What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Detroit - where to dine (1 Viewer)

MAC_32

Footballguy
Going to a wedding Saturday, wife and I are meeting up with the mayhem Friday but are looking for a good place to dine beforehand. Must have tv for the draft, preferably audio, but not a must. Hanging out in Romeo, hotel is in Utica, coming from Ohio, where should we go?

Going to a wedding Saturday, wife and I are meeting up with the mayhem Friday but are looking for a good place to dine beforehand. Must have tv for the draft, preferably audio, but not a must. Hanging out in Romeo, hotel is in Utica, coming from Ohio, where should we go?
Romeo and Utica aren't that close to Detroit. Utica will be about a 40 minute drive, you want actual Detroit or something near Utica?

Romeo and Utica aren't that close to Detroit. Utica will be about a 40 minute drive, you want actual Detroit or something near Utica?
we are coming from ohio, so just not near downtown. Not sure if we are meeting our crowd in Romeo or Utica, depends on traffic. Anywhere north and east of Ann Arbor and north and west of Detroit really. Local preference to chains. I know Ann Arbor, just think we ahould be closer to the northern burbs if we are drinking.

I would recommend Slows Bar-B-Q in Detroit. They have really solid barbecue, great mac and cheese, a variety of housemade barbecue sauces, and a great draft beer list. They also have lots of TVs that would be great for watching the draft. They do special events for Lions/Tigers/Red Wings games, so it is definitely set up for watching sports events. It's one of my favorite places to eat in Detroit.

http://slowsbarbq.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
we are coming from ohio, so just not near downtown. Not sure if we are meeting our crowd in Romeo or Utica, depends on traffic. Anywhere north and east of Ann Arbor and north and west of Detroit really. Local preference to chains. I know Ann Arbor, just think we ahould be closer to the northern burbs if we are drinking.
I don't go Eastside so I don't know anything about Romeo or Utica area. If you want to eat in Detroit: Slows BBQ or Roast (Iron Chef Michael Simon's spot) are very good. Neither will have the draft on. If you want to watch the draft with sound, google BWs. I feel confused as to what you want. Bar? Type of restaurants?

A good local bar restaurant would be perfect.

Love Roast, but not what we are looking for nor the location.

You could shoot down M59 from where you're at and hit Clubhouse BFD. If you like craft beer, they have an insane selection. Food menu is pretty good, but the appeal here is mainly the beer selection.

You could also shoot down M59 from Utica and get off at Rochester Road and continue north into downtown Rochester. Various restaurants to choose from there.

I'm guessing, staying in Utica, that you are staying at M59/Hall Road and the VanDyke Expressway. If you don't feel like going far, your hotel is probably close to if not in the same parking lot as Red Ox which has TVs and food/drink (more of a chain like restaurant/tavern).

Plenty of chain restaurants along the nightmare that is Hall Road too.

I hear there are more fast food restaurants per resident in Detroit than anywhere else in the world :thumbup:
Terrific input LHUCKS. :thumbup:
You got an axe to grind? You appear angry.
Not really LHUCKS, just have been watching you do this to every Detroit thread for ten years. I'm used to it now, but it's a shame you are back at FBG.
Petty jokes from a petty man. LHUCKS comments are baseless and require minimal thought, no surprise coming from you. You know who calls me LHUCKS? MoP, Drummer, & you... Sweet bucket to be in :thumbup:

Flights to your beloved Detroit are about 3x anywhere else in the country during the week, you know why? I'm sure you can put it together.

I hear there are more fast food restaurants per resident in Detroit than anywhere else in the world :thumbup:
Not really LHUCKS, just have been watching you do this to every Detroit thread for ten years. I'm used to it now, but it's a shame you are back at FBG.
Petty jokes from a petty man. LHUCKS comments are baseless and require minimal thought, no surprise coming from you. You know who calls me LHUCKS? MoP, Drummer, & you... Sweet bucket to be in :thumbup:

Flights to your beloved Detroit are about 3x anywhere else in the country during the week, you know why? I'm sure you can put it together.
What? That's not even close to right. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Flight from BWI to Detroit leaving Tuesday and returning Friday is $285, it's $375 to Chicago, $600 to JFK.

You just moved to the top of the moron list, congrats.

Petty jokes from a petty man. LHUCKS comments are baseless and require minimal thought, no surprise coming from you. You know who calls me LHUCKS? MoP, Drummer, & you... Sweet bucket to be in :thumbup: Flights to your beloved Detroit are about 3x anywhere else in the country during the week, you know why? I'm sure you can put it together.
What? That's not even close to right. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Flight from BWI to Detroit leaving Tuesday and returning Friday is $285, it's $375 to Chicago, $600 to JFK. You just moved to the top of the moron list, congrats.
Flew round trip nonstop to Detroit for one day about 2 months ago... It was $1,100.

Regardless, happy to be at the top of your moron list, truly is an honor :thumbup: Do I get a trophy? Maybe my own little short bus?

If you are bored on Saturday Morning, I'll be watching an amazing HS Track Invite starting at 10am very close to where you are going to be (Macomb Dakota 23 Mile & Card Rd). As for a bar, there is a Dave and Busters at Van Dyke HWY and M-59 that I am guessing may be close to where you are staying. PM if you are interested in the meet, its a 10am to 5pm affair so I'll be there all day. AND, if you need a place to run, Stoney Creek is just up the road and is an amazing place to run.

The Granite City Brewery in Troy and any number of places in Royal Oak might be what you are looking for.

So basically you don't know how to use the search function at Expedia. Is that what you are telling me?

Utica

If you're in Utica go to Red Ox for the draft. If you're in the mood for pizza hit up Tivoli's Wood Brick Oven Pizza. Shamrock Pub has a GREAT burger and after dinner head to hatchy's right next door for the draft. Bad Brads is good for BBQ.

Romeo

Your best bet is Art and Jakes Sports Grill. Thee Office Pub is good too but not for watchign the draft.

If you're looking for something with a more class Louis' Chop House in Chesterfield.

I

So basically you don't know how to use the search function at Expedia. Is that what you are telling me?
It appears to be the opposite here... What really cracks me up is how you can take such a small little jab and get so offended by it.

Just a petty dude.

It appears to be the opposite here... What really cracks me up is how you can take such a small little jab and get so offended by it.

Just a petty dude.
Is this your apology for the initial comment that was factually incorrect? Doesn't seem all that sincere.

Al Czervik said:
I'm guessing, staying in Utica, that you are staying at M59/Hall Road and the VanDyke Expressway.
Correct, the Staybridge Suites.

So...fight hunger pains until we get to the north side and stop at Clubhouse BFD because that place looks freakin great.

There is a post rehearsal dinner party Friday at Thee Office in Romeo, sucks that's not a good place for the draft, but maybe we'll conveniently show up a little late or bow out a little early and head over to Jake's.

Any of you guys know how easy is it to find a cab around Utica? A burger at Shamrock one night, pizza at Tivoli's the other, then getting sauced at Hatchy's looks more up our wheelhouse than Red Ox, but looking at the map even if we wanted to take the mile-mile and a half drunk stumble there really isn't a way to go.

2young, my wife and I are running Saturday morning before the wedding. My guess is her inevitable hangover doesn't allow us to get to Stoney Creek in time and we just run around Utica, but that place looks awesome. I'll push her to get up early enough for us to head up there. Early afternoon wedding, so probably not enough time to head over to Macomb unfortunately.

I don't know a ton about the east side, but cabs can be hard to find even within the city limits of Detroit

Where you're at you'll definitely want to call ahead for a cab, but you should at least be able to get one to come out

Call in a reservation at Clubhouse BFD. Place is busy.

And allow time in your schedule for calling a cab like Dan said (you might have to wait a little for one to arrive).

Hanging in downtown Utica at Hatchy's is a good option for your location.

2young, my wife and I are running Saturday morning before the wedding. My guess is her inevitable hangover doesn't allow us to get to Stoney Creek in time and we just run around Utica, but that place looks awesome. I'll push her to get up early enough for us to head up there. Early afternoon wedding, so probably not enough time to head over to Macomb unfortunately.
If you don't want to go that far, Dodge Park is a closer alternative and you can pick up the Clinton River Trail: https://www.sterling-heights.net/bins/site/templates/default.asp?menu_imagesetid=1&area_2=pages/gov/citydepts/parksrec/cityparks/dodge+park.dat&area_1=pages/nav/gov/citydepts/parksrec/cityparks.dat&area_3=0.dat&area_0=0.dat&area_8=0.dat&objectid=B1AA392E0&ml_index=11&NC=2348X If you do get to Stoney, there is a perfect 10K paved loop. Park at the boat launch (You can get directions at the gate). I prefer running the MTB trails. Its an easy 5+ miles around the outside, or you can really punish yourself by cutting the middle with the hard loops (they'll have maps at the gate).

A reservation would probably be better anyway as if my procrastinating wife knows we need to be some place at a particular time that will both get her in gear and it will also serve as a good excuse to spend as little time at my parents as possible when we drop off the little ones.

As long as a cab is an option this crowd won't care how long it takes them to get there. Always time for another fireball.

If you don't want to go that far, Dodge Park is a closer alternative and you can pick up the Clinton River Trail: https://www.sterling-heights.net/bins/site/templates/default.asp?menu_imagesetid=1&area_2=pages/gov/citydepts/parksrec/cityparks/dodge+park.dat&area_1=pages/nav/gov/citydepts/parksrec/cityparks.dat&area_3=0.dat&area_0=0.dat&area_8=0.dat&objectid=B1AA392E0&ml_index=11&NC=2348X If you do get to Stoney, there is a perfect 10K paved loop. Park at the boat launch (You can get directions at the gate). I prefer running the MTB trails. Its an easy 5+ miles around the outside, or you can really punish yourself by cutting the middle with the hard loops (they'll have maps at the gate).
I'll keep that plan B to myself and just send her info on Stoney Creek. The 10K would be perfect as we were looking at 6 or 7 low and slow miles that day, my guess is given our state we will pass on the punishment but if we wake up surprisingly gearing to go it's good to know there are options.

fantasycurse42 said:
My wife and kids are flying round trip from Portland to Detroit in June for $450 per ticket. Southwest. Detroit is a big area of the country and not all of it is Somalia. Some of the nicest people in the world live there. I've never had a bad time in Detroit and I've probably been 15 times since 2008. :shrug:

Al Czervik said:
You could shoot down M59 from where you're at and hit Clubhouse BFD. If you like craft beer, they have an insane selection. Food menu is pretty good, but the appeal here is mainly the beer selection.

You could also shoot down M59 from Utica and get off at Rochester Road and continue north into downtown Rochester. Various restaurants to choose from there.

I'm guessing, staying in Utica, that you are staying at M59/Hall Road and the VanDyke Expressway. If you don't feel like going far, your hotel is probably close to if not in the same parking lot as Red Ox which has TVs and food/drink (more of a chain like restaurant/tavern).

I'll 2nd the Red Ox... good place...

fantasycurse42 said:
My wife and kids are flying round trip from Portland to Detroit in June for $450 per ticket. Southwest. Detroit is a big area of the country and not all of it is Somalia. Some of the nicest people in the world live there. I've never had a bad time in Detroit and I've probably been 15 times since 2008. :shrug:
:hifive:

Although the fact you've never let me buy you a beer when you're here outrages me.

Call in a reservation at Clubhouse BFD. Place is busy.

And allow time in your schedule for calling a cab like Dan said (you might have to wait a little for one to arrive).

Hanging in downtown Utica at Hatchy's is a good option for your location.
Uber is your friend.

fantasycurse42 said:

Although the fact you've never let me buy you a beer when you're here outrages me.
Let's fix that. I'm flying in on the 13th and staying until the 23rd. I'll probably try and get a rental car so I am not at the mercy of other drivers. We're way out in Lake Orion, but perhaps we can get lunch during the week somewhere convenient for all. Dr. D? You around? I'll ping Sofa and see what he's up to...

fantasycurse42 said:
Nonstop flight on any airline besides spirit is at least $750... To get the times you want, easily $1,000 - $1,200. This is for a sub 2 hour flight.

Any weekday flight, airlines are well aware if you are flying to Detroit during the week, you're going only for business.

Detroit is awesome, no point arguing this.

Let's fix that. I'm flying in on the 13th and staying until the 23rd. I'll probably try and get a rental car so I am not at the mercy of other drivers. We're way out in Lake Orion, but perhaps we can get lunch during the week somewhere convenient for all. Dr. D? You around? I'll ping Sofa and see what he's up to...
While I love my home state and the D, it is pricey from NYC since Northwest went #### up and merged with Delta. Used to be decent competition between Delta, NWA and United. Now they've basically ceded the route to Spirit, tough to find deals the last 5 years (although it's more like $275-450 all-in; FC42 is looking at biz fares on short notice).

The boy is coming here next month, I'll be there in August for a week (& Sep & Oct & Nov & Dec for weekend trips).

fantasycurse42 said:

Sweet. I can get away most weekdays for lunch as long as it's near Dearborn. Evenings are hit and miss with softball and my son's baseball... I'm wide open that weekend. Too bad the Tigers are on the road while you're here...

fantasycurse42 said:

I'll be there Memorial Day weekend, think I get there on the 22nd. $70 flight from Baltimore during the week leading up to a holiday weekend. I wonder how I got that?????

fantasycurse42 said:

I'll be there Memorial Day weekend, think I get there on the 22nd. $70 flight from Baltimore during the week leading up to a holiday weekend. I wonder how I got that?????
Did LHUCKS blow the ticket cashier for you?

fantasycurse42 said:

Did LHUCKS blow the ticket cashier for you?
COLD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HOT

Your answer is considered extremely warm according to the above scientific chart. :hifive:

fantasycurse42 said:

BC there is no business being conducted on Memorial Day Weekend :shrug:

Al Czervik said:

I'll 2nd the Red Ox... good place...
This is good to read as we really aren't chain people, but probably don't want to go to downtown Utica both nights. Probably stick to Red Ox Friday since we'll have less time after all the wedding stuff and that's the better draft/baseball night anyway.

FTR, I have nothing against Detroit the city... DD is way too sensitive - A sarcastic fast food remark turns into a long winded battle.

I've never been to Utica but I did date a girl from there for a time. Some of the best boobs I ever played with. :thumbup:

FTR, I have nothing against Detroit the city... DD is way too sensitive - A sarcastic fast food remark turns into a long winded battle.
Yeah, and then you calling me a "petty man" after making such a petty comment to start all this probably didn't help either. I'm sure you conveniently overlooked that part though right?

You might not be LHUCKS, but the reason everyone says that is because you act just like him. :shrug:

Yeah, and then you calling me a "petty man" after making such a petty comment to start all this probably didn't help either. I'm sure you conveniently overlooked that part though right?

You might not be LHUCKS, but the reason everyone says that is because you act just like him. :shrug:
Pretty sure it stemmed from one rant... One post out of about 6,000.

Back to this, you've never dropped a single sarcastic comment anywhere? My posts and his posts are not even in the slightest similar, nor do I claim to know everything, & also admit certain things I know little about, like picking the right stocks. I also rarely argue with anyone. But yea, we are two peas in pod :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread