What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delightfully Odd Music (1 Viewer)

Sand

Footballguy
First suggestion I get when writing this title is requesting a music sub forum because there are too many music threads. Well, oops. :lmao: Frankly I have no idea if this is repeated elsewhere (though I haven't seen it).

As I've grown older part of my music tastes have...uhhh... broadened. I find most of today's music to be banal in the extreme and am always on the lookout for the bands in the interstices that do things a bit differently. Not surprisingly new good stuff is hard to find as this isn't Beyonce I'm listening to. Some decent examples off the top of my head:

DeVotchka (violins, sousaphones, etc.)
Cosmo Sheldrake (all over the map - wonderful stuff)
The Claypool Lennon Delerium (these guys are definitely tilted - love 'em)
The Bass Singers of Tik Tok (Seriously, might be the best song of 2022)

What else is out there that's different (and good)? I'd love to sample others. Maybe this thing rolls off as no one listens to this stuff. That's ok, I realize that I may not be all there anymore.

When I saw your thread title Cosmo Sheldrake was the first artist that came to mind. Glad to see him on your list.

I don’t have much modern to offer (which seems to what this thread is after), but I’ve been into stuff from 60s and 70s from West Africa and Brazil lately, as folks that took part in the worldwide countdown could attest (my current avatar is Jorge Ben Jor for the artist countdown). It sounds familiar, but also different at the same time, as the results are a bit of a mashup of western rock with regional influences.

If that area is of interest, some that appeared on my worldwide countdown list that could be starting points… William Onyeabor for Africa (see also Allah Wakbarr from Ofo the Black Company)…. Jorge Ben Jor or Os Mutantes for Brazil.

The Hu is another band that is kind of weird that i like. It is a Mongolian hard rock band.

Oh wow, that was a trip. Enthralling video and music, dunno what the heck to make of it but it's pinballing around in my head.

How strange, how strange

The Hu is another band that is kind of weird that i like. It is a Mongolian hard rock band.

Oh wow, that was a trip. Enthralling video and music, dunno what the heck to make of it but it's pinballing around in my head.

How strange, how strange

They have a 2-3 english songs as well, although the majority are in Mongolian.

One inherent problem with “odd” music is it can take a few listens to “get it” and we can lack patience.

Not sure I’d call this delightful. But it’s certainly odd. And while it definitely takes patience, it just might be genius. Rest assured, I bet you’ve never heard anything like it before (unless you’ve heard it before). And it’s just a guy with a guitar. And a message.

Ren - Hi Ren

If you stick with it until the end. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Tagging @rockaction

Last edited:
We stumbled upon some cool interactive computer games for kids, and this one was my middle son's favorite when he was about 2-3 years old. I almost had the PA announcer at his last college home baseball game change his walk-up song to this.

When my daughter discovered webkinz years after the craze had passed, she got the one that this song came with.

FWIW, both songs are on my Spotify favorites list and do indeed pop up from time to time.

I'm not allowed Youtube at work, but when I get home tonight my wife will surely be thanking you all for subjecting her to these suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Odd yet somehow familiar.

One inherent problem with “odd” music is it can take a few listens to “get it” and we can lack patience.

Not sure I’d call this delightful. But it’s certainly odd. And while it definitely takes patience, it just might be genius. Rest assured, I bet you’ve never heard anything like it before (unless you’ve heard it before). And it’s just a guy with a guitar. And a message.

Ren - Hi Ren

If you stick with it until the end. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Tagging @rockaction
I listened to it a couple times. It's interesting. And good. Probably not something I go back to for repeated listens though.

Ren - Hi Ren

Speaking of one guy with a guitar - Andy McKee is pretty damn awesome and worth a listen.

Ren - Hi Ren

Deserves it's own response. I thought it was brilliant. Instantly captivating. Even a bit spiritual at the end (unexpectedly, but very effectively). I'd go see this dude in concert.

While I'm thinking Delightfully Odd - this is a good one. 12 minutes of awesomeness.

I'll also throw this one in there just for the bonkers video, though the music isn't exactly odd

Ren - Hi Ren

Deserves it's own response. I thought it was brilliant. Instantly captivating. Even a bit spiritual at the end (unexpectedly, but very effectively). I'd go see this dude in concert.

This piece (not sure I’d call it a song) might be one of the best pieces of musical art to capture (viscerally) the concept of belief vs. doubt, hope vs. despair. In my opinion of course.

Sorry for the link, my mobile app won’t let me use the text features for some reason.

One of my most favorite obscure songs ever:

I wouldn’t call this song odd but the rest of his catalog is bluegrass type stuff that most people wouldn't care for but I love it.

I listened to it. I initially thought the same thing as his critical voice that he presents did -- even down to the artist and the twist he gives that artist's voice. But for him to switch up and reveal himself later takes the song out of any sort of rip-off territory and into ownership of the art.

I think anybody that has dealt with mental illness or even cognitive therapy knows that voice, or that aspect of himself that he speaks of. It's a wicked one sent from something that seems to be beyond the natural and beyond the rational. It actually saddened me to hear that voice knowing that I still do that to myself. The defeat of that voice must have taken him years of therapy to do. That's what amazes me about the song. So his singing at about 6:20 of the video was surprising. So much talent in the service of the good voice.

I will say I'm not sure about what he's trying to convey when he starts delving into mysticism -- whether it is religiously inspired, or just a world outlook, and that's where I got a little lost. But I could relate to the more visceral aspects of the song rather than the end, which seems to have edified you in some way. And to that I say -- great! That's what great art does.

Thanks for posting. That'll start the day off interestingly -- for sure.

This could easily turn into one of my favorite threads.
I'm glad to hear that. I always worry that when I post a new thread (rare) that it will get the collective :rolleyes: and float down into oblivion.

Last edited:
Sigur Ros might fall into this definition. I'm digging deep into them for the next middle aged dummy draft. Here is how they might qualify.

- Sing in either Icelandic or a made up gibberish language
- Falsetto lead vocals.
- plays guitar with a cello bow.
- Have an album named () with all untitled tracks.

Delightfully odd is a great description for them. I find most of their music incredibly beautiful.

Sorry for the link, my mobile app won’t let me use the text features for some reason.

One of my most favorite obscure songs ever:

I wouldn’t call this song odd but the rest of his catalog is bluegrass type stuff that most people wouldn't care for but I love it.
Not sure how to interpret your last sentence. If you're saying you like bluegrass, my favorite bluegrass band, the Seldom Scene, were pioneers of in turning non-bluegrass songs into bluegrass songs. Granted, this was the 70's, but the songs they covered were Hello Mary Lou, After Midnight, Lay Down Sally and City of New Orleans. They called such songs "Acidgrass".

I like odd music, Charly Bliss, Telethon, Harley Poe, Illuminati Hotties, Dollar signs are some of the first bands that come to mind that I think fit the bill.

I liked Devendra Banhart back in the day. I would never attend a show or anything like that, but some of the music was enjoyable in a bizarre folk way.

I listened to it. I initially thought the same thing as his critical voice that he presents did -- even down to the artist and the twist he gives that artist's voice. But for him to switch up and reveal himself later takes the song out of any sort of rip-off territory and into ownership of the art.

I think anybody that has dealt with mental illness or even cognitive therapy knows that voice, or that aspect of himself that he speaks of. It's a wicked one sent from something that seems to be beyond the natural and beyond the rational. It actually saddened me to hear that voice knowing that I still do that to myself. The defeat of that voice must have taken him years of therapy to do. That's what amazes me about the song. So his singing at about 6:20 of the video was surprising. So much talent in the service of the good voice.

I will say I'm not sure about what he's trying to convey when he starts delving into mysticism -- whether it is religiously inspired, or just a world outlook, and that's where I got a little lost. But I could relate to the more visceral aspects of the song rather than the end, which seems to have edified you in some way. And to that I say -- great! That's what great art does.

Thanks for posting. That'll start the day off interestingly -- for sure.

I knew you would have a super interesting take on this song. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that the third act is a little too on the nose and expositional, but it sort of brought the thing home for me as you note.

I knew you would have a super interesting take on this song. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that the third act is a little too on the nose and expositional, but it sort of brought the thing home for me as you note.

Aw, thanks. But I think you're the one that had the more interesting take. What was it about the hope/despair and belief/doubt aspects of it that moved you? I wasn't as able to concretely identify what in the song spoke to that. I think I just sort of gathered the obvious from it.

I don’t know exactly how odd this is, but Ince ince by selda bagcan, a Turkish folk singer from the 70s and beyond, cam across my radar when sample by oh no, then mos def and celph titled. I like that track the best, but her other songs are interesting to me when I’m in the mood. Definitely a distinctive voice and sound.

This is the song I immediately thought of when I saw this thread. System of a Down has some bizarre tracks, but nothing quite like this and I can't get enough of their absurdity.

System of a Down has some bizarre tracks

I told this story in Genrepalooza, but I'll repeat it here. I was driving one day back from work in D.C. to Maryland and "Sugar" came on. I pulled into my local gas station because I was so intrigued by the sound that System was pumping through the radio airwaves. I'd never heard anything like it on the air. I just sat there for a minute, jaw agape, while Serj screamed "sugar" in that voice of his. The song you linked to doesn't surprise me in the least. Very SOAD. Serj is one of the best frontmen ever, redefining what it meant to be a metal frontman.

And I just got righteously angry watching a retweet of Serj's about American pop stars lending legitimacy to autocratic states in Eurasia and Asia. Disgusting. J-Lo singing "Happy Birthday" to the Azerbaijan autocrat, Kanye making nice in Kazakhstan, and Gerard Depardieu playing footsie in Uzbekistan.

Is the money all worth it? The human suffering? I guess so.

Too Many Zoos is some guys I remembered from the subway in NYC, you can still find their subway performances on YouTube.

They are original.

Ren - Hi Ren

Ren dropped a new video a couple days ago. I'd totally go see this dude in concert.

Users who are viewing this thread