998 yard season would've raised his value some?

So those extra 2 yards from his 998 yard season would've raised his value some?
Not likely, considering that he hasn't come close to 1,000 yards in any of his other seasons, and has never been a TD producer.

0 catches is definitely a concern. I need just a little bit more from one of my starters. Either he is hiding an injury or he just isn't as good as I thought he was going to be. Shame either way.

Hasselbeck post game quotes:

(On spreading the ball around…) That’s how we like to do things anyway. We spread it around. Losing Hackett early on, was not a good thing. It took away our four-wides package and took away a lot of what we came into this game hoping to do. I thought they other guys stepped up. They played us differently than I expected them to. They threw the ball underneath a bunch and our running backs and our tight ends did a nice job of catching the ball and getting a little bit, and being patient that way.
They tried to take Deion out of the game, and they took our receivers out a little bit in terms of deeper throws, and so we got our check downs underneath, we hit our backs, we hit our tight ends.
Holmgren:
If you look at our hit chart, our backs caught a few more passes than they normally do, our tight end caught balls. They are crowding our outside guys, so our quick game was a little problematic. They had a plan on how to do that, so instead of forcing the ball, I was really pleased that Matt didn’t force the ball. Because they can frustrate you just a little bit. For that matter, Deion Branch, as an example, what a professional. A good receiver going through a game and not seeing that many touches, sometimes they get a little cranky, and he was the biggest cheerleader I had on the sidelines. That showed a lot about that young man, too.
(On Deion Branch not getting many touches…) In our system right now, Deion should touch the ball more than any of the other receivers, he really should. We have done this with teams as well. We’ll come in and we’ll say that we’re not going to let him touch the ball quite as much, and clearly they had that as part of their plan.
Branch owners, I wouldn't worry. Branch wasn't a factor because the Bucs came out with an unusual game plan and forced Hasselbeck to look to his second and third options. I don't think you'll see many teams come with a similar strategy when you look at how accurate Hasselbeck was getting the ball to his TE and RB's.

(On spreading the ball around…) That’s how we like to do things anyway. We spread it around. Losing Hackett early on, was not a good thing. It took away our four-wides package and took away a lot of what we came into this game hoping to do. I thought they other guys stepped up. They played us differently than I expected them to. They threw the ball underneath a bunch and our running backs and our tight ends did a nice job of catching the ball and getting a little bit, and being patient that way.
They tried to take Deion out of the game, and they took our receivers out a little bit in terms of deeper throws, and so we got our check downs underneath, we hit our backs, we hit our tight ends.
Holmgren:
If you look at our hit chart, our backs caught a few more passes than they normally do, our tight end caught balls. They are crowding our outside guys, so our quick game was a little problematic. They had a plan on how to do that, so instead of forcing the ball, I was really pleased that Matt didn’t force the ball. Because they can frustrate you just a little bit. For that matter, Deion Branch, as an example, what a professional. A good receiver going through a game and not seeing that many touches, sometimes they get a little cranky, and he was the biggest cheerleader I had on the sidelines. That showed a lot about that young man, too.
(On Deion Branch not getting many touches…) In our system right now, Deion should touch the ball more than any of the other receivers, he really should. We have done this with teams as well. We’ll come in and we’ll say that we’re not going to let him touch the ball quite as much, and clearly they had that as part of their plan.
Branch owners, I wouldn't worry. Branch wasn't a factor because the Bucs came out with an unusual game plan and forced Hasselbeck to look to his second and third options. I don't think you'll see many teams come with a similar strategy when you look at how accurate Hasselbeck was getting the ball to his TE and RB's.
:confused: I guess Chucky forgot about that guy who has a penchant for the endzone and has something to prove after a injury plagued season... What a mess TB is

Holmgren:
:confused: It's week 1 people.

Holmgren:
:goodposting: It's week 1 people.
yeah - dunno i can let him get away with a zero and not hit the pine though - i got other options at #3

Holmgren:
:mellow: It's week 1 people.
yeah - dunno i can let him get away with a zero and not hit the pine though - i got other options at #3
I agree, Branch will only see the lineup if another players gets hurt or a bye week and I have no other options.

Unfortunately, Branch is my WR3 for now. Glenn was my Backup. May have to ride this out until we know more about Glenns' injury. Only choice to drop is Fred Taylor, Warrick Dunn or one of them. May try to trade one of the RBs for a WR2 if I can.

Holmgren:
:mellow: It's week 1 people.
How many defensive coordinators/coaches are going to look at the film of this game and say, "Wow, that's the way to beat the Seahawks." I'd say zero.

Alexander had his way with the Bucs on the ground and Pollard, Engram, Alexander, and Morris all were extremely effective catching the football. When the Seahawks play the Cardinals next week, I can assure you the Cards won't be making it a point to prevent Branch from getting involved at all costs. It's a stupid strategy, and one you won't see again this year.

:confused: :thumbup: :popcorn: Simply put, in 68 NFL games, Branch has a total of 18 TDs and averages 51 receiving yards a game. Averaged out over an entire 16-game season, that would give him 4 TDs and 816 yards. In other words, if you drafted this guy to be your number 1 or number 2 WR, you are in big trouble.
I think Branch could be a decent number 3 WR. Most of the WRs in the 25-36 range in my league last year (which would theoretically make someone a number 3 WR in a 12-team league) were around the 700-800 yard mark with around 4-6 TDs. If Branch ends up around his average, which is very doable and pretty likely, then he should be a good number 3. The problem for many, is that they probably drafted him to be their number 2 (or maybe even number 1, depending on how long they waited to draft their first WR) WR, so they probably will not get full value out of him.
If people drafted him as a WR1 or WR2 then yes they were probably expecting too much. But Branch was falling into the WR3 range in most drafts. That's where I got him and I did have high hopes for him in terms of receptions and yards (I agree he'll never be a big-time TD producer). In terms of talent, he is no less talented than Robert Brooks, who had big seasons as the flanker in Holmgren's offense. Granted he had an MVP throwing him the ball, but it's not like Hasselbeck stinks. To see the flanker in a Holmgren offense get 0 receptions and only 3 targets is nothing short of shocking. I think my expectations for Branch as my WR3 this season are very realistic but that was an absolutely killer performance (and I have Smith and Walker as my top two WRs). Even if we're all in agreement that Branch isn't an elite WR to see the No. 1 WR in a Holmgren offense throw up a dog like that against a suspect defense is a huge shock. Branch will remain in my lineup as my WR3 because I do think he'll be better as things go on but to open the season with a dog like that is a huge disappointment.

I have to admit that I bought into the Branch/Hassleback supposed chemistry this summer. I was grabbing Deon as a WR3B/WR4 in PPR leagues and feeling good about it, I'm not feeling nearly as good about those teams now.

cacksman said:
I benched Branch because of Ronde. He will do fine next week vs the Cards.

Donnybrook said:
cacksman said:
I benched Branch because of Ronde. He will do fine next week vs the Cards.
If he has another dog against the Cards then it will be time for legitimate concern in my opinion. I can't see that happening, though. Holmgren takes way too much pride in his passing game to not start finding ways to get his No. 1 WR involved. I would expect that to be a major focal point at practice this week in Seattle.

According to the Seattle Times, even though Seahawks WR Deion Branch was held without a catch Sunday against Tampa Bay for the first time in 66 games in which he has been on the active roster for his team, coach Mike Holmgren said expect more for his top WR this year. "In our system right now, Deion should touch the ball more than any of the other receivers," Holmgren said. "We've done this with teams as well. You come in and you say 'OK, we're not going to let him touch the ball quite as much,' and clearly they had that as part of the plan."

Holmgren:
Good, strong info here. Thanks.

Yep. Teams can take a WR out if they plan for it. New England did it successfully to Donald Driver last year.

According to the Seattle Times, even though Seahawks WR Deion Branch was held without a catch Sunday against Tampa Bay for the first time in 66 games in which he has been on the active roster for his team, coach Mike Holmgren said expect more for his top WR this year. "In our system right now, Deion should touch the ball more than any of the other receivers," Holmgren said. "We've done this with teams as well. You come in and you say 'OK, we're not going to let him touch the ball quite as much,' and clearly they had that as part of the plan."
This is what I was getting at with my previous posts. In the long term, Branch will be the most involved WR in this offense and I do think he'll be productive. I also believe that coming off a 0-catch game Holmgren will make it a point this week to get Branch more involved. He's a smart offensive head coach who takes a great deal of pride in his passing game in particular. So I think the outlook for Branch will be fine.But a 0 in Week 1 is still a killer.

I think Boldin had a 0 catch game last year (or the year before last). It happens.. but its certainly not what you want to see from a supposedly "emerging star". Top receivers should not be able to be completely shut down -- I don't care what the defense does. At least give us a 2-24 or something.

From the Seahawks Insider:

...lack of receptions by Deion Branch, which Holmgren said was a combination of good coverage by Tampa Bay but also a lack of creativity in the offensive scheme. Holmgren vowed to draw up some things that will get Branch more receptions because zero us unacceptable, Holmgren said, taking the blame.One thing that Holmgren likely will be watching intently is tonight's game between Arizona and San Francisco because with the Cardinals having a new coach there is a learning curve the Seahawks will have regarding their division opponent. Holmgren used as an analogy his team in Green Bay with Sterling Sharpe, the team's only receiver, Holmgren said. They moved Sharpe all over the place in order to get him free, and even though everybody knew he was the only weapon he still caught 100 balls. Holmgren wants to do the same for Branch.

...lack of receptions by Deion Branch, which Holmgren said was a combination of good coverage by Tampa Bay but also a lack of creativity in the offensive scheme. Holmgren vowed to draw up some things that will get Branch more receptions because zero us unacceptable, Holmgren said, taking the blame.One thing that Holmgren likely will be watching intently is tonight's game between Arizona and San Francisco because with the Cardinals having a new coach there is a learning curve the Seahawks will have regarding their division opponent. Holmgren used as an analogy his team in Green Bay with Sterling Sharpe, the team's only receiver, Holmgren said. They moved Sharpe all over the place in order to get him free, and even though everybody knew he was the only weapon he still caught 100 balls. Holmgren wants to do the same for Branch.
I'll say it again - Holmgren has too much pride in his passing offense to allow Branch to be taken out of a game that easily again.

...lack of receptions by Deion Branch, which Holmgren said was a combination of good coverage by Tampa Bay but also a lack of creativity in the offensive scheme. Holmgren vowed to draw up some things that will get Branch more receptions because zero us unacceptable, Holmgren said, taking the blame.

One thing that Holmgren likely will be watching intently is tonight's game between Arizona and San Francisco because with the Cardinals having a new coach there is a learning curve the Seahawks will have regarding their division opponent. Holmgren used as an analogy his team in Green Bay with Sterling Sharpe, the team's only receiver, Holmgren said. They moved Sharpe all over the place in order to get him free, and even though everybody knew he was the only weapon he still caught 100 balls. Holmgren wants to do the same for Branch.
:shrug: Please let this be true, Please let this be true

Holmgren is taking the blame for Branch not getting a catch, As a Branch owner, this is pure gold. No more 0 on my MFL Gameday

I think Holmgren is playing a little cat and mouse with the media here...he got a comfortable lead against a team that was having trouble moving the ball...especially after Caddy and Garcia exited the game.

There was no need to pass.

I think Holmgren is playing a little cat and mouse with the media here...he got a comfortable lead against a team that was having trouble moving the ball...especially after Caddy and Garcia exited the game.There was no need to pass.
The thing is, though, that Holmgren LOVES to pass. He wants to have a big-time passing attack. It's a source of pride for him. And having traded Darrell Jackson away, he wants to prove that bringing in Branch and making him the No. 1 WR were both the right moves to make. Holmgren is a very good head coach in my opinion but he also has a tremendously huge ego. It will become a pride thing with him to make sure Branch puts up good numbers this season so he will start coming up with ways to get him the ball. Count on it.

Users who are viewing this thread