What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Demario Davis (1 Viewer)

Whoosah

Footballguy
I am in an 12 team 0.5 PPR+IDP dynasty and we finished our rookie draft. I had the last pick in the draft and Mr. Irrelevant turns out to be Demario Davis.

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this guy and if he has any potential that I got a steal in the draft or if he's just hype and all bust.

too early to Tell Rex likes him FWIW

He's still probably at least a year away unless the cut Bart Scott. Reports from OTAs are good. I picked him up in a couple leagues as well and plan on letting him sit on my Taxi Squad for now. I doubt he makes an impact as a rookie so if that is what you're looking for its not too likely IMO.

Toward the end of the 7/5 Audible, the seemed to be general support to the idea of not leaving a draft without Demario Davis (among several others).

What is that based upon?

Even if Davis eventually wins a starting role replacing Bart Scott, that SILB position doesn't appear to be the prime scoring position in that 3-4.

Do you foresee Davis pulling a Bowman at SILB, replacing Harris at WILB, or some eventual move to a 4-3 scheme as a MLB?

Toward the end of the 7/5 Audible, the seemed to be general support to the idea of not leaving a draft without Demario Davis (among several others).What is that based upon?Even if Davis eventually wins a starting role replacing Bart Scott, that SILB position doesn't appear to be the prime scoring position in that 3-4.Do you foresee Davis pulling a Bowman at SILB, replacing Harris at WILB, or some eventual move to a 4-3 scheme as a MLB?
Davis is still something of a project, but he's a violent downhill player who projects well enough in coverage to hold an every-down job (the Jets are already hoping he'll be able to contribute in subpackages this year) and he has some pass rush upside, too. I think he could fit at either ILB position, but the best lineup may well be Harris SILB/Davis WILB if Davis hits his ceiling.Also, as you note, this isn't a situation to get hung up on the WILB/SILB distinction. The most important distinction is every-down v non-every-down. Davis could easily be good enough to put up LB2 numbers in an every-down SILB role.

Very good sign that Rex Ryan trusted him against New England's offense. There's still no guarantee he sees any base defensive snaps until 2013 and he struggled with angles and awareness at times yesterday, so I'm trying to temper my on-going man crush. But I still think there's LB3++ upside in the longer term.

Very Good article on Demario Davis. (Not very long Article)http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084648/article/ignore-the-spin-new-york-jets-benched-bart-scott?campaign=Twitter_atlPoint is this kid is slowly going to get more snaps. He plays very fast. And I think he is a better fit then Bart Scott. I got him for a Mid 2nd Rnd Pick in my 32 team Dyn league. Basically a no 50-70 OVerall Rookie Pick) And glad I did. :)
I picked him up on a hunch and because of the way he stuffed the hole and killed Ridley on Sunday. What do u guys think the snap count will be here on out?

Very Good article on Demario Davis. (Not very long Article)http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084648/article/ignore-the-spin-new-york-jets-benched-bart-scott?campaign=Twitter_atlPoint is this kid is slowly going to get more snaps. He plays very fast. And I think he is a better fit then Bart Scott. I got him for a Mid 2nd Rnd Pick in my 32 team Dyn league. Basically a no 50-70 OVerall Rookie Pick) And glad I did. :)
I picked him up on a hunch and because of the way he stuffed the hole and killed Ridley on Sunday. What do u guys think the snap count will be here on out?
Word is that Scott may sit this week due to injury. That would leave Davis with a nice opportunity to show his stuff in base packages this week.http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/dislocated_big_toe_keeping_scott_5rD4REkR1NlcafGSBIjpkL

If Bart Scott is ruled out and Davis is made an every-down (?) LB this week, would anyone be tempted to start the promising rookie in a favorable matchup against Miami over McCarthy and Angerer? I'm considering it.

Last edited by a moderator:
he had 69 snaps to scott's 9 last week, so he pretty much already got the opportunity.

I'd probably start him over those 2 just because those other guys are pretty sketchy.

Just saw this posted at NJ.com

1. Demario Davis: Quite possibly the most productive draft pick from the 2012 class so far, Demario Davis is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker whose presence on the field is becoming a must for the Jets defense. Again, he played in almost every defensive and special teams snap and still made plays like these: In the second quarter with 14:55 to go, the Dolphins on the Jets’ 2-yard line in a Jumbo set, Davis immediately sniffs out he handoff to Daniel Thomas and stuffs him a yard in the backfield with help from Josh Bush. On the touchdown run two plays later, Miami runs to the opposite side of where Davis is lined up. Don’t think that’s a coincidence at this point.

Kid is legit. Dyn owners better be buying now. It might even be too late.

'jacobo_moses said:
Just saw this posted at NJ.com1. Demario Davis: Quite possibly the most productive draft pick from the 2012 class so far, Demario Davis is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker whose presence on the field is becoming a must for the Jets defense. Again, he played in almost every defensive and special teams snap and still made plays like these: In the second quarter with 14:55 to go, the Dolphins on the Jets’ 2-yard line in a Jumbo set, Davis immediately sniffs out he handoff to Daniel Thomas and stuffs him a yard in the backfield with help from Josh Bush. On the touchdown run two plays later, Miami runs to the opposite side of where Davis is lined up. Don’t think that’s a coincidence at this point.Kid is legit. Dyn owners better be buying now. It might even be too late.
I'm the biggest supporter you'll find of Davis. I think that assessment ignores the fact that Anthony Fasano handled Davis pretty easily for much of the game and too easily dismisses that the Dolphins ran at Davis much more often than not in the first half. Very much liked that Davis played downhill and was decisive, but his low tackle count had much more to do with his difficulty shedding blocks than it did the Dolphins "running away" from him.Still see long-term LB3++ value here, but -- as a comparison -- Colin McCarthy looked much better in his first couple of games as a starter last season than Davis did last week. I'm hoping that Davis gets more playing time whether Scott is healthy or not and that he proves to be valuable before 2013, but I wouldn't anoint him the starter this year yet.

Jene out of curiousity with Demario. Is shedding blocks a problem that has to do with his size (or lack thereof) or more of a product of technique needing to be worked on this year and next?

'jacobo_moses said:

1. Demario Davis: Quite possibly the most productive draft pick from the 2012 class so far, Demario Davis is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker whose presence on the field is becoming a must for the Jets defense. Again, he played in almost every defensive and special teams snap and still made plays like these: In the second quarter with 14:55 to go, the Dolphins on the Jets’ 2-yard line in a Jumbo set, Davis immediately sniffs out he handoff to Daniel Thomas and stuffs him a yard in the backfield with help from Josh Bush. On the touchdown run two plays later, Miami runs to the opposite side of where Davis is lined up. Don’t think that’s a coincidence at this point.

I'm the biggest supporter you'll find of Davis. I think that assessment ignores the fact that Anthony Fasano handled Davis pretty easily for much of the game and too easily dismisses that the Dolphins ran at Davis much more often than not in the first half. Very much liked that Davis played downhill and was decisive, but his low tackle count had much more to do with his difficulty shedding blocks than it did the Dolphins "running away" from him.Still see long-term LB3++ value here, but -- as a comparison -- Colin McCarthy looked much better in his first couple of games as a starter last season than Davis did last week. I'm hoping that Davis gets more playing time whether Scott is healthy or not and that he proves to be valuable before 2013, but I wouldn't anoint him the starter this year yet.
Can't this be a product of him being a Rookie too though? Isn't some growing pains to be expected. ????

Jene out of curiousity with Demario. Is shedding blocks a problem that has to do with his size (or lack thereof) or more of a product of technique needing to be worked on this year and next?
Weight is sometimes an issue, but hand strength and lower body strength is more specific to the ability to shed blocks. Technique is almost always an issue. Even if the strength is there, knowing how and where to use/place your hands and play with pad level and leverage is another thing entirely.

'jacobo_moses said:

Can't this be a product of him being a Rookie too though? Isn't some growing pains to be expected. ????
Absolutely.

Absolutely.
Anyone have any word on his the snaps he is getting lately?

Users who are viewing this thread