What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DETROIT TIGERS OFFICIAL: We are decent!!!! (1 Viewer)

Surprised that they took Clark over Langford as Langford was the more proven player and a power hitter. Clark took less $ so they were able to get McConigle who wanted more.
Clark described as a rare 5 tool player. When I hear those words I think about Billy Beane and the Moneyball movie. That didn’t work out well.
I wouldn't judge this pick too much on a Hollywood movie. Clark has more speed, a better glove and a better arm. Plus he's a left handed hitter that fits the park. It's a best ball move, not a money ball move.

Carpenter, Torkelson and Greene showing the potential to be a powerful middle of the lineup trio.

Good to see the improvement for Torkelson. Last year was the pits for him
Hoping they don’t deal Lorenzen and get an extension done before the deadline.

Looks like they didn’t check with Rodriguez first to see if a Dodger trade was OK.
Heard that his wife is a Padres fan.

On the face of it appears to be a screwup by Harris.

That being said Harris having to work with two bad Avila contracts for Baez and Rodriguez. A-Rod’s opt out gave him all the cards and Tigers all the risk.

That being said Harris having to work with two bad Avila contracts for Baez and Rodriguez. A-Rod’s opt out gave him all the cards and Tigers all the risk.

So trade him. Get SOMETHING. Now ... they lose an asset for nothing. Huge mistake.

"Andrew Friedman said the Dodgers were surprised that Eduardo Rodriguez vetoed the trade

They hadn’t been directly told he would waive his NTC by the Tigers or ERod’s agent, but they didn’t know it would be an issue until it came time to complete the deal."

--
Sure seems like Harris got caught with his pants down.

Maybe E-Rod won't opt out? Sure, it seems ridiculous, but so does turning down a trade from the Tigers to the Dodgers.
There was all that strangeness last year with E-Rod. He was on an indefinite leave of absence dealing with family issues. Tigers seemed to stand by him.

Maybe, just maybe he would prefer to stay with Detroit. Regardless there were communication problems or unfounded assumptions on the Tigers part.

Maybe E-Rod won't opt out? Sure, it seems ridiculous, but so does turning down a trade from the Tigers to the Dodgers.
There was all that strangeness last year with E-Rod. He was on an indefinite leave of absence dealing with family issues. Tigers seemed to stand by him.

Maybe, just maybe he would prefer to stay with Detroit. Regardless there were communication problems or unfounded assumptions on the Tigers part.

I heard on The Ticket this morning that he likes it here. Maybe he likes pitching in non-stressful games.

If he stays next three years he will have made 77 million in Detroit. Not counting he has already made around 28 million before he came. That seem like enough to scrape by on.

We need Baez to opt out!

I heard on The Ticket this morning that he likes it here. Maybe he likes pitching in non-stressful games.

If he stays next three years he will have made 77 million in Detroit. Not counting he has already made around 28 million before he came. That seem like enough to scrape by on.

We need Baez to opt out!
Just watched the post game where they asked E-Rod a bunch about the whole trade thing. He seemed evasive but at the same time said "stay here" a half dozen times, always mentioning his family.

Austin Meadows has played 42 games as a Tiger. Isaac Parades has hit 40 homers as a Ray. :wall:
Get the sense Avila got snookered. Players have to pass physical exams to validate a trade but how do mental health issues get evaluated?

On paper it seemed like a good deal as Meadows just came off a very solid season.

The Rays had to know something was up as they don`t trade away cheap young players. That is how they build their teams.

Listening to a National BB Show today and they were talking about Cabrera vs Verlander, and then how bad the Tigers got fleeced in the Verlander trade.

Then they started talking about Cabrera, or how bad he has been. One guy said he can`t remember any star/HOF type of player who has had a worse 7 years to finish his career.

Miggy has only 64 HRs, 315 RBIs, 225 runs score and an OPS that went from a high of 1078, low of 887 before the last 7 years. Since the OPS has been low 700s, and last few years in the low 600s. Also been a minus WAR player last 7 years with a high of .02.

It was hard to believe that as a great of hitter he once was the last 7 years he has a WAR of a bench player.

Last edited:
This team needs an influx of offense in the worst way. Their record with an early lead is good as could be expected. Holten has shown promise out of the bullpen.
I really thought winning a series vs the Yankees would have really got the momentum back.

It’s just a solid team with three potential stars. They are better than I thought they’d be, but I’m still skeptical.
I think the franchise needs Casey Mize to be something, even a solid #3 starter. Skubal is a #2 and possible borderline ace. Manning seems to be a solid 4/5 and Erod might actually be back based on how he’s said the Tigers have treated him. If Mize can be good, that really brings the room together like the carpet on Big Lebowski.

Rant over, Go Tigers!

This team needs an influx of offense in the worst way. Their record with an early lead is good as could be expected. Holten has shown promise out of the bullpen.
I really thought winning a series vs the Yankees would have really got the momentum back.

It’s just a solid team with three potential stars. They are better than I thought they’d be, but I’m still skeptical.
I think the franchise needs Casey Mize to be something, even a solid #3 starter. Skubal is a #2 and possible borderline ace. Manning seems to be a solid 4/5 and Erod might actually be back based on how he’s said the Tigers have treated him. If Mize can be good, that really brings the room together like the carpet on Big Lebowski.

Rant over, Go Tigers!
Erod would give them an innings eater at the least, these other guys have to get to the 7th inning once in the while to save the bullpen.

Miggy now tied with George Brett in the hit column.

Really think that if Miggy had taken care of his body and worked on his conditioning like say a guy like Albert Pujols he would be top 10 all time in hits and HRs.

Good night for Detroit fans. Tork with another 2 bomb night at Yankees where Tigers haven’t won for several years.

Rant over, Go Tigers!
Erod would give them an innings eater at the least, these other guys have to get to the 7th inning once in the while to save the bullpen.

Miggy now tied with George Brett in the hit column.

Really think that if Miggy had taken care of his body and worked on his conditioning like say a guy like Albert Pujols he would be top 10 all time in hits and HRs.
They will finally move on after this season. He held their development back 2--3 years so ownership could sell tickets.

Parades will end up with a 30-100 season for the Rays and just turned 24.

That trade stings a little. Would be a nice addition at 3B for the Kitties.

Ironic as the Tigers have had so much trouble finding a third baseman. Hopefully Harris can turn around this runaway bus.

dr Detroit is the ultimate glass is half full guy with the Tigers, I know.

I really enjoyed this season, hard to believe loving a team 10 games below .500 right?

Tarik Skubal is a legit #2 pitcher. He’s got an amazing arsenal, he’s young, and he’s a lefty. We got a gem here.

Kerry carpenter is a professional hitter. He’s not the next Kirk Gibson but he’s a perfectionist who treats hitting like a math problem. He’s a longterm solution at DH imo, he’s a 270/390/530 upside guy.

I don’t care much about the bullpen names and this is an area needing improving, but they did very well as a unit this year.

Jake Rogers! Well above average defense and 25 homers? Maybe 30 homers? All in!

Casey Mize is still a franchise piece, we need him to be a #3 or at worst, an innings eater.

No idea about Erod, not going there. Tork is a beast, I’m praying for our franchise jewel in Greene, to get well soon. He’s a WAR monster, just needs to not Jill himself. He’s 22, let’s get him to 30 please.

Love the Max Clarke pick, relax on Langford until we see five years of production. Willie Calhoun was also the next Babe Ruth.

Manning is snake bitten, Jackson Jobe will be playing in the Arizona Fall League, and some of Avila’s prospects are working out.

Solid B season

Last edited:

Ironic as the Tigers have had so much trouble finding a third baseman. Hopefully Harris can turn around this runaway bus.
Our #1 prospect (top 15 in mlb) Colt Keith will have every opportunity to be the starter at 3B next season. He’s very mature for his age (22), and has a good head for the game. He also mashes baseballs, and he’s gonna hit. Very high floor player, he’ll be around awhile.

I guess there’s reason to be optimistic but think we need a legit Ace and a Superstar bat (don’t think it’s Tork or Green but they both seem like 10+ year starters)

Honestly didn’t watch much and haven’t followed farm closely, so maybe we’re better off than I think

This division is generally weak though so possible we could contend next year

Think it’s time for Chris to open the pocketbook as well for some quality FA, although gonna need some money in a few years for our guys

+12 games from last year going from 66 to 78 wins. If they can get into the mid 80s it might be enough to win the division. As mentioned they could use another bat and maybe another arm. Miggys money being off the books so no excuses for the owner and GM to not step it up.

I think they need to give Skubal a six year contract or thereabouts. Buy his last two years of arbitration ($2.1 mill for next year), and give him 6/$70m or so.

A nice article in The Athletic on Casey Mize.

The dude has been through a lot with injuries, but still seems to have a good, positive attitude about his future.

Being the #1 overall pick will always put a spotlight on you, so his struggles have been magnified.

I hope he puts it together and has a good career.

So I was doing some reading. Jace Jung and Colt Keith could be opening day starters. Keith is expected to be, but who is blocking Jung? Vierling? Not likely, and unless they sign a DH bat like Jorge Soler, they’ll need a DH anyway.

Meadows, canha, Greene, carpenter OF/DH rotation looks great. Be above average defensively at every position if carp is at DH.

Jung and Keith are big bats, but neither are great in the field. But I’d be surprised if one if not both hit right away. Plus the farm has more guys coming, I hope my tempered optimism works out. Was fooled two years ago.

The pitching is the key though and it starts with the ace Skubal. Some have him as a cy contender, so let’s go! Mize is the difference in the staff being good or just meh. Maeda was a really smart addition imo and Manning, Olsen, Faedo, and Gipson-Long fighting for spots. Lots of good bullpen arms and Hinch manages his bullpen quite well imo.

Think the season comes down to the starters and then the young guys like Keith or Jung providing a spark, and for Greene and Tork to continue to progress while staying healthy.

$tanley Cup Enterprises recommends OVER 81.5 wins

Matt Chapman signs with the Giants for 3/$54 with a player opt-out after each of the first two seasons. That's so freaking annoying.

I've been on the sign Chapman bandwagon for a year. But I thought it was unrealistic because it would take $100mm. But now knowing it was only 3/$54 or maybe even 1/$18? Ugh. WHY DIDN'T THE TIGERS MOVE ON THAT?

(I realize maybe they did and he had no interest. But players usually go to the highest money offer)

Projected opening day lineup according to fangraphs:

Parker Meadows CF
Riley Greene RF
Spencer Torkelson 1B
Kerry Carpenter DH
Mark Canha LF
Colt Keith 2B
Javier Baez SS
Gio Urshela 3B
Jake Rogers C

Bench
Carson Kelly
Andy Ibanez
Zach McKinstry
Matt Viierling

Projected SP rotation:

Tarik Skubal L
Kenta Maeda R
Jack Flaherty R
Casey Mize R
Reese Olson R

Bullpen:

Alex Lange R
Jason Foley R
Shelby Miller R
Andrew Chafin L
Beau Brieske R
Tyler Holton L
Joey Wentz L
Alex Faedo R

manning looked like he turned a corner this spring. as a 6th SP, you could do a lot worse. i actually like this staff more than the mets. baez and urshela are teh suck though.

manning looked like he turned a corner this spring. as a 6th SP, you could do a lot worse. i actually like this staff more than the mets. baez and urshela are teh suck though.
There was some talk of going to a 6 man rotation. If not, Manning makes for a good plug in case of the inevitable SP injury that these guys usually get.

Last edited:

Yeah I can’t believe an MLB team is willingly rostering let alone starting Urshela

On MLB Network it was mentioned that this is the first year without Cabrera since 2007. Out of curiosity I looked up the roster at baseball-reference.

Not a bad team, 88 wins--finished second to Cleveland.

One of the oldest teams I can recall seeing. Granderson was the only regular under 30. I-Rod was 35, Ordonez 33, and Sheffield was 38. They also had two pitchers over 40 in Jose Mesa and Kenny Rogers, as well as a 39 year old Todd Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread